• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Optimism

frozen-ozzie

MBTI Type
ISTP
I find that I'm very much not an optimist at all, actually. I find that looking forward to things in a positive light generally leads to the grand anti-climactic disappointment at the end.

On the other end of the stick, I find cynicism to be just as counter-productive, since I find it difficult to get myself up and moving to do anything if I look at it all with a negative end in sight.

I approach things with a realistic end in sight. I consider the most probable outcomes, and if I have control over the result, aim for the one that would please me the most. If I don't have control, I prepare for them all, having escape plans from the negative ones at the ready. I'll often spend a lot of time and energy thinking all this through, too. Or even finding scenarios, both likely and unlikely, then finding their possible outcomes. (this usually ends up being worst case, too. I like to be prepared...) I find that this way, I'm occasionally surprised and in a better mood at the end of the day than I expect, and very rarely let down. It also makes surprises that much sweeter (but the disappointments that much worse, because I can only think "Why couldn't you do it? It was an absolutely realistic request, and you screwed it up.").

If that even makes sense. :shrug:

CoyBoomer

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I think it is better to live in the now. That way I get things done :p

MorningCoffee

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think i am. I have exam in Monday and i'm starting to study right now, and still believe i will make it good even there are so many pages i didn't even look at and even i find it very boring :D

Just to add that i decided to do exam in next term and i'm still optimistic... i don't even worry because it is last term and if i don't pass it i won't pass year.

Last edited:

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm usually optimistic, but what I've really been wondering is how true the "SJ pessimism", which was also mentioned by Keirsey, holds.

KDude

I'm usually optimistic, but what I've really been wondering is how true the "SJ pessimism", which was also mentioned by Keirsey, holds.

I didn't know he said that. Did he give his reasoning?

Last time I saw this thread, I was typed ISFP.

But I am still a pessimist.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think this is most apparent in the STJ's. A product of their inferior or tertiary Ne giving them all the possibilities. Their need for having closure leads them to examine the possibilities as negatives because those negatives may interfere with the closure or accomplishment of whatever task the STJ needs to complete. Also, Si plays into prior experience. Those that were negative won't be repeated but will be learned from. Causing even more healthy skepticism.

KDude

I think this is most apparent in the STJ's. A product of their inferior or tertiary Ne giving them all the possibilities. Their need for having closure leads them to examine the possibilities as negatives because those negatives may interfere with the closure or accomplishment of whatever task the STJ needs to complete. Also, Si plays into prior experience. Those that were negative won't be repeated but will be learned from. Causing even more healthy skepticism.

I think my dad is like that. I think I have to keep him grounded if the possibilities spin a bit too much. He can't even relax if simple commuting plans go awry. I have a good ESTJ friend like that too. He's well prepared, but if things go wrong, he gets really irritable. I guess I play the part of the navigator in those cases. I'm optimistic enough to sit back and laugh at some of it, I guess.

As I said though, I'm still pessimistic in my own way. I don't create a bunch of possibilities. I just think that shit happens/has happened. I'm not one to get all enthused and spread my contagious zest for life, and how everything is great... or something. Ugh.