• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] What are your skills?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was a damn 'tater-gun' technician back in the day. I remember watching my friends spray the main chamber with a solid 20 second mega burst of hair spray. They tried ignition and nothing happened (duh). They tried 30 seconds, then 40 seconds of hair spray.

I explained to them that the main chamber was much like a cylinder in a motor (thanks google!) and that by adding that much fuel without enough air, they were "flooding the engine." What was needed was a more appropriate (that is, lower) fuel-air ratio.

They cocked their heads at me rather confused so I just grabbed the thing, gave it a 2.5 second burst (at which they scoffed), sealed it up and hit the ignition. It let out a bang similar to a mid powered rifle - and it scared the crap out of them - more so because they never thought it would work.

Yeah... I did that whole play with potato guns back in middle school/high school. My guy ISTP and INTP friends were usually the main experimenters. I think Phoenity said something earlier about being careful about taking physical risks... I'm definitely the same. So standing next to two highly inquisitive boys that seemed oblivious to danger while they shot off the potato gun didn't quite suit my fancy.... or at least it didn't after they tried to shove a small watermelon in it (Can't remember if that worked or not.). I just sat back and told them when they were being idiots. :yes:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
* I have a photographic memory that will allow me to overload my short term memory with info. The effect is like walking into the exam while being allowed to use your books. I literally see the book in my head and can just look up information. It's a blessing and a curse as afterwards, the knowledge gets deleted. Saved my ass in many exams though.

I don't want to boast, but I'm similar with the exception that it gets stored for quite a while, I could dare say even long-term, if I can look at the page (or object, or landscape) for 1 minute. This is especially true for places (I can recall minute details of a place I've been just once), maps, and mathematical formulas. Less so for complete "walls of text".

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
No, I didn't know that I'm stubborn. It feels more like a kind of intensity to me, and only gets directed at people I think are interesting or care about. The rest of the time, I'm in INFJ marshmellow mode.

I hope it's not annoying, because if it is, my ISTP friend that I e-mail about art stuff might be experiencing the same thing. Oh, dear.....:huh:

I'm not actually saying you're stubborn. It could be considered a form of banter.

"Did you know you're stubborn?" (with the :) for clarification) is actually, in a way, a face-saving exit. It suggests I'm on good terms with you, but I'm still going to playfully chide you because I'm embarrassed.

Why? Because I feel like these comments on the "salamander story" are quite possibly misdirected. I don't want to suggest (or have others be led by their own intuition) that I'm someone or something that I'm not and then give me praise about it. So I clarified that with the above snake story.

By the way, the reason that I killed the snake was only incidentally because of my dog, unlike as you suggested. I could have picked the snake up and moved it but didn't because I lacked the knowledge to do so and because I was afraid of it. Those are both bad reasons to kill something, hence, I'm chiding you.

My simple, confused Ni says: Or are you bantering with me and I just don't see it? If so than disregard the above.

This is, for all you watching, a wonderful example of ISTP-INFJ communication & miscommunication.

Now, if you're anything like the INFJ I know, you might be feeling embarrassed because I said "I'm embarrassed." If that is the case, don't be. What you might not see here is that if I were actually intensely embarrassed I wouldn't actually be saying anything.

In other words, "it's all good, chill."

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To me, it's open season on poisonous snakes if we find them. My father had killed several copperheads (with a shovel) that were probably 3 feet long. They were just beyond huge. He was bitten by one - an immature that didn't know what it was doing - and his foot turned black and purple (good thing Uncle Bear was on hand - popped the boot on his Charger and killed the snake with a tire iron). I know they have a place in the ecosystem (interesting island off our coast somewhere where the wading birds nest and are completely safe from predators because the island is overrun with cottonmouths who eat their enemies and leave them alone) but they freak me out.

My skills there are to point, shout and then run away.

We encourage the king snakes. Once when I was out for a ride on my horse, he almost stepped on one lying across the path. It looked rather irritated, but moved along. I'm like "Sorry!!! Go eat a copperhead! You'll feel better!"

phoenity

Yeah... I did that whole play with potato guns back in middle school/high school. My guy ISTP and INTP friends were usually the main experimenters. I think Phoenity said something earlier about being careful about taking physical risks... I'm definitely the same. So standing next to two highly inquisitive boys that seemed oblivious to danger while they shot off the potato gun didn't quite suit my fancy.... or at least it didn't after they tried to shove a small watermelon in it (Can't remember if that worked or not.). I just sat back and told them when they were being idiots. :yes:

Oh don't be such a girl! You may have called them idiots, but you know you were sitting back watching in amusement because you loved to hear that cannon fire.

I kid, because I can relate. This same middle school friend of mine continued to deepen his interest in pryotechnics over the years. I never participated in the research or creation, but I loved seeing the end of the experiment.

My favorite was his homemade RPG. It was a pipe bomb attached to the end of a stick, with model rocket engines attached to the opposite end. It was so top heavy, I couldn't see how it could possibly fly straight up, so I was far away when he lit it. However, it did fly straight up, and about five seconds later made this beautifully perfect circle of bright white light high in the sky. I have no doubt this was heard and seen from miles away.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh don't be such a girl! You may have called them idiots, but you know you were sitting back watching in amusement because you loved to hear that cannon fire.

I kid, because I can relate. This same middle school friend of mine continued to deepen his interest in pryotechnics over the years. I never participated in the research or creation, but I loved seeing the end of the experiment.

My favorite was his homemade RPG. It was a pipe bomb attached to the end of a stick, with model rocket engines attached to the opposite end. It was so top heavy, I couldn't see how it could possibly fly straight up, so I was far away when he lit it. However, it did fly straight up, and about five seconds later made this beautifully perfect circle of bright white light high in the sky. I have no doubt this was heard and seen from miles away.

LOL! Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. I quite enjoy friends that like getting in to trouble. They provide endless hours of amusement! I do pretty much what you described... when I said I called them idiots, it was mostly to point out they were doing something wrong. I critiqued from a distance :D

I just realized I have a tendency to do that... I like to feed ideas to reckless friends (nothing too extreme... of course :newwink:). It's not evil, is it? It's.... it's inspiring. :yay:

phoenity

LOL! Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. I quite enjoy friends that like getting in to trouble. They provide endless hours of amusement! I do pretty much what you described... when I said I called them idiots, it was mostly to point out they were doing something wrong. I critiqued from a distance :D

I just realized I have a tendency to do that... I like to feed ideas to reckless friends (nothing too extreme... of course :newwink:). It's not evil, is it? It's.... it's inspiring. :yay:

Wow I'm guilty of the same thing, sparking many ideas for the trouble in which I did not partake directly but only observed in amusement. Usually the ones acting out the ideas were ESPs.

I've done this all my life. When I really think about it, it's the epitome of evil, because when we get caught, I feel like the most guilty one for coming up with the idea, but to others I appear innocent :devil:

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Twisting on that jar just enough that the next person who tries to open it actually gets it open.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not actually saying you're stubborn. It could be considered a form of banter.

"Did you know you're stubborn?" (with the :) for clarification) is actually, in a way, a face-saving exit. It suggests I'm on good terms with you, but I'm still going to playfully chide you because I'm embarrassed.

Why? Because I feel like these comments on the "salamander story" are quite possibly misdirected. I don't want to suggest (or have others be led by their own intuition) that I'm someone or something that I'm not and then give me praise about it. So I clarified that with the above snake story.

By the way, the reason that I killed the snake was only incidentally because of my dog, unlike as you suggested. I could have picked the snake up and moved it but didn't because I lacked the knowledge to do so and because I was afraid of it. Those are both bad reasons to kill something, hence, I'm chiding you.

Ohhh...... now I get it! I missed out on the tone of what you were saying... didn't realize that you were chiding, etc.. :doh: It's hard sometimes not being able to see facial expressions and body language. Thank you for the explanation. :)

My simple, confused Ni says: Or are you bantering with me and I just don't see it? If so than disregard the above.
I wasn't bantering, I was being serious. I'm just entirely too serious sometimes. *sigh*

This is, for all you watching, a wonderful example of ISTP-INFJ communication & miscommunication.

Now, if you're anything like the INFJ I know, you might be feeling embarrassed because I said "I'm embarrassed." If that is the case, don't be. What you might not see here is that if I were actually intensely embarrassed I wouldn't actually be saying anything.

In other words, "it's all good, chill."
Yaaaaay! :yay: