• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Women ISTP/ESTPs

B

brainheart

Have you took any of the tests?

I've taken every test and read everything, believe me- I am not exaggerrating. This personality type crap has become my primary obsession. Started at INTP, then INFP, then INFJ, INTJ, ISFP, now...? (I just took the one at mypersonality and I tested as an ISTP.)

I relate to both the ISFP and the ISTP. At bestfit, I am definitely of the improviser temperament, but I have more of a chart the course interaction style of the ISTP than the behind-the-scenes of the ISFP. (An INFP friend of mine was convinced I was a 'J' because of my tendency to express my opinion bluntly as well as my tendency to take over in a lot of situations. I HATE being told what to do, and I hate schlepping around, waiting for someone to make a decision.)

I would say, yeah, I'm an ISTP, except this profound mechanical/technical skill bit- well, I can't relate to that. In film school (I was a film major), my main problem was the technical aspect. I didn't want to think about the technical, I just wanted to take the camera and do whatever and see what the result would be- very experiential, trial by fire. (But isn't that an SP thing? vs an extraverted thinking thing?) Anyway, I hate video games, I hate math, but I do love tearing down walls and building stuff and pruning trees, etc.

Also I like theories that have practical applications, like the personality theory stuff. I think I've hung onto this for so long because I, well, had a mental breakdown of sorts a couple of years ago and I am trying to find out as much as possible about myself so: 1. It won't happen again and 2. I can take this practical knowledge and correct myself and live up to my potential, because I have become a seriously lazy slacker, which I wasn't really before. Also, 3, I want to eventually get off meds because I suspect that they are part of the reason I have become a seriously lazy slacker. I used to always be moving, always doing stuff. Now I just sit in front of the computer and read about personality theory.

So... ISFP because I like film, words. ISTP because I am more matter of fact and analytical- always researching, studying, learning. Both because I feel a deep connection to the natural world vs the abstract.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know your an ISTP when your father in law opens the front door and has to look up to see you because you climbed up the columns and are holding yourself horizontal with feet pushed against the left column and hands against the right.

B

brainheart

When I was three I used to climb up the door frames in our house. Now (when I'm in good shape) I just do pull ups on them.

That sounds awesome, though.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I've taken every test and read everything, believe me- I am not exaggerrating. This personality type crap has become my primary obsession. Started at INTP, then INFP, then INFJ, INTJ, ISFP, now...? (I just took the one at mypersonality and I tested as an ISTP.)

I relate to both the ISFP and the ISTP. At bestfit, I am definitely of the improviser temperament, but I have more of a chart the course interaction style of the ISTP than the behind-the-scenes of the ISFP. (An INFP friend of mine was convinced I was a 'J' because of my tendency to express my opinion bluntly as well as my tendency to take over in a lot of situations. I HATE being told what to do, and I hate schlepping around, waiting for someone to make a decision.)

I would say, yeah, I'm an ISTP, except this profound mechanical/technical skill bit- well, I can't relate to that. In film school (I was a film major), my main problem was the technical aspect. I didn't want to think about the technical, I just wanted to take the camera and do whatever and see what the result would be- very experiential, trial by fire. (But isn't that an SP thing? vs an extraverted thinking thing?) Anyway, I hate video games, I hate math, but I do love tearing down walls and building stuff and pruning trees, etc.

Also I like theories that have practical applications, like the personality theory stuff. I think I've hung onto this for so long because I, well, had a mental breakdown of sorts a couple of years ago and I am trying to find out as much as possible about myself so: 1. It won't happen again and 2. I can take this practical knowledge and correct myself and live up to my potential, because I have become a seriously lazy slacker, which I wasn't really before. Also, 3, I want to eventually get off meds because I suspect that they are part of the reason I have become a seriously lazy slacker. I used to always be moving, always doing stuff. Now I just sit in front of the computer and read about personality theory.

So... ISFP because I like film, words. ISTP because I am more matter of fact and analytical- always researching, studying, learning. Both because I feel a deep connection to the natural world vs the abstract.

well being apart of film doesn't mean your not an ISTP. lol Maybe you should read up on socionics insteasd of MBTI. For ISTP primary function is Si then creative Te. For ISFP it's Si then creative Fe. Meaning are you more of a tactical improviser or changer of feelings?.

I'm defiantly a borderline ISTP, INTP all the INTP i talk to sound too nerdy and some of the ISTPs i talk take retarded risks. lol.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know your ISTP when you are at an apartment complex and instead of walking down the walkway to the stairs you jump up to the second floor and climb the rail. You then have to put on a bandaid because of the cut you got and you go back out and do it again.

Or you slow down to 30 MPH on the highway because an 18 wheeler was riding you. I got yelled at for that one to not ever go up against an 18 wheeler again.

B

brainheart

Oh shit, don't throw socionics into this. I am not delving into another system. Just what I need, more factors to complicate things. :doh:

Yeah, I relate to INTPs a lot. I hung out at intpforum for a long while. But yes, no offense to the people there, but I'm not all that nerdy; I'm down for a good time and I know how to interact with the world.

I've taken retarded risks, but no longer. I'm 35 and a mom, so I imagine that's part of it. Not that the temptation isn't still there sometimes, though...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh shit, don't throw socionics into this. I am not delving into another system. Just what I need, more factors to complicate things. :doh:

Yeah, I relate to INTPs a lot. I hung out at intpforum for a long while. But yes, no offense to the people there, but I'm not all that nerdy; I'm down for a good time and I know how to interact with the world.

I've taken retarded risks, but no longer. I'm 35 and a mom, so I imagine that's part of it. Not that the temptation isn't still there sometimes, though...

Im almost 30 and a dad, I have slowed down. The scary part is that I have never seen them as risks. I do it because I can, fear is a guide to know when you push to far. The scary part is when I dont understand what there is to fear.

I spent some time at INTPc, but I got bored because they were more into how a scenario fits a theory instead of how the theory fits the scenario. We kept going at things a different way. I would ask more questions to get more detail while they start jumping in with theory.

B

brainheart

Totally, 100%. (Regarding both paragraphs.)

And do you feel afraid when you do risky things? If anything, I feel a sense of calm. Almost zen-like. It's seductive, which is part of the reason why I stay away from it now.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Totally, 100%. (Regarding both paragraphs.)

And do you feel afraid when you do risky things? If anything, I feel a sense of calm. Almost zen-like. It's seductive, which is part of the reason why I stay away from it now.

Its normally just spur of the moment and afterwards I think to myself, why did I do that. Its like I was driving down the highway, I saw everyone was stopped on the highway so I went 60MPH right up to where the traffic was backed up to and just went straight off the highway into the grass and cut over to the side road. Didnt slow down or anything. I didnt think about it much or have time for fear or anything.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Sky diving, sure. It's on my to do list. Base jumping, maybe. Rock climbing? Yeah, I've been meaning to pick that up forever.... but this just gives me a heart attack:

[YOUTUBE="Fpm0m6bVfrM"]Speed climbing[/YOUTUBE]

:shocking: :sick:

The idea that he probably -IS- an STP (or possibly ENTP), makes me feel like the wimpiest ISTP ever.

It's pretty rational to not want to do something like that.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Crap, here it comes again...

Could I be an ISTP? (I'm a female, by the way. That's why I'm bringing it up on this thread.)

Potential evidence:

1. Would purposely ride my bike at full speed into ditches as a kid, just to see what would happen.
2. Used to free climb because I didn't want to 'deal' with all the ropes.
3. Used to want to be a professional snowboarder. Love pointing full speed off cornices.
4. I am quite analytical. I like to research. I feel the need to be an expert in whatever I am dealing with.
5. The other day our neighbor noticed a hawk in our backyard. My first inclination was to be skeptical: "probably a turkey vulture. she doesn't know the proper name for anything. she's always calling hornets 'bees'." But then I asked her specific descriptive questions, instantly said. "probably a sharp-shinned hawk. Potentially a juvenile." I proceeded to head out with my bird guide. Turns out I was right.
6. I love taking things apart, solving problems, the 'MacGyver moments'. Not one to be a shoulder to cry on. But if I can think of a way to help you, I will.
7. I am typically not a touchy-feely person. (Unless I'm drunk and punching you in the shoulder.)
8. I am ridiculously competitive.
9. Very dry, potentially abrasive sense of humor. Live for one-liners.
10. Have been called the 'male' in my relationship by therapists, due to I guess my emotional distance, and immense need for 'space'.

