• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] My take on functions from an SP perception

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:edit Work in progress. Fine tuning.

I am working on examples of what seems like each function to me and how I experience them. Here are the definitions I came up with.

E - is being able to control externally
I - is being able to experience internally
On this note those that take control are E and is what they are good at. I dont think that it gives them energy, it is more because it is what they are good at the are able to go out and get the energy, the feedback they are looking for. E types are all external drivers, I types are internal experiencers

S - dynamics
N - relations

T- thought
F - feelings

Ti - internal thought. Its analyzing what I percieve to why I think it happened. Basically everything here is from Ti analyzing what I percieved. It is purely objective. It feels like putting together a puzzle in your head. You have all these pieces and need to fit them together. Some pieces are still upside down and need to be seen so you can continue on the puzzle. Like a puzzle you can only piece together the pieces you can see.

Te - external thinking. If I do or say xyz I can get them to do abc. If I say I am tired I will be left alone. If I do this he will do that and then I can do this. A non verbal form would be a chess game where your moves are done to try to get the other person to perform certain moves.

Se - external senses. It is controling your surrounding. In a car its like a fluid motion where you respond in real time smoothly to the other cars on the road. You can weave in and out of traffic with no plan in mind, just changing and responding every second. On a jetski this is freestyle mode. I control its everymove. I respond to everywave, not focusing on the interaction, but focusing on how I need to respond to make it do what I want to do. I watch everything around me and respond as I twist and turn and jump.

Si - internal sensing. This is internally sensing the movement of things. I have used both Se and Si on a jet ski. with Si I seemed to get lost in movement of the jetski interacting with the waves. You need a plan, because my lack of plan made me go head on towards a boat. You open your eyes, get a plan and theoretically close them to focus internally hence less use of external perception. I lost focus of my external environment and became one with the jetski and the waves. I focus on how the jetski interacts with each and every wave. Its like tunnel vision compared to Se. In this mode I need everyone else to pay attention and I need a plan of action to follow so I can zone out of my external surrounding and focus on my internal senses. I focus on how my legs act like shock absorbers, how the jetski bounces around under me. I lose the big picture, it dissappears until I snap out of this mode. I cant focus on Se and Si at the same time.

Ne - this seems to be relating things together. I saw a statue and it caused me to think stick bug. Someone said something that made me thing of a song. This is used to control ideas.

Ni - internal abstract thought. The concept of what I wrote is Ni. Its personal ideas, concepts, and theories. Its taking what I read, tearing it apart, comparing it to what I see and keeping what fits with what I see.

Fe - is external feelings. you know what to do to steer, control feelings. If I say this they will feel this way. The better it knows the person the more control it has since feelings are very personal. They can push you by affecting your feelings toward things.

Fi - is internal feelings. You think to yourself how would I feel. They put themselves in that situation and see what feelings come up.

edit: Can other types try to give similiar examples of use of functions. that relate to what I have. I am looking for real life experiences where you were consumed in one of the functions.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Taking this one step further we can also deduce what each dominant function is good at and how we like to help people. People always say the want to be heard not helped. When do you like to be heard and what help do you need?

Si - good at explaining to others how to handle things that require paying attention to your internal sensing. Controlling feelings in yourself is one good example. How to pay attention to your internal senses.

Se - is good at explaining how to control external senses in others.

Ti - is good at helping people control there thought. how to see all the different angles. I like to help by showing different sides in a situation that others may not see.

Te - is good at helping others get done what they need done by explaining how to logically convincing others to get things done.

Ne - is good at relating things together. They can help with ideas that relate to the problem that you havnt tried.

Ni - is good at coming up with possibilities. They can help with possible ways to do things.

Fi - is good with internal feelings - they can help you recognize and understand your feelings. Probably along the lines similiar to Ti in helping see different sides to feelings stuff, not sure about this.

Fe - is good at controlling the feelings of others. They can help you cause certain feelings in others to get them to do things.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
OK, here goes, from an isfp perspective.

Ti - OK, I like puzzles. I like to do sudoko puzzles. I like to fit things together and to analyze: where do they go?

Te - external thinking. I guess this would be the board games that I like to play. How do I best strategize and win the game or create a situation where no one wins?

I have trouble differentiating the T functions because T is not strong for me.

Se - external senses. For me, this means color, form, shape. I love to take care of my garden, to smell the aromas, to see how the colors go together. I love to walk in the woods and look for the birds and animals. Se for me is pure joy.

Si - internal sensing. All of that Se joy becomes a memory for me. I remember what the trumpet flowers in the back yard of my childhood house looked like. I smell something baking and recall a time or place that was special in the past when I sensed that same aroma.

Ne - connecting stuff. There is a song in my head for every occasion. Say something and I'll come up with a song.

Ni - internal abstract thought. I don't really understand Ni.

Fe - is external feelings. I can sense what other people are feeling. Sometimes, people don't have to be close to me physically. I could sense once that someone was hurt. I called her and she didn't know who I was. A few weeks later, she called me, and I found out that, on the day that I sensed that something bad had happened to her, she had been hit by a car while waiting at a bus shelter. She had suffered head injury so she had short term memory loss for a little while.

Fi - is internal feelings. I know what's in my heart. I know what I value. For example, I am horrified by violence and war and will act on these feelings. Once I was watching the news and I saw soldiers attacking straw dummies with bayonets. My overly active imagination turned those dummies into real humans. I had to turn off the television because I felt sick. I don't know if that is Fi, or Ni or Ne, however.

phoenity

Si - internal sensing. This is internally sensing the movement of things. I have used both Se and Si on a jet ski. with Si I seemed to get lost in movement of the jetski interacting with the waves. You need a plan, because my lack of plan made me go head on towards a boat. You open your eyes, get a plan and theoretically close them to focus internally hence less use of external perception. I lost focus of my external environment and became one with the jetski and the waves. I focus on how the jetski interacts with each and every wave. Its like tunnel vision compared to Se. In this mode I need everyone else to pay attention and I need a plan of action to follow so I can zone out of my external surrounding and focus on my internal senses. I focus on how my legs act like shock absorbers, how the jetski bounces around under me. I lose the big picture, it dissappears until I snap out of this mode. I cant focus on Se and Si at the same time.

I do this in many different environments as well. I get so deeply focused on perceiving every sensation from a limited environment, that I get completely lost and ignore all the other surroundings. I become one with my immediate environment. Immediate can be vast, or it can be as small as a part of my own body.

I do not think this is Si though. My goal in these situations is not to internalize the experience in order to remember it, compare to past or future experiences, but rather to experience the sensations themselves as deeply as I can in this moment. I'm not concerned with remembering these sensations.

I actually do not understand Si beyond the memories that get stored on their own - sights, sounds, smells, etc, but I tend not to remember things in vivid detail like I think Si-doms are capable of doing. Perhaps an SJ could give their understanding of Si so we could compare.

Extraverted Sensing - Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data.You are one with the experience. There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once. You may be drawn to experience more and more, seeking any variation that will intensely excite the senses. Writing that is richly descriptive can also evoke extraverted Sensing as can other mental stimulation. The process is momentary and tied to the events of the iminediate situation. It is used in the here and now and helps us know what is really there in the physical world and to adapt to it. Extraverted Sensing occurs when we scan for information that is relevant to our interests, then we mentally register data and facts such as baseball statistics, the locations of all the restaurants in town, or the names of all the actors in the popular television shows. There can be an active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Associated behaviors include eating a whole box of chocolates for the variety of tastes; playing an instrument for hours with pure enjoyment, not for practice; voracious reading or continual asking of questions to get specifics.
Introverted Sensing - Recalling past experiences, remembering detailed data and what it is linked to. Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current stimulation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences and one registers that there is a similarity or a difference - for example, noticing that some food doesn't taste the same and is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when you see someone who reminds you of someone else. Sometimes the feeling-tone associated with the recalled image comes into your awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, your body responds as if reliving the experience. This could be seen as a source of feelings of nostalgia or longing for the way things were. In one instance, a young couple living in Europe spent their weekends trying out restaurants looking for food that tasted like American food.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do this in many different environments as well. I get so deeply focused on perceiving every sensation from a limited environment, that I get completely lost and ignore all the other surroundings. I become one with my immediate environment. Immediate can be vast, or it can be as small as a part of my own body.

