• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensing People through the Eyes of an Intuit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another question... I found out I'm, that I know of, the only Sensing one out of everyone. They're any combination of N types. haha So I'm wondering how intuits see sensing people generally. I often feel...I'm not taken to all too well. Like my approaches are wild and misleading. My friends and neutral family are a bunch of Ns. I only just noticed. So are sensing people sometimes seen as irrational to intuits? I'm more interested than worried.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Oh goodness, no, we don't think sensors are irrational (except you, ESFPs ;)). Especially ISTPs, who typically have brains and are actually rooted in reality, unlike their N brethren.

Sometimes I get impatient with them, as their goals and priorities are often very different from mine. It's also difficult to explain the way I think about some concepts to them. They just give me a blank expression and say "you mean like...x/y/z?" No. That's not what I mean. Sigh.

Anyway, that might be what you're seeing. Ns around you probably want to share their ideas with you, but struggle to translate the abstract into concrete terms :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i just get this feeling that they're listening to me thinking....oookkkaaayyy...but why is this important? why do you care about this? and why are you telling me this...what am i supposed to do with it? :D

Trope

MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w6
^ Very very true in some instances ._.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh goodness, no, we don't think sensors are irrational (except you, ESFPs ;)). Especially ISTPs, who typically have brains and are actually rooted in reality, unlike their N brethren.

Sometimes I get impatient with them, as their goals and priorities are often very different from mine. It's also difficult to explain the way I think about some concepts to them. They just give me a blank expression and say "you mean like...x/y/z?" No. That's not what I mean. Sigh.

Anyway, that might be what you're seeing. Ns around you probably want to share their ideas with you, but struggle to translate the abstract into concrete terms :)

I'm with Poppy. If I'm struck by anything, when dealing with a strong S, it's the capacity to maintain a narrow focus on the present moment. And I'll add that I even envy it a little.

It does get frustrating, trying to 'translate' N thoughts into something that'll fit intelligibly into the narrower S context. I get impationt with differences in goals & priorities, too.

But sometimes I find feedback from an S point-of-view really useful, because it's really easy to lose sight of the trees from the forest when you're a strong N.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another question... I found out I'm, that I know of, the only Sensing one out of everyone. They're any combination of N types. haha So I'm wondering how intuits see sensing people generally. I often feel...I'm not taken to all too well. Like my approaches are wild and misleading. My friends and neutral family are a bunch of Ns. I only just noticed. So are sensing people sometimes seen as irrational to intuits? I'm more interested than worried.

Ah, I agree with Poppy again. :)

They're great people: they live in the moment and typically avoid the general N pitfall of over-analyzing information where it is not needed. Seriously, I think several iNtuitives need your group's daily dosage of reality a.s.a.p.

Nevertheless, they can get 'stuck' in their mindset like the intuitives, and it can be challenging for someone else to explain why reading behind the lines or questioning the underlying purpose are necessary. And everything, including the most obvious meanings, must be spelled out piece by piece in a linear fashion, if you're dealing with a sensor with zero intuition. There's little room to jump around from thought to thought; it does sometimes feel suffocating.

i just get this feeling that they're listening to me thinking....oookkkaaayyy...but why is this important? why do you care about this? and why are you telling me this...what am i supposed to do with it? :D

I use Te more often around sensors than I do with other intuitives (except the NTJs). Explaining my ideas in an action-ready format saves plenty of those "Huh?", "What's the point?" and the "You're over-thinking this" expressions for a more constructive moment.

Yet everything becomes a larger pain when I must explain my Ni to someone else, and it's complicated by the fact that many people simply do not live in the far, far distant future as I do. I loose just about everyone except the strong Ni dominants and those who are decades older than I am. :doh:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Not in general, actually. I'm more likely to see other Intuitives as irrational than Sensors, if they've made different leaps than myself. I really only see sensors as irrational if they're religious fundamentalists or something like that. Their decisions usually make sense in context of what they value.

I'd say Sensors just seem a little... slow, but more thorough. And maybe superficial. But definitely not irrational. I'd be quicker to call myself irrational.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes I get that a lot too. I tend to more feel like the irrational one. Sometimes when I'm around sensors (and it appears I have the opposite situation you have Auto/Virtuosi=L.A.P.) I feel like I have nothing to contribute because whenever I open my mouth all this useless nonsense comes out.

