• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Mum, Where does an SP's sense of humour come from?

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Here I thought I'd be reading something funny.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Jeffster's Ni hate is funny, I hate Te more than Ni.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
And the shadowy Si that crept in in it's place has made you less of an SP, whether you realize it or not. ;)

You pay a price for banishing Ni... mediocrity. Utter mediocrity.

To any SPs that dislike Ni:

I know what you're going through, believe it or not. It was hard for me to admit that I needed Se in my life at first, too. I saw it as useless, a weakness. Because it's pretty much everything I'm not, consciously. Eventually, I realized I was basically limiting my potential and binding myself by not having my mind open to it. In a sense, I was starving myself of fuel.

Why? Because Ni and Se FEED each other. One will stagnate and be quite limited without the other. You don't have to believe me. If you're content without it, you probably haven't reached the critical point yet. But if you don't stop pushing it away, you're eventually going to start feeling it. I can guarantee you that.

Ni is not reality. Se is not reality. But together, I think they're a lot closer to reality than they are alone. If you want to live in a fantasy world where nothing is going on under the surface, there are no archetypes, hidden meanings or alternate views, and everything is always exactly what it appears to be, go right ahead and reject Ni. But that's all it will be... a fantasy world. You know, the thing you probably hated so much that it made you reject Ni in the first place? Rejecting Ni only traps you inside an impoverished version of it.

When you recognize that for yourself, I have a feeling you'll embrace it. ;) One suggestion I'd give you, is to meditate on Chinese handcuffs. What happens when you struggle to free yourself from them? What is the real solution? How might this situation be similar to your struggle with Ni?

/bored metacognitive musing

Yes, I know you don't really want to take the time to read that.

Nah. You've got it backwards. I have developed by getting rid of assumptive and paranoid stuff, and it has not made me "less of an SP." If anything, the opposite is true, because I am more content to enjoy living in the moments I have than ever before. The "Si" is not shadowy at all. It's part of the contentment. I have learned to stop beating myself up over past mistakes and learn to laugh at the stories of my past and use them to help entertain in the present.

So, your assumptions are incorrect. And that's another difference between us - I don't make those kind of assumptions about other people's brains. I don't assume I know how someone's brain is supposed to develop. I am content with not knowing that information, and feel no need to make something up (or follow along with something that someone else made up) to fill that void. The whole function thing can be used as a label to describe certain behaviors, but using it as a premise for presuming to know what is inside someone (or what should be) is a useless exercise. I can't stop you from doing it of course, but you have posted on here several times about confusion you've had about several issues, and my speculation (not assumption) is that this sort of "musing" in circles about function stuff is part of the source of that confusion.

Of course "Se" is not reality. "Se" is a label for a perception method. Reality is there whether any of us choose to perceive it or not. :)

Thanks for the amateur psychological diagnosis, though. I am afraid I'm going to have to fire you, however. Good thing this session was a free trial. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
How would you further describe Ni (if it were to appear in yourself)? Just curious.

When I was younger, I used to be paranoid about people talking about me when I wasn't there. I also used to think the outcomes of sporting events on tv could be affected by what I did that day or what I was wearing while watching the game. I dunno whether those qualify or not. I'm tired of thinking about speculative mumbo jumbo. I'd rather think of myself as a whole person than as abstract parts.

I'm in love with my Te. I love all my top four functions.

FUNCTION SLUT!!

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
How would you further describe Ni (if it were to appear in yourself)? Just curious.

Sometimes I have visions of things that can't be seen. Flows of energy, molecular interactions (I'm a chemist), my internal energy (or lack thereof), my soul. I also will sometimes act intuitively on something with very little thought, because I've experienced it enough to inwardly know the "symptoms" before the effect is apparent.

I don't know if this stuff is from Ni or not, but I would guess that it is.

wolfy

awsm
When I was younger, I used to be paranoid about people talking about me when I wasn't there. I also used to think the outcomes of sporting events on tv could be affected by what I did that day or what I was wearing while watching the game. I dunno whether those qualify or not. I'm tired of thinking about speculative mumbo jumbo. I'd rather think of myself as a whole person than as abstract parts.

FUNCTION SLUT!!

I know, I'm terrible. My favourite is a Fi/Te threesome.
I don't think of the functions by themselves, it's how they work together. I just treat them as metaphors for aspects of real cognitive processes. Not as real things in themselves.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes I have visions of things that can't be seen. Flows of energy, molecular interactions (I'm a chemist), my internal energy (or lack thereof), my soul. I also will sometimes act intuitively on something with very little thought, because I've experienced it enough to inwardly know the "symptoms" before the effect is apparent.

Yes. :yes: I think it is. Sounds somewhat like how I normally perceive reality.

wolfy

awsm

That's cool. I sometimes have these visions where I enter the muscle of the person I'm coaching and I can see how it is moving.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
When I was younger, I used to be paranoid about people talking about me when I wasn't there. I also used to think the outcomes of sporting events on tv could be affected by what I did that day or what I was wearing while watching the game.

Haha I still believe that! I have to watch sport live so I can yell at the screen and affect the result in my favour. :D I'll just say that immature/undeveloped versions of all of the processes aren't very pretty.

I dunno whether those qualify or not. I'm tired of thinking about speculative mumbo jumbo. I'd rather think of myself as a whole person than as abstract parts.

Fair enough.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I used to be like that when I was younger too, though replace the sporting events with various forms of doom being averted (like the death of various family members or myself). Sometimes I even thought I heard voices telling me "Do X before [time], or Y will happen." Frighteningly, it was correct that X was the best course of action often enough to keep me from completely ignoring it. Most often "Y" was "you will die," "your soul will be devoured," "they'll turn into zombies," or "they will all die and you'll be alone." It was far more likely to be correct the few times "Y" was something more specific or likely.

Eventually, I realized it was just a part of myself, and I could channel it's energy, look at the origin, get a feel for the validity of what was being said. After this happened, the voices stopped, and my sense of reality stabilized within a clearer Ni framework and baseline. I realized that I was simply delving beyond the surface of whatever I saw, and thus seeing and using parts of perceptions that weren't normally used.

You're right about the assumptions, though. For all I know, I might be an ISFJ or an INFP. You might be an ENTJ. Who really knows? You're right, you may not need Ni at all. But all functions represent a part of self that some people ignore to their own detriment...