• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISFP/ISTP relationship

jixmixfix

Permabanned
has anyone experienced this? I have an ISFP friend, we're hilarious at being weird and stupid (typical SP stuff) but can't seem to understand each other fully on a personal level. I tend to make fun of him for being so emotional sometimes but he can't outwit me it's pretty funny. For some reason the two ISFPS I know always think they can get away with irrational behavior, but I always tend to catch them in their tracks and poor cold water.

wolfy

awsm
My best friend in high school was ISTP. He was the more emotional one. We had a lot of good times, hitch hiked around NZ...good times.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I notice , ISFPS/ISTPs put alot of intensity and heart into what they are doing.

wolfy

awsm
I think they do. There are a lot of similarities between the two types in my experience. They're a lot more similar than the type descriptions would have you believe.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think they do. There are a lot of similarities between the two types in my experience. They're a lot more similar than the type descriptions would have you believe.

I think so too, if anything though I think we're actually very similar to one another in terms of behavior yet "distant" from each other.

wolfy

awsm
I think so too, if anything though I think we're actually very similar to one another in terms of behavior yet "distant" from each other.

I'd agree with that. The behaviour and temperament are similar but there is a difference in how we look at things. Make good friends ISTP and ISFP. A Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid type of friendship.

Just for the fun of it!

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I'd agree with that. The behaviour and temperament are similar but there is a difference in how we look at things. Make good friends ISTP and ISFP. A Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid type of friendship.

Just for the fun of it!

hahah so true...damn..

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
My little brother and my boss are both ISTP.

Which is cool because they are of different generations and have totally different occupations and interests, yet the similarities in personality are uncanny.

My brother and I have had our ups and downs, we have really similar senses of humor, so we have had fun together doing not much but quoting tv shows and movies that we love. We occasionally have what could be considered "deep" conversations, but not a whole lot. And when we have conflicts it tends to be in areas where he thinks I get too emotionally involved in something, whereas he remains more detached and aloof.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i have great relationships with ISFPs, some of my very best friends are ISFPs, and my girlfriend is an ISFP.
it seems like my relationships with ISFPs are very easy and natural, and they grow quickly. there is a lot of understanding there, i think. ISFPs feel very familiar, but our diferences are always exciting to me, and i feel that they make the relationship stronger.

i agree that ISTP/ISFPs can really have good times together, everything from crazy silly adventures to deep conversations.
and i agree that we both put a lot of intensity and heart into what we do.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My bf is ISFP. We have a lot in common and like a lot of the same things but have some very different interests as well, which seems healthy to me. It's definitely the most peaceful, conflict-free relationship I've had. I'm lucky in that he isn't very emotional and in fact is very practical and down to earth (it seems like that's common for ISFP guys) and at first I thought he was ISTP. He preferred the ISFP description though and I do think it fits somewhat better.

The only thing that sometimes bothers me is that he is reluctant to say when things are bothering him so I don't know when I'm doing something wrong (he claims it's rare that he's annoyed at me, though I'm not sure I believe him lol).

I don't know any other ISFPs other than on the forum so I can't compare.

markscol

yeah, i would say that the fundamental difference between me and my close ISFP friend (im ISTP) is that i am much more vocal...about EVERYTHING than she is. I think we get on so well because we see things in a very similar light, are very intense yet carefree, but she appreciates my ability to put those thoughts and feelings into words, and i appreciate her ability to be so intense that she expresses it in other ways...

we are a good match in terms of a friendship. We often tell eachother we feel like kindred spirits. I think i repress my "logical" tendencies more when i am around her, but i am so flexible that i am not too bothered...