And if you sensors would like some compliments (and who doesn't :D ), here:

I feel humbled by sensors' grounded practicality. I'm impressed by their ability to see their path and others' with (seemingly) such ease. I admire how deeply they are in touch and in sync with their world. I envy their ability to feel and experience things so deeply and intimately without over-analyzing it. Sometimes I'm too busy thinking about how I should react instead of just reacting or I'm too busy making something about something else rather than just taking it as it is. I struggle to let go and just 'be' sometimes, which can, paradoxically, lead to a more shallow experience of life. I have the sense, for example, that I could never feel the awe and wonder my ISFP friend feels at the sight of a beautiful bird or a spectacular sunset.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes I get that a lot too. I tend to more feel like the irrational one. Sometimes when I'm around sensors (and it appears I have the opposite situation you have Auto/Virtuosi=L.A.P.) I feel like I have nothing to contribute because whenever I open my mouth all this useless nonsense comes out.

And if you sensors would like some compliments (and who doesn't :D ), here:

I feel humbled by sensors' grounded practicality. I'm impressed by their ability to see their path and others' with (seemingly) such ease. I admire how deeply they are in touch and in sync with their world. I envy their ability to feel and experience things so deeply and intimately without over-analyzing it. Sometimes I'm too busy thinking about how I should react instead of just reacting or I'm too busy making something about something else rather than just taking it as it is. I struggle to let go and just 'be' sometimes, which can, paradoxically, lead to a more shallow experience of life. I have the sense, for example, that I could never feel the awe and wonder my ISFP friend feels at the sight of a beautiful bird or a spectacular sunset.

right...not entirely present....somewhere on here i posted a pic that described my mood or something of someone one a marry go round...it's like that....this life happening around you but you're not quite paying attention...like some of it gets in but not all of it....know what i mean?

illume

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I can't cut all of the sensors slack on this one.... About the dumbest comment I ever heard came out of a sensor's mouth as she was describing her trip to the the Grand Canyon: "I didn't see what all the fuss was about... It just looked like a giant landfill to me." Stupid comment of the century right out of the mouth of an ISFP.:doh:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To me it's all plain and simple. Sensors are boring. Except for a few ESFPs who try and understand what I mean. I'm boring to them. They're boring to me. I talk about theories. They talk about football. I talk about ideas. They talk about their new blackberrys. Totally different interests and totally different understanding of ideas.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am pushed away by the attitude of siding with a group and call anyone sensor or whatsoever cause I dont like the idea of groups.

Everyone on this forum is an individual human being and should be treated as one and just because one made some bad experience with people in their life, to blame a group for it and call them sensors is the most dumb that existed on the world after WWII.

I have a completly different theory on the matter. I even think that, given for the sake of arguement, a real sensor can have the most intuitive insights ever. I even would go so far to say they are better at being intuitive about things, given the word its original meaning, than a so-called intuitive is.

Cause if you got every object in your sight, you can come to brilliant insights. But if you only compose your world out of random correlations, images and junctions you imagined in your mind, you can miss the real object namely world by a 180 degree turn

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm irrational and proud of it! :cool:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Actually your dominant Fi is quite rational; the only difference between Fi and Ti is that Fi considers people and their feelings to be an inherent part of logical discourse, but Ti sees logic and people as two different things.

Fi's logic is inherently personal; Ti's logic is not. It's a mistake to call Fi illogical, though!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
What about Inuits through the eyes of Sensing people?

041209matthenson.jpg

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
totally have to say...specially since it so rarely happens. :p but entropie makes perfect sense...it sounds way weird to categorize people like that...and yeah...it's just a different way of experiencing things...not less than...i certainly wish i was more in touch with certain things...and i wish i made more sense to more people more often. :)

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ

+1 Hahaha.

With some sensors, I get this. Kinda like,"OK, but what's the point???"

I admire a lot of things about sensing, like the whole groundedness thing, and just seeing things as they are and not feeling the need to extrapolate or project the now into the future. I often wish I could be as present.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a completly different theory on the matter. I even think that, given for the sake of arguement, a real sensor can have the most intuitive insights ever. I even would go so far to say they are better at being intuitive about things, given the word its original meaning, than a so-called intuitive is.

Cause if you got every object in your sight, you can come to brilliant insights. But if you only compose your world out of random correlations, images and junctions you imagined in your mind, you can miss the real object namely world by a 180 degree turn

i am so glad to hear you put it this way, captain. :smile: there is so much speculation about how Ns can't get their emotional nor intellectual needs met with Ss; about how boring or deadend our interactions would be. but i find my husband (istp at heart) to be the most insightful people i've ever met. and i know a lot of smart people, irl and online. regarding his Ti/Se, he indulges my daliances into the unknown intuitive realms of foggyness and hypothetical pondering pretty well, although he'd rather be fixing the car, or putting up wood for the winter. he's nice about it, but thinks being preoccupied with thoughts that might, most likely, never amount to anything, is a total waste of time and scoffs at 'eggheads' posing around trying to be smarter than everyone else, while he's over there cranking out answers and solutions to actual real-world problems and issues. furthermore, his perception is spot on regarding people and their intentions.