• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] The Rules

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How'd you learn to follow the rules and procedures and stuff?

I seem to have developed a problem with this. Even when I realize procedures exist for a reason and they work a certain way... I find myself- that I'd still rather do things the inefficient, dumb way for no other reason than my gut reaction to do so.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Haven't yet. :D

I seem to have developed a problem with this. Even when I realize procedures exist for a reason and they work a certain way... I find myself- that I'd still rather do things the inefficient, dumb way for no other reason than my gut reaction to do so.

Yeah, me too. Actually, probably the best way to get to me follow a rule is to tell me to do the opposite. ;)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

Yet isn’t inefficiency relative, especially when you look at the process that was taken, in hindsight? At the time it seemed the pragmatic thing to do and yes it’s usually based on instinct. But to the contrary SPs in general appreciate rules, codes of conduct, organization, etc when they make sense. When they do not make sense, when SPs feel hampered by the rules and regs, when it’s clear that the rule being expected to follow is based on a hidden agenda or geared towards someone or a group of people and is obviously unfair, then we choose not to follow it. Be always forewarned that we should always be prepared to deal with the consequences of failing to follow rules.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Depends what the rules are for. I tend to look at the consequences of breaking the rules. Usually they are more than what I would gain. I'm not really aware of that many rules in day-to-day life though. We'd have to talk specifics...

I also have a preference for doing things in the most efficient and logical way, and rules that counter this make me twitch.

phoenity

Why is your gut reaction to do things the dumb, inefficient way? That doesn't make much sense for an SP.

wolfy

awsm

I always look for the most expedient way. All things considered.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why is your gut reaction to do things the dumb, inefficient way? That doesn't make much sense for an SP.

Sure it does. But it might be more of an SFP thing. :newwink:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I hate systems and procedures, and if I could, I wouldn't listen or follow any. I'd go by my own agenda. But you just can't like a life like that. So, against my self wishes, I've come to learn to follow them and thier significance. Not saying I agree with a lot, or any, but that it would be selfish and hurtful if I didn't..and I'd never risk that over the well being of others.

However, if there's corruption, I'm going to rebel.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP

We're in the same boat! Makes me mad whenever my mom criticizes me, grabs my work, and gracefully finishes the work :steam:

However, my clinical instructor was nicer. She told me that I have a unique way of doing things. :cheese:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well yeah, sometimes it does turn out more efficient in the end, but there's nothing wrong with getting a reliable result over a only-slightly-more-efficient one.

I just know that even when I *know* that I'm choosing the dumb way to do things, just because I'd rather do things my own way. Even if I was about to do it the "established" way before someone ORDERS me to do it that way... I automatically start planning to do the opposite.

I guess it's sort of a destructive tendency. You just got to play the odds, I suppose. Play it safe when the stakes are too high and go for broke when you can. It's hard to tell which is which when you're up close and personal though.

D

Dali

Rules be damned, when I have something to do, I'll do it the fastest way that will produce the best results (speed and quality are not necessarily mutually exclusive).

Thank God for my ENxJ boss that knows to give me work, back off and let me do it how I do it best.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
SJ has entered the room

Hello SP's!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hey there, Jeff. I just posted in this thread cause I like rules. lol

You make 'em and I'll break 'em. It's a perfect partnership. :D

TheAdaptableUser

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I follow rules and procedures. I actually don't mind them until they affect me and my own code then I have a probelm with the rules. My dad calls me "a con man's lawyer" because if possible I try to find loop holes or cracks within the rules and expose it or use it to my benefit.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I almost completely ignore them/don't care about them. I pay attention to them to the extent of checking if my actions are within them, if they aren't, I do it anyway, and either find a loop hole, or just make it not appear to be breaking the rule. (Of course, if there's no penalty to breaking said rule, then screw that, I'll just openly break it if the situation warrants it).