But...

1. I love art, music, literature.
2. I have a completely irrational love for nature. If someone steps on a bug I want to punch that person in the stomach.
3. I get very emotional when moved by something aesthetically-pleasing.
4. I could care less about most sports, especially football. (I enjoy watching baseball, tennis, and soccer sometimes- but typically, not interested.)
5. I suck at math and lose interest in anything overly technical.

Don't know. Any insight would be helpful.

haha...this sounds very similar to myself including the highlighted part. My ENFP friend was talking on the phone outside once and was just randomly smashing ants while talking. Not really paying attention. I was like, "Stop! That's not fair. They're outside. Where they're supposed to be. Leave them alone." In fact, I relate to all your "BUT" items. I'd much rather play a sport than watch it but I like football a lot. Can't stand soccer tho...but being American, I think that might be genetically encoded in my DNA. :alttongue:

Base jumping boggles my mind. Sorry. That's too much for me!

I think INTP and ISTP and INTJ are very close. I know I can relate to all of them very well in different arenas. I'd say INTJ more than INTP. I don't care that much about theory or debate - unless it's something I'm passionate about and even then, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I just state my facts/opinion and if they keep going it's a "we'll have to agree to disagree" thing. I do know HOW to think abstractly (low S) but it has to back up something that makes a difference. If that makes sense. I understand why some of your friends think you might be J. But when something isn't right. It isn't right and something either needs to be said or fixed.

Maya Z

MBTI Type
ISFP
But...

1. I love art, music, literature.
2. I have a completely irrational love for nature. If someone steps on a bug I want to punch that person in the stomach.
3. I get very emotional when moved by something aesthetically-pleasing.

Kingfisher is an ISTP, and he is also deeply moved by nature, art, and music. He listens to music for hours, just sitting and listening and not doing anything else. He gets very passionate sometimes when he talks about art or music. And if he feels like the person he is talking to doesn't share his enthusiasm he gets upset. It's cute.
Brainheart, a lot of your post sounds like Kingfisher, who is an ISTP. But I don't confess to know much about MBTI....

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's pretty rational to not want to do something like that.

Nah, its just fear not wanting to do that. Doesnt have anything to do with rational. Rational is understanding what your doing. People can pull of things certain types consider stupid or crazy because they can. This is pretty much the motto I live by. I dont not do it because I fear the consquences. I do it because I can, if I fail, then you just gotta step back, analyze and try again. Pain is nothing to fear, I am still alive, havnt broken a bone yet, I must be doing something right.

Know your limits, only then can you safely push them further.

B

brainheart

Thanks for all the insight- more would be appreciated as well, if anyone has any. :)

I started reading Understanding Yourself and Others by Linda Berens yesterday. The descriptions of the functions are helpful, although I still, for some reason, view the distinctions between Ti and Fi as somewhat nebulous. Example- Ti evaluates according to principles, Fi according to values. Huh? Look in the dictionary- values are defined as " a set of principles". Also, I think because they are both such unconscious functions it is incredibly difficult for me to delineate between the two. I think how I think, whatever that is.

At least I know for sure about the Se now, though. I can definitely relate to this component of Se: "An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention." I am ridiculous like this. It gets profoundly irritating sometimes, but it's also why I know as much as I do. :D

Also, for anyone who is curious, ISxPs are supposed to be creative with Ni, so if you are a creative type, this is going to feel like a pretty prevalent function to you. And as far as the ISTP goes, extraverted feeling is supposed to be an Achilles' heel of sorts. We wish we were better at it but we often seem to mess it up and we can find ourselves obsessing sometimes over what others think about us and we can hate ourselves for it, because it seems so contradictory to our primary natures. Wait- did I just say 'we'? Hmm. I know this is a serious issue of mine, and I know that when I was younger I didn't understand romantic relationships at all. I'd be friends with a guy and then he'd start slobbering all over me, declare his affections, and all I could think was, "What the hell? You used to be cool. Now your emotions have gotten in the way and I can't even deal with being around you anymore. And I would cut the guy off, 100%. Never talk to him again. Eventually I had an experience where I was the one slobbering and then cut off and wow, was it devastating. And I still beat myself up over it, because I should have been more in control of my feelings. My feelings got in the way and screwed everything up. (Although I now have greater compassion for those slobberers of the past.)

Maya, thanks for what you said. It was helpful. Two questions, you being an ISFP and all: what about how I described myself is markedly different than you? And what, if anything, is similar or the same?

B

brainheart

haha...this sounds very similar to myself including the highlighted part. My ENFP friend was talking on the phone outside once and was just randomly smashing ants while talking. Not really paying attention. I was like, "Stop! That's not fair. They're outside. Where they're supposed to be. Leave them alone."

Those bastard insect killers, especially when they are outside. :steam: It really, really pisses me off.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those bastard insect killers, especially when they are outside. :steam: It really, really pisses me off.

If bugs are inside and they do not bite I will pick them up and throw them in the grass. Its just something I have always done. Its not driven by concious feelings. Its just pointless to kill these bugs and there is no rational reason to kill them. Ants in the yard will bite so I kill them, rational. Spiders in the grass are fine because they usually run, by the front door I will kill them to keep them from getting in. If someone doesnt want me to kill the spider I will get a piece of paper and put it outside away from the door.

To me this is Ti. Its all logic and rational.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Nah, its just fear not wanting to do that. Doesnt have anything to do with rational. Rational is understanding what your doing. People can pull of things certain types consider stupid or crazy because they can. This is pretty much the motto I live by. I dont not do it because I fear the consquences. I do it because I can, if I fail, then you just gotta step back, analyze and try again. Pain is nothing to fear, I am still alive, havnt broken a bone yet, I must be doing something right.

Know your limits, only then can you safely push them further.

Dude that guy was like climbing a fucking mountain of rocks without any ropes LOL sounds nuts. It's pretty reasonable to think to yourself that doing something like that is fucking insanity. There are some things in this world that people do that are really irrational.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Kingfisher is an ISTP, and he is also deeply moved by nature, art, and music. He listens to music for hours, just sitting and listening and not doing anything else. He gets very passionate sometimes when he talks about art or music. And if he feels like the person he is talking to doesn't share his enthusiasm he gets upset. It's cute.
Brainheart, a lot of your post sounds like Kingfisher, who is an ISTP. But I don't confess to know much about MBTI....

Consider me the third one as well. I love music, and art I played in 2 bands and I can play 3 instruments. So no worries.. :newwink:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude that guy was like climbing a fucking mountain of rocks without any ropes LOL sounds nuts. It's pretty reasonable to think to yourself that doing something like that is fucking insanity. There are some things in this world that people do that are really irrational.

The argument I have all the time with my wife "but if I can then why not." I went through this the other day explaining how fun hydroplaning is at 70MPH. When you do it over and over and over you know what your doing and can even handle the unexpected. I started to equate it to drifting in a straight line. As your car starts to veer you gotta ease the wheel into it. The loss of traction is also what keeps you from breaking into a crazy spin and your momentum straight. You also have to be prepared for when you gain traction that your tires are in the direction they need to be in. Like when he slipped, his grip is beyond what he needs and has no problem handling it. I can rationalize anything people eventually give up with me or just have to put there foot down and say NO because you cannot argue with what works all you can do is try to get them to fear the unexpected which doesnt work with me :D

edit: getting me to fear the unexpected just gives me something else to watch out for and be prepared for when I do it again.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If bugs are inside and they do not bite I will pick them up and throw them in the grass. Its just something I have always done. Its not driven by concious feelings. Its just pointless to kill these bugs and there is no rational reason to kill them. Ants in the yard will bite so I kill them, rational. Spiders in the grass are fine because they usually run, by the front door I will kill them to keep them from getting in. If someone doesnt want me to kill the spider I will get a piece of paper and put it outside away from the door.

To me this is Ti. Its all logic and rational.

Any non-biting insect in my home I will catch and release outside. Anything outside biting or non-biting I don't kill. It's where they are supposed to be. But inside my house? Dem spiders better run for the hills...:threaten: