• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP description for hiddenpsyche

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
How well does the following describe the ISTPs here? I wrote it thinking of the ISTPs I know and one of them agreed with it so far, but I need more feedback. Anything you would add, omit or change?

"ISTPs are masterful at emotionlessly analyzing complex systems and introducing change to improve productivity and efficiency. The ISTP relies on first-hand experience when forming opinions and solutions and excel when they are in situations that are physically and mentally demanding, especially when the situations are of interest to them. For this reason, they can be closet "daredevils" who involve themselves with fast-moving and/or risky activities, recreational sports and careers. ISTPs are very balanced in movement and emotion, easily adapting to any environment, which makes them excellent in a crisis situations. They are normally optimistic (without being sappy) and let few things scare them. ISTPs are full of good cheer, loyal to their equals, uncomplicated in their desires, generous, trusting and receptive people who want no part in confining commitments. They rarely show weakness or allow petty feelings control their thought processes. They don’t need compliments or affirmation from others to be fulfilled - in fact, they are slightly disgusted when people need that kind of emotional crutch."

Last edited:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Grrr.... Well, it worked for me so far :p

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
It's good, hence my other I.D. Functianalyst (Funtional Analyst) on the ENTP forum. At some point the enthusiasts will provide more informaiton on the non-technical ISTP, as alluded to by Myers-Briggs in her book 'Gifts Differering".

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
You'll want to consult verified ISTPs (i.e., peek into a store's repair room), but from my experience with them: all, regardless of intelligence, have shown a discomfort with figurative language; accompanied by a personal preference for slang and, when required to speak technically or academically, a tendency to compensate by summarizing with a playful simile, or even inserting a glib (or mildly profane) remark.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
You'll want to consult verified ISTPs (i.e., peek into a store's repair room), but from my experience with them: all, regardless of intelligence, have shown a discomfort with figurative language; accompanied by a personal preference for slang and, when required to speak technically or academically, a tendency to compensate by summarizing with a playful simile, or even inserting a glib (or mildly profane) remark.
Not sure what you mean by figurative speaking. If you mean talking in generalities, I agree. As for the slang, that is a stereotype. In fact, many ISTPs are anti-tatoos, anti-slang (don't trust those who are different than themselves) and anti-anti. In learning about the MBTI, I would say that the average goth-tye person is an intuitive type.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure what you mean by figurative speaking. If you mean talking in generalities, I agree. As for the slang, that is a stereotype. In fact, many ISTPs are anti-tatoos, anti-slang (don't trust those who are different than themselves) and anti-anti. In learning about the MBTI, I would say that the average goth-tye person is an intuitive type.

So you're saying that the descriptions of types at similarminds.com are good ones? I'm not sure what to make of the descriptions of different types over there.

I agree with you that the goth type person is an Intuitive, as well as pretty much anyone attracted to a "counter-culture" of some sort.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
So you're saying that the descriptions of types at similarminds.com are good ones? I'm not sure what to make of the descriptions of different types over there.
Not at all. Like any descriptions, they're hit and miss. I can't speak for all ISTPs, however I find much of tradition comforting, but I have a strong disdain for too much routine and being in a rut.
I agree with you that the goth type person is an Intuitive, as well as pretty much anyone attracted to a "counter-culture" of some sort.
And that is not a bad thing. Currently, we need some counter-culturism in the US.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would say that the average goth-tye person is an intuitive type.

Experience speaking. :) While iNtuitives probably are overrepresented, Sensers still constitute the majority in the gothic subculture.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd imagine the Sensor Goths would be the follower Goths who don't know what they're following while the Intuitive Goths would be the leader Goths -- because the leader carries more weight and gets overrepresented.

And have you personally administered an MBTI to Goths, Eco? I think that's ultimately the only way you can know for sure.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"ISTPs are masterful at emotionlessly analyzing complex systems and introducing change to improve productivity and efficiency. Definitely.

The ISTP relies on first-hand experience when forming opinions and solutions and excel when they are in situations that are physically and mentally demanding, especially when the situations are of interest to them. For this reason, they can be closet "daredevils" who involve themselves with fast-moving and/or risky activities, recreational sports and careers. Yes.

ISTPs are very balanced in movement and emotion, easily adapting to any environment, which makes them excellent in a crisis situations. Yeah, healthy ones anyway.

They are normally optimistic (without being sappy) and let few things scare them. Yes.

ISTPs are full of good cheer, loyal to their equals, uncomplicated in their desires, generous, trusting and receptive people who want no part in confining commitments. I've heard this phrase somewhere. Sure, though.

They rarely show weakness or allow petty feelings control their thought processes. They don’t need compliments or affirmation from others to be fulfilled - in fact, they are slightly disgusted when people need that kind of emotional crutch." Eh, somewhat. Nobody's fully robotic.

Pretty brief description, but seems fairly accurate.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
And have you personally administered an MBTI to Goths, Eco? I think that's ultimately the only way you can know for sure.

I believe that one can sometimes know for sure simply through observation. Lots of people are so true to their type it's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

However, as a matter of fact, I have walked quite a few Sensing goths through MBTI (off the top of my head I recall three ISTPs, an ISTJ, an ESTJ, two ISFPs, an ESFP and an ESFJ). Through observation I have recognized many more. Far from all goths are N, trust me. :yes:

heart

heart on fire

Whether they are N or S, dressing goth for most people who do it is an example of conforming to fit into the culture of their chosen group and just as conformist as a businessman in a navy or gray suit. It a surface change to adhere to certain predecided image, not an example true deep individuality.

Instead of being revolutionary, if it is done solely to be seen as counter-culture, then it is reactionary against something and a way of being defined by reaction not an action of becoming true to one's own inner vision. jmo

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Whether they are N or S, dressing goth for most people who do it is an example of conforming to fit into the culture of their chosen group and just as conformist as a businessman in a navy or gray suit. It a surface change to adhere to certain predecided image, not an example true deep individuality.

Instead of being revolutionary, if it is done solely to be seen as counter-culture, then it is reactionary against something and a way of being defined by reaction not an action of becoming true to one's own inner vision. jmo

I agree that conformism within subcultures is as rampant as within the mainstream.

However, I disagree that the reactionary element of a subculture precludes 'being true to one's own inner vision'. One can simultaneously manifest proud opposition to what one has experienced as an oppressive or unhealthy culture and revel in one's chosen subculture for its own sake because it approximates one's inner vision. If one had never endured settings with contrary values and standards, then one would simply take the subculture for granted while thriving (like some people in the mainstream), but obviously that is usually not the case for individuals in subcultures, hence the kick that some get out of the reactionary element. :)devil:) It doesn't mean they necessarily live for the opposition. On the contrary, most goths I know view the opprobrium as a necessary evil, shunning conflict and cherishing tolerance. :jesus: ;)

heart

heart on fire
I agree that conformism within subcultures is as rampant as within the mainstream.

However, I disagree that the reactionary element of a subculture precludes 'being true to one's own inner vision'. One can simultaneously manifest proud opposition to what one has experienced as an oppressive or unhealthy culture and revel in one's chosen subculture for its own sake because it approximates one's inner vision. If one had never endured settings with contrary values and standards, then one would simply take the subculture for granted while thriving (like some people in the mainstream), but obviously that is usually not the case for individuals in subcultures, hence the kick that some get out of the reactionary element. :)devil:) It doesn't mean they necessarily live for the opposition. On the contrary, most goths I know view the opprobrium as a necessary evil, shunning conflict and cherishing tolerance. :jesus: ;)

I said if it is done solely to been seen as counter culture then it is a mere surface reactionary act. They may still have other ways that they respond purely to their own inner visions, but that act that they do because they like presenting a certain image for its shock value, counter culture stance is being more dictated by what is opposite those they wish to shock more than being something borne of their own inner vision.

A person can be more controlled by needing to feel in opposition to a certain standard than they can when they need to feel they are conforming to the standard. A true individuality can go on its own path without the standard shaping it in any way.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I said if it is done solely to been seen as counter culture then it is a mere surface reactionary act.

True, and I expect in some subcultures (the violent and vandalistic punk scene we have in some European countries, for instance) rebellion truly is all there is to it. However, in my (extensive) experience opposition is really not the primary motivation of any adult in the gothic subculture despite the blatant aesthetic divergence from the norm. Just FYI. :)

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
True, and I expect in some subcultures (the violent and vandalistic punk scene we have in some European countries, for instance) rebellion truly is all there is to it. However, in my (extensive) experience opposition is really not the primary motivation of any adult in the gothic subculture despite the blatant aesthetic divergence from the norm. Just FYI. :)

So true.

Zayin-x

MBTI Type
????
Don't deceive yourself. There is no such thing as a non-conformist.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How well does the following describe the ISTPs here? I wrote it thinking of the ISTPs I know and one of them agreed with it so far, but I need more feedback. Anything you would add, omit or change?
I am not an expert, but I have been a casual user of MBTI type for over 15 years.
I have been married to an ISTP for 25 years.
I agreed with everything else you wrote, but I wasn't sure I agreed whole-heartedly with these two statements that I pulled aside.

trusting and receptive people who want no part in confining commitments
Perhaps my husband is not stereotypical in this, but we have been faithful to each other for 25 years.
Marriage can be somewhat confining, or at least limiting.

They don’t need compliments or affirmation from others to be fulfilled
My husband is the opposite of this.
He needs to know his efforts are appreciated.
He will complain if he doesn't get appreciation.

My husband is extremely clever at solving problems and coming up with solutions that are effective and efficient.
He is resourceful and can make use of what he has at hand to make or fix something.
He's very sure of himself.
He's very good at everything he does.
He's a great strategist.

betterthandead

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think there are 2-3 types of ISTPs, as well as 2-3 types of other personality types. The core personality is similar but how that person grew up pretty much makes them more unique.

I would never want to be tied down to one Introvert woman, I'll probably look for other women. An Extrovert woman will keep me busy and in line. Believe it or not, most ISTPS (not me) are conformists. Some will want to have a "dark super spy" appearance, while others will look like a farmer/blue collar worker all the time. Then there are the clown crazy ISTPs like myself who appear like ENFPs but only once in awhile or if they're under stress. Those are true non-conformists. I've met 3 ISTPs and they all have tattoos...boring conformists trying to project an image of "I'm unique and tough"