• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Quick Spur-of-the-moment Action

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Tell about a time where you did something in very little time either out of necessity or desire.

Recently my dad (yes, I do live with my fam right now) came up to me to wake me up to go to work (I had turned my alarm off earlier) and said, "You gonna get up?" so I immediately leaped off the top bunk where I was laying so he had to back up a couple paces, ran into the kitchen and started taking my pills since I only had a few minutes.

Just then I remembered my brother said I had to get a ride to work that night so I called my friend who was usually coming through at that time and told him I could be ready in five minutes. He said I had four, so I got ready in four minutes flat and ran down the stairs right in time.

I had to get dressed along with grabbing my badge, boxcutter and the millions of other pocketed items I carry, along with doing several other things. hahaha. Later my dad came to my work and said he had been ready to take me himself since they actually had the car. haha!

I'm sure I have many more examples of this, and this actually probably makes me look more lame than anything.

I mean, I've just revealed that I don't live on my own or have my own car. :doh:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Tell about a time where you did something in very little time either out of necessity or desire.

Recently my dad (yes, I do live with my fam right now) came up to me to wake me up to go to work (I had turned my alarm off earlier) and said, "You gonna get up?" so I immediately leaped off the top bunk where I was laying so he had to back up a couple paces, ran into the kitchen and started taking my pills since I only had a few minutes.

Just then I remembered my brother said I had to get a ride to work that night so I called my friend who was usually coming through at that time and told him I could be ready in five minutes. He said I had four, so I got ready in four minutes flat and ran down the stairs right in time.

I had to get dressed along with grabbing my badge, boxcutter and the millions of other pocketed items I carry, along with doing several other things. hahaha. Later my dad came to my work and said he had been ready to take me himself since they actually had the car. haha!

Haha. Yes, that's pretty good. But I usually don't encounter that situation, because I know have a tendency to be lazy in the mornings, so on the previous night... I take a shower, arrange everything I need to put in my pockets in a predictable position, and lay out my clothes in a position where I can get into them in less than two minutes. On the half of days I actually get up on time, I can have breakfast and listen to music to get myself psyched up. On the other half, I end up being dressed and out the door with a cola in hand before I'm even fully awake.

Let's see, though. There was this one situation where the cafeteria lines in school were really long, and by the time you got your food, it was almost time to go back to class. Well, in my case, I had a 16 oz. coke I hadn't touched, and the bell rang. So, not wanting to waste the coke and face caffeine withdrawal... I twisted the cap off, and drank the whole thing without really stopping to breathe. At some point during the drinking, the boys sitting next to me starting chanting, "Go, go," and congratulated me, and I couldn't figure out what was so impressive about drinking a coke fast when I was in a hurry to get to class. I noticed that I had a severe ice cream headache and was somewhat nauseous when I was done, but that was temporary, and paled in comparison to the kind of caffeine withdrawal I would have faced if I hadn't done it.

I later found out that I had done something called "chugalugging," and apparently it was considered to be challenging for some reason. People thought I was "cool" for the rest of the year after that. It was weird, and had unintended consequences.
I'm sure I have many more examples of this, and this actually probably makes me look more lame than anything.

I mean, I've just revealed that I don't live on my own or have my own car. :doh:

You too? Don't feel too bad, I have the same problem. I'm working on getting a job, though, so I can live somewhere on my own, even if it's not a very nice place. Unfortunately no one seems interested in hiring me. :(

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
hahahaha... that's hilarious. Unintentional popularity rocks! :nice:

Haha. Yes, that's pretty good. But I usually don't encounter that situation, because I know have a tendency to be lazy in the mornings, so on the previous night... I take a shower, arrange everything I need to put in my pockets in a predictable position, and lay out my clothes in a position where I can get into them in less than two minutes. On the half of days I actually get up on time, I can have breakfast and listen to music to get myself psyched up. On the other half, I end up being dressed and out the door with a cola in hand before I'm even fully awake.
Man, they were telling me to do that in middle school, and I still never developed that habit... haha.

Actually, it's not as lame as it sounds either, cuz the main reason I'm still living with the 'rents is to help them out and not vice versa. I was making 2k each month last summer but couldn't buy a car cuz I was funneling funds for the household (my dad had an episode and didn't work for a bit). I'm moving to Seattle in a couple months, though, as long as all goes well.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
hahahaha... that's hilarious. Unintentional popularity rocks! :nice:

Yep. ;) It probably would have gotten better if I hadn't pretty much been forced to switch high schools each year (once was actually due to a zoning change or something). I spent my freshman year at one high school, sophomore year in another, and my junior and senior year at a third one.

Actually, it's not as lame as it sounds either, cuz the main reason I'm still living with the 'rents is to help them out and not vice versa. I was making 2k each month last summer but couldn't buy a car cuz I was funneling funds for the household (my dad had an episode and didn't work for a bit). I'm moving to Seattle in a couple months, though, as long as all goes well.

Wow. That's definitely not lame. Very responsible of you to help out your parents... because you don't technically have to, though it's the right thing. Mine really IS as lame as it sounds, though. I've never had a job, and I was too scared to learn how to drive.

In fact, I'm looking for a job right now. Can't figure out how to get someone to hire me (or even interview me for that matter) with no experience, no references, and a high school diploma, but I'm trying.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Yep. ;) It probably would have gotten better if I hadn't pretty much been forced to switch high schools each year (once was actually due to a zoning change or something). I spent my freshman year at one high school, sophomore year in another, and my junior and senior year at a third one.
I just found out the other day how many high schools my best friend went to. I don't think we actually counted them, but I'm pretty sure it's more than how many schools I went to total, which was 7.

Wow. That's definitely not lame. Very responsible of you to help out your parents... because you don't technically have to, though it's the right thing. Mine really IS as lame as it sounds, though. I've never had a job, and I was too scared to learn how to drive.
Well, don't like to see people I'm close to suffer.

I was never scared to drive, just a big procrastinator. I tend to see each day as a different animal and get lost in the moment. I have a hard time stepping back and seeing weeks or months at a time.

In fact, I'm looking for a job right now. Can't figure out how to get someone to hire me (or even interview me for that matter) with no experience, no references, and a high school diploma, but I'm trying.
Oh, I'm sure it's not that hard. Just get something simple for now, some places will snatch anybody up, and work your way up from there. I eventually became a keyholder (low-ranking manager) that way though I never even intended to. Who knows what I might accomplish when I put my mind to it!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

I woke up one morning when the children were young (guessing about 4 and 2 yrs old), got them up and gave them their breakfast whilst i was looking online at train times as i wanted to go to the seaside. We were out the house in about 30 mins and we had a great day by the sea.

Love those moments. :D

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Yes, I love random adventures. Funny, I do like to plan a little beforehand what I'm going to do or else I feel almost caught up in a stream-of-consciousness mode of doing things, although that can be fun, too. But I definitely keep my options as to how I'm going to go through with it completely open. :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, driving down to north carolina with a few hippies..

I was on vacation in college, my friend invited me to NC.. she said.. "we're headed out tomorrow.." so of course I say no.. I had only about 200 dollars plus a credit card.. The next day I figure I love it down there, its late December, it will be so nice with the weather. So I call her up and say.. "hey where are ya?" they were on the road already but only a half hour away... Turned the tiny car around, said there wasn't a lot of space.. I asked when they were coming back and they said they didn't know. Oh well. I packed a LL Bean backpack and off I was for eight days for concerts and the best time of my life!

(I have a few little stories like this .. but.. I think this was my favorite..)

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Well, I was actually talking about an opportunity or need that required moving fast to close in on something within a few scant moments that you performed successfully. I guess in a sense your trip fell into that category, but not quite what I was thinking about.

That's cool, though, cuz it gives me a chance to show off, too. Here's what I said in your what-do-SPs-think-about thread:

Also, I like to live so moment-by-moment I tend to freak others out. I'm sure on my trip to Austin recently I would've freaked any self-respecting Guardian travelling with me out by the way I walked so close to the edge.

Here's how my trip went:

A couple months back I had decided I wanted to go see my favorite band down in Austin, esp. since they were playing on my day off, so I scheduled another day off, which is the only thing I did ahead of time at all.

