• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] How do you prefer to learn new skills?

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
Most SPs like learning stuff. But I'm curious how everyone learns best. Do you like taking group classes? Or do you prefer one-on-one instruction? Would you rather buy a how-to book? Or just mess around with something until you figure it out?

I'm currently taking two very different approaches to two hobbies. I just bought a used Casio keyboard and got a "playing keyboards" book from the library. I'm totally hacking around here ... trying it out. This thing is cheap and horrible in a wonderful way. It has rhythm patterns like Samba and Waltz (Can I mash those two together?), and Special Synth effects like Wa-Wa and Airplane. I could probably have fun without even playing a note. Maybe if I shake it around a bit, it will give up all its secrets. :devil: Either that, or the batteries will fall out. This is how I usually try out stuff I'm not totally serious about.

OTOH, I've signed up for some life drawing classes this summer. I'm motivated to get better, so I want to force myself to get proper feedback and do things right. I absolutely love learning in groups, where we're all just together, quietly doing our thing. :wubbie:

ClarifiedMind

MBTI Type
ISFP
I like to learn hands on. I will scan through the instructions once or twice then try it myself. With the help of you tube I've learned how to do all sorts of stuff.

I really like learning in groups as well. But the only thing is I get distracted sometimes and want to socialize, especially if things start getting dry or too slow. One on one instruction is okay just as long as the teacher isn't long winded and let's me move at my own pace. I remember when I was being trained for a new position the person made me sit there and listen to the bitter end before I could touch anything...it was torture!

I do really like to learn though, especially quirky stuff that other's don't know how to do.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I do my best learning in my underwear.

In reality I like to mess with the object or skill to be used, in real time. This sometimes isn't an option, say an item on order, or recently, my car. As good as I am compared to some drivers, I'm still required to have another person sitting with me to get any practice in (THE HELL?!) So I'm required to use a manual and run a mental simulation of sorts. Which is extremely draining. I'm prone to jumping around in the manual to give myself a break.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Marge, my friend...I haven't learned a thing.

wolfy

awsm
Depends...Sometimes I just mess around with it. Break it and fix it to learn. That's how I learnt to use a computer. I messed around with it until it wouldn't start any more.

Other things I study a lot. That's my approach to work I get paid for, where getting up to speed as fast as possible is important. I study my ass off, keep copious notes, stress whether I'll ever get it and then, click! I never need the notes again, the whole thing becomes second nature.

I like one on one instruction, where someone is teaching me an overall strategy for getting the job done and some techniques. I want to be able to play and change things, so I need a teacher who is willing to have me discuss techniques and different ways of doing the same thing. I can work with someone who teaches in a really rigid way too but I end up jumping ship so I can play around with what I have learnt.

The very best way for me to learn is for me to teach someone else as I learn.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I like to take einstien's advise on learning, "play is the highest form of research". All we really have to do to learn is PLAY. It's no wonder that children can soak up so much info.

Fading Dead Star

MBTI Type
ISFP
I've been trying to learn electric guitar for two years but I'm nowhere near as good as I should be. I haven't taken any classes, I've just been looking up tabs. I'm easily frustrated and so when I fail I tend to put the guitar down. It just isn't worth the stress.

I feel sometimes that taking classes could put some structure into the learning and I would learn quicker, but this is expensive, and I have to learn to introduce structure in my own life. At the same time I'm afraid of becoming someone I'm not. ARRRGH!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
for simple things, watch it being done once, then try it with assistance/corrections available if necessary.

for other things, look up how to do it (usually online) and then play around using that as the base. like if I want to cook something, I'll look at several recipes and usually end up with a blend of several depending what I think sounds good. I'm not very motivated to learn skills in-depth though, I tend to lose interest very quickly (for a while at least).

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I work best with group learning... with spurts of self-teaching by myself.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you like taking group classes?

Not especially. I'm quite willing to learn this way, but it's my least favorite.

Or do you prefer one-on-one instruction?

Yes, definitely. If it's the kind of thing you do with people.

Would you rather buy a how-to book?

If it's a subject I'm really excited about, maybe. Otherwise, probably not.
Or just mess around with something until you figure it out?

Only if it's not important and I can afford to screw it up. But in such cases, yes. I learned about computers, video gaming systems, DVD players, VCRs, and telecom devices this way (along with random research along the way), by experimenting on the ones I owned. Mostly when I was really bored, had a lot of energy, no good ideas, and nothing new to read.

EDIT: Sorry, everyone. I didn't see the SP label. Disregard this post.

First time this has happened outside the NT Rationale.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

we can still read your post. oh wait, there are lines through the words!??!
it is like the words are there, but some ingenious device makes them unreadale!! devious! ;)

but seriously, we are happy to have your input, athenian. :)
we are not SP exlcusive.

i realy dislike group classes. especially when the students are inequally matched in skill, and you have to wait around for someone.
one on one instruction is the best for me, but only if it is hands-on. that is why i never buy how-to books, because it is not hands-on.
i have to see it being done, and practice doing it myself. your explanations mean nothing to me. nothing!
although i will buy books if it is something i am really excited about, like athenian said. but then i am not buying it to learn how to do it, only to learn about the thing. the history, the applications, etc.

how does that work, for you? what is that like?
because that is something i could never relate to. i am only comfortable teaching something if i feel i have an extremely solid understanding of it. and when i am teaching i am totally focused on the student's understanding, so i usually don't think about how the subject applies to me. unless i am giving a personal example, and then like i said, it has to be something i already feel knowledgable about.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Wait, you know what, I can relate to that a lot actually. Come to think of it, the subjects I tended to do better at uni were the ones I took some interest in and started tutoring my friends. It's the back and forth and the fact others can come up with pertinent questions that put things into perspective.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
we can still read your post. oh wait, there are lines through the words!??!
it is like the words are there, but some ingenious device makes them unreadale!! devious! ;)

Hehe. If you thought that was devious, you haven't seen me do this. ;) Or this, especially near the end of a post.

but seriously, we are happy to have your input, athenian. :)
we are not SP exlcusive.

Thanks. :) Always nice to hear that. Sometimes they ask really good questions in other temperament subforums.
i realy dislike group classes. especially when the students are inequally matched in skill, and you have to wait around for someone.

Oh, don't remind me. School was often frustrating because they'd sit and dwell on one portion of the material long after I'd gotten it, and then rush through something I was struggling to understand. This really only hurt my grades in math, though it annoyed me in many other classes.
one on one instruction is the best for me, but only if it is hands-on. that is why i never buy how-to books, because it is not hands-on.
i have to see it being done, and practice doing it myself. your explanations mean nothing to me. nothing!
although i will buy books if it is something i am really excited about, like athenian said. but then i am not buying it to learn how to do it, only to learn about the thing. the history, the applications, etc.

I suppose I agree. The difference, I think, is that spend more time thinking about how a thing is (which is what I buy books to learn), than how to do it . I actually have very few practical skills simply because I'm not comfortable engaging the processes I'd need to learn them in situations where there are consequences for failure. So I end up only learning practical skills that can be developed in a "sandbox," so to speak.

Ironically, I actually do have many useless and esoteric practical skills that I've developed in situations where there weren't any consequences for failure. For instance, I know how to make a television function as a low-resolution computer monitor, and how to physically modify a telecom device or circuit to do something it wasn't intended to. An empty mechanical pencil is perfect to pick dirt out of my fingernails if I've got nothing else, and I can use the handle of a spoon or fork as a simpler knife if I don't have a real one available.

The limitation of mine, though, is that most of them are related to mechanical processes. I have almost no practical skills related to anything else. Also, I only seem to be able to use these hands-on developed skills when no one expects me to. If I'm expected to, it becomes about 20x more difficult.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
So I end up only learning practical skills that can be developed in a "sandbox," so to speak.

well that is not bad. you definitely have more control in that kind of enviroment. if you are comfortable learning that way, go for it.
i tend to learn very well from seeing mistakes and having things go wrong, and then being forced to fix them. the drawback to that is sometimes you learn to be more reactionary rather than anticipatory.

The limitation of mine, though, is that most of them are related to mechanical processes. I have almost no practical skills related to anything else.

just look at it as a strength rather than a limitation. you are good with mechanical devices.
i think everyone has their strengths, practical knowlede, theoretical knowledge, etc. mine is physical knowedge, i really know my own strengths and limitations, and know how to apply my physicality. i now how to do things physically.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
well that is not bad. you definitely have more control in that kind of enviroment. if you are comfortable learning that way, go for it.
i tend to learn very well from seeing mistakes and having things go wrong, and then being forced to fix them. the drawback to that is sometimes you learn to be more reactionary rather than anticipatory.

Oh, you definitely learn that way. :yes: It's just that I always think "what if I can't fix it? I might fail, ruin everything, and not get another chance." I actually call that "learning the hard way."

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
Thanks, everyone. Got some really good replies here. :)

Well, in life drawing, we're halfway there. The model's already nude. I'd just have to make a convincing argument I should be drawing naked as well. This would give "I absolutely love learning in groups, where we're all just together, quietly doing our thing. :wubbie: " a whole new meaning. :D

So I'm required to use a manual and run a mental simulation of sorts. Which is extremely draining. I'm prone to jumping around in the manual to give myself a break.

:yes: I like to be able to see what's being done and do it myself. Sometimes I just can't understand from the manual description and it's not the way I learn. It's dry and I zone out. It's sometimes good once I have a basic understanding to bring out the "oh, I had no idea there were two settings for that" details.

Teaching someone makes me realize what I really know stone cold and what I'm just sliding my way through. So I wind up learning too. I have to mentor some new employees at work now and it's been a very helpful process for me too. :yes:

I've been trying to learn electric guitar for two years but I'm nowhere near as good as I should be. I haven't taken any classes, I've just been looking up tabs. I'm easily frustrated and so when I fail I tend to put the guitar down. It just isn't worth the stress.

I feel sometimes that taking classes could put some structure into the learning and I would learn quicker, but this is expensive, and I have to learn to introduce structure in my own life. At the same time I'm afraid of becoming someone I'm not. ARRRGH!

I used to think the same way, but I've found I make better progress if I have some type of expert around. Even if it's just a friend to sit with you. It's easier for someone to pick out mistakes in timing or technique you might not be aware of. If you can't find a friend, try setting up a video camera of yourself playing.

First time this has happened outside the NT Rationale.

No worries. It's a subject of interest to SPs, but not just for us. Glad to have some outside viewpoints. :) You actually sound like a very handy guy.

I also find it's annoying to be in classes where I have to sit around and wait for everyone to catch up. But the reverse is true. If everyone else is ahead of me, it's very unsettling. I tend to be a quick study, but I feel very self-conscious when I know I'm behind. I like to feel competent, and it's a little stressful when I'm not, even if it's understandable. :cry: Does anyone else feel that way?

Good how-to books tend to be ones with detailed instructions and lots of pictures. Lately, there are more instructional DVDs and computer programs and I've heard some of those are very good! Expensive, though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just for comparison sake, I:

1. Get a general overview of what I'm doing and where I'm going, to get started.
2. Leap right in and figure things out as I go, by doing simultaneously with researching/referencing as I go forward.

Sometimes I'll go into research mode, once I know what things I have to learn, and just practice learning those bits more intensively and maybe even branching out to study other things momentarily (as part of getting caught up in info-lust), then go back and start doing again.

But it's really immersion learning with knowledge-snippet and overview support.