• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs... I have a question.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for your input.

I think the biggest consequence of changing your major is that the required classes for graduating with that degree may be different than the classes you've been taking. Therefore you have to go to school longer in order to get all the required classes - and pay more money. My daughter's boyfriend has done that. He changed his major last year and so now is doing a 5th year of college to get the required classes he needs to qualify for that degree.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think the biggest consequence of changing your major is that the required classes for graduating with that degree may be different than the classes you've been taking.

Definitely. When I switched to Math I added on a summer and Fall to my 4 years. I was lucky, too! I had already taken some of the calc classes from being in Engineering beforehand, and the pre-req's for the higher level Math's are pretty much Calc 1-3 (and being interested).

I could have been out in less than 4 years if I'd known I wanted to major in Math. C'est la vie.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Depending on how much he feels like he needs to supplant, he may want to consider accepting that very few jobs will be completely fulfilling.

I don't think that I will ever feel like I can be pigeon-holed into doing one thing. My answer to this was that I should find something that pays well, is needed in many different fashions and places, and can be done in contracts. This way I can work for a period of time then have the resources to do what I really want.

What you absolutely cannot do is try and decide something that will be "his thing". He should develop some marketable skills and play it by ear.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, that's why I was thinking he could learn to be an electrician. He could use his skills almost anywhere.

He wants to be a professional skateboarder, but it takes a sponsor. He's charming enough to get one, though.

And of course, that's not a life long pursuit.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, that's why I was thinking he could learn to be an electrician. He could use his skills almost anywhere.

He wants to be a professional skateboarder, but it takes a sponsor. He's charming enough to get one, though.

And of course, that's not a life long pursuit.

The way I would sell a better solution than that to an ISTP is to remind him that he will probably go through periods and places where skateboarding isn't plausible. He may go through periods where he wants to skateboard for fun without having to worry about what a sponsor wants him to do. He should develop a small array of marketable skills as backups.

If your son has ever changed interests, use that as an example--he will probably find other exciting things to do in the future as well. Plausible "boring" skills help make the transition easier.

alicia91

Old thread I realize, but I thought I'd give it my 2 cents.

Sending him to college would be a waste of money since he wouldn't study.

You know your son but I know several cases where once the kid matures and gets to college they suddenly start taking things more seriously. One of my friends sent her son to community college for the first year with the understanding that he would have to prove himself and he certainly did! Now he's almost finished his degree and still going strong. I think he may surprise you.

Does he have any interest in the medical field? It's 'hands-on' in a completely different way, but I recently read that medical technologists (they do x-rays, cat scans, MRI's, echos etc.) is the highest-paying 2 year degree jobs. Is he at all creative, artistic? What about landscape or graphic design? How about a business degree and he could own and operate a skate park?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Old thread I realize, but I thought I'd give it my 2 cents.

You know your son but I know several cases where once the kid matures and gets to college they suddenly start taking things more seriously. One of my friends sent her son to community college for the first year with the understanding that he would have to prove himself and he certainly did! Now he's almost finished his degree and still going strong. I think he may surprise you.

Does he have any interest in the medical field? It's 'hands-on' in a completely different way, but I recently read that medical technologists (they do x-rays, cat scans, MRI's, echos etc.) is the highest-paying 2 year degree jobs. Is he at all creative, artistic? What about landscape or graphic design? How about a business degree and he could own and operate a skate park?
Thanks for the response. He's still in high school, so I'm still looking for input.

He has an apparently ISTP propensity for wanting to do things that his friends are doing. Yet he's so shy he only has about a dozen friends. That tends to narrow the field. He seems to think he can go to a technical school and try things out. I hope he's right.

With this boy's tastes in life, a high paying job would be a good idea. ;)

alicia91

With this boy's tastes in life, a high paying job would be a good idea

My teens have expensive tastes also, so I'm getting concerned about future careers. My daughter wants to be a photographer and let's just say I'm not thrilled. Even though mine are only 13 and 15, and are two different types (ISTJ and ENFP - I think) and different sexes, they both only want to do things their friends are doing. I'm hoping they will grow out of that.

