• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] The SP need for Impact

wolfy

awsm
To have an impact. What does it mean to you?
Other types can comment.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
I see "impact" as manifest responsibility....through the steady application of our better pursuits we can set an example or carry a message froward into the future to be handed on to others.

Or do you mean any impact, i.e. getting attention for behavior to promote self? Short term explosive attention designed to bring immediate "payback"

wolfy

awsm
I really don't know. I was just reflecting on the word impact and wondered what others thought. It comes up in SP descriptions. I understand what it is but can't find the words.

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
Impact means my actions are receiving positive attention from others, at least when it's important to me ... or that I'm personally feeling I'm making a good impression. I often know when I'm doing well and can sense what others are thinking. For example, that might mean that when I'm dressed nicely, others like what I'm wearing. Or that my artistic efforts are well executed and others like what I've done.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
So for Sidewinder the subjective approval of others, or the ability to conform to a recognized societal standard equates as impact?

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
So for Sidewinder the subjective approval of others, or the ability to conform to a recognized societal standard equates as impact?

No, it's definitely not a social standard. That's probably more SJ. If it's someone else's standard, it's not impact. That's only fitting in or measuring up. I can make an impact in a completely unexpected or non-approved way!

It's more about my own standards. I have a very high sense of competence that I hold myself to, and I know when I'm hitting it. :yes:

phoenity

I don't really get it. Impact essentially implies to affect in some way, right? In what context is it used in the type descriptions?

If there is a practical need for impact, and I perform an action to have an affect on that need, of course I would need it to impact in order to feel it was/I am effective.

Though is that not universal across all types of people? Who wants their efforts to bear no fruit at all?

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
With regards to this aspect of the SP matrix, I rather believe the other qualities tie in to such the extent that something like aspiring to be virtuoso would greatly change the nature of where one stands in one's want for impact.

Personally, I have a rather grand picture for impact, and it's got not much to do with fame or money, but that of communication...
I'd rather liked Hirsch63's comment on "...manifest responsibility...", as well.

With regards to phoenity's question the context is the Value Role of Yearning, with regards to an SP, in that of impact.

I think the book says something to the extent of an SP simply needing to be conspicuously potent in whatever form they decide...
Which I find that I wouldn't disagree with personally.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Which book? That sounds an awful lot like Brains & Careers.

I have desires to make an impact on varying levels.

On a smaller scale I want to make a good impression, to be loveable and come off as smart, witty, sophisticated to a degree, creative and be popular. Like last night when I walked the catwalk for a benefit fashion show and got really good reactions (especially during the practice run in front of the girls), I felt fulfilled in a sense.

But there's a greater sense in which if I did not fulfill it, I would not feel complete. A sense in which I think everyone wants to make a profound impact, no less the SP, regardless of our supposed penchant for simply desiring a good image or something within the various moment one finds oneself in.

I guess the best example I can come up with is Robin Hood. There's no doubt in my mind that he was an SP - totally engrossed in the moment, fully aware of all his surroundings, clever, skilled with his tools (bow & arrow), witty and extremely tactical. Yet he put his life to a greater purpose, that of defending the poor and downtrodden and fighting an oppressive king.

The audacity of the SP to fight oppression is totally different than that of the NF's urge to reconcile or strengthen the bonds between people, or the NT's drive to make life more efficient and liveable for others, or the SJ's duty to defend against the invaders. Every temperament has its part and just because one seems more inclined in its weakness towards criminal activity means nothing in this regard.

So, I would not feel fulfilled if I were not doing my part to use the resources I can to fight whatever forces are hampering the freedom of others or oppressing them. That's ultimately the kind of impact I want to have.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
To have an impact. What does it mean to you?

It means that somebody is affected by me in some way. Now, I'm a pretty impatient attention whore, so I always like immediate reactions that demonstrate impact, and I can feel let down if someone takes a while to respond to what I do.

So, if I tell a joke, and get a laugh, I feel happy, because it's an instant response. But I worked hard on recording some CDs for two different people to listen to, and both of them thanked me, but they both didn't listen to them right away and don't know where they are, so I felt a bit disappointed because it didn't bring them the pleasure I was hoping for, at least not right away.

The main things I like to do is create and entertain and both are about impact. Although I can enjoy the act of creating something even if it really doesn't have much impact, too. But it's even better if it does. If somebody appreciates something I create, there's a more lasting high from that, and it helps boost my self-esteem for future creating ideas.

I have more feelings about this topic, but they arent' coming to me in words right now, wolfy. I have a feeling you can understand. :)

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Oh, that makes me think of a couple of things:

I like to interact with people on an intensely fast and highly active level. So when I don't get very responsive or fast reactions, I get really disappointed and let down.

I also like to do things in such a way that I make an impact on the material world and get a good reaction out of that. Such that I feel like I'm really doing something, leaving an imprint if you will, making a huge dent.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, that makes me think of a couple of things:

I like to interact with people on an intensely fast and highly active level. So when I don't get very responsive or fast reactions, I get really disappointed and let down.

I also like to do things in such a way that I make an impact on the material world and get a good reaction out of that. Such that I feel like I'm really doing something, leaving an imprint if you will, making a huge dent.

+1!

I will accomplish my objective, no matter what. ;)

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
And if other people get in the way, you just run them over.

You apologize afterwards, of course...

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
The main things I like to do is create and entertain and both are about impact. Although I can enjoy the act of creating something even if it really doesn't have much impact, too. But it's even better if it does. If somebody appreciates something I create, there's a more lasting high from that, and it helps boost my self-esteem for future creating ideas.

Yes, that's how I feel too. You expressed that very well, Jeffster. Thank you! :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, that's how I feel too. You expressed that very well, Jeffster. Thank you! :)

No problem! :)

This response is another example of something that makes me feel good. :blush: