• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] From an ESFP: Why is everyone so surprised when I say something intelligent?!

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Now that I think about it, economics and politics make perfect sense as a source of intellectual inspiration for an ESFP. There's an inherent understanding of the system as a set of interactions between people - that it is impossible to separate such things from their human element. I wonder, do you ever find yourself forming "attachments" to certain figures, such as a well known politician or say, Friedman or Keynes, in a somewhat personal way?

I wonder if that's where some of the "ditz" stereotype comes from - it's not that you're unintelligent, it's that you've been so effective at negotiating the social landscape, because you have an inherent grasp of the skills and interactions necessary to make people like you, and form a large social circle. That's the practical reality of politics. You also understand the ability of all these individual actors to create a massive collective effect - that's the practical reality of economics.

Or did I get this all wrong?

Oh yeah that is exactly right! Now that I think about it, I think it might be two things. The first is that I had lived with an INTJ boyfriend for 6 years so we definitely influenced each other. The second thing is that I think I took my INTJ boyfriend's interests and tried to find them interesting in my own ESFP way. So for example, he was into political theory, which I found boring until I learned about the human side of it. I became interested not in the theory and math of economics but about collective human instinct and emotion and how it creates all of these problems and results in the world. I wish in public school they would have taught this way.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I wish in public school they would have taught this way.

I totally understand where you're coming from. It really makes me irritated when I think back to how math was taught then, which was a completely procedural fashion. It wasn't until very late in college that I realized that math beyond arithmetic was about relationships, having very little to do with the processes of arithmetic.

My brain would get so bogged down in the procedural aspects, that I would never be able to understand the relationship that was supposed to be demonstrated. That reminds me of what you were saying about the particulars and theory.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
lol, awwww, the cute little ESFP is studying economics! and is learning to say smart things! awww....

OSO KEWT ><

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Dont you were forbidden to flirt in the SP forums ?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've always thought of ESFPs as being just as intelligent as other types. Being around a few of them quite a bit, I've noticed they have the ability to pay a great deal of attention to detail and have no problem remembering it. ESFPs that I know can often be very factual and even insightful towards things that us Ns might sometimes overlook.

Unique

PERSONALITY DOESN'T = INTELLIGENCE

Seriously. Personality is more about how you act than anything, your general attitude.

ESFPs often lose patience with study etc but that doesn't mean they can't be brilliantly intelligent

Eowyn

MBTI Type
ESfP
Enneagram
ESFPs often lose patience with study etc but that doesn't mean they can't be brilliantly intelligent

Thank you. I'm quite intelligent, but I usually get bored studying. I can only read so much before my head threatens to explode.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ i'm the same way..
I have to rely on being smart and learning quickly to get by.. I can't study for too long.

trollgrinder

MBTI Type
INTP
Odd, I wouldn't find it out of the ordinary for an ESFp to have "intellectual" interests. My best friend is an ESFp/SEE type, and quite honestly, she can keep up with me just fine in a philosophical argument, when she wants to. My subjects of interest just don't hold her attention for long. Anything she's interested in though, she's very knowledgeable about. Also, whereas I feel a natural drive to observe, study, and just keep endlessly compounding my knowledge of a subject, she seems to feel one to gather and apply just what she needs on the fly, which is a far more practical form and expenditure of intellect. She's a very smart girl though, and of the two of us, it's actually her that continually sells herself short, and much to my dismay. From my self-absorbed perspective, the mere fact that I consider her special means she is a very special, worthwhile, and intelligent person, otherwise I wouldn't associate with her. :laugh:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say its because the people who are shocked either are not that smart or are not good detectors of intelligence

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Because they are arrogant enough to underestimate your cognitive capabilities. People here have a very biased attitude toward's Sensors, especially ESFP's, making half-experiental judgement's and creating stereotype's of the supposed inherit stupidity of the type. It suck's goatballs i know... however on the bright side, tis their short-sightedness.. they would make themselves look silly when showing surprise.. thus you should not take this offense.. rather consider it as an act of shedding light on a diffrent side of yourself.. which had enough impact on the audience... to get a considerable reaction. Thus they are at fault.

Last edited:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm a total economics nerd and a politics junkie. One thing that really gets under my skin is when I make a comment about something related to those two interests and someone acts surprised or expresses some kind of disbelief that I would actually have something intellectual to say. Why does that always seem to happen to me?! UGH! :steam:

I sorta know what you mean. I read a lot and know quite a bit about a few things. But I don't mention it much and dumb myself down a lot so as not to appear like a total wanker. So people tend to think I'm dumb, and when I actually come out with something intelligent by accident, in an unguarded moment like, they stare at me like I've got three heads.

Most of the time, you just don't wanna bore people, do you? And you don't learn what you learn to impress people, so why would you go around talking about it all the time? You just learn for your own curiosity. So yeah, people can be judgemental, especially academic types, they sorta think if you don't live and breathe academics, you must be dumb.

Fuck 'em, that's what I say. I don't need their approval, and I don't need them to think I'm intelligent to know that I am. And in a way, it just makes it all the more satisfying to see their faces when I do just come out with something they didn't expect. Something they didn't see. It's good to see those worldviews spinning on their axes now and again :)

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I had the inverse problem.

People always take me for the quiet, studious type. Then, when I told them to come see my band play, they were thrown for a loop when I'd start doing stage antics and playing guitar solos. Or afterwards when I'd start boisterously playing drinking games etc.

Whenever they said that they never expected me to do that, I'd simply reply with something like, "What? You didn't think I knew how to have fun?":D

Usehername

On a mission
I sorta know what you mean. I read a lot and know quite a bit about a few things. But I don't mention it much and dumb myself down a lot so as not to appear like a total wanker. So people tend to think I'm dumb, and when I actually come out with something intelligent by accident, in an unguarded moment like, they stare at me like I've got three heads.

Most of the time, you just don't wanna bore people, do you? And you don't learn what you learn to impress people, so why would you go around talking about it all the time? You just learn for your own curiosity. So yeah, people can be judgemental, especially academic types, they sorta think if you don't live and breathe academics, you must be dumb.

Fuck 'em, that's what I say. I don't need their approval, and I don't need them to think I'm intelligent to know that I am. And in a way, it just makes it all the more satisfying to see their faces when I do just come out with something they didn't expect. Something they didn't see. It's good to see those worldviews spinning on their axes now and again :)

I'd be pretty ticked off if I had a friend who knew lots of things, but didn't share knowledge with me or correct me. The whole point of some people focusing on "it" is because it's interesting, and though conversations shouldn't dominate around "it" that's what gets some people going.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My mother is great with finances and the legal system. My younger brother is good with numbers and languages. No surprise here... *shrug*

Edit: I also have an ESFP friend who's into video game design and programing.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
One of my close friends is an ESFP, and his problem is the way he delivers his topic of intelligence. He can take a serious, well thought out topic and present it in a very light hearted manner. Does it with a smile on his face and a very non-serious facial expression. Have to admire a carefree attitude, but it's hard to take him seriously as a result.

I could say the exact same thing he says and come across more intelligent because of the way I deliver it. Not sure if this is like all ESFP's, because the ESFP girl I'm hoping to date is not quite the same. I can see how she can come across as a ditzy blonde type to some people. At the same time both these ESFP's I know have a quick wit, good at learning languages, and have incredible memories.

Unique

A lot of SPs fall into the kinesthetic style learning (learn by doing).

"Kinesthetic learning is when someone learns things from doing or being part of them. They make up about 15% of the population and struggle to pick things up by reading/ listening to things."

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I think maybe I downplay my intelligence because I don't want to make people feel stupid. Or I don't want people to think I am showing off.