• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs: Do you dance well?

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
hey guys, i am a terrible dancer too.
i know several great ESTP dancers.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Wow, usually these kinds of questions get a mixed bag of answers, but it looks like we have a near-perfect consensus here. Maybe they should add it to the personalitypage.com ISTP Type Description page? "They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. But just as equally repelled by dancing." :static:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
"They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. But just as equally repelled by dancing." :static:

well i actually love to dance in a private party setting, like at my home or a friend's home, but it is unconventional dancing if you can even call it that.
it is real wild and raw, i guess.
i think it is the conventions and structure of dance that i don't like, learning technique and specific movements. if i am going to dance (and i am going to) it is going to be in my own way.
yeah, to be honest, when it is music i love and i am in good spirits, i get really caught up in dancing and go to town on that shit! ;)

also, i do like motorcycles. ;)

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Wow, so interesting!!! So it looks like there may be a chance I can see an ISTP really letting it loose someday. I like the idea of that! It's verry sexy, in a 'loosen your tie and unbutton that collar' sort of way, particularly since you guys always seem under (your own) control.

Unique

I love to dance and frankly I'm amazed at some of the responses in this thread, we don't really have many expressions out of our mouths so dancing is perfect for expressing ourselves in a physical sense

I think its more likely not an ISTP thing rather a general "if you ask this question on the internet (even more so a typology forum) you will get a certain response" thing

But yeah dancing is a very specific thing, I wouldn't draw conclusions on ISTPs with this thread, you might find that a lot of INFPs online say that they aren't really into dancing but I know some in person that love it to bits

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
These girls certainly seem to think I'm amazing:

dancin2sm.jpg

dancinsm.jpg

I love dancing, and am extremely good at it. I'm always dancing, too, whenever I get the chance.

In those pictures I was drunk but once I started getting into the flow of it I couldn't stop. They keep telling me I'm amazing every time they watch the video. Once it's uploaded I can link it here.

I love to dance and frankly I'm amazed at some of the responses in this thread
You also once thought you were ESTP, you think that might have anything to do with it? You seem pretty close to being extroverted to me, too.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
Maybe I am wrong but dancing looks more like a ESTP thing.

even more an esfp thing.
Se doms dance well and enjoy it, it seems.

although, my isfp friend loves dancing. so social inhibition might play a big part in why istps apparently suck at dancing.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
although, my isfp friend loves dancing. so social inhibition might play a big part in why istps apparently suck at dancing.

my isfp girlfriend is an amazing dancer, really spectacular. her dance is salsa, she is just unbelievably good at salsa. she goes dancing with her cousin and i just watch, it would be futile for me to dance. i can do fine on a slow close dance, though.

also my isfp best friend is an amazing dancer, and loves to dance. and a lady magnet on the dance floor.

Unique

You also once thought you were ESTP, you think that might have anything to do with it? You seem pretty close to being extroverted to me, too.

Nope, I don't think it has anything to do with it, I think its one of those things that cant be pinned down on a type except for perhaps the Se function but that doesn't make them more likely to do it just more likely to enjoy it

So think Se users are more likely to appreciate it but that doesn't mean they will go for the specific sensation of dancing

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love to dance and frankly I'm amazed at some of the responses in this thread, we don't really have many expressions out of our mouths so dancing is perfect for expressing ourselves in a physical sense

I think its more likely not an ISTP thing rather a general "if you ask this question on the internet (even more so a typology forum) you will get a certain response" thing

But yeah dancing is a very specific thing, I wouldn't draw conclusions on ISTPs with this thread, you might find that a lot of INFPs online say that they aren't really into dancing but I know some in person that love it to bits

Im amazed at the responses also, I would love to learn because it is a physical way to express ourselves and I suck at it verbally and through facial expressions. I will admit that I dont know how, but I am always up to try anything.

Nope, I don't think it has anything to do with it, I think its one of those things that cant be pinned down on a type except for perhaps the Se function but that doesn't make them more likely to do it just more likely to enjoy it

So think Se users are more likely to appreciate it but that doesn't mean they will go for the specific sensation of dancing

My cousin is ESTP and we are alot alike, I am just alot more reserved. My first response is to watch and his is to try. We are both playful, but not immature if that makes sense. He loves to dance, I wish I knew how.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Stellar Renegade, when are you posting the vid of you dancing??;) Those photos make me want to jump right in and join the fun! They're fantastic!

^.........^

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

That's true, I'm just talking about in general, SPs liking dancing because of our enjoyment of such things. Don't let your desire to not generalize overtake your good sense about different types of people and their natural inclinations.

Stellar Renegade, when are you posting the vid of you dancing??;) Those photos make me want to jump right in and join the fun! They're fantastic!

^.........^

Believe me, once you see the vid, your desire to join in will be increased tenfold.

But how soon the video is uploaded depends entirely on the girl in the blue dress.

Unique

Oh now doubt Se > sensations > dancing

But dancing is still very specific and not every Se user is going to choose it though a lot of Se users might be surprised at just how much they enjoy it if they give it a chance

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I never said that every "Se user" would choose it, my point was that it's possible it's the extroversion of the ESTP that causes us to be more likely to dance and do it well than our ISTP counterparts.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never said that every "Se user" would choose it, my point was that it's possible it's the extroversion of the ESTP that causes us to be more likely to dance and do it well than our ISTP counterparts.

I think the extrovertedness of an ESTP will cause them to try more things physically. I could almost consider myself a shy ESTP at times. Thats when my Se pulls through and the physical rush is all in good fun.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, ESTPs I know seem to dance well. I was never sure if it was type related or not until this thread. Now, it might not be universal, but I think the average ESTP might be a better dancer than the average ISTP... only because what Phoenity said kinda made sense to me:
When I really get into music, I get this internal feeling of the music wanting my body to move with it. But thinking doesn't know how to translate this feeling into body movements, so it never comes out right.
That might not be exactly what's going on, but close enough to how I feel. I can't translate that feeling into body movements! And also, I hate to admit this (And I'm sure I probably stand alone here), but I can be a little self conscious about physical activities I'm not good at. It didn't help that my ESTP best girl friend teased me about how I danced growing up. The way she described it: "You look like a log trying to bend." Ever since comments like that forever ago, I become a little more aware of people looking at me, and thus more self conscious, and less likely to let loose. Anyways, my point being, I think ESTPs care less about what people think of their dancing and just go with it. I normally could care less about what people think, but some how dancing is one exception.

....Now after sharing this highly embarrassing tid-bit, I'd appreciate if this was wiped from all of your memories. :thelook:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, ESTPs I know seem to dance well. I was never sure if it was type related or not until this thread. Now, it might not be universal, but I think the average ESTP might be a better dancer than the average ISTP... only because what Phoenity said kinda made sense to me:

That might not be exactly what's going on, but close enough to how I feel. I can't translate that feeling into body movements! And also, I hate to admit this (And I'm sure I probably stand alone here), but I can be a little self conscious about physical activities I'm not good at. It didn't help that my ESTP best girl friend teased me about how I danced growing up. The way she described it: "You look like a log trying to bend." Ever since comments like that forever ago, I become a little more aware of people looking at me, and thus more self conscious, and less likely to let loose. Anyways, my point being, I think ESTPs care less about what people think of their dancing and just go with it. I normally could care less about what people think, but some how dancing is one exception.

....Now after sharing this highly embarrassing tid-bit, I'd appreciate if this was wiped from all of your memories. :thelook:

I feel the same way. I get very self concious when people make fun of how I look when I do things.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate social dancing and I'm terrible at it. I wish I could learn something more formalized like break dancing or contemporary or something because I enjoy watching it but I'm terrible at choreography. And uncoordinated. And self-conscious.

So glad it isn't everyone saying "ISTPs rock at dancing" which I was a little afraid of.