• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Cut off the rope? SP only

Do you cut off the rope? SPs only please

• Cut off the rope

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Stay on the rope

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
SPs only please. there is one like this in your section too

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you gotta stay on the mountain, so does everyone else.

whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you gotta stay on the mountain, so does everyone else.

Would it be possible for a few of us to get off the ladder, wait until the others get into the helicopter, and then have them lower the ladder again and the rest of us could climb up?

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Would it be possible for a few of us to get off the ladder, wait until the others get into the helicopter, and then have them lower the ladder again and the rest of us could climb up?

Either this^, or let me take one of em down with me so I have something to eat until they're able to come back for me.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
What supplies do I have?
What's my chance of survival?

supplies are you regular everyday climbing gear suitable for mt. everest

only thing is, if you get left behind you would die else there would be no need of rescue in the first place

the chopper cant hover for too long (bad weather)

thats why all you of are getting on it at once

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

You said the ladder couldn't hold five people, not the helicopter. Three people go up the ladder, then two people go up the ladder. Riddle is solved, and no one dies, although I am still hungry.

(you edited, bad form)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't be on that mountain in the first place.
A stupid endeavor to partake in as far as I'm concerned.
Palm trees, beach, Tiki bar, and total safety...ahhhhhh....

:happy:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think this thread is going to confirm my suspicion that SPs have no real morals.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Point Uno> I would never be as stupid as being the last survivor to climb the rope having understood the situation clearly.

Point Dos> I would do anything in my power to get on the chopper. My Personal survival is more important then any other character i meet.. no matter who they are or what kind of situation they are in. The only time i would do such a drastic thing as sacrificing myself.. is when i'd do it for family or for the greater good. Which does not apply to this case. I would rather let some moron sacrifice himself in pointless altruism. After all.. everyones survival of entity is their first prioritat, by nature and reason. It might sound selfish or straight out unscrouplous and assholic, but that kind of situation, does not support any moral mumbo-jumbo. Survival in a harsh enviroment is yer chief-concern.

Point Tres> Imo anything that would require a forced helicopter rescue is a badly planned, and in reality any cautious invidual would never go on such a reckless endeavour without good reason.. SP or not. And this is a besides the question.

So to conclude.. survival is a moral bitch.. you can either do it the hard way or lose. And everyones duty as a concious invidual is to avoid the former.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
the chopper cant hover for too long (bad weather)

I'm not really seeing how that would be very probable.... if the first group moved at a remotely decent speed why on earth wouldn't there be time for a second group to climb as well?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I'm not really seeing how that would be very probable.... if the first group moved at a remotely decent speed why on earth wouldn't there be time for a second group to climb as well?
My thoughts exactly. The helicopter wouldn't have to leave, it would just maintain as we take turns. I don't see the problem here.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
My ISTP bruthas.. i think you guys are getting too caught up in precision of technicalities (this the natural problem-solving approach).

To shorten the question for effectiveness> Would you guy's choose to sacrifice yourselves to save the fellow climber's knowing that chance of your own initial rescue to be slim or would you be the moral villain and let none of your climbing party go due to having lost your chance?.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

This is a trick question meant to answer some kind of agenda.

More importantly, what I want to know, is why the rescue team didn't inspect their equipment. Something so basic on a rescue mission is overlooked by a trained crew.

I really doubt it, let alone in this kind of situation.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
This is a trick question meant to answer some kind of agenda.

More importantly, what I want to know, is why the rescue team didn't inspect their equipment. Something so basic on a rescue mission is overlooked by a trained crew.

I really doubt it, let alone in this kind of situation.

wanna know how people think

at what point do you make the choice to die to save four people? how much more detail do you need till you are comfortable enough to take your own life

out of all the things that could happen, the new helper guy who packs the emergency equipment loaded the wrong rescue kit...blame whoever you want...shit happens. shit happened...your neck deep in it

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
wanna know how people think

at what point do you make the choice to die to save four people? how much more detail do you need till you are comfortable enough to take your own life

out of all the things that could happen, the new helper guy who packs the emergency equipment loaded the wrong rescue kit...blame whoever you want...shit happens. shit happened...your neck deep in it
Okie the dokie. I pray to the God Zeus to grant me atonement for my sins in exchange for the smiting of an ENTP. He glady accepts. I then pray to him a second time to strike said ENTP (that'd be you) with a dazzling thunderbolt of dazzlement.

How dazzling!

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Okie the dokie. I pray to the God Zeus to grant me atonement for my sins in exchange for the smiting of an ENTP. He glady accepts. I then pray to him a second time to strike said ENTP (that'd be you) with a dazzling thunderbolt of dazzlement.

How dazzling!

but your still hanging from a chopper in a moral dilemma

ps: promise me my obituary would read EXACTLY like that

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
but your still hanging from a chopper in a moral dilemma

ps: promise me my obituary would read EXACTLY like that
Tune in next week, same time, same channel for the exciting conclusion. But wait, there's more! Stay tuned for this week's sponsor, the Veg-o-Matic 3000 from RONCO! It slices, it dices, chops and cuts, julienne potatoes for mouth perfect french fries!

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
haha, wow, i am amused at all the clarifying questions! :D

i don't think anyone can answer hypothetical questons like this meaningfully.
the situation dictates your actions, and i don't think people appreciate the situation or realize the gravity of their own mortality until they are actually facing it. hypothetical questions like this don't face mortality or the realities of a dire situation. question like this mean almost nothing to me.

several of you are incredulous that this kind of situation would occur, or that it would be so poorly planned/executed. "i would have been prepared, the rescuers were unprepared, etc." sometimes this shit happens. just because it shouldn't theoretically happen doesn't mean that it doesn't happen all the time. crazy shit happens daily.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
haha, wow, i am amused at all the clarifying questions! :D

i don't think anyone can answer hypothetical questons like this meaningfully.
the situation dictates your actions, and i don't think people appreciate the situation or realize the gravity of their own mortality until they are actually facing it. hypothetical questions like this don't face mortality or the realities of a dire situation. question like this mean almost nothing to me.

several of you are incredulous that this kind of situation would occur, or that it would be so poorly planned/executed. "i would have been prepared, the rescuers were unprepared, etc." sometimes this shit happens. just because it shouldn't theoretically happen doesn't mean that it doesn't happen all the time. crazy shit happens daily.
Sure it does, but that's not the point. The point is this guy is using it to make a trick question - which means it falls apart.

It wouldn't be too hard to have just asked the original question directly - save your hide or let others suffer in misery with you.