• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to tell the difference between ISFP and INFP?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How would you tell the difference between these two?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I've heard the flame test is quite accurate. In terms of non-destructive testing, look at whether they find things like absolute position and colour more important, or patterns and the relationships between things.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not sure I'd be able to tell. Do you have any examples?

Not really, no. Just trying to get the thread rolling. ;)

The problem is that I'd have to post non-famous examples of the types, since I suspect the famous ones have been heavily influenced by stylists etc. The only non-famous ISFP I know outside of this forum is my sister, who probably wouldn't appreciate me posting a pic of her.

Possibly a better way to tell is that INFPs often think of themselves (or have in the past) as philosophically-inclined. ISFPs probably don't.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I seriously don't think I've ever seen an unattractive INFP chick. What's up with that? Where are they hiding?

phoenity

How would you tell the difference between these two?

Are you speaking in a physical sense, only judging by their face? I'm not sure I could do that.

I would go about it the same way you determine the N/S divide for any type, by observing where their attention is.

Both types are ruled by Fi, being their leading judging function. But how do they pick up that information in which to judge?

Do they pick it up from the outside world, things they see with their eyes, very concrete, simple things, and focus directly on those things?

Or does it come from inside, a gut feeling, broad, big picture ideas that are related to what they see with their eyes, but not no where as concrete as the thing that provided the spark for the idea.

I think that's what Jeff means when he says INFP are philosophically-inclined, because they are primarily idea people. That's not to say ISFPs can't or don't philosophize, but it's merely secondary to their primary nature.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The INFP will probably come across as either more esoteric or analytical while the ISFP will come across as either being more "down to earth" or visably artsy.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you speaking in a physical sense, only judging by their face?

Not really, but yeah I have trouble with the below....

I would go about it the same way you determine the N/S divide for any type, by observing where their attention is.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The INFP will probably come across as either more esoteric or analytical while the ISFP will come across as either being more "down to earth" or visably artsy.

It was actually watching these that made me wonder....

[youtube=5zTxUxFjLB0]YouTube - Bob Marley - Get up, stand up (Live)[/youtube]

[youtube=xu2JStDpcmY]YouTube - Bob Marley Never Seen Before Interview released[/youtube]

[youtube=OsfYAJ3dQyY]YouTube - Bob Marley - New Zealand Interview 1979[/youtube]

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
It's hard to tell from the interview. He might not be either. If nothing else, it sounds like he's smoked too much. Love his music though.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Yeah...Bob Marley is neither; he's ENTP. Some say ENFP, but I think ENTP.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Doesn't seem ENFP. Holding a dreadlock and passionately saying, "this is my identity" rules out almost all Fi types. Or at least I know NFPs wouldn't be likely to do it.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
hehe. The only thing I really noticed was he speaks and has emotions like someone who smokes lots of weed. What he started as could have been anything.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Actually, I remembered one difference between the types, or at least people I know of them. ISFPs tend to go more hyper when they get in cars to drive and look energised like they just became The Stig. INFPs by comparison look a lot more impartial to the experience.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
hehe. The only thing I really noticed was he speaks and has emotions like someone who smokes lots of weed. What he started as could have been anything.

Wooah, yeeeeahh maannn, that's riight!

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Smoking lots of weed can make one kind of F-ish. A really high ENTP who is always in a good mood = ENFP.

...You would know. :)

And I agree. I know plenty of ENTPs just like him -- smoke ganja, philosophize on freedom, peace for all, and random esoteric religions, listen to music, rinse, repeat. And they all hail Bob as their idol.

For some reason this attitude is oddly attractive to me. I know...I'm hopeless.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Reposted from previous thread because I really liked what I wrote on it at the time:

Less fantasy-oriented, ISFPs are generally more "earthy"; their interests are more likely to involve physically tangible experiences. They often have a natural sense of visual/spacial relations and aesthetics (their homes are frequently uniquely decorated or arranged to make an obvious visual impact), and their awareness of what's current, popular, "in" and so on is often something they pride themselves on.

They give this disarming sense of calm contentedness, almost as if they're too agreeable (and indeed, young ISFP males will sometimes overcompensate for their natural introversion and try to be social supermen), but upon getting to know them you'll find that they usually are some of the nicest people out there. Watching them "perform", in whatever way they may do it, is inspirational. As someone said, ISFPs are known for giving people the fewest reasons to dislike them.

ISFPs are more likely to "cut and run" on an impulse if their freedom or individuality feels stifled by current situations. (I have one ISFP friend who, much to his parents' chagrin, decided after high school to go wander around New Zealand with no particular idea of what to do or where to stay, instead of starting college or a job.)

ISFPs, like any SP type, learn best with a hands-on experiential approach where their natural ability to use tools to manipulate the physical environment will serve them best. They're typically very set in their ethical ways, but are impatient with a lot of abstraction and don't often feel that morality requires a tremendous amount of in-depth analysis--it just comes naturally. Do what you feel seems right at the time, dude!

Both types give really inspired performances when they're into something, but INFPs are typically identifiable by their comparative lack of attention to clothing, fashion and overall physical appearance.

INFPs are basically ethical perfectionists to the point of absurdity, the ultimate idealists. (Like the INTP's obsession with logical consistency, except applied to ethical consistency instead.) You can identify them by their extraordinary attention to moral perfection. If you get to know them, you'll find that they usually exhibit a never-quite-good-enough attitude about virtually everything important to them.

One of the biggest differences is that INFPs hold grudges, and when they dislike someone they're very good at imagining more reasons to dislike that person or picking up hostility from that person when none is really intended (Ne services Fi's ends.) Neither type is openly confrontational, but when ISFPs are offended, they're more likely to just remove themselves from the situation, quit worrying about it and move on the next thing. INFPs dwell.

On the plus side, auxiliary Pe makes them appear outwardly flexible, calm, open, accomodating and generally very open to and respectful of the ideas and feelings of others. INFPs can provide terrific moral guidance, and you can always trust them to remain loyal to their friends and their ideals.

INFPs in a social environment are typically quieter than ISFPs, and much more interested in personal one-on-one conversation than in whatever activities (ISFPs are much more activity-oriented) are going on at the party--video games, sports, drinking games, what have you...ISFPs are more likely to be *doing* something. INFPs are far more likely to suffer from "NP never gets anything done" syndrome, spending too much time dreaming up pie-in-the-sky visions for the future and not enough actually making them happen.

INFPs are more likely to reach for broad, idealistic moral ideals. They're more likely to daydream than ISFPs (who are busy doing real things) and often hold high ideals about change or service toward society in general and how progress might be made. Though typically fairly quiet, if one of these areas of interest comes up they will leap into a conversation and provide often unexpected keen insights and substantial conversation. It's pretty cool sometimes. A stereotypical INFP college major might be philosophy.

INFPs remain outwardly very very chill until their ideals are violated, at which point they will become rigid and inflexible. You're seeing auxiliary Ne most of the time when they're interacting with you, but when some external threat causes Fi to take over, there will be no convincing him otherwise--think INTP who's sure he's logically correct about something. It can be a little silly at times, but a balanced INFP will provide terrific, very personal conversation and companionship.