I didn't buy any train tickets, which was good since I happened to have a friend who was touring all the shows in Texas and he was coming up to Dallas first and I kept not getting an answer from him but finally did a couple days before, and I rode with him. I also didn't know for sure who I was staying with until a couple days before, either.

I get there and end up staying all day in my friends' house alone, took a nap (my sleep schedule is geared for night shift) and when one of the guys got home he asked me how long I was staying with somewhat of a grimace on his face, so I told him I could leave the next morning (still hadn't bought a return train ticket, haha). The other friend got home and invited me to stay another day, which was good because we got to party with some girls we had met at the show that first night.

I bought the return ticket and left the next day, when I was almost home I texted my brother and asked him to look up bus schedules since I forgot to. I caught the right buses and made it safely home.

I'm not sure anyone else but an SP would have been comfortable doing that, but that's definitely the way I prefer it. hahahaha...

I told someone on another forum that if I could just decide to go to college the day before classes start I would totally do that.

...not to mention that most of what I did during that trip was completely spontaneous, including leaping on stage to dance with the band. hahaha.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I was actually talking about an opportunity or need that required moving fast to close in on something within a few scant moments that you performed successfully. I guess in a sense your trip fell into that category, but not quite what I was thinking about.

That's cool, though, cuz it gives me a chance to show off, too. Here's what I said in your what-do-SPs-think-about thread:

...not to mention that most of what I did during that trip was completely spontaneous, including leaping on stage to dance with the band. hahaha.

wow cool....

oh ya mean like giving the heimlich or something??
i've done that before too.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I realized after I posted that, that it wanes in comparison to the spontaneity of your trip. haha. I would totally have done that too, though.

In fact, I think alot of people probably would've done what I did. Although they're probably all SPs. haha. oh well.

Anyway, yeah. The heimlich is a good example.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I once did three weeks worth of washing in a day.

i have done several weeks worth of cooking in a day. and then i just froze it and reheated my meals for a few weeks.

a do a lot of spontaneous stuff. i moved to new york city spontaneously (from LA), with no job or home lined up beforehand, and a few days of forethought. i left all my furniture behind.
when i was in the fire department there was a lot of the "quick action" you guys are talking about. no time to think, you just have to act.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I ate an entire king sized bag of fritos. Because I could. I mean, I started eating them because I was hungry, but I coulda stopped like halfway and been plenty full, but I was eating them so fast that I suddenly realized when I was like 3/4 done "hey, I am eating the HELL outta these fritos!" So at that point I'm thinking "i can finish this sucker. Rawwwwwrrrrr!" So I did. And yeah I got a tummy ache, yeah I felt like I was gonna puke a bit, but it was worth it, because dammit, Fritos! Rawrrrrrrrrr! :rock:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Oh, you should see me eat. I eat way too incredibly fast. People have remarked that they turn their heads for a second and when they look back my food is gone. And I eat alot, too. haha.

a do a lot of spontaneous stuff. i moved to new york city spontaneously (from LA), with no job or home lined up beforehand, and a few days of forethought. i left all my furniture behind.
This is similar to what I did when I went to WA. An internet friend decided I would make a great camp counselor, and I figured that would help me out of my rut so a couple months later I went up, not knowing if I would stay or not. My dad said he was regarding it as my moving out, basically.

Long story short, I finally decided by the end of the summer I would stay in WA because I had fallen in love with it and I bought a car from the cook's assistant with most of my earnings. I was going to live in it until I got a job and enough money to get a place. Unfortunately it broke down and I ended up leaving it on the side of the road. I thought about camping out in the woods until I had more options, but the camp director let me stay in return for washing dishes. Finally he forced me to leave, and I lived with the family of another internet friend in Seattle for a couple more months before finally just returning home. haha.

I'm moving back to Seattle this fall with a better plan this time. And actually letting people know my plans beforehand. I got a few people upset last time because they didn't know I was thinking about staying. hah

when i was in the fire department there was a lot of the "quick action" you guys are talking about. no time to think, you just have to act.
Nice. I think being a firefighter would probably be an amazing job.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Now that's the kind of thing I'd fantasize about doing, but not the kind of thing I'd actually be crazy enough to do. Mostly because I'm afraid of finding out that the new place has all the same limitations and problems as the place I left, and nothing will have improved or opened up in the new situation. If I don't try, I can always imagine that there's a place I could go to find more opportunities. Lame, I know, but that's how my mind works a lot of the time.

I ate an entire king sized bag of fritos. Because I could. I mean, I started eating them because I was hungry, but I coulda stopped like halfway and been plenty full, but I was eating them so fast that I suddenly realized when I was like 3/4 done "hey, I am eating the HELL outta these fritos!" So at that point I'm thinking "i can finish this sucker. Rawwwwwrrrrr!" So I did. And yeah I got a tummy ache, yeah I felt like I was gonna puke a bit, but it was worth it, because dammit, Fritos! Rawrrrrrrrrr! :rock:

I know what you mean, except I don't really do this consciously or view it as an achievement.

Sometimes I eat an entire bag of chips without realizing I've eaten them. Mostly it's when I'm really into something, and focused to the point that I don't concentrate on eating. Basically Ni tells Se, "Hey, I'm too busy to worry about lunch today, will you take care of it for me?" Se goes, "Okay, I'll grab something... let's see, what will take the least preparation? Oh, look, a bag of chips. That should fix it for now." Then, several hours later, during dinner, I happen to ask, "Why aren't we having chips with these burgers? Didn't we get some earlier?" And then someone has to tell me, "You ate them all." and then I look over at the bag and go "Oh, yeah... I guess I did."

Basically, SPs probably define Se as "what makes life worth living," while I define it as "the reason my diets fail eventually." :laugh:

Oh, you should see me eat. I eat way too incredibly fast. People have remarked that they turn their heads for a second and when they look back my food is gone. And I eat alot, too. haha.

Yeah, I do that too (except I usually don't eat a lot). I never understood eating food slowly, it seems like a waste of time.

This is similar to what I did when I went to WA. An internet friend decided I would make a great camp counselor, and I figured that would help me out of my rut so a couple months later I went up, not knowing if I would stay or not. My dad said he was regarding it as my moving out, basically.

Long story short, I finally decided by the end of the summer I would stay in WA because I had fallen in love with it and I bought a car from the cook's assistant with most of my earnings. I was going to live in it until I got a job and enough money to get a place. Unfortunately it broke down and I ended up leaving it on the side of the road. I thought about camping out in the woods until I had more options, but the camp director let me stay in return for washing dishes. Finally he forced me to leave, and I lived with the family of another internet friend in Seattle for a couple more months before finally just returning home. haha.

I'm moving back to Seattle this fall with a better plan this time. And actually letting people know my plans beforehand. I got a few people upset last time because they didn't know I was thinking about staying. hah

That's interesting that you managed to use connections to Internet friends to set up a situation for yourself away from home. Sigh... I guess this is why SPs don't bother with fantasies. They don't need them, because they can actually get most of what they want out of real life.

Does it ever bother you that people want to know your plans? I always feel a bit offended when people want to know that... I never want to tell them, because I feel like I'm giving up control when I do that. I tend to feel like what I'm planning is no one else's business unless it affects them directly. Having to tell people what I'm doing ahead of time just makes me not want to do anything at all. Unfortunately, I rarely do anything without telling people, so I end up doing as little as possible because I really, really hate telling people what I'm planning. To the point that I'd rather do nothing than have to tell people what I want to do. It's so... invasive. Do you know what I mean?

The worst part of it is, they always throw worst-case scenarios at me, and demand sound reasoning and detailed plans. Which I'm never able to provide, and then they say things that scare me. They always tell me that my plans are too vague. Which pretty much breaks my trust in myself to the point that I never follow my own plans.

I always end up thinking to myself at this point, "What is it with people who want you to plan out details rather than just an outline? For all I know, X could happen and I'd have to do Y, or Z could happen and I'd have to do A. I can only prepare for most of the possible ways the situation might unfold based on my goals, I won't know the details until I get there. Are people insane? Do they expect me to be psychic and commit to several details about a future situation being correct that I have no direct control over, and inform them of every little thing that deviates from them? That doesn't make any sense, it's pointless. I think they just don't want me to do anything, so I guess I won't do anything."

