• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] The Official Nobody Hates ISFPs Thread

KDude

Me or you? Fictional ones?

I dunno man. I got a rep to uphold.. I'll come as extremely geeky if I start listing them :glasses: Lemme think about it.

wolfy

awsm
Fictional is easier. I like Luke Skywalker, he is on the idealistic side I guess. I think I lean to the reluctant hero or the anti hero.

KDude

Reluctant in what way? Like Mad Max or Die Hard or Clint? They're all ISTPs, I think.

I always liked the characters that had convictions about something, but were kind of weak or started off from a bad place. Daniel in Karate Kid, for example (not sure what type he is.. esfp or isfp??). My favorite character of this kind isn't even that well known, so it probably doesn't help. It's Simon from the anime Tengan Toppa Gurren Laggan (yeah, that's a mouthful).

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, like Mad Max and those characters you said. I liked Daniel too though, I am looking forward to taking my son to the new one. But the others were more of a draw.

KDude

Oops, I didn't mean to say I didn't like those other movies too. I just don't find them particularly inspiring.. They're just badass. It's funny how that works.. because I think the last 15 minutes of the Road Warrior is some of the best shit ever made. Or the last bits of Conan the Barbarian..he just fucks everyone up. But it's just not something that hits me the same way. Even Rocky would be more along my lines (the first one at least). That literally makes me kind of shed tears (ahem... or something.. shh I didn't say that).

wolfy

awsm
I know you like them, who couldn't like them. There is something about the first Mad Max that really gets me. It is the family and friends thing I think.

I have got to go. My daughter is scared of cockroaches tonight, we found one earlier and she can't sleep. That is about as heroic as I get. Haha.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I like antiheroes. They are more entertaining than the "good guys."
As an example, the Phantom is far more interesting of a character than "good guy" Raoul.

Fictional is easier. I like Luke Skywalker, he is on the idealistic side I guess. I think I lean to the reluctant hero or the anti hero.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Who are some antiheroes? Sometimes I like the villians...

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i like antiheroes also, and reluctant heroes.
i like the John McClane type of reluctant hero - "i do this because there's nobody else to do it." the heroes who want to be left alone.

flawed heroes are a lot more interesting, i especially like self-important and egotistical heroes. like Jimmy McNulty in The Wire. or Han Solo, he is a lot more interesting to me than Luke Skywalker.

some anti-heroes are: Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver, Cool Hand Luke, The Man With No Name, Harry Callahan from Dirty Harry, Tyler Durden in Fight Club, Charles Bronson in Death Wish.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
So what makes them antiheroes?

I like the mysterious characters, the ones you're never quite sure what side they're on but you hope that when the shit hits the fan they'll step in on your side. I can't think of any examples though.

In wrestling they're called Tweeners.

wolfy

awsm
I like antiheroes. They are more entertaining than the "good guys."
As an example, the Phantom is far more interesting of a character than "good guy" Raoul.

Yeah, they are more real in some way.

Here is a list. I don't know if I agree with all of them but it is okay as a list.

i like antiheroes also, and reluctant heroes.
i like the John McClane type of reluctant hero - "i do this because there's nobody else to do it." the heroes who want to be left alone.

flawed heroes are a lot more interesting, i especially like self-important and egotistical heroes. like Jimmy McNulty in The Wire. or Han Solo, he is a lot more interesting to me than Luke Skywalker.

some anti-heroes are: Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver, Cool Hand Luke, The Man With No Name, Harry Callahan from Dirty Harry, Tyler Durden in Fight Club, Charles Bronson in Death Wish.

I like both but Luke resonates more with the way I am. In a way, I like that he really was not sure over a lot of things, reluctant. In himself and his calling as a Jedi. I could relate to that in the story. Han Solo was more confident and cocky, he wasn't turned in on himself enough. I like it when the hero loses a bit too. That is one of the main reasons The Good and the bad is my favourite western. Blondie gets lost in the desert and almost hung. But Blondie is pretty confident, when the hero doubts themselves and overcomes that. That is the most interesting.

It interests me more when the hero needs to overcome himself.

So what makes them antiheroes?

I like the mysterious characters, the ones you're never quite sure what side they're on but you hope that when the shit hits the fan they'll step in on your side. I can't think of any examples though.

In wrestling they're called Tweeners.

Like a mercenary like character? But with a side that pushes them to help when the shit hits the fan. Rambo in the last movie?

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I like both but Luke resonates more with the way I am. In a way, I like that he really was not sure over a lot of things, reluctant. In himself and his calling as a Jedi. I could relate to that in the story. Han Solo was more confident and cocky, he wasn't turned in on himself enough. I like it when the hero loses a bit too. That is one of the main reasons The Good and the bad is my favourite western. Blondie gets lost in the desert and almost hung. But Blondie is pretty confident, when the hero doubts themselves and overcomes that. That is the most interesting.

i resonate more with Han - how he isn't driven by a purpose or his ideals or fighting for his beliefs like Luke.
Han takes up the causes of other people, he fights for people but he never really fights for a cause. that is what i relate to.

when the hero doubts themselves and overcomes that. That is the most interesting.

i like the heroes who doubt themselves and overcome it-
they are the hero with a purpose who has to find their inner strength.

then there is the hero who has confidence and doesn't doubt themself-
they are the hero who has strength but needs to find their purpose.

they are both pretty interesting.
i think different heroes have very different parts of themselves they need to overcome.
i am thinking of the brothers in 8 Diagram Pole Fighter - they both fight with themselves but in very different ways.

wolfy

awsm
i resonate more with Han - how he isn't driven by a purpose or his ideals or fighting for his beliefs like Luke.
Han takes up the causes of other people, he fights for people but he never really fights for a cause. that is what i relate to.

If the hero fights for people as his cause then I resonate. There are some heroes like that. I can't think of who I mean now. I like it when something or somebody turns the hero on. maybe I am idealistic in a way, as much as I like Han, I like that Luke comes from a place that never changes. I think that is the best way to put it.

It isn't the external cause that I like in the Luke character, it is his cause within himself that I like.

i like the heroes who doubt themselves and overcome it-
they are the hero with a purpose who has to find their inner strength.

then there is the hero who has confidence and doesn't doubt themself-
they are the hero who has strength but needs to find their purpose.

they are both pretty interesting.
i think different heroes have very different parts of themselves they need to overcome.

Yeah, great post. Maybe we all struggle with both to some degree but see a little more of ourselves in one.

i am thinking of the brothers in 8 Diagram Pole Fighter - they both fight with themselves but in very different ways.

Never seen it, I should check it out.

It is pretty interesting how people see heroes. What aspects resonate most. Interesting!

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I like it when something or somebody turns the hero on. maybe I am idealistic in a way, as much as I like Han, I like that Luke comes from a place that never changes. I think that is the best way to put it.

It isn't the external cause that I like in the Luke character, it is his cause within himself that I like.

yeah, i like heroes like that too. like Sergeant Elias in Platoon, he has an unshakable set of principles that guides everything he does. he has a real clear and solid internal focus.

It is pretty interesting how people see heroes. What aspects resonate most. Interesting!

it is! i always like that different people see characters and heroes in such different ways.

wolfy

awsm
I want to know more about idealism in sfp. I really think that idealism for me meant authenticity in what I was doing. And was built from what I had experienced through my life. It was an experiential idealism not an abstract idealism.

I don't know, I am trying to understand that.

wolfy

awsm
yeah, i like heroes like that too. like Sergeant Elias in Platoon, he has an unshakable set of principles that guides everything he does. he has a real clear and solid internal focus.

Yeah, it is kind of unrelated but that reminds of the way I think extroverted thinking and all that it represents can help isfp.

it is! i always like that different people see characters and heroes in such different ways.

You can learn a lot about yourself.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I want to know more about idealism in sfp. I really think that idealism for me meant authenticity in what I was doing. And was built from what I had experienced through my life. It was an experiential idealism not an abstract idealism.

I don't know, I am trying to understand that.

i think you are right that it is experiential.
i don't know what idealism is. i am trying to think of what it is and i can't do it. i think part of it is a belief that there is good in things.
what do you mean by idealism means authenticity in what you're doing?

Yeah, it is kind of unrelated but that reminds of the way I think extroverted thinking and all that it represents can help isfp.

how do you mean? the organization of it?

wolfy

awsm
i think you are right that it is experiential.
i don't know what idealism is. i am trying to think of what it is and i can't do it. i think part of it is a belief that there is good in things.
what do you mean by idealism means authenticity in what you're doing?

I am thinking of how there is an ideal in me of how something should be. I read somewhere that isfp need to have experienced something first hand. I kind of agree but not fully. I think there is always a pull in me towards doing something in a way that I feel is, I suppose honourable is the right word, in a way that honours what I am doing. There is always a fight between that and laziness. I know in my gut how it should be, now can I pull it off. Something like that in how I think.

Like how Pirsig used the word quality. Pirsig's metaphysics of Quality

Quality

"Quality," or "value," as described by Pirsig, cannot be defined because it empirically precedes any intellectual construction of it. Quality is the "knife-edge" of experience, known to all. "What distinguishes good and bad writing? Do we need to ask this question of Lysias or anyone else who ever did write anything?" (Plato's Phaedrus, 258d). Equating it with the Tao, Pirsig postulates that Quality is the fundamental force in the universe stimulating everything from atoms to animals to evolve and incorporate ever greater levels of Quality. According to the MOQ, everything (including the mind, ideas, and matter) is a product and a result of Quality.

I think that part of idealism an an abstract sense is that everyone has innate worth. But I see anything that is universal as being in some way irrelevant. It is everything so it is also nothing.

how do you mean? the organization of it?

Yeah, there is this old thread that I started and let die ISFP Personal Growth. I posted a few quotes I found on how some aspects of our personality help others.

Introverted Feeling in tandem with Extraverted Thinking..

We can get impressive results using introverted feeling in tandem with extraverted thinking. We can stay true to our beliefs by structuring our lives and standing firm on whats important. We might decide against purchasing a particular product that harms the environment and then arrange our lives or the organization we lead to make do without it. We might refer to evidence and empirical reasoning to support what we believe is true. Maybe we hold fast to the idea that all people bring useful gifts to society, then construct a metric and gather data to demonstrate this value. Or we might use time management and spatial organization skills to better follow through on important commitments and worthwhile projects.

Extraverted Sensing in tandem with Introverted Intuiting

We can get powerful results using extraverted Sensing in tandem with introverted Intuiting. We can be very tuned in to the surrounding environment, with anticipation of whats coming next. We may constantly read our industrys current news to be sure to catch the next wave of innovations. Or we can engage people in fun activities, drawing them out and helping them transform themselves. We might pull a shy person onto the dance floor, convinced that there is an inner dancer waiting to be released; that person experiences his or her potential firsthand. Or we might shape the current context to what we envision it can be, like a sculptor who can see the final statue within a chunk of marble and sculpts everything else away to get to it.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I say this is Fi idealism as described by Jung:

Its aim is not so much to accommodate to the objective fact as to stand above it, since its whole unconscious effort is to give reality to the underlying images. It is, as it were, continually seeking an image which has no existence in reality, but of which it has had a sort of previous vision. From objects that can never fit in with its aim it seems to glide unheedingly away. It strives after an inner intensity, to which at the most, objects contribute only an accessory stimulus.