• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's how aware of your surroundings are you?

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
I have had many many coworkers tell me to "make some noise when you walk!" after I accidentally scared them. I have a quiet step I guess. Scare my wife all the time. I would say 25% purposeful :devil:.
YES. :ninja:

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
I can tell if an analog monitor is set to 65hz or less. I can hear if my surround sounds dynamic compression is on. I can see DLP rainbow effect easily as well as yellow ghosting on my plasma. My wife does't see or hear these things. I have a headphone.com Total Bithead USB headphone DAC/Amp and if I am using the usb power rather than battery I can hear a slight buzz when I scroll the mouse wheel. A lot of other people I know can't/don't/won't see or hear these things even after I point them out and even if they do see or hear these things after I point them out, they aren't bothered. I am bothered by them alot, lol.
I am also anal about visual artifacts and sound distortion. I also react quicker and are more sensitive than most others when loud noises occur. I swear, sometimes I react before something loud or destructive happens, but maybe it's just my disoriented perception at the time.

I use Musiland MD10 DAC/AMP and AKG K701 combo, btw. ;)

RogueAgent

MBTI Type
ISTP
I use Musiland MD10 DAC/AMP and AKG K701 combo, btw. ;)

Nice. I haven't climbed that far up the ladder yet. Started with Grado SR-60, now have the Total Bithead and Etymotic ER-6 and Audio Technica ATH-A700's. Would go further up the ladder but buying Blu ray discs and taking private pilot training is draining muh funds at the moment ;)

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
Nice. I haven't climbed that far up the ladder yet. Started with Grado SR-60, now have the Total Bithead and Etymotic ER-6 and Audio Technica ATH-A700's. Would go further up the ladder but buying Blu ray discs and taking private pilot training is draining muh funds at the moment ;)
It's all good. I also have an ATH-A500, which served me well before my AKG's. And I use Etymotic ER-4P for portable listening. :)

Sorry for the OT folks.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
From my perspective, I'm pretty caught up in my head with stuff going on, but compared to other people, I guess I notice a lot about the outside that others don't.

Particularly aspects of design and construction.

I think the above posts are good examples of how detailed knowledge enhances your perception/level of detail - that's true across all types. You notice more of what you understand.

I guess I make an effort to relate what I'm seeing (hearing, feeling etc) to something meaningful - which makes certain things pop out in clarity because I can understand them.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm very aware of my surroundings, it goes into overdrive when I go sightseeing someplace new, I become actively aware of everything trying to absorb every sensation and nuance.

wolfy

awsm
I'm very aware of my surroundings, it goes into overdrive when I go sightseeing someplace new, I become actively aware of everything trying to absorb every sensation and nuance.

I'm like that and it can annoy others when I'm so distracted by my new surroundings. I have a tendency to ignore the familiar and explore the new.

LEGERdeMAIN

I don't know whatt are going ons. I try watch stuff but moves too fast. I see you when you in front, but behind? sheeit, i don't see behind me, no eyes. take easy on me i not ninja, dayum.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm generally aware of everything that goes on around me in a subconscious manner- to the point of knowing when someone is looking at me from across the room without turning around, or knowing what the weather is outside before I open my eyes in the morning... just little sensory clues clicking together in the back of my mind...

however, I'm known for blatantly not noticing things like cracks in the sidewalk, or that the coffee table has been moved :dry: those things are less INTERESTING

I have horrified people by having much better reflexes than predicted though (thanks to the tendancy to walk into coffee tables and trip over the sidewalk)... I can think of a few people who realize there's nowhere that they're safe in my presence if they torment me... I kicked one guy in the chest who was standing behind me and he STILL wonders how it happened :cool:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

My mom get's after me for doing this because I tend to get real quiet and just take in what's there, but my mom finds it pretty rude of me to rather delight in what I see, hear, smell, and feel, than to talk and get involved with the people around me at that moment. Guilty. :blush:

KDude

It's usually amplified in new places for me too.. Like vacationing is the best just for the change of atmosphere alone..I don't mind getting lost somewhere new like that. I can't really explain what that sensation is, but it feels good. Too bad I can't afford traveling a lot.

Sometimes I get a little of the same feeling where I live.. Like the other day I was in a new spot in this city, and was waiting for a ride, and this cool dog (who I should have stolen..he looked like mad max's dog) showed up, and I just sat there for awhile with him, watching the traffic.. It was a simple, relaxing moment for me.

D

Dali

I think I live in my FiNi mode a little too much. My absent-mindedness and klutziness is literally a joke (a friend calls me Susan. After the clumsy Desperate Housewives character:doh:). I remember Jeffster once mentioning his surprise at a relative of his constantly noticing, only after the fact (lol), that there was no tissue in the bathroom. Apparently, he (Jeffster) would automatically scan the bathroom the moment he got in. I'm pretty much the same as his relative.

My Se is atrocious UNLESS I remember to switch it on. Then, it gets competent. For instance, I once went hiking in the savanna with two ENFPs and an ISTJ. We spotted five different troops of baboons, three solitary dikdiks, a family of warthogs, a pair of bushbucks and a giraffe. Every single one of those times, it was I that spotted the wildlife first and pointed them out to the others.

Last edited:

Sunny Ghost

Does anyone else have such high awareness of their surroundings, that they become extremely anxious or paranoid? What I mean by this, is that... especially when in a classroom setting, my awareness of every movement makes it hard for me to focus. And not only that, but I feel like I make others nervous. As though other people are able to pick up on the fact that I'm constantly noticing them or their movements and actions, to the point they feel uncomfortable. And that's when I start becoming extremely paranoid and move towards the verge of panic attack.

In the household setting, I'm typically incredibly in tune with my roommates movements. I know, who's home... what room they are in... awake, asleep. I keep mental tabs. I don't do it on purpose... but it's almost like it's a built in survival technique that I just can't help. Very rarely does someone arrive at the house without my knowing.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I always check the bathroom for potty paper before I use the facilities!!!

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So many good posts to this thread.

I'm pretty aware but a lot of times it's more an instinctual thing. I don't realize I was aware of my surroundings until I have to act on it or someone asks a question. Sort of like my mind takes pictures and I get brought back to that image in my head. Like a catalog of freeze frame moments I can immediately flip back through. At school people will ask me days later what page a certain paragraph was on and I'll remember it. Or someone will leave the classroom and the teacher will wonder where he went and I'll know he went to the bathroom, etc. But I don't remember consciously paying attention to that person's whereabouts.

Once my friend was leaving my house. She was in the car - with the drivers door open - still talking to me while she tried to start the car. It wouldn't start. She was really perplexed until I told her to take it out of first gear. :devil:

Other times I'll be oblivious to people. Meeting them two or three times sometimes and not remembering them...but alcohol may be a factor in this...:blush:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I find that most people are relatively oblivious. Including myself a lot of the time. And as most people are apparently S's (though SPs less so, I know), I must conclude that hyper-observation is more of a cultivated than innately SP skill.

tastes_like_purple

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
I know everything thats going on around me. I was at my graduation night and was the first one to notice a classmate of mine was having a pretty violent asmtha attack and i quickly alerted the staff.
I'm also pretty in tune with peoples feelings and can usually sense when, to put it bluntly, shits gonna go down.