• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP- The most misunderstood?

sculpting

I tried to flirt with an ISFP once at work. After six months we would actually smile and nod at each other in the hallways. We still do this and sometimes he checks out my legs.

I just gave up after awhile. He seems very nice but we seem to be living in parellel universes. He plays in a band and seems really cool but it's like wires that never really cross. We just dont have much to talk about, and he never talks much anyways.

wolfy

awsm
what kinds of steps do you really appreciate people taking to try and get to know you? I know ISFP tend to really like privacy as well, so what is a good balance? Actions? Words? ISFP tend to show affection through actions, but is this always reciprocal? Do genuine words have a good effect on the ISFP?

I think taking an interest in my interests would work. I don't want to be analysed or drawn out. I'm quite reserved and dislike to talk about myself.
Genuine words do have an affect on me. I appreciate physical affection and people who know my likes and dislikes. It's not important that you like the same things, just that you know. That really shows you care.
Unless I ask, I don't need your help, I don't want to be taught anything, I don't want to talk about anything, just being aware of me and sharing experiences is enough.

That's what's most important at the end of the day. People sharing an experience with me. Or people who know what experiences I like and help facilitate them. It's the experience, the other stuff is just a tool.

That's what I like to do for others and that's what I like from them.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Not to sound like a self-important ass, but I've always considered myself to be extremely misunderstood in the worst way possible. For example, I say I want to do something, and my intention is pure, but people distort it as if my intention is evil. I can't give an exact example (damn my inferior Se!), but it happens to me all the time.

I know a few ISFPs, and I think I can understand them pretty well, but I think I have a harder time reading their emotions. I've always had a good sense of what somebody's feeling at the moment, but I've found that ISFPs are particularly hard to read what's inside from the outside.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say the most misunderstood type is INTJ.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
ISFP -- most misunderstood or poorest communicators?

stop blaming me.

ster

ISFP -- most misunderstood or poorest communicators?

stop blaming me.

Hmm.. no, when I don't communicate it's because I don't need to. But when I try to explain myself to some people, even people that I consider myself close to, I find myself judged or misunderstood. It causes me to just give up trying, and turn to introspection of an emotional sort to figure it out.

Maybe there are other MBTI personalities that are more misunderstood than ISFP, but the ISFP probably feel it the most. Our emotions are mean.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
sigh...
entp, the most misunderstood jokester

anyway, you're absolutely right about ISFP feeling the most misunderstood.
you guys really are rough on yourselves. on the other hand, if you weren't, you wouldn't force yourselves to be so nice so i like it.

hommefatal

Oh yeah, when around EJs I often act ISFP or INTP-like. I say "What did you say?" or "I don't care, it's boring.".
I mean I don't feel like replying to ridiculous questions, especially around people I can't stand.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I spent a large part of my life with an ISFP male, almost married him, still friends...and I definitely agree that ISFP - or he, at least - shares that sort of INFP emotional "torture."

He also thinks that there are very few people like him - probably true - and that gels with the idea of being strange or misunderstood. In fact, I think he is misunderstood because although he can talk a lot, especially about stuff he's "into," I don't think he can articulate things well to certain people, especially when he has strong feelings. People tend to get the wrong idea about him unless they know him well. Even people who know him well can be upset by him because he'll react emotionally and not explain.

He can be very giving and affectionate, and also be the most hateful, alienating monster in the world depending on his mood. Is this an ISFP thing, or....?

I also agree with the simple needs and wants but EXTREMELY COMPLEX emotions.

wolfy

awsm
He can be very giving and affectionate, and also be the most hateful, alienating monster in the world depending on his mood. Is this an ISFP thing, or....?

I also agree with the simple needs and wants but EXTREMELY COMPLEX emotions.

I can be really nice or a real asshole. I'm not that complex.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Definitely not. I'm NEVER a monster. NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
About being verbal; I dunno about that. I find myself getting tongue tied and jumbling up my words constantly. Of course, that could just stem from the fact that I usually don't talk confidently unless I was truly comfortable around you. Kinda like what Quinlan said, actually. :)

For me, I get tongue-tied whenever I feel insecure or at times, when talking excitedly. People say that I have a very low voice..even when he/she is inches away from me..sounds like mumbling.

B

brainheart

Maybe I wouldn't be so misunderstood if I wasn't always changing my mind...

And yes, I never feel like I express things correctly, or I get weird looks or pauses after I've said something and I take it as judgment, and then I think, 'No, I said that wrong. They don't get it. Why can't I say that in a way that they'll understand?" And I get flustered and I feel stupid and it kind of keeps me from talking in the future... for awhile, anyway. At least until I forget about it. And then it happens again.