• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to tell the difference between ISFP and INFP?

B

brainheart

Then I am INFP then!

Damn. I really don't want to be an uncool nerd...

PS. The fact that you care kind of makes me think ISFP. For me, It's more like, "Damn! I'm a cool nerd!"

Last edited:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Regarding the "cool-looking" thing, I think ISFPs pay more attention to outward details -- to what looks good and is fashionable. So they're likely to give more thought to what they wear and what it says about them. INFPs are more likely from what I've seen to dress as nondescriptly as possible within the parameters of whichever subculture they most closely identify with. I think INTPs do this too.

2. ISFPs don't have a lot of sales resistance. They're suckers for product-placements.

3. INFPs usually consider themselves somewhat "philosophical". ISFPs don't. This is probably the quickest and most effective way to tell them apart.

The first two criteria might make me an ISFP. I'm a sucker for infomercials. I don't actually buy anything off of them because I am too indecisive, but I'm like, "yeah, that's an awesome idea!". Then later I laugh, because deep down I know it's stupid. I also find myself shopping in stores that play music I like. They totally know who they are marketing to, and I totally fall for it.

Now the last one is a good point, and that safely puts me in the INFP zone.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an INFP who is very into aesthetics, creating tangible art (if I can focus long enough to do it), and maintaining autonomy. INFPs can be as much visual artists as ISFPs.

However, I am at core, very idealistic, obsessed with all things ethical, and use a lot of metaphor and symbolism to communicate. The physical realm can feel surreal, while my imagination feels real, and I have difficulty being in the moment.

An INFP approach to art is likely going to be more conceptually thought out and an ISFP may take a more in the moment approach. INFPs will emphasize symbolism, and an ISFP may emphasize pure aesthetic value. An ISFP fashion designer will often say they are going to allow the fabric to "choose what it wants to become". It's sort of creating with the impulse of the moment. If it's beautiful and stirs feeling, then mission accomplished. Think of Jackson Pollack and his approach to painting.

An INFP will likely have some complex concept (such as an entire story built around the emotion they want to evoke through the design) before they being physically making anything. It seems that ISFPs are more prolific artists in this sense, because they dive into the hands on part faster, whereas INFPs may over-think it, lose interest, and never realize their idea.

i relate a lot, wow...especially the 'in the moment' bit; Ni dominance and Se at the end and all, i've always been labeled as something of a space case, even though i somehow manage to stay present - i get a good laugh out of surprising people by responding to something they passingly said in a discussion that no one else heard; they never see it coming :)

golly! i almost made the same post; i was reading through the thread and preparing to represent the aesthetically conscious INFPs when i saw your post here - thanks for articulating this stuff so nicely, as always, OrangeAppled.

...sometimes i think my interest in symbolism is more from the land of INFJ than INFP (because my cognitive functions are so INFJ)...hm..i think many INFPs are sort of unconsciously attracted to symbols they personally identify themselves with, while INFJs more consciously dissect meanings and choose a variety of different symbols to suit what they're going for at a given time..

at any rate, creating art is a great way for me as an INFx to really connect with my Si and Se...so much so that when i first read about MBTI and Jungian types i thought i might be an ISFP because of all the associations of the type with art and visual aesthetics...and, as folks can see from my posts, i'm not the world's most eloquent writer, as per INFP stereotype. ah, the confusion...

but anyway, my point was that a person's hobbies, skills, or interests can vary and don't always align perfectly with their typological orientation. speech patterns, mannerisms, and social behavior seem to be a more reliable set of variables to work with when determining type.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not an ISFP but I like making cool-looking art with no meaning behind it. It's funny because then the SPs get together and look at what I've made and try and create a meaning or story with it, all the while I have my troll-face on because it means nothing in particular.

thangs sure is backwerdz sumtimez

on a related note, my favorite yearbook quote from 11th grade by one of my best INFP friends: (on his favorite subject) "I like art because it makes people think I'm deeper than I really am".

he's a great painter btw, and his stuff is very weird and abstract.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:huh:
...I've done it.

lol I know. I know a few IxFP's who have done that or something similiar to that. I also still think Bob Marley is IxFP. Just don't know which.

Some more pointers on how to tell them apart (drawn mostly from myself and my ISFP sister):

1. Regarding the "cool-looking" thing, I think ISFPs pay more attention to outward details -- to what looks good and is fashionable. So they're likely to give more thought to what they wear and what it says about them. INFPs are more likely from what I've seen to dress as nondescriptly as possible within the parameters of whichever subculture they most closely identify with. I think INTPs do this too.

2. ISFPs don't have a lot of sales resistance. They're suckers for product-placements.

3. INFPs usually consider themselves somewhat "philosophical". ISFPs don't. This is probably the quickest and most effective way to tell them apart.

1. Hmm, that sounds about right.

2. lol I can see that.

3. What do you mean by philosophical? What does this look like?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
3. What do you mean by philosophical? What does this look like?

I mean if they self-identify as "philosophical" then they are almost certainly INFP rather than ISFP. I guess what it looks like though is that INFPs will be interested in very abstract discussions, whereas ISFPs will probably change the topic in a fairly obvious way to one which is more concrete. It's not that they can't think abstractly -- they would just rather not.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFP: I'd like to discover the cure for cancer.

ISFP: If I did, I'd ask for a reward. I already decided what. I'd want my own interstate highway built, where I get to be the first one to drive the whole thing, with no other drivers on the road. They'd have all the exits blocked off, so nobody could get on but me, but I'd call ahead if I needed an exit opened for me to stop at a gas station or get food or whatever. It would be so awesome!

INFP: Yeah, but think about how many trees would have to be cut down to build another interstate.

ISFP: You don't get it. I could drive the whole thing by myself! It would be MY highway!

INFP: ......

ISFP: Okay, fine! You could come too!

INFP: .......

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

ISFP: If I did, I'd ask for a reward. I already decided what. I'd want my own interstate highway built, where I get to be the first one to drive the whole thing, with no other drivers on the road. They'd have all the exits blocked off, so nobody could get on but me, but I'd call ahead if I needed an exit opened for me to stop at a gas station or get food or whatever. It would be so awesome!

INFP: Yeah, but think about how many trees would have to be cut down to build another interstate.

ISFP: You don't get it. I could drive the whole thing by myself! It would be MY highway!

lol, yeah thats me. forget the tree's and the cancer, lets have some fun!!
:party:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol, yeah thats me. forget the tree's and the cancer, lets have some fun!!
:party:

sounds fun and all *riding down your own highway = sweetness :D :rock:* but :boohoo: :( about the trees/cancer.

Guess i just aided in the INFP ISFP difference right there huh? XD.

:hug: AyoitsStepho lol.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3

Would any of the ISFPs be willing to make any more of these made up conversation thingies? It really helps illustrate the differences between us, at least for me. :) :hug: This one ^^^ was really helpful so far.

I know there was a thread somewhere about how the types look at art (like S/N differences), but I guess I'm still a little confused with the subtle things that really give the types away. What is something that would make you think ISFP right away, for instance, in conversation?

I've read that ISFPs are usually much in tune with their bodies. So do all of the ISFPs here enjoy things like climbing, hiking, dancing? Do you feel naturally comfortable/ at ease with these activities?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

not this eye en eff pee

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I have loads of sales resistance and am not a sucker for product placement. But if a company would like to sponsor me as I walk mile after mile, I'd gladly wear advertisements on my clothing. It helps if they show me the money first.
:devil:

ISFPs don't have a lot of sales resistance. They're suckers for product-placements.

NeverAmI

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

OMG this is horrible... But..... SO FUNNY!

sleepy

ISFPs can become rich and famous. INFPs only famous, and only after their death.

NeverAmI

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am no expert here, and anyone please feel free to chime in and elaborate/correct where needed.

Cognitively, ISFP's and INFP's share Fi and Te, but differ in their 2 middle attributes.

INFP = Fi Ne Si Te
ISFP = Fi Se Ni Te

Ne - Interested with other perspectives, applying vast insight to see all sides of an object, to understand the object completely.

Se - Interested in the colors, lines, texture, taste, smell of an object. Observing the setting of the object.

Si - Recalling past objects that might relate, facts about similar objects. Memories that link to the object.

Ni - Wondering why the object is there, what is its purpose? Does this object have any potential impact on the future?

Someone asked for a practical example of difference between the two.

So in this scenario a boy is helping his father build a playset. The boy is in charge of providing the tools needed. This contrasts the boy being ISFP vs INFP.

In many cases the ISFP boy has a good idea of where everything is at due to Se but he may become "mesmerized" just studying the objects, not necessarily thinking about them, just looking at the hammer, picking it up and feeling the weight, noticing how cold the metal is, etc. The Ni may cause the ISFP boy wonder why we have playsets, what is the purpose? If I didn't have a playset, would it change me?

The INFP boy might not pay as much attention to how things are laid out and instead get lost in a daydream about who knows what? Some may think about the wood used to create the playset, where did it come from, what trees died? Where did the metal from the screws come from? What would the Native Americans think if they stumbled upon a playset like this before we took their land? Si may compare this playset to his friend's playset, the differences. Then Si may pull the INFP into a recall of fond memories playing at his friend's house.

In both cases, the boy may try to organize the items to make the process more efficient (Te). If the father gets angry at the boy, the boy will be intensely hurt, but most likely will not show it. (Fi)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
That doesn't sound like a practical example. It's just raw speculation.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm INFP, and my brother-in-law is ISFP, and I have to say I think simulatedworld pretty much hit it right on on page 2. Very good explanation.