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Yeah, I do that too (except I usually don't eat a lot). I never understood eating food slowly, it seems like a waste of time.
It is. People have asked me if I want to actually enjoy my food and I say, "This is how I enjoy my food." haha.

That's interesting that you managed to use connections to Internet friends to set up a situation for yourself away from home. Sigh... I guess this is why SPs don't bother with fantasies. They don't need them, because they can actually get most of what they want out of real life.
Yeah, and couple that with the fact that every job I've had until this one has been acquired by the help of someone from the inside. Of course I'm working for the same company I worked for 6 years ago.

Does it ever bother you that people want to know your plans? I always feel a bit offended when people want to know that... I never want to tell them, because I feel like I'm giving up control when I do that. I tend to feel like what I'm planning is no one else's business unless it affects them directly. Having to tell people what I'm doing ahead of time just makes me not want to do anything at all. Unfortunately, I rarely do anything without telling people, so I end up doing as little as possible because I really, really hate telling people what I'm planning. To the point that I'd rather do nothing than have to tell people what I want to do. It's so... invasive. Do you know what I mean?
No... the only thing that annoys me about people asking me what I'm going to do is that I'm often not sure. I like to keep my options open for as long as possible. I don't mind people asking, though, I'll usually tell them what my tentative plans are or maybe just give them some BS or distract them with something that doesn't answer their question overall.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It is. People have asked me if I want to actually enjoy my food and I say, "This is how I enjoy my food." haha.

Yep. I usually just look confused and say, "I did enjoy it." More often, it just leads to me not wanting to eat in front of the people who don't like it when you eat fast.
Yeah, and couple that with the fact that every job I've had until this one has been acquired by the help of someone from the inside. Of course I'm working for the same company I worked for 6 years ago.

Ah, yes, that is the trick, isn't it? I KNEW that was probably how people found jobs. Yes, knowing someone on the inside of a company that wants to help you is a good thing to know, indeed.
No... the only thing that annoys me about people asking me what I'm going to do is that I'm often not sure. I like to keep my options open for as long as possible. I don't mind people asking, though, I'll usually tell them what my tentative plans are or maybe just give them some BS or distract them with something that doesn't answer their question overall.

Hehe. Sounds like you are a little uncomfortable with the precise thing they asked for, you just evade it in a way that lets you get further along with it. Basically, you just deal with the question (rather than the answer) in an expedient manner and move on. That actually sounds like an interesting approach...

I know what you mean, though. I'm usually not sure of exactly what I'm going to do, I'm only sure of why I'm going to do it. Basically, I know what my goal is, and I don't like committing to a specific course of action when there's a chance something could come up that would get me closer to my goal more easily or in a better way than the original plan. The problem is that most people (or at least ISTJs) won't take a vaguely defined goal with an explanation of the contingencies and alternatives that have been considered as a plan (even though that works for me). :doh:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Yep, that's why I skirt around the question as much as possible. It's not most peoples' business, therefore I don't have to endure their annoying lectures.

You don't have to know someone to get a job, it's just a really good way and something that happened to click for me. Confidence is probably the number one thing you need when trying to impress employers. It will more than likely get you in the door quick. The rest can be BS'd for the most part.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yep, that's why I skirt around the question as much as possible. It's not most peoples' business, therefore I don't have to endure their annoying lectures.

:yes:
You don't have to know someone to get a job, it's just a really good way and something that happened to click for me. Confidence is probably the number one thing you need when trying to impress employers. It will more than likely get you in the door quick. The rest can be BS'd for the most part.

That makes sense, too. I guess I meant it was an understandable way, and I can imagine more people (particularly less confident ones) getting jobs that way than most other ways.

Confidence... yeah, that must be what they expect. They just push past all the stuff they say, and make them deal with the point of the situation... what you've got to offer, and what they need. I can imagine people getting jobs that way, too. That's probably how the people that get employed through interviews, get employed.