• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJ vs ISTP

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I came across ISTJ description and from an outsider I can see how it seems very similiar. We both express our affection through action instead of words. But the drive behind the action is different. For an ISTJ the completion of an action is the most important and with an ISTP the enjoyment of the action is what matters. When an ISTP is happy we will complete projects, but the second things start to get hectic we lose focus of whats important and instead focus on what makes us happy which is learning new things through experience. When things get tough we dont stress, we figure out how to get things done while still having fun. This can lead to cutting corners, letting certain things go. When things get tough for an ISTJ they focus, plan, and drive towards the finish. Anything that keeps people from reaching there goal can get under there skin and frustrate them. The key is that our goals are different. An ISTJ will see a problem or a screw up as derailing there effort because the finish line is what there shooting for, but an ISTP is just there for the experience so we enjoy all the side roads and detours, screw up can be fun. We may even take a detour that is gonna cause problems because something there looks fun and is worth veering off course for a little while(This is our Ni pushing us to explore everything). In this case sticking to the course is frustrating because you are missing so many chances to experience things.

People who get married young can see the opposite of the person they fall in love with because life has no worries and is stress free. At this point an ISTJ may not be as driven towards the finish line and feel like he has the time to detour without risking his main tasks. An ISTP will actually complete everything. An ISTP still takes his detours, but he has so much time that he actually finishes things through to completion.

I think this is the case with all xxxJ vs xxxP.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This can cause a conflicting relationship to be hidden until a stressful event happens and things really change. I believe this change is what throws everything of course. The reason it is not caught is because Ne can relate and Se notices change to things. The Se doesnt recognize the Ni scream for help and the Ne doesnt recognize Si scream for help. Ni scream for help by relating things, whether subconcious or not. We try to hint with Ni by providing using relation. We wont come out and say it, we will try to show it. Someone who is a music person will start to listen to things that they relate to what they need. Se does not pick these things up, we are blinded by the real reason. Our Se does not pick up the Ni and tries to fix the wrong thing. A person who is Si will start looking for change. Si will start hinting that they want change, an Ne will completely miss this because they are looking at relations. They will know something is wrong, but dont know what and there Ne cant see the Si screaming.

The kicker is that with the temperment problem from the OP the communication sucks big time in regards to feelings and everything on both sides stay bottled up. One side cant handle the anger and the other side cant handle hurt.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the part that causes both sides to bottle up is because when conflicting pairs try to talk about things its a Ni vs Ni or Si vs Si battle. It turns into someone or both feeling stupid and the Extravert goes into Fe/Te hiding(can use anger to hide the hurt) and the intravert goes into Ti/Fi withdrawing(dead to the conversation).

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When an ISTP is happy we will complete projects, but the second things start to get hectic we lose focus of whats important and instead focus on what makes us happy which is learning new things through experience. When things get tough we dont stress, we figure out how to get things done while still having fun. This can lead to cutting corners, letting certain things go.

Absolutely hilarious... That's dead on. People close to me (A good chunk of which are Ns) find this foreign. They can't fathom why the more things start to pile up and get stressful, the more likely I'll wander off aimlessly in search of something fun and distracting.

phoenity

Absolutely hilarious... That's dead on. People close to me (A good chunk of which are Ns) find this foreign. They can't fathom why the more things start to pile up and get stressful, the more likely I'll wander off aimlessly in search of something fun and distracting.

This is why I suck at multi-tasking. I'd rather find one activity to put all my focus into as the end result is usually more satisfying.

How do you guys deal with things piling up? Besides taking care of the obviously important things and saying screw everything else...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is why I suck at multi-tasking. I'd rather find one activity to put all my focus into as the end result is usually more satisfying.

How do you guys deal with things piling up? Besides taking care of the obviously important things and saying screw everything else...

I have tried to mentally make myself think I wanted it. I tried to find reasons why I needed to do it to do something else. Like I convince myself that my workout would be so much more affective if the garage was clean and I didnt have to walk over things. Other times I just figure out what makes the biggest impact and do that portion. Be careful of this though as youll end up with a bunch of projects that are 95% done and bored of them. I have like 20 xbox 360 games and have never finished any of them. I get to the last level and then get bored of it.

phoenity

I have tried to mentally make myself think I wanted it. I tried to find reasons why I needed to do it to do something else. Like I convince myself that my workout would be so much more affective if the garage was clean and I didnt have to walk over things. Other times I just figure out what makes the biggest impact and do that portion. Be careful of this though as youll end up with a bunch of projects that are 95% done and bored of them. I have like 20 xbox 360 games and have never finished any of them. I get to the last level and then get bored of it.

