• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Ni in older ESTPs

sculpting

What does this look like? How does it appear? Does it change thier outlook in life and who they choose to befriend?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What does this look like? How does it appear? Does it change thier outlook in life and who they choose to befriend?

Yes it does.

Imagine the 60 year old army veteran, used to be crazy, go by their impulses, was a war hero due to his quick thinking. After seeing all of that death and experiencing life for all those years, he gets humbled and wise. He's still very much a people person, pleases people very easily, etc. But has this air of wisdom about him.

My grandpa was one of these ESTPs. So I know how it is.

sculpting

the ESTP I know is 45. In his younger days he was quite the party guy-much after beer talk of the ladies (many at once it seems). He has married, has two teen kids, loves his wife, can be very flirty at times in a tert Fe way, but not really hitting on you.

He uses Fe but not in an overtly sleazy, manipulative way.

Oddly he will be really honest with me at times. We have had some fairly serious conversations. The other day he stopped talking about business and started telling about this beautiful deer that had just come over the horizen at his house. This is odd as these sorts of convos with young estps end up at a dead end very quickly.

He also will pop out with odd comments about making our workplace a better place and buidling a stronger company-which is really odd for an ESTP.

He also feels like Ni-calming and grounding. If I get emo, I can feel him initially pull back a touch, the tert Fe response, but then re-engage and provide a grounding stability.

It comes and goes-like it is sort of bubbling up from inside without him really understanding where it comes from. It is an odd contrast to the ENTPs I watch as they get older. He is kind of a neat guy

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Our introverted intuition does grow with age, in some cases substantially.

But, it must be noted that even significant growth still leaves it as a "background process."

We make abstract connections, often in real time while problem solving, we are on a journey to self actualization, and we do care about our communities and the greater good of mankind. We just don't get into it so much that we lose touch with our favorite of all: Se!

I've become more grounded in the past 15 years. I've only been aware of MBTI for 2 years, but relatives that have known me my whole life say that I walk, talk, laugh, eat, etc. just as I did when younger, same attitude, same mannerisms. That being said though I'm now 35, and I can assure you that I am way more easy going, calm, level headed, and self actualized than at 20, but at both ends of this spectrum I have been full on ESTP.

Maybe Ni has something to do with this more than I am consciously aware of. But I do know that I am more content and happy for the right reasons now than ever before. And whatever helped me get here is cool with me.

P.S. I'll still be a wild, hyper bastard at 60, don't get your hopes up. :cheese:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
haha, I've already practiced my Ni during my teens and very early twenties. Probably wasn't totally the right time for it, though, and I'm obsessed with the Se function. I'll pick the other up again later on. ;) :D

Windigo

For my mom I guess Ni surfaced when she went back to school and started writing about her past. She wrote some very poignant stories about her parents and people who had passed away. She mixed very detailed captured moments with some philosophical musings. . . I recently read her diary from the same period of time and it was mostly lists of who she saw and what she did each day. A huge difference in writing styles!

For the most part however, I rarely saw this side of her. She certainly had VERY little tolerance for my Ni when it began developing in late elementary school. :D