• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] the frightening shadow of the isfp

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Studying this type stuff for the last several years, I think that I've been sort of groomed to assume people to stick to the typical descriptions (estj = judgmental asshole, etc. Don't you like how I stopped there? Ha ha ha).

isfps I think, in particular and probably more so than estjs (in my mind), have been boxed in. Sites everywhere list descriptions detailing the isfp as the most calm, welcoming, generally peaceful-in-its-skin type there is. By and large, those that I've come to identify as isfp have some of the kindest minds.

This sort of sets up what I want to present: what I think is maybe the best real-life example of an isfp using her shadow functions with regularity. She is a fairly tall young woman, both well-dressed in some trendy blue denim and sparkly earrings. She also walks in a played-down but confident manner and has that deeper voice. That's it.

The reality is, though, is that I want to run away really fast once I start talking to her. She's an isfp who judges my eyes, my thoughts, just gets under my skin somehow, someway. Like little black holes that bore into my eyes and suck out the plasm.

There were several weeks over the course of the past semester during which I told a few close confidants how I uncomfortable I felt and how I planned on telling her personally when the time was right. Unfortunately for my rotten plans, one day while sitting behind me, she gave me her leftover bag of cookies and I felt like crap.

Regardless, I'd still planned on starting a thread around her sometime.

All facts considered, and clearly as an isfp, I believe that she operates quite extensively using her shadow functions. How often do you unleash your inner entj, isfps? Other thoughts or comments?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
This is strange, you haven't described anything tangible except she gave you some cookies (that was nice).

wolfy

awsm
All facts considered, and clearly as an isfp, I believe that she operates quite extensively using her shadow functions. How often do you unleash your inner entj, isfps? Other thoughts or comments?

Every now and again. If I was going to put a face to it. I'd choose the guy locked up in the basement in The Goonies.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is strange, you haven't described anything tangible except she gave you some cookies (that was nice).

What do you deem tangible that I haven't mentioned?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Just like my inner ENTJ

Chuck wasn't ENTJ, more ESFP, or did you mean it looks like Chuck? Man I confuse myself sometimes.

What do you deem tangible that I haven't mentioned?

Well all you've said is she makes you feel uncomfortable, how does she make you feel uncomfortable, are you saying our shadow is expressed through a look?

wolfy

awsm
Chuck wasn't ENTJ, more ESFP, or did you mean it looks like Chuck? Man I confuse myself sometimes.

I meant that I find that side of me useful. Strong and wild with a temper but with good intentions at the core. Just like Chuck. Just my impression of him. Not type.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well all you've said is she makes you feel uncomfortable, how does she make you feel uncomfortable, are you saying our shadow is expressed through a look?
Oh, okay. No, not at all. Really it's more about how her voice is like the smoke from a pipe that shoots out like those cool animations of a bullet being released from a gun and trails off in a whisper of a cat's tail of smoke, but can leave you coughing all the same. I guess it's not so much about the train that runs from her mouth as what I just described (and mixed body language signals) that puts me on edge. Mixed signals all over. She probably needs to be very dominant with whoever is close with her.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
299003598_a0447d2aa1.jpg

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
She's probably oblivious to whatever signals she's sending out.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
She's probably oblivious to whatever signals she's sending out.
Word from the grapevine is that she was in a bad car wreck. Maybe she sustained serious head injuries. I'll leave the question in a pot of geraniums for her on Wednesday.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
ok

So anyways, my shadow probably comes out as being a snide and sarcastic meany (when really stressed or tired out).

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Haha, I'd like to see that (from a distance).

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
My mean shadow judges everything and finds that none of it deserves a good rating... people... food... writing... newspaper layouts... and it's not shy about saying so, either.

Skyline

Thread starter, you seem so confused by her being that you start fantasizing about what might lie "underneath that pretty looking exterior"... HALT!! :D
Do not fear! Embrace! (lolols, up til now your description of her does not sound dangerous...I agree with Quinlan's replies... don't worry bout it and get to know the girl.)

Hm...So...When I "flip" (this doesn't happen fast though) I focus on my goal and won't hold my thoughts back when people truly 'intrude on me'. I'll be more openly (and very easily) critical about ..well almost anything related to me then (you can call it: loudly broody & worried & also sad actually), and will only care about what needs to be done according to some picture drawn in my mind ('to make things better').
...'Usually, this will end up in me feeling guilty, confused and semi-crying (after the self-realization). ^^
So, don't worry 'bout it, she's not a demon ^^

D

Dali

My shadow is most prominent when I'm under a huge amount of stress. An especially cringe-worthy period was a few years ago when I was recovering from a horrible case of malaria. For a few weeks, I was blunt, judged every single thing around me quickly (and sometimes verbally) dismissing that which I deemed not worthy and had a vast desire to have my own way in every single scenario. I still shudder when I think about it.

And I believe you've deeply misunderstood the poor girl. I see no need to make her aware of how uncomfortable she makes you unless you're colleagues or close in some manner which you're apparently not especially when you're so vague about what it is. Seriously, her husky voice?

Just, you know, do your own thing and let her be.