• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and stress

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi, SPs:

How much of a problem is stress in your life?

Is it that you don't "let" stress affect you as much as some other people would?

How do you handle it when you do get stressed?

Etc.

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
i just wrote a long reply... then i accidentally closed the window.
now i cant be bothered to type anymore cos i wanna sleeeeeeeeep.

but the gist of it:
1) stress? big problem

2) no, people in my inner circle usually know im stressed (before i do), people outside this circle just think i am as i always am (since i can be quite elusive or be all Se on new "extraverted" elements, uh... i mean people).
however i am probably not as self-aware that i am stressed compared to other type, until it is rly very bad---hence the probable misconception that SPs don't "let" stress affect them.

3) the bad way:
using Se to surround myself w familar things so i can be cocooned and not have to grow or face conflict; using Ni to repackage the conflict into a bigger institutional evil that is trying to curtail my freedom to do/be/become

the good way:
accepting responsibility for the fact that i am in this shite state.
looking beyond myself to the outer context and seeing how my actions have affected others or have led me to this situation WITHOUT judging that it's the fault of the outside world, and without going all self-pity on myself.
usually these two things get me into a positive Se mode where i then just take in information and get a "feel" of my situation in a more objective way.
Then i take action, lots of action, to resolve the situation thats stressing me out, using a lot of Se to navigate my way through when the situation involves (as it usually does) other people.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am quite adept at making stress my bitch.

To be quite honest, the way I rip through life probably scares most people, and would be lethal if attempted by others.

Maybe I'm coated with Teflon, but the bottom line is that if life throws me a lemon, I make lemonade (then add vodka). If life throws me a gorilla turd, I turn it into a Snickers bar (and give it to someone else).

This is most likely indicative of many ESTPs. We remain calm under pressure. We have nerves of steel. If something does irk us we think through a few hundred ways to successfully neutralize it and then pick the method that is quickest and most simple in producing the desired result. I've always been this way. :cheese:

BUT - When stress does sneak up on us, many times it is because we did something stupid to summon it, or we let something slide that mutated into a 450 pound monster with razor sharp teeth, whatever. :doh: Then we end up losing our shit and screwing a few things up big time, and once the embarrassment of it all kicks in we quickly get our shite together and regain our composure.

So, in the big picture of things, I handle stress very well. But I am human, and when it does get the better of me it usually sucks, but is short lived. :happy:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm under a lot of stress right now so I feel qualified to answer this question.

Here's what happens when I'm stressed:
- Less patience than usual
- Headaches
- Get annoyed easily
- Neglect aspects of my life that aren't deemed absolutely necessary, such as mowing the lawn, socializing, folding laundry, etc.

Here is what helps to relieve that stress:
- Exercising
- Sleeping in
- Watching movies
- Exploring

My mode of operation in these times is basically to focus as much energy as possible into the project, until I either fail or succeed. A large portion of the stress, though, comes from the wondering, not knowing, if I'll get it done. In that regard I need to know exactly what's expected, and exactly what will happen if I don't meet expectations.

I have usually succeeded in the past, though, largely due to the sheer amount of energy I can focus into something when it absolutely needs to get done. I'm usually a very methodical, careful, and perfectionistic worker, but when I'm feeling really pressured, like I am now, I'm a fucking fire hose.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ good stuff.

Don't forget to rest when you're stressed.

Seriously.

I end up laying out at the pool and recharging, like a lizard in the sun.

After doing that with some regularity (every other day for a week or so) I end up feeling MUCH better.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Halla, I think you and all the ESTPs on the planet handle stress the same way, by charging at it head-on and smashing it to tiny bits.

There is an ESTP in my research group who makes us introverts all look like pansies.

Edit: you know, I think both ISTPs and ESTPs have the potential to get an amazing amount of work done when pressured, but the ISTP doesn't handle it as well because they think too much about it. They worry too much, whereas the ESTP just puts the pedal to the metal and does their shit.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
How much of a problem is stress in your life? Not a huge one overall, although in certain moments it feels like it.

Is it that you don't "let" stress affect you as much as some other people would? Hmm, hard to say. It affects me, but I both have the ability to block it out/ignore it, and to channel it into what I need to do. So, yes....it's hard on me, but it doesn't trigger the types of reactions that it does in other people.

In stressful situations, it usually goes like this: A short time of mentally being unable to handle it, then getting down to work, and getting it done, whether it takes me 5 minutes, or working for 10 or 15 hours straight...or longer.

If there's nothing I can do (say, an immediate family member is in for surgery), I rationalize it along the lines of "Whatever happens, happens, worrying isn't going to help", and then stop letting it bother me. And yes, that actually works.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Halla, I think you and all the ESTPs on the planet handle stress the same way, by charging at it head-on and smashing it to tiny bits.

OK, I laughed like hell reading that! I guess THAT'S what it looks like observing an ESTP resolve stress. Yeah, that's pretty much it, resolve conflict head on. I've been accused of mowing over people/sanctioned processes/customary rules of action/etc. many times. I really don't care. I'm nice about it all, but I refuse to lose. I'm just not good at it. :yim_rolling_on_the

Edit: you know, I think both ISTPs and ESTPs have the potential to get an amazing amount of work done when pressured, but the ISTP doesn't handle it as well because they think too much about it. They worry too much, whereas the ESTP just puts the pedal to the metal and does their shit.

I agree with you Rhinosaur. I've wroked with ISTPs and when the shit hit the fan, alot of the time they would say "Well we can fix this if we ______." And then I'm up out of my chair executing steps A, B, and C because (A) I heard what they said and agreed it was a sound solution to the problem, (B) I wanted us all to have time to go out and get a few beers after work, and (C) I really don't care if people get mad at me for doing my job.

Whatever. If you don't want me to be productive, then why did you hire me? Tell me what you need done, not how to do it, and if I have to bend a few rules in the process I promise there will be no evidence. :whistling: I love my introverted STP brethren, they're good peeps! :yes:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Hi Cim! :hi:

ummmmm...27 percent? I dunno how to measure "how much" really. I mean, sometimes more than others I guess.

Is it that you don't "let" stress affect you as much as some other people would?

I think I worry less than a lot of other people do. This can both lessen stress and increase it depending on the situation! :laugh:

This is probly the area I have changed the most as I've gotten older. When I was younger, I used to bottle up stress more and kind of retreat from it as much as possible until I completely blew up or broke down crying. As I have matured, I have learned to let things out quicker and thus move on and feel better without dwelling on stuff. I have been known to throw things or yell on occasion, but I very rarely yell AT people.

I'm awesome. :cool:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

There isn't much that I can think of that stresses me out. I'm thinking...Some work related issues can stress me out. This usually happens when others are directly involved -negatively- with my ability to do my job correctly.

Romantic relationships can stress me out if I don't know what the other person requires of me or if their actions/expectations of me don't make sense in a logical way.

There have been periods of my life, say 6 months or so, where I have been under great deals of stress.

I mean, some stress can invigorate me. It's not a bad thing. It can light a fire under me. But if something is stressing me out in a very low key way (big stresses can be those invigorating ones) for a long period of time this can really do damage. This is where stress sneaks up on me. I'm quick to shirk off a lot of what "bothers" me. I usually think the annoyance will pass anyway and not try and worry about it. Uh. I'll give an example. It might make it easier to explain.

I was at a job that I despised but the pay was fantastic. I hated going to work. But when the work day was over I stopped thinking about it. Yet slowly this was taking a toll on me. I felt trapped. I was a different person during this time. I began to hate myself. I became very critical and overly sensitive of myself and others. I wasn't having fun with life anymore.

The best way for me to handle stress is through change. If I'm under extreme stress (like my above job example) I need an extreme life change. If it's mundane, then any kind of physical exertion is helpful. I really like taking my bicycle out for a 30-40 mile ride. That stuff really re-energizes me. :D

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

There is an ESTP in my research group who makes us introverts all look like pansies.

CRY! THIS IS TRUE!!!!!!!!!

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP

It had used to be, before I was pretty immature about my time management and money, and I'd cause myself so much unnecessary stress. I think it should be noted I tested as INTP until about a year ago when I made some pretty signifigant life changes for the better. Underneath different habits and aspirations I began to test as an ISTP regularly.

I think stress effects me less than most, I definately don't get stressed about relationships as most do.

In the past I would try to ignore my problems rather than confront them, which just naturally led to bigger, nastier problems. I'd like to think I've grown up a lot over the past year and am now addressing my issues as they crop up, and if something cannot be resolved on the spot I make arrangements and plan to do so later on, and I make sure I follow through.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
I usually just handle with the problem by working my way through it. However there has been a time when I did kinda break down. It was the week before finals week and I was stressed with organic chemistry, my girlfriend dumped me, and I made out with some random asian chick who then assumed I was her boyfriend. I dealt with this pretty poorly by not sleeping, swimming two miles the next morning, skipping class, and leaving town for the weekend to go party/binge drink.

It caused a shitstorm of drama and I felt the repercussions until the school year ended.

wolfy

awsm

It can be a problem. It mostly stems from a feeling that people are moving in on me and controlling me and my environment then me needing to push back or me feeling a need to control people and the environment around me to produce some kind of result.

If I make sure I stay out of my head and not try to force too much I don't stress much, if at all.

Th cause of my stress is for the most part getting caught in a mental loop. I've learnt to catch it and break it and I do that by just focusing on what is real and tangible around me.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I am quite adept at making stress my bitch.

To be quite honest, the way I rip through life probably scares most people, and would be lethal if attempted by others.

Maybe I'm coated with Teflon, but the bottom line is that if life throws me a lemon, I make lemonade (then add vodka). If life throws me a gorilla turd, I turn it into a Snickers bar (and give it to someone else).

This is most likely indicative of many ESTPs. We remain calm under pressure. We have nerves of steel. If something does irk us we think through a few hundred ways to successfully neutralize it and then pick the method that is quickest and most simple in producing the desired result. I've always been this way. :cheese:

BUT - When stress does sneak up on us, many times it is because we did something stupid to summon it, or we let something slide that mutated into a 450 pound monster with razor sharp teeth, whatever. :doh: Then we end up losing our shit and screwing a few things up big time, and once the embarrassment of it all kicks in we quickly get our shite together and regain our composure.

So, in the big picture of things, I handle stress very well. But I am human, and when it does get the better of me it usually sucks, but is short lived. :happy:
Wow, totally.

This whole move was a huge embarrassment, what with packing so late and not getting the job situation taken care of soon enough and throwing all my checks away before I left, but with the help of others I got it all straightened out and with style. :cool:

Now onto calling my potential and future workplace! :D