• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensing People through the Eyes of an Intuit

Unique

As a recently discovered intuitive I think I can provide some insight. Seeing how much I wasn't like the sensors allowed me to come to this conclusion.

Sensors usually communicate differently, being an introverted intuitive type I usually only talk when the subject at hand becomes "abstract" I'll try to expand on this...

Sensors seem more than content with just "every day" chatter such as details of current events or details of their lives or lives of people they know

Such things usually make me become very detached from the conversation and go into an almost day dream state... take no offense by this... I don't mind really

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
As a recently discovered intuitive I think I can provide some insight. Seeing how much I wasn't like the sensors allowed me to come to this conclusion.

Sensors usually communicate differently, being an introverted intuitive type I usually only talk when the subject at hand becomes "abstract" I'll try to expand on this...

Sensors seem more than content with just "every day" chatter such as details of current events or details of their lives or lives of people they know

Such things usually make me become very detached from the conversation and go into an almost day dream state... take no offense by this... I don't mind really

Of course the communication is different. That's the good thing about this site and talking to different people. We can work on it.

It is easier to talk to people about everyday stuff, but that gets boring. I would rather have more indepth/intellectual conversations and question why you came to the conclusions that you have. I am actually keeping you on your toes IRL. I am not looking for flaws but rather the foundations.

This may piss some people off, but hey, thats who i am. I don't claim to be smart and a know-it-all. I do enjoy hearing information i previously was unaware of.

veins

Another question... I found out I'm, that I know of, the only Sensing one out of everyone. They're any combination of N types. haha So I'm wondering how intuits see sensing people generally. I often feel...I'm not taken to all too well. Like my approaches are wild and misleading. My friends and neutral family are a bunch of Ns. I only just noticed. So are sensing people sometimes seen as irrational to intuits? I'm more interested than worried.
I've met people who are unnecessary in their decisions, but I've also met those who are very, very efficient, proficient, and whatnot - for both iNtuitives and Sensors. I guess it really depends on the person. I've gotten along well with a few people who primarily uses Sensing functions. There were times when there's a conflict of priorities, but eh... *shrugs* Usually got past that with not too much issue. I try to look at people as themselves when I'm interacting with them, rather than as ESFJ's, ESTP's, or ENTP's. It kind of helps me maintain perspective and allows me to adapt more easily to the situation.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
So...you were talking about you, then. Got it!

Exaaactly.

It sure didn't seem that way when we had conversations on Vent. You were one of the few people I felt I could have a normal conversation with.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Yeah, I've been kinda iffy about your newly-discovered type, Unique. I think I like you better as an ISTP.

Nevertheless, they can get 'stuck' in their mindset like the intuitives, and it can be challenging for someone else to explain why reading behind the lines or questioning the underlying purpose are necessary. And everything, including the most obvious meanings, must be spelled out piece by piece in a linear fashion, if you're dealing with a sensor with zero intuition. There's little room to jump around from thought to thought; it does sometimes feel suffocating.
Man, I can't believe I used to think I was intuitive because of some stupid test. I've always had to have things spelled out for me. My mom always complained that she had to draw a picture for me, and she's an ESFJ!

I use Te more often around sensors than I do with other intuitives (except the NTJs). Explaining my ideas in an action-ready format saves plenty of those "Huh?", "What's the point?" and the "You're over-thinking this" expressions for a more constructive moment.
Thank you!!! :cheese:

Yet everything becomes a larger pain when I must explain my Ni to someone else, and it's complicated by the fact that many people simply do not live in the far, far distant future as I do. I loose just about everyone except the strong Ni dominants and those who are decades older than I am. :doh:
Can you give me an example? I'm curious now :)

Yes I get that a lot too. I tend to more feel like the irrational one. Sometimes when I'm around sensors (and it appears I have the opposite situation you have Auto/Virtuosi=L.A.P.) I feel like I have nothing to contribute because whenever I open my mouth all this useless nonsense comes out.
You shouldn't feel like that. It's worth something, and I think a good many of us realize that, we just often don't personally know what to do with it.

And if you sensors would like some compliments (and who doesn't :D ), here:

I feel humbled by sensors' grounded practicality. I'm impressed by their ability to see their path and others' with (seemingly) such ease. I admire how deeply they are in touch and in sync with their world. I envy their ability to feel and experience things so deeply and intimately without over-analyzing it. Sometimes I'm too busy thinking about how I should react instead of just reacting or I'm too busy making something about something else rather than just taking it as it is. I struggle to let go and just 'be' sometimes, which can, paradoxically, lead to a more shallow experience of life. I have the sense, for example, that I could never feel the awe and wonder my ISFP friend feels at the sight of a beautiful bird or a spectacular sunset.
Yeah, totally. I was amazed and kind of put off when walking with my friend once and telling him how entranced I was by how beautiful of a day it was. I was spellbound, but he said, "I guess. I prefer cloudy weather." My face went: :mellow: Only later did I find out he was intuitive, specifically ENTP. Regardless if you prefer cloudy weather, I don't see how you couldn't be in love with the magic of such a wondrous amazing view!!!

