• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs and Rambling

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Is it me or do ISTPs not talk all that often, and when they do, it's rambling?
I know only two ISTPs, and they both do this. My dad, for example, will be perfectly content just sitting there silent. If I ask him something about math or psychology (two things he's always reading about) then he will talk about it. Forever. And ever. Even if he can clearly see that I'm or others around me are getting bored/annoyed. Thus, I refrain from asking him too many questions.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Could this apply to the ESTP too?

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
I know only two ISTPs, and they both do this. My dad, for example, will be perfectly content just sitting there silent. If I ask him something about math or psychology (two things he's always reading about) then he will talk about it. Forever. And ever. Even if he can clearly see that I'm or others around me are getting bored/annoyed. Thus, I refrain from asking him too many questions.

I don't know but I find it interesting that you know an ISTP interested in those subjects.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

I think the same thing applies to the INTPs also.
The INTPs are even more boring.

I left the INTPc for that reason.
Boring, boring. boring.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know but I find it interesting that you know an ISTP interested in those subjects.

The guy I hang out with the most is an ISTP. We get along well because we both like philosophy, psychology, and a variety of other Nerd Things and we both share a similar desire to use this knowledge to practical ends.

And yes, he does indeed ramble, but so do I. Another point on which we are similar.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have seen IxTP both do this naturally. Once the Ti process gets going, especially if there is a lack of Fe (where they are tuned into the response of the people around them), they can ramble on and on about something they've excited about.

But like Mycroft alludes to, it is certainly not confined to IxTP. All types can 'ramble' to some degree. ISFJs tend to ramble about the details of their day. ENxPs tend to ramble about the possibilities they see. And so on.

ygolo

My termites win

I ramble as much as any of my ISTP friends. It is pretty rare to find someone who is (or at least seems) interested in what I am interested in. It's a chance to let the little professor inside me do his thing.

Are you sure it is clear to him that everyone around him is bored/annoyed?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Just get my dad (ISTP, I think) started on politics . . . oy!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my dad (INFP) when there is someone who is actually going to listen to what he has to say...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have seen IxTP both do this naturally. Once the Ti process gets going, especially if there is a lack of Fe (where they are tuned into the response of the people around them), they can ramble on and on about something they've excited about.
I find that absolutely adorable.

I have seen IxTP both do this naturally. Once the Ti But like Mycroft alludes to, it is certainly not confined to IxTP. All types can 'ramble' to some degree. ISFJs tend to ramble about the details of their day. ENxPs tend to ramble about the possibilities they see. And so on.
Maybe it's easier to start with 'what types ramble the least?' I can't think of one presently. It's all context based - where do you ramble?

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ

Yes, it's a question of interest in your topic of conversation and generally applies more to T's who may be less willing in making small talk (they care less about social bonding). It's a stereotypical male thing too.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I ramble constantly. Mostly it's "train-of-thought" rambling about something on my mind, though, not rambling about an academic subject. And I'm more talking to myself to figure things out, rather than explaining to an audience. Usually I don't talk about the things I know a lot about because not many people know/care about them.

Also (@ Schizm) I am very interested in psychology (is anyone here not?), for the record. Math is not an area of interest for me though.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My ISTP buddy does it too. But I like that he does. Takes the pressure of me to do the talking for a change.

Sometimes other people say he's rambling, but I can follow him quite clearly and he's actually talking quite a lot of sense. I think a lot of people just have very short attention spans, and he's a bit less aware of that than I am (and so forgets to change subject/angle/point once every 2 minutes or so), or maybe he just forgets to look out for the cues and prompts, and to vary the pitch and intonation of his voice, use hand gestures and inject jokes etc, which is what others have said are the differences between why his rambles are usually boring and mine are funny and entertaining.

Very hard to put that across without seeming egotistical... but what I mean is that whilst I'm very definitely telling everyone what I'm thinking, and communicating to them being my main object (and so I'm always on the lookout for signs as to whether people are engaged and ready to change tack at a glance) - he, once he gets started, is more like thinking aloud, almost talking to himself, as if he forgets the other people are there once he starts to pick up speed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very hard to put that across without seeming egotistical... but what I mean is that whilst I'm very definitely telling everyone what I'm thinking, and communicating to them being my main object (and so I'm always on the lookout for signs as to whether people are engaged and ready to change tack at a glance) - he, once he gets started, is more like thinking aloud, almost talking to himself, as if he forgets the other people are there once he starts to pick up speed.

That is a good way to say it. Unless someone either naturally scans the crowd for signs of involvement or learns how to do so with practice, what happens is that the person is really "thinking out loud" and allowing others to overhear that process as it unfolds. They are caught in the grips of the logic/idea and articulating it, rather than seeking to communicate the idea per se to a specific audience.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
That is a good way to say it. Unless someone either naturally scans the crowd for signs of involvement or learns how to do so with practice, what happens is that the person is really "thinking out loud" and allowing others to overhear that process as it unfolds. They are caught in the grips of the logic/idea and articulating it, rather than seeking to communicate the idea per se to a specific audience.

Yes... it becomes a lecture rather than a seminar... a monolgue rather than a conversation. Along with the monotone and general lack of animation/passion, it's no wonder people get bored.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Also (@ Schizm) I am very interested in psychology (is anyone here not?), for the record. Math is not an area of interest for me though.
When my dad was in college, the psychology department tried to recruit him. He liked it and thought about it, but didn't want to take the pay cut since he was already working full time making good money.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
do rants about things count as rambling??? :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I have observed myself doing this, but no one has ever brought it to my attention. Since I work with Attorneys, I have been accused of putting too much information into my briefs. These are some of the challenges that ISTPs face when writing, which probably spill over to conversations on occasion:
Tend to ramble and may have many more facts than needed but include them anyway.

Wait until the last minute to begin then may have to postpone deadlines.

Become so mired in facts, they may ignore the big picture.

Focus on details so much that they are likely to ignore the reader.

Have to be careful, especially in e-mail, where irony is often seen by the reader as sarcasm.