I do not think this is Si though. My goal in these situations is not to internalize the experience in order to remember it, compare to past or future experiences, but rather to experience the sensations themselves as deeply as I can in this moment. I'm not concerned with remembering these sensations.

I actually do not understand Si beyond the memories that get stored on their own - sights, sounds, smells, etc, but I tend not to remember things in vivid detail like I think Si-doms are capable of doing. Perhaps an SJ could give their understanding of Si so we could compare.

ok, I will have to dig in deeper. It seems logically like that it would be is internalizing sensory. I have experienced both and when I hit this mode I lose focus of everything around me. I rarely hit this mode because it causes tunnel and I lose focus of everything around me. It just feels so different than my normal way of experiencing things while doing an action where I am aware of everything around me.

phoenity

ok, I will have to dig in deeper. It seems logically like that it would be is internalizing sensory. I have experienced both and when I hit this mode I lose focus of everything around me. I rarely hit this mode because it causes tunnel and I lose focus of everything around me. It just feels so different than my normal way of experiencing things while doing an action where I am aware of everything around me.

What I was trying to say was that I can get tunnel vision with Se.

Becoming one with the experience of something, we can ignore other aspects of our environment because they don't affect the immediate experience, so we can limit the view of Se so that we can focus more intensely. For example, you becoming one with the jetski, perceiving sensations of only the interaction of your body with the machine and the machine with the water.

When you have to "snap out" of it, you're having to direct focus away from the experience with the machine to inspect the overall environment.

But overall I think it's still purely Se. It's just a matter of how broad or how narrow you're focusing Se.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I was trying to say was that I can get tunnel vision with Se.

Becoming one with the experience of something, we can ignore other aspects of our environment because they don't affect the immediate experience, so we can limit the view of Se so that we can focus more intensely. For example, you becoming one with the jetski, perceiving sensations of only the interaction of your body with the machine and the machine with the water.

When you have to "snap out" of it, you're having to direct focus away from the experience with the machine to inspect the overall environment.

But overall I think it's still purely Se. It's just a matter of how broad or how narrow you're focusing Se.

To me that tunnel vision felt alot like Ti when I get in my head and try to figure things out. I tune everything out. I alterante between this Ti tuned everything out and this Se that notices everything that goes on around me. To me it feels like a seperation between internal and external.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK, here goes, from an isfp perspective.

Ti - OK, I like puzzles. I like to do sudoko puzzles. I like to fit things together and to analyze: where do they go?

Te - external thinking. I guess this would be the board games that I like to play. How do I best strategize and win the game or create a situation where no one wins?

I have trouble differentiating the T functions because T is not strong for me.

Se - external senses. For me, this means color, form, shape. I love to take care of my garden, to smell the aromas, to see how the colors go together. I love to walk in the woods and look for the birds and animals. Se for me is pure joy.

Si - internal sensing. All of that Se joy becomes a memory for me. I remember what the trumpet flowers in the back yard of my childhood house looked like. I smell something baking and recall a time or place that was special in the past when I sensed that same aroma.

Ne - connecting stuff. There is a song in my head for every occasion. Say something and I'll come up with a song.

Ni - internal abstract thought. I don't really understand Ni.

Fe - is external feelings. I can sense what other people are feeling. Sometimes, people don't have to be close to me physically. I could sense once that someone was hurt. I called her and she didn't know who I was. A few weeks later, she called me, and I found out that, on the day that I sensed that something bad had happened to her, she had been hit by a car while waiting at a bus shelter. She had suffered head injury so she had short term memory loss for a little while.

Fi - is internal feelings. I know what's in my heart. I know what I value. For example, I am horrified by violence and war and will act on these feelings. Once I was watching the news and I saw soldiers attacking straw dummies with bayonets. My overly active imagination turned those dummies into real humans. I had to turn off the television because I felt sick. I don't know if that is Fi, or Ni or Ne, however.

Its intresting to see how Se differs in an ISFP. You can tell from your words that it leads into Fi. Your Fe sounds like intuition is mixed in with it. A combination of intuition and caring about others.