What about Inuits through the eyes of Sensing people?
Dude, I TOTALLY read it that way at first! Then was disappointed when it wasn't about Native Americans. :(

I'll just have to post some since this thread is sorely missing them:

groenland_inuit.jpg

inuit_large.jpg

inuit_antiga.jpg

+1 Hahaha.

With some sensors, I get this. Kinda like,"OK, but what's the point???"

I admire a lot of things about sensing, like the whole groundedness thing, and just seeing things as they are and not feeling the need to extrapolate or project the now into the future. I often wish I could be as present.

i am so glad to hear you put it this way, captain. :smile: there is so much speculation about how Ns can't get their emotional nor intellectual needs met with Ss; about how boring or deadend our interactions would be. but i find my husband (istp at heart) to be the most insightful people i've ever met. and i know a lot of smart people, irl and online. regarding his Ti/Se, he indulges my daliances into the unknown intuitive realms of foggyness and hypothetical pondering pretty well, although he'd rather be fixing the car, or putting up wood for the winter. he's nice about it, but thinks being preoccupied with thoughts that might, most likely, never amount to anything, is a total waste of time and scoffs at 'eggheads' posing around trying to be smarter than everyone else, while he's over there cranking out answers and solutions to actual real-world problems and issues. furthermore, his perception is spot on regarding people and their intentions.

To both of these: it's not that I don't see any use for these thoughts ever, it's just that I often don't see a use for them right now. Like when Meseri is trying to talk about society and their values, etc when we're in the middle of working. Sure, I tell anecdotes and jokes (and so does he) while we're trying to work, but meh. That makes more sense to me. If you want to have a philosophical conversation, let's sit down at Starbucks somewhere and then end it with talking about how all of that reasoning can be applied to some kind of action we can take part in.

Yes, I think there's a place for every kind of theory and philosophy, but not just at any time and place. I'd rather wait till they're more or less relevant to what's going on. I think it makes much more sense that way, don't you?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nah...i don't...what i'm talking about with someone never has to have anything to do with what we're doing at that moment and usually doesn't... :smile:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So are sensing people sometimes seen as irrational to intuits? I'm more interested than worried.
I would have thought it would be the other way around. Intuits are more at home in the abstract and imaginary and can lose sight of the practical and applied. By the definitions of the system, I would suspect the N to have more potential for irrationality or at least thinking in terms of systems that don't map well to reality.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, I think there's a place for every kind of theory and philosophy, but not just at any time and place. I'd rather wait till they're more or less relevant to what's going on. I think it makes much more sense that way, don't you?

If I'm hanging out with a bunch of N types, we can kick up a conversation about anything(philosophical/theoretical/and things completely nonsensical) day and night, no matter where we are. I love that we can do that together, but I don't want to necessarily talk about theoretical things all the time. I almost equally want to be out doing things; but, I am almost always game for some intellectual sparing as well. I don't need a concrete reason.

If I'm with strong S types, specifically SP types, then my desire to discuss things becomes a desire to do things. I get all inspired and I become better able to translate my thoughts into actions. On of my S friends and I started a business together in college. It worked because we both have something equally awesome to offer, and knew how to make it work. Either preference is fine with me, and satisfy two completely different needs: the need to do, and the need to understand and consider.

My S friends come to me when they've gotten themselves into something ridiculous as a result of their impulsive behavior and they need help(almost always ESP).
I go to them when I want to party, go climb a mountain, or take a random and impulsive trip to somewhere with little to no money. It's love baby.:wubbie::yes:

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I love mah SFs to bits most of all. :wubbie: I do think the biggest issue is that I overanalyze my feelings and situations around me more than my ESFP, ISFP, ESFJ, and ISFJ friends...I can say something like, "Oh, that's so sad," and get a response like, "Well, that's life, we move on," when I'm all ready to get down and dirty into some humanities discussion!! :steam: Also an S is more likely to call BS on you for being a drama queen. And they're right, too! :D

Unique

Exaaactly.

It sure didn't seem that way when we had conversations on Vent. You were one of the few people I felt I could have a normal conversation with.

I can have a generally pleasant conversation with any type

I don't live in the moment and am oblivious to detail but that that doesn't necessarily make me your typical detached evil brain in the jar

I get accused of being all sorts of things really, back in the CC days she thought I was an F type, the thing we can say for sure though is I'm all about my Pness

No offense to those in vent but we have some particularly eccentric people in there, I think you would have to meet me in person for that part of me to show

In person small talk bores me and I don't engage most people especially at work etc and I mostly talk in the presence of my intuitive friends. (though NFs they are. where are the NTs?) usually sensory talk doesn't interest me but I value it

After reading the long INTP descp over at INTPc I'm convinced its me, the part about hoarding and memory recall was simply mind blowing (always wondered what it all meant)

Let this be a proof that intuitives and sensors can interact with each other in a peaceful understanding way, I ask you to embrace my true type

Those who know me well (my friends... I'm a hard guy to get to know) agree with this change 100%

Oh and ISTP fit even less than ESTP at least ESTP fit my social mask I whip out when I have a lot of energy to burn

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My two best friends are an ISTP and an ESTP. They are capable of being more "on the same page" with one another than I, whereas I am the schemer of the group.

This, of course, varies wildly from time to time, particularly with the ISTP. He often goes off into wild hypothetical questioning that is not rational by any means. Even I, a very strong Ni-dom, can't humor his imaginative scenarios at times.

I guess what I'm saying is, though N-S interactions can be largely archetypal, they can also be very uncharacteristic with amazing regularity.

As for what I think of S's in general? Well, I don't feel comfortable applying this to such a large group of variables, but I will say that a typical S greatly helps me apply Occam's Razor to my ideas. So I value their input, though they have the potential to be quite frustrating (I probably do the same to them).

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Another question... I found out I'm, that I know of, the only Sensing one out of everyone. They're any combination of N types. haha So I'm wondering how intuits see sensing people generally. I often feel...I'm not taken to all too well. Like my approaches are wild and misleading. My friends and neutral family are a bunch of Ns. I only just noticed. So are sensing people sometimes seen as irrational to intuits? I'm more interested than worried.

I really skimmed but I want to tell you, I think my brother is ISTP and boy, the sensors around him really don't get him (and he doesn't get them) at this point he is dating an ENFP who apparently 'gets' him somewhat. Are you sure you are surrounded by N's? It's possible that they don't get you, but (going by my brother) I think the ISTP is unique in that they sort of have their own world anyway. N's and S's might have trouble getting it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really skimmed but I want to tell you, I think my brother is ISTP and boy, the sensors around him really don't get him (and he doesn't get them) at this point he is dating an ENFP who apparently 'gets' him somewhat. Are you sure you are surrounded by N's? It's possible that they don't get you, but (going by my brother) I think the ISTP is unique in that they sort of have their own world anyway. N's and S's might have trouble getting it.

I dont get my dad(ISTJ), but we get along good. We have such different ways of solving problems that we tend to focus more on the outcome than each persons way of getting there. Its kinda like we take turns trying things.

I do feel alot different than pretty much everyone. Like a nerd in S clothing. Its the same conflict an ENFP has with being bubbly and serious. Mine is between being a nerd and thriving on action that others just deem as stupid and pointless.

edit: as an example I am a computer programmer and was talking to a few people I worked with about a dream job. They wanted to build a business around computers and programming, I wanted to open a custom sound and automotive shop, yet they said I was one of the best programmers they met.

B

brainheart

It seems like SJs are my polar opposites while the NTs and NFs are my comrades. Some SPs are good, some I don't relate to all that well, especially the super-duper sports jocks or the frat boys or the ones who love movies like the Hangover. (No offense, super-duper sports jocks, et al; which come to think of it is one big group.) But that could also have to do with my upbringing, I don't know. NT/NF heavy family. I think introverted feeling skews things. I tend to side with the dominant function theory vs the temperament theory. Although me and my ESFP husband have loads of fun and, wow, he fit the aforementioned group, although maybe I would omit the 'super-duper'.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
My S friends come to me when they've gotten themselves into something ridiculous as a result of their impulsive behavior and they need help(almost always ESP).
I go to them when I want to party, go climb a mountain, or take a random and impulsive trip to somewhere with little to no money. It's love baby.:wubbie::yes:

Right on. I so want to randomly take a boat trip somewhere, or go kayaking down an intense river sometime. LET'S GOOO! :D

What kind of problems do they come to you with?

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Right on. I so want to randomly take a boat trip somewhere, or go kayaking down an intense river sometime. LET'S GOOO! :D

:bananallama:

What kind of problems do they come to you with?

When we were younger:

Bail
Rides
Housing
Money
Food

:)...the bare necessities. None of those things anymore though. Although, I never know when I might get some crazy phone call.

On a serious note, they also come to me when they need a non-traditional or alternative means of doing something that will have a real impact on their lives. Such as:

Info on alternative doctors
Alternatives to certain medications
Non-traditional schooling or teaching methods for their kids