• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP's: intensive?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Would intensity be a best way to describe it when ISTP's focus their attention to something/somebody?
Would it be a good way to describe the way they look at things?

More thoughts on this...

I think it only comes off as an intense experience for other people. From my perspective, the feeling is more like cold fire in the soul, it is wild and undominatable. when i focus on something, there is nothing that would surprise me and my prey has no escape. the attitude is undisplacable, but also unpredictible... and ultimately my default state, so i personally wouldnt describe it as intense at all.

i have never been "hunted" so how this appears to other people I couldn't say... intense might definitely be the word to describe it, though.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Intense? Maybe. Attentive - sure.

Attention involves three components:

- Bringing the subject to mind
- Extracting from the subject
- Awareness

In ISTPs, attention would be:
- Looking around and seeing the object, then consciously bringing it to mind.
- Extracting: observing and watching.
- paying attention to the process, all in real time.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Oh, and I like this quote from William James who wrote at length about attention (and many other topics in psychology).

"There is unquestionably a great native variety among individuals in the type of their attention. Some of us are naturally scatter-brained, and others follow easily a train of connected thoughts without temptation to swerve aside to other subjects. This seems to depend on a difference between individuals in the type of their field of consciousness. In some persons this is highly focalized and concentrated, and the focal ideas predominate in determining association. In others we must suppose the margin to be brighter, and to be filled with something like meteoric showers of images, which strike into it at random, displacing the focal ideas, and carrying association in their own direction. Persons of the latter type find their attention wandering every minute, and must bring it back by a voluntary pull. The others sink into a subject of meditation deeply, and, when interrupted, are 'lost' for a moment before they come back to the outer world."

Read full chapter here.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Naked Twister, bringin' peeplez togevah.

Personally, I'd be interested to see what an ISTP "looks" like when plagued by a nemesis. As much as I have thrived on having arch-nemeses myself, it would stand to reason that T primaries would benefit from such uncontrollable forces.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Naked Twister, bringin' peeplez togevah.

Personally, I'd be interested to see what an ISTP "looks" like when plagued by a nemesis. As much as I have thrived on having arch-nemeses myself, it would stand to reason that T primaries would benefit from such uncontrollable forces.

I think I had a nemesis once. Or rather, I was her nemesis for some reason. :dry:....

....Okay fine. :rolli: I know why, but I don't feel all that responsible. -Coincidentally- I dated two of her ex's in a row in high school. I recognized the coincidence, but it was not intentional, therefore I didn't really think much of it. We just happened to have the same taste :newwink:. She would try to stir me up but I'd avoid any and all confrontations with her because I doubted any good could come from it. Her harassment was highly annoying. But that was just one of many situations that made me become so good at avoiding things :D

Anyways, I think ISTPs have some major self control in that aspect. When I -know- people are trying to get some kind of negative reaction from me, I will dig my heels in and absolutely refuse to give them what they want. It's like an immediate instinct to resist.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Anyways, I think ISTPs have some major self control in that aspect. When I -know- people are trying to get some kind of negative reaction from me, I will dig my heels in and absolutely refuse to give them what they want. It's like an immediate instinct to resist.

That sounds definitely ISTPish. I have a saying that ISTP's swim to upstream sometimes when other fish swim to downstream. ;) (Opinion and behavior at times) I mean they aren't there to support the public opinion if they don't agree. They won't even pretend they agree. They stand behind their opinion and don't care if the rest of the people think something else. I admire that "feature" but am myself not capable of doing it. ;)
Don't know if that is the correct way to write that in English, but if you understand what I mean by that.

phoenity

That sounds definitely ISTPish. I have a saying that ISTP's swim to upstream sometimes when other fish swim to downstream. ;) (Opinion and behavior at times) I mean they aren't there to support the public opinion if they don't agree. They won't even pretend they agree. They stand behind their opinion and don't care if the rest of the people think something else. I admire that "feature" but am myself not capable of doing it. ;)
Don't know if that is the correct way to write that in English, but if you understand what I mean by that.

