• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Do SPs like danger and discomfort?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So... I'm kind of curious.

Do SPs generally enjoy danger and physical discomfort/pain more than other types?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Who doesn't enjoy good old fashioned pain and discomfort?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Who doesn't enjoy good old fashioned discomfort?

I certainly don't. I prefer situations to be comfortable and non-threatening. When things get uncomfortable and the danger level increases, I kind of want to get out of there. FAST.

I imagine that since SPs are supposed to be the opposite of me, they'd rush right into danger as fast as I run away from it.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I certainly don't. I prefer situations to be comfortable and non-threatening. When things get uncomfortable and the danger level increases, I kind of want to get out of there. FAST.

I imagine that since SPs are supposed to be the opposite of me, they'd rush right into danger as fast as I run away from it.

Haha I was sort of kidding around, being sarcastic when I made that statement. Sorry, should have included a wink emoticon or something.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Haha I was sort of kidding around, being sarcastic when I made that statement. Sorry, should have included a wink emoticon or something.

Ah, that's okay. I probably should have gotten it. Would have gotten it right off, if I hadn't been under the impression Sensors (especially STs) might very well prefer such things.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I dunno, I need specifics, what is and isn't considered dangerous and uncomfortable by the other types?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So... I'm kind of curious.

Do SPs generally enjoy danger and physical discomfort/pain more than other types?

Danger? That's relative. What's dangerous to some is not to others, but I am generally not averse to dealing with danger if I deem I have the skills necessary to engage it and be victorious, it's on.

Physical discomfort/pain? Ummm...I don't seek these things, but I am not afraid of them. If I get an ouchey on my knee as a result of me taking on something I thought I could handle then I'm not going to cry to my Mommy about it.

;)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I dunno, I need specifics, what is and isn't considered dangerous and uncomfortable by the other types?

Getting into fights is one example of what I'd consider dangerous. I guess SPs might not think so.

Others include:

1. Subjecting oneself to extreme temperatures (hot or cold) as a test of endurance.

2. Skydiving.

3. Knowingly going to places where criminal activity takes place... especially at night.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Danger? That's relative. What's dangerous to some is not to others, but I am generally not averse to dealing with danger if I deem I have the skills necessary to engage it and be victorious, it's on.

Ah. Well, SPs probably don't need to be afraid of fights or confrontation. They're probably tough, quick, and calm enough that most people don't pose a threat to them.

I suppose fewer things are dangerous for SPs than for other types, because they're so good at coming up with ways to deal with them quickly.
Physical discomfort/pain? Ummm...I don't seek these things, but I am not afraid of them. If I get an ouchey on my knee as a result of me taking on something I thought I could handle then I'm not going to cry to my Mommy about it.

Well, yes, I guess that's what I meant. That SPs aren't afraid of pain or discomfort, apparently. I don't suppose anyone LIKES those things.

Halla, I'd actually say that your avatar is exactly what I picture when I think of a typical SP. Only with regular clothes instead of a costume.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Getting into fights is one example of what I'd consider dangerous. I guess SPs might not think so.

I never willingly get into fights, if I lose, then I have lost and have not achieved anything, if I win I will feel wrong for having been so violent, I can't see any resolution coming from it so I don't bother, danger doesn't really come into it.

I don't do the other things you mentioned.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I never willingly get into fights, if I lose, then I have lost and have not achieved anything, if I win I will feel wrong for having been so violent, I can't see any resolution coming from it so I don't bother, danger doesn't really come into it.

Yes, that's exactly how I feel. I wouldn't fight someone for those reasons... because I could either get seriously hurt, or else I would be disgusted with myself for winning and hurting someone else. Throw on top of that the fact that I tend to avoid danger and pain, and well... yeah, fighting isn't something I like.

It seems so far like ISFPs don't like danger and discomfort any more than I do, but ESTPs are rather unconcerned about those things, and like to test/challenge themselves in those ways.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems so far like ISFPs don't like danger and discomfort any more than I do, but ESTPs are rather unconcerned about those things, and like to test/challenge themselves in those ways.

According to one ESTP. Why on earth would SPs like danger? What does Se have to do with danger? This is just a load of crap IMO. Do you really think that 1/4 of the personality types are like this? You didn't really explain why you thought this...

How does one enjoy discomfort?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
According to one ESTP. Why on earth would SPs like danger? What does Se have to do with danger? This is just a load of crap IMO. Do you really think that 1/4 of the personality types are like this? You didn't really explain why you thought this...

Hey it's possible, being "in the moment" it's certainly conceivable that SPs place more importance on adrenaline/endorphin rushes than other types, with possible lower thresholds for risktaking than other types resulting.

Safety and comfort while nice, can also be very boring, life wouldn't be worth living if everything was safe and comfortable.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Se by itself? Well, nothing. But there is the idea out there that SPs are extremely impulsive and willing to gamble with their lives.

I suppose you could associated Se with danger, because it's associated with violence, breaking the rules/laws, and daredevil behavior. All of those things can be very dangerous.

Basically, my initial impression of SPs could best be described by Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55."

Well, there's masochism, on one hand... and I've heard a lot of athletes say things like, "No pain, no gain," or "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Basically, some people enjoy discomfort because they like using their ability to endure it to show how strong/tough they are. It seems like something an SP might like, especially since SPs tend to be more athletic.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Se by itself? Well, nothing. But there is the idea out there that SPs are extremely impulsive and willing to gamble with their lives.

I suppose you could associated Se with danger, because it's associated with violence, breaking the rules/laws, and daredevil behavior. All of those things can be very dangerous.

Well then time to not waste my time in this thread.

Jaguar

Getting into fights is one example of what I'd consider dangerous.
Others include:

1. Subjecting oneself to extreme temperatures (hot or cold) as a test of endurance.

I pour ice cubes and vodka in the bathtub, then jump in.
Afterwards, I pour gasoline on my tanning bed, then strike a match.
I tan better that way.

3. Knowingly going to places where criminal activity takes place... especially at night.

All you need is a sawed off shotgun under your trench coat and you will be fine.
A couple hand grenades in each pocket can be used for emergencies.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I pour ice cubes and vodka in the bathtub, then jump in.
Afterwards, I pour gasoline on my tanning bed, then strike a match.
I tan better that way.

All you need is a sawed off shotgun under your trench coat and you will be fine.
A couple hand grenades in each pocket can be used for emergencies.

LOL. :rofl1:

It sounds pretty ridiculous when you say it like that. It sounds like a B-rated action movie.

Maxwell22290

MBTI Type
ISFP

2. Skydiving.

I want to go skydiving. And the scenario in #3 doesn't really sound scary to me at all. Extreme hot doesn't bother me, but I don't like to be too cold.