LOL! I've been "trying" to find time to organize the garage for about a year... :)

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have tried to mentally make myself think I wanted it. I tried to find reasons why I needed to do it to do something else. Like I convince myself that my workout would be so much more affective if the garage was clean and I didnt have to walk over things. Other times I just figure out what makes the biggest impact and do that portion.

Again... dead on! Although for school-related things, sometimes I just get worse... For instance, when I discovered I could pull off As in classes even after putting off studying for a week and then pulling an all-nighter the day before... I just got worse. I must be one of the only seniors at my University that got progressively worse in their study habits.

A lot of the times I do just what Poki said, and other times I procrastinate like I do with classes. Regardless, don't y'all somehow find you always get away with things no matter what it is, and no matter how many things pile up? I think that just enables me... But I also think the only reason we can get away with it is because by the time we have to do it, we've somehow gathered enough information to jump right into action. I find that the longer I have to aimlessly do whatever I want before something has to be done, the quicker I can get it done when I do it. It's in the back of my mind, I'm just passively gathering information about it. Does that make sense? And do y'all agree?

phoenity

Again... dead on! Although for school-related things, sometimes I just get worse... For instance, when I discovered I could pull off As in classes even after putting off studying for a week and then pulling an all-nighter the day before... I just got worse. I must be one of the only seniors at my University that got progressively worse in their study habits.

A lot of the times I do just what Poki said, and other times I procrastinate like I do with classes. Regardless, don't y'all somehow find you always get away with things no matter what it is, and no matter how many things pile up? I think that just enables me... But I also think the only reason we can get away with it is because by the time we have to do it, we've somehow gathered enough information to jump right into action. I find that the longer I have to aimlessly do whatever I want before something has to be done, the quicker I can get it done when I do it. It's in the back of my mind, I'm just passively gathering information about it. Does that make sense? And do y'all agree?

That's how I wrote all my papers in school. My first draft was always my last draft.

But then again that's how I am with everything. Before I act, I get a pretty good idea of what and how, then I do.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I agree, I can do things crazy fast when I want to. People catch onto this though and expect more though so be cautious as to not lead on that you can get things done to fast. I do an excellent job when I spend the time, but in 1/5th the time I can do a very good job so why waste the extra 4/5th the time.

Doppleganger

MBTI Type
IxtP
Enneagram
5w4
I have like 20 xbox 360 games and have never finished any of them. I get to the last level and then get bored of it.

This sounds so much like me, except I only get through around 75% of the game.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I have been focusing on the wrong parts to distinguish ISTJ. Te and Fe can be so much alike from the outside. I hide who I am because I am different. Under the rough and tumble exterior I am extremely sensitive. I dont hide these feelings from myself, I hide them from everyone else. I dont get along very well with other men and you are most likely to find me around women. Growing up I was a mommies boy, I then hung out with my sister and I would always navigate toward my female cousins. I felt like I had to protect them. I felt like I had to protect others Fi. How many men do you know that really understand what the Bryan Adams song "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" means and can actually feel it inside?

Growing up I always had a dream that my mom was not happy, that she did not feel loved. There was always something wrong with her mouth in my dream and she couldnt talk. All I knew to say in the dream is that no matter what anyone else thinks I love you. I never understood this dream. I was talking to my mom tonight, I have never talked about my marriage before(she once told me that marriage problems cause us to focus on the bad so I kept it in), I told her how I felt inside and she just went quiet. She felt the exact same way as me.

I spent umpteen billion hours at bingo, not because I liked it, but because my mom did and I liked to spend time with her. I would always find something to do though to have fun while I was there, if not she would figure something out for me to do.

I hide alot of who I am because what I say causes hurt in those I love because it brings up things that they have supressed. I hide alot of what I have figured out about marriages and the problems because I understand the disconnect, but I have no way to fix it. How do you bring up the hurt when so many people around you are dominant or auxilary Fi and feel the exact same way as you do. I have no one to talk to about it because everyone I know is in a relationship.

I can see a big difference between ISTP and ISTJ. My family is full of ISTJ men and it kills me to see Fi in pain and I cant do anything about it. These are the ones that will logically talk you into doing things ignoring how you feel, insisting its fun or the tool you should use. ISTP and ISTJ are both mechanics, but ISTP wants to fix feelings, ISTJ wants to fix the problem.

What causes an ISTP to express his feelings? Fear of losing what has been missing for years.