Why not?

I think your English is fine by the way. I perfectly understand what you mean everytime.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I can agree with that... but I've become a little more balanced about it, depending on who I'm arguing with. With NFs for example, I know they need to feel like they're being heard. So I'll tell them what I think as diplomatically as I can (when asked.. I don't usually volunteer my opinion until asked, unless I feel very strongly about it), and be careful to pick out points that I do agree with and why... and state again why it differs from my opinion. But no, I do not need people to agree with me and am perfectly fine with someone having another opinion. People are allowed to believe whatever they want, and I'm not going to force my opinion on them. Again... because I wouldn't want someone to do that to me. I think this quote from ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing about sums it up:

The motto, "Don't tread on me," could easily be of ISTP origin. It reflects that type in many ways. It could mean "Don't tread on me because I don't know how I'll react," or "Don't do it because I wouldn't think of doing it to you," or "Don't do it because it is a waste of time and energy."

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Why not?
[/SIZE]

First of all I don't like to argue because I see no point in arguing. I have noticed that me saying my opinion does not change anything and thus is pointless. People aren't usually willing to change their opinions or even to agree with anything and I want to agree on something. If me saying my opion doesn't lead to anywhere I wont say it. I just can't unless it's something extremely important and involves one of the most important values to me. And there is only few such values that I fight for.

I can agree with that... but I've become a little more balanced about it, depending on who I'm arguing with. With NFs for example, I know they need to feel like they're being heard. So I'll tell them what I think as diplomatically as I can (when asked.. I don't usually volunteer my opinion until asked, unless I feel very strongly about it), and be careful to pick out points that I do agree with and why... and state again why it differs from my opinion. But no, I do not need people to agree with me and am perfectly fine with someone having another opinion. People are allowed to believe whatever they want, and I'm not going to force my opinion on them. Again... because I wouldn't want someone to do that to me. I think this quote from ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing about sums it up:

Sounds good, the balancing thing. I think every personality type needs balancing, not just ISTP's. ;)

I think the need for agreeing is in me, that is why I see ISTP's as swimming the other way than the rest of the people. I'm definitely the one who swims with the others even if I don't totally agree.

phoenity

First of all I don't like to argue because I see no point in arguing. I have noticed that me saying my opinion does not change anything and thus is pointless. People aren't usually willing to change their opinions or even to agree with anything and I want to agree on something. If me saying my opion doesn't lead to anywhere I wont say it. I just can't unless it's something extremely important and involves one of the most important values to me. And there is only few such values that I fight for.

Sounds good, the balancing thing. I think every personality type needs balancing, not just ISTP's. ;)

I think the need for agreeing is in me, that is why I see ISTP's as swimming the other way than the rest of the people. I'm definitely the one who swims with the others even if I don't totally agree.

I don't care to argue with anyone. I will present my opinion if requested, and respectfully listen and attempt to perceive and understand theirs. I like looking at an idea from as many points of view as possible. Opinions are difficult to change, especially when they concern very subjective things like spiritual beliefs. So I enjoy the sharing of opinions and views, but arguing, as in defending your opinion, or trying to change another's opinion, is pointless.

However, I don't cherish my opinions and create separation between myself and others, because at the core my opinions don't mean a lot to me. If someone has a different opinion, I don't attach that opinion, that thing, to the essence of who they are, which is exactly the same as me.

Thus, I will swim with all the other fish and play happily acknowledging and appreciating that we are all slightly different while still mostly the same. Unless, of course, I have something better to do and no practical reason obligating me to be part of that group :D

What I thought you meant was being part of the group for the sake of being part of a group, even if the group's shared value firmly conflicted with one of your core values.

An example would be if I were in Nazi Germany and required to war against another group of people for a belief that I could not objectively reason into myself. I would have to find a way out of that situation.

One of the only things I truly value is life and liberty, freedom and independence, for myself and all others. I think this is the same as the "Don't tread on me" quote Steph posted above.