Good luck with your son finding his path. :)

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I have an ISTP son who doesn't know what he wants to do when he gets out of high school -
besides become a pro-skateboarder, I mean.

We're trying to direct him to a career choice that he will enjoy,
and where he will also make good money -
because that boy can burn through money!

He has some electrical experience in helping his father.
One night he came home, dirty and exhausted,
and with a great big enthusiastic smile he declared,
"Hey Mom! Guess what?! I almost got electrocuted 3 times!!
I think there's enough danger and adventure in electricity where he could enjoy it.

He hates reading and writing,
so we're not sending him to a 4-year college.
He's a kinesthetic (hands-on) learner.

Anybody have any input?

I had (and am still having, to an extent) a very difficult time figuring out what I wanted to do. My parents (IxTJ and ENTP) helped by allowing me to follow my interests--even with things like painting classes and historic reenactment that didn't seem to have "practical" career value. I had no idea what I wanted to do, but they also were open to letting me discover my own vocational
track--as long as I was doing something to that end. I wasn't allowed to just sit around.

Thus, I lived at home and worked for a year after high school while looking into different careers & training. I started at the local state university in the art department the next fall, but was quickly frustrated by the atmosphere & attitude of the profs. I left the university after only one semester and started checking out other options.

I figured that if I was going to work like crazy and spend thousands on an education, then I might as well do it right--so I applied and transferred to a small ivy league school on the east coast to study history. I honestly think that was where I was meant to be (I met my now fiance there), but I was such a hopeless fish out-of-water. My solace was the student theater club, where I designed, built, and painted things like my sanity depended on it (which it did, at times).

After 5 years of university and working numerous jobs during high school and after, I've come to the conclusion that if I were more mathematically inclined (I'm not), then I would either study a trade like carpentry, plumbing/heating, etc., or I'd go to school to be an architect. I'm most satisfied when I'm working on a short-term, concrete project that involves both some element of creative design and problem solving. However even with that said, I think that part of the nature of ISTPs is to live for our hobbies. I'm currently supposed to be studying and writing an 80-page minimum senior thesis to finish up my undergraduate degree (drat that ivy league school!) which seems like torture to me, But I somehow managed to find myself illustrating a friend's graphic novel as a side project. Guess which one I'm more interested in?

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I recently read that medical technologists (they do x-rays, cat scans, MRI's, echos etc.) is the highest-paying 2 year degree jobs.

This is true. There's a large regional hospital in my hometown and my father recently check out their x-ray tech training program for my brother. It is a relatively short training time and pays extremely well.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
...I think that part of the nature of ISTPs is to live for our hobbies....
Thanks for your input. :hi:
I can definitely agree with your "hobby" statement!
My son has been into skateboarding for a few years now.
He wants to be a pro, but that's like wanting to be a pro anything,
there are very few slots open.
You have to be exceptional, or exceptionally lucky.
He IS lucky.

I'm starting to think we should help him try to find a sponsor.
Sending him to school would be like putting money in the fire.

Windigo

I have an ISTP son who doesn't know what he wants to do when he gets out of high school -
besides become a pro-skateboarder, I mean.

We're trying to direct him to a career choice that he will enjoy,
and where he will also make good money -
because that boy can burn through money!

He has some electrical experience in helping his father.
One night he came home, dirty and exhausted,
and with a great big enthusiastic smile he declared,
"Hey Mom! Guess what?! I almost got electrocuted 3 times!!
I think there's enough danger and adventure in electricity where he could enjoy it.

He hates reading and writing,
so we're not sending him to a 4-year college.
He's a kinesthetic (hands-on) learner.

Anybody have any input?

My husband barely passed high school and his family thought he would either take over his dad's mechanic shop or work at a gas station. They weren't too concerned because they were all farmers.

2 weeks before he graduated a guy from DeVry showed up and he surprised everyone by packing up his suit case 3 weeks later and moving 1/2 way across the country to get an associates in electronics. DeVry got him a good job in the field and he's been an RF tech ever since.