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a close cousin that's an ISFP... We are very much alike, and family members used to have all sorts of nicknames for us growing up (My least favorite: Flopsy and Mopsy... what the hell is that supposed to mean anyways?!) When we were very young, we were pretty much on an even par, and were partners in crime. Now since I've developed into my ISTPness and her in her ISFPness, and because she's a little younger, I get the sense she looks up to me. She frequently admits she wishes she could brush things off more, and wishes she could look at things more objectively like me... I guess that's why. I'll go visit and discover she bought the same make-up color as me or something of the sort. It's endearing, but it also makes me super protective of her for some reason ... which is uncharacteristic of me, and which she doesn't like so much. She's still an ISP and still likes her independence :p Anyways, whenever I get frustrated people aren't being spontaneous enough with me, she's the one I go to!

I also have a similar relationship with a guy ISFP friend of mine. He's the same age as my younger brother, and our relationship has a sibling feel from it. So we call each other "little bro" and "big sis"

markscol

Yeah, I am a female as well and my female ISFP tells me that she likes my ability to flip things to a positive and live so impulsively. The thing is, she lives very impulsively as well, but i think what she really means is that i don't let the things i view as unimportant or out of my control affect me more than they should, where she is overly emotional... it's kinda cute, actually.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
My ISTP brother married my ISFP best friend. (Weird, right?! Hah.) They do argue sometimes, but they're definitely a good match and at their best when having fun together.

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
Hey, this is my marriage! :blush: My wife is ISTP and we've been married for over 5 years. So it must be pretty good. :yes: I think it helps here that the guy (me) is F and she's T. I feel this works a bit better than the other way around.

Some of the good things are that it's very fun, energetic, low key and friendly, but with lots of activity going on. We accept each other as we are, like each other as people, support one another, and never make outrageous demands. It's marked by honesty, openness, and it's very romantic. There is no game playing (like "guess why I'm mad"), which is just 1000% awesome.

On the other side, long term planning can be a struggle. The household job jar is long and just gets longer. We're not thrifty. We are both kinda restless. Neither one of us can really bring structure or a finished quality to anything, which can be frustrating.

But the good far outweighs the bad and I'd highly recommend any ISFP date an ISTP or vice versa. :D

D

Dali

The person with whom I've had the deepest conversations ever has been an ISTP female. We brought out different sides of each other... we'd just chat and chat for hours.

With my two ISTP brothers, it's different. We don't do much talking; we mostly do stuff together and crack jokes here and there. Nice guys. Admire their fearlessness and 'cockiness'. I sometimes act like a moral compass for one of them as he's a bit clueless about the 'people aspect' of his actions. Generally, we get along great.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
family members used to have all sorts of nicknames for us growing up (My least favorite: Flopsy and Mopsy... what the hell is that supposed to mean anyways?!)

OMG .. Mopsy was my nickname as well, given to me by my older brother! I had a head of hair as thick as a mop.

Maya Z

MBTI Type
ISFP
It looks like Kingfisher already mentioned this, Kingfisher and I are in a very committed relationship (he is ISTP, I am ISFP).
He is not as emotionally obvious as me (I wear my emotions on my sleeve!), but he understands my emotions, sometimes it seems like he understands my emotions better than I do!!
He is very solid and dependable, and he cools me down when I become overly emotional or upset. The quiet intensity he has about his feelings is exhilarating to me, more so than someone who is as emotionally outgoing as me. We understand and balance each other very well!
:wubbie:

The person with whom I've had the deepest conversations ever has been an ISTP female. We brought out different sides of each other... we'd just chat and chat for hours.

Yes! I experience the same thing with Kingfisher, we sometimes have conversations of amazing depth!

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Two girls I hang out with a lot are ISFP and ESTP. Best friends with each other. I guess it would be a similar relationship. They both enjoy doing things, SP style, and especially the outdoors. They're both crazy, in a good way. In an "I'm an ENFP and I'm crazy too, but both you ladies are both totally whacked when together" kinda way.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OMG .. Mopsy was my nickname as well, given to me by my older brother! I had a head of hair as thick as a mop.

Wait... does that mean I was Flopsy? :doh: