• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs and fluid identity

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

I don’t want to commit to any particular way to be. I want to be able to be a lot of ways. In my mind, I am peacefully assimilating myself to a lot of different situations, flowing easily between them all. Most people don’t understand there’s a lot going on inside. It’s always different, and if it’s not always different, it’s no fun.

When I’m someplace, doing something, I’m really there. The whole experience is related to that time and place. And people only see the part of me that is with them that day. That’s who I am for that day, but little do they know that tomorrow I might be different.

I was wondering whether other ISFPs relate to this and how it influences our ability to type ourselves. A lot of other types seem to have a strong identity, one that is easy to spot and type but like these quotes show, I don't have a very rigid sense of self. I'm sure I could form a reasonable case for me being a number of different types, dependng on different situations. I'm also compelled by the idea of mbti's boxes but I'm repulsed by the idea of being put in a box.

ISFPs, did you find it hard to accurately type yourself? do you often get different types in tests? Do you ever wonder if you're a different type? Do you find type too limiting to describe your personality?

For other types, do these tendencies make us difficult to type at times?

b4b

MBTI Type
xSFP
I can totally relate the the quotes above, especially the second one
and yes: it's hard for me to accurately type myself...still unsure if I'm E or I...sometimes I even score as a weak T....

phoenity

I'm the same way. I can't describe myself because I always feel differently. I simply just am.

Maybe it's an SP thing?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

wolfy

awsm
I feel my personality is fluid. That's what I teach my kids too. Nobody can really be labelled in anyway.
When people do that they are simply using a shortcut in thinking.
We are what we are in the moment.
When I do something stupid am I stupid?
Of course not. People change and adapt.

On a side note. I measured as ENFP six times the other night.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'd test ENFP if I was high on something I reckon.

*Looks at Wolfy suspiciously*

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you really believe in type theory you have to concentrate on the functions only and which you can identify with. This whole thing about isfp, esfj, abcd is just bullshit and tests determining it are bullshit²

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If you really believe in type theory you have to concentrate on the functions only and which you can identify with. This whole thing about isfp, esfj, abcd is just bullshit and tests determining it are bullshit²

I tend to agree with you on that, but I also tend to think of ISFPs as people who identify with a Fi, Se, Ni function order.

dude...I gave up.

why you got some?

I'm joking. Just joking.

Nah, brings new meaning to "I tested ENFP 6 times the other night" though! :D

wolfy

awsm
I don’t want to commit to any particular way to be.

Sometimes I do. But I think it's better to stay flexible and open. But committing to one way feels a little like that scene in Terminator 2 with the rose, the shotgun and the hallway.

I want to be able to be a lot of ways. In my mind, I am peacefully assimilating myself to a lot of different situations, flowing easily between them all.
Most people don’t understand there’s a lot going on inside. It’s always different, and if it’s not always different, it’s no fun.

It's always changing it's not always different. I want things to change for things to flow.

When I’m someplace, doing something, I’m really there. The whole experience is related to that time and place. And people only see the part of me that is with them that day. That’s who I am for that day, but little do they know that tomorrow I might be different.

I could not understand why some of my friends hung around with me. I mean they'd get so pissed off with me sometimes. And with good reason. So I asked... and their answer was ' you can be so much fun'
Not staying consistent is kind of selfish in a way. But staying the same all the time is no way to live a life.

phoenity

:nice:

:cheers:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Nah. If you concentrate on the functions only, you just have a bunch of abstract gibberish.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
And right now my identity is to be too tired to form coherent thoughts, so I'll add more to this topic later. :cool:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Nah. If you concentrate on the functions only, you just have a bunch of abstract gibberish.

I came to understand type theory after reading Jung like well-formulated building blocks you can use to describe human existence. And thats what they were and what they are, they gave me a tool to formulate things, I have already witnessed in life and to bring in the rationality into my observations.

MBTI and socionics then, I interpreted as the greater attempt to formulate a general concept for various combinations of functions. And thats great.

But and I think that is a general problem. If I present type theory to outstanding people, most of the times they try to find out, with which of the mbti or socionics types they could blend it. And that leads to a lot of troubles, because most of the times, they try to backwards engineer lacking the understanding of type theory in the first place.

The basics again, namely the functions, are something you have to come to know in life, through experience. What presents again a huge problem for your own understanding of a greater thing, if you arent even firm with the things its made of.

I still lack to grasp a lot of functions myself and I have basically tried thus far to have a holistic view on people, in which socionics fits my purposes better. Meaning I dont want to limit them to only four functions.

What I want to say with this is basically nothing. I still like the idea behind mbti and socionics and the basic interpretation of humankind type theory has to offer.

But I have come to the point, at which I have to admit that not everyone is mentally cut out to understand this topic fully. Therefore there always will be a lot of interpretation going on, what is basically a nice thing, but only with people who can stand it and for example not people who are in crisis.

So its good, if you always see these things here as a constantly vibrating guideline in the back of your head when interacting with people, but to start to make a religion out of it and to have as the first thing in mind, when you meet new people, what type he or she might be, you are going down the wrong path.

But I bet you havent got the same problems :)

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4

I was wondering whether other ISFPs relate to this and how it influences our ability to type ourselves. A lot of other types seem to have a strong identity, one that is easy to spot and type but like these quotes show, I don't have a very rigid sense of self. I'm sure I could form a reasonable case for me being a number of different types, dependng on different situations. I'm also compelled by the idea of mbti's boxes but I'm repulsed by the idea of being put in a box.

I think ISFPs are characterized by wondering who they are. Fi is usually looking for a sense of identity, and Se gives you a shallow perspective of where to grab your identity from.

I know a couple ISFPs and they both seem unnatural, kinda like they don't know who they are, or they're trying to be someone they're not.

phoenity

I came to understand type theory after reading Jung like well-formulated building blocks you can use to describe human existence. And thats what they were and what they are, they gave me a tool to formulate things, I have already witnessed in life and to bring in the rationality into my observations.

MBTI and socionics then, I interpreted as the greater attempt to formulate a general concept for various combinations of functions. And thats great.

But and I think that is a general problem. If I present type theory to outstanding people, most of the times they try to find out, with which of the mbti or socionics types they could blend it. And that leads to a lot of troubles, because most of the times, they try to backwards engineer lacking the understanding of type theory in the first place.

The basics again, namely the functions, are something you have to come to know in life, through experience. What presents again a huge problem for your own understanding of a greater thing, if you arent even firm with the things its made of.

I still lack to grasp a lot of functions myself and I have basically tried thus far to have a holistic view on people, in which socionics fits my purposes better. Meaning I dont want to limit them to only four functions.

What I want to say with this is basically nothing. I still like the idea behind mbti and socionics and the basic interpretation of humankind type theory has to offer.

But I have come to the point, at which I have to admit that not everyone is mentally cut out to understand this topic fully. Therefore there always will be a lot of interpretation going on, what is basically a nice thing, but only with people who can stand it and for example not people who are in crisis.

So its good, if you always see these things here as a constantly vibrating guideline in the back of your head when interacting with people, but to start to make a religion out of it and to have as the first thing in mind, when you meet new people, what type he or she might be, you are going down the wrong path.

But I bet you havent got the same problems :)

I have trouble understanding type theory, but the more I understand, the more I realize I'm working at it from the wrong direction.

I'm the type of person who needs to understand the foundation of an idea first. I can do reverse engineering, as I have been doing, but it's not as effective.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
If I'm with someone else, particularly someone who is very strongly any personality type that I am not, I find that I start mirroring that person. I pick up on their personality traits, their way of speaking, and their moods. I become much more outgoing around an extravert and much quieter and inward around an introvert. I really don't do that on purpose. It just sort of happens.
I have tested as other types and other temperaments, including ESTJ, INFP, ENFP, ISTP, and ESFP. It could have something to do with that mirroring trait.

I think ISFPs are characterized by wondering who they are. Fi is usually looking for a sense of identity, and Se gives you a shallow perspective of where to grab your identity from.

I know a couple ISFPs and they both seem unnatural, kinda like they don't know who they are, or they're trying to be someone they're not.