He's gotten some work towards a bachelor's over the years but he refuses to get it because then, "they'll force (him) to work all the time as an engineer." This way as a tech he gets his weekends off to play. Although he's only getting half the pay of an engineer, he's become invaluable to the company and makes a pretty decent living. He's survived a ton of lay offs that the engineers haven't been so lucky to escape.

He still hates having a boss hanging over him (he has one of those right now) and he can't stand the endless meetings and paperwork his job requires, but he's the only one who knows where all the equipment is and how to get the best price for the equipment they need. He's now the lab manager and head tech who all the engineers know will get 'er done so he's got really great job stability.

And the less you direct the faster he'll find his way. My ISTP will only dig his heels in deeper if he feels he's being led. Their biggest fear is the fear of losing autonomy and freedom. If they feel boxed in they explode.

Oh, and although he's been known to rationalize the need for 4 computers in the house, he's over all pretty good with money . . . and maybe he'll meet a nice INTJ girl who will help run the finances! ; )

I know it's an old thread but, I thought it was interesting and was wondering how he's doing now that he's been out of HS?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My sister is an ISTP also and she's having the same issues your son is having about the direction of her life. Our family is basically learning not to pressure her and let her make her own decisions about what she eventually wants to do. It is a bit difficult though because she tends to float from job to job and we're worried about her having security and skills that can eventually stabilize her.

The idea that she expresses most frequently about her career is that she doesn't want to have a boss hanging over her head. The job she's been most content with so far is field representative for two different companies. All she had to do is provide her own transportation. I think that position required her two greatest assets: troubleshooting with customers and freedom to make her own schedule. These type of jobs exist and they actually pay quite well. The downside is they're very high turnover/stress.

Maybe your son can figure out what his best qualities are and find jobs (yes plural, he may not want to just do one thing) that align with what he naturally does best. My sis has a lot of different interests that she manages to capitalize on. She is cameraperson on the side and does amateur work for people's weddings and parties. It's quick and easy and she enjoys it. She also has an online store where she sells wholesale car audio equipment. I think she's very quick to seize on opportunities for herself and follow them up.

You can also check out the Occupational Handbook to see what careers are available that he would enjoy and are not going to dead-end soon. :)

I'm 30 and I'm just now maybe deciding upon my path. It's going to take a while for her. We like to dabble in a lot of things. It was very hard for me because I am female and I don't particularly like dealing with people. (Look at my OP in my blog link at the bottom of this post for more info) I've always been interested in working with my hands but it's somewhat intimidating to break into any sort of field like that because they are male dominated and it often takes an apprenticeship to get your feet wet unless you have connections in said industry or extreme determination to ingratiate yourself into it (generally hard for us to have this) it is very difficult. Be patient. Allow her to gain confidence and knowledge. She will find her way. :)

I'm a bit of an exception here, I think... but I can offer some generic advice.

First, remember that type is a rather large bag - don't push him towards something based just upon type. In particular, the Ss span a gigantic range of interests and it could backlash if you push towards "what he is suited for" based upon that.

In any case, I've noticed that ISTPs tend to prefer localized problem solving - trades is a good option. After that, it seems to break down into if they like working with their hands, how they feel when they finish something and how people orientated they are (ie: How S, how P and how IT). The ISTPs I know tend to like like building something, anything, just for the sake of building it. It could be a car, it could be a house... it could be a spreadsheet. A couple I know like doing helpdesk support (weaker T, I presume) simply because it lets them work a variety of problems in their field.

The best advice is to get him into a whole lot of things. It's true that ISTPs are flighty, but at the same time they tend to find passions and really work on it. Offering a variety of options and letting them try them are good. I've found that an ISTP will take up engineering if it will let them skateboard better; but they won't do anything unless it is a means to an end... their end. Jobs are similar.

Also remember that his reactions now are probably "teenagerish" - lack of boss, etc will probably tone down as the rebellion part ends. The trick is getting an hook into him - something that he can really associate with.

Such good insight. Just want to second this. Big time.

lilikoi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6?
Lots of good advice already on here. I particularly agree w/ the person that said help expose him to a lot of different things. We ISTPs are stubborn so if you push too hard, you may get rebellion. I think it is probably better to passively make suggestions or if he expresses an interest in something, be supportive. I am an ISTP - I have a LOT of very diverse interests; I am naturally very hands-on - anything to do w/ tools or making or fixing things with my hands I naturally excel at; I like sensory experiences; I am only interested in solving practical problems with real life applications; I can work endlessly on something I am passionate about yet will cut corners when I am not; I enjoy working with people who I think are smarter and better than me and have little respect for those who aren't. I have a B.S. degree in mechanical engineering so don't automatically rule out 4-year university just because of his type -- it is possible, but I think it would help to be majoring in something practical and if the real-world application is not real obvious as in a trade, that somebody explains the connection at the outset. I personally think I would have enjoyed trade school more.

If he likes electricity, he might like being an electrician. This might involve studying at a community college or trade school then apprenticing under a licensed electrician so that he can get his license. He may also like welding, plumbing, construction, or another job working with machines. He may like cooking (I do).

He may like mechanical engineering. He may be able to work for a sports company designing and/or testing skateboards, surfboards, skis, exercise equipment, or other products. Being interested in ME, he may become interested in materials science - skateboards are typically made out of wood but could be made out of composite materials as well. I also saw a video of someone who made a motorized skateboard for a senior design project. With a degree in engineering, maybe he could design sets for Cirque du Soleil shows or do special effects for movies or go on to host a TV show like Mythbusters.

Speaking of TV shows, I am betting Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs is an ISTP as his job is to get a taste of everyone else's jobs. He might also like working with food. I'd totally work for Ace of Cakes if I had the skill set.

He may consider being a stuntman. A farmer. A pilot. A diver. Underwater welder. Photographer covering news, wars, sports, or controversial issues.

I am reading a book called "Do What You Are" which is entirely about personality types and lists possible careers. I am also reading The Pathfinder which is a more holistic career book that your son may find useful one day.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTP's and cooking...haven't met one yet whether male or female who didn't know how or like doing it. There's got to be some, that don't?

lilikoi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6?
I second:

-Do not like having a boss; free spirited; absolutely detest micromanagement and rules
-Living for hobbies; free time is worth more to me than money

I enjoy reading and writing - reading because I learn new things, writing because I realized one day that it was a vital communication skill. I am pretty good at the latter (non-fiction or technical or critical writing, not fiction or creative writing). Maybe he will grow to like it as well.

Going to a technical or trade school or community college to "sample" is a good idea. He could just sign up for whatever he is interested in and see where it leads him. If I didn't have a full scholarship to a 4-year university, this is what I probably would have done. If he can get decent scholarship money, he should take advantage of it. I think as a high school senior you have access to the most scholarship money. My BSME degree cost me little more than time, and it is nice to know that if my other pursuits don't work out I can always go to an engineering firm and get some kind of job that pays quite a bit more than minimum wage.

If he LIKES math, do not rule out engineering. Math can seem like a load of theoretical crap in the beginning but once you get to partial differential equations it gets quite interesting and practical and starts explaining how things work.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
ISTP's and cooking...haven't met one yet whether male or female who didn't know how or like doing it. There's got to be some, that don't?

I don't like cooking 'cause it creates a mess and the portions always leave me eating the same food for WAY too long. A lot of food ends up going to waste 'cause I get tired of it or I can't eat it fast enough. I don't mind cooking when the food will get eaten tho.

lilikoi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6?
I don't like cooking 'cause it creates a mess and the portions always leave me eating the same food for WAY too long. A lot of food ends up going to waste 'cause I get tired of it or I can't eat it fast enough. I don't mind cooking when the food will get eaten tho.

This is how I used to be until I moved in w/ my bf. Sometimes I'll cook for family or friends, like Thanksgiving or Xmas so I get to make a bunch of stuff without having to eat it for weeks and everyone shares in some of the clean up. I like trying new recipes because I like tasting new flavors and being exposed to different cultures through food.