• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensors' MBTI link recommendations

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, so over the weekend I managed to sell MBTI to an ISTP. He actually requested links. :happy:

In the past, I've linked people to PersonalityPage, but the feedback I have gotten from Sensors has not been encouraging, and I can't say that I blame them. The descriptions at PP are not only written iNtuitively but are also iNtuitive-biased. :dry:

I am perfectly capable of digging up other links that I could give a try, however, I figure I might as well ask the Sensors here what links you'll recommend. This is for a guy who is quick-witted but whose patience with academic abstraction is close to zero.

(iNtuitives, if you have personal experience with successfully introducing a Sensor to MBTI, I'll appreciate your links too.)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The description I find most accurate for me is this one:
ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

It's long and detailed, and mostly spot-on, unlike the personalitypage and typelogic ones, which only vaguely describe me. I especially like that it doesn't assume all ISTPs are interested in high-risk sports (I think doing anything that has a high risk of killing me is stupid) and fixing cars (doubt I'd fix it if I had one). I also like that it includes female ISTP traits, whereas other descriptions are mostly ISTP male-oriented (though most INTP descriptions are like this as well...probably INTJ too for that matter). I haven't read the other type descriptions there though, other than skimming through INTP briefly.

I also like this one: ISTP because it's written from a first-person point of view, so it's easier to recognize the mindset. It is kinda vague though.

Last edited:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you! :happy2:

I was already thinking of sending him the BestFitType link, actually, but I am glad to see that it was brought up independently. The other link I'll be sure to send him too.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The descriptions at Team Technology are among the best, too.

Most people seem to think that intelligence and creativity are the same thing. The truth is there are intelligent people who aren't creative and creative people who aren't intelligent.

Intuition measures only the preference for creative thinking rather than systematic. And it's been proven that IQ tests do not measure creativity. They also do not measure the preference to think abstractly, but the ability.

IQ tests seem to only measure abstract thinking ability in an academic setting. But there are so many other things in life that require abstract thinking abilities -- such as using the imagination. There are a lot of imaginative people out there who seem to have extremely poor math skills.

People who are slow learners can often be imaginative people. An imaginative person traditionally sees things differently from the norm, and they often have trouble in academic settings, but creativity and imagination are in the realm of Intuition, and it's entirely different from intellect.

The thing is that there are people who just prefer not to think outside of the box, and so, if Sensing type descriptions are like that, I am less inclined to think the Sensor would be offended. But the Sensor can still be intellectually gifted. Likewise, the Intuitive can also be mentally retarded.

EDIT: My brother, for example, I think is an ISTP. He's sort of nerdy and a math whiz, and he's really nitpicky about things, which clearly suggest a Ti dominant. But he's not really one who thinks outside of the box on a regular basis. He is by no means dull, and he's very inquisitive. He's also an avid reader. But he's very systematic and conventional in his thinking.

(And I actually think the scientific method appeals more to the ISTP than the INTP -- the INTP would probably prefer inventing a new way.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that Life Explore puts Sensing types in good light, more or less (in the actual descriptions, I mean, the site's preference dichotomies are extremely biased, so I recommend standing clear from those).

And I also like David Keirsey's descriptions of types much more in Please Understand Me than Please Understand Me II. In Please Understand Me II, it seems Keirsey gets in way over his head.

sassafrassquatch

TypeLogic sucks.

The description I find most accurate for me is this one:
ISTP - Introverted Thinking with Sensing

It's long and detailed, and mostly spot-on, unlike the personalitypage and typelogic ones, which only vaguely describe me. I especially like that it doesn't assume all ISTPs are interested in high-risk sports (I think doing anything that has a high risk of killing me is stupid) and fixing cars (doubt I'd fix it if I had one). I also like that it includes female ISTP traits, whereas other descriptions are mostly ISTP male-oriented (though most INTP descriptions are like this as well...probably INTJ too for that matter). I haven't read the other type descriptions there though, other than skimming through INTP briefly.

I also like this one: ISTP because it's written from a first-person point of view, so it's easier to recognize the mindset. It is kinda vague though.

That's my favorite ISTP description, all the others just spout the same crap about us being a bunch of adrenaline junkies.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno if it's just me, but does anyone get the vibe in many type descriptions that Intuitives (even Intuitive Thinkers) are humanistic while Sensors are selfish? I know it doesn't make much sense, but it's something I noticed.

Descriptions seem to imply that Intuitives, period, are on the lookout for the better of humanity. Couldn't an Intuitive just as easily be on the lookout for his/her own self interests? People associate Intuitives with having concern for the environment and global warming. Couldn't an Intuitive just as easily dismiss these concerns? Likewise, wouldn't a Sensor display concern for these problems?

I just hate the way Intuitives are viewed in selfless light, and Sensors, while often not being described as selfish, are described in more neutral light.

Also, Personality Page says about the ISTJ in the Personal Growth section that their dominant Si function leads them to have selfish, uncaring look-after-oneself tendencies, but none of the Intuitive types are described that way. Doesn't anyone think that Intuitive types can be just as selfish?

sassafrassquatch

I dunno if it's just me, but does anyone get the vibe in many type descriptions that Intuitives (even Intuitive Thinkers) are humanistic while Sensors are selfish? I know it doesn't make much sense, but it's something I noticed.

Descriptions seem to imply that Intuitives, period, are on the lookout for the better of humanity. Couldn't an Intuitive just as easily be on the lookout for his/her own self interests? People associate Intuitives with having concern for the environment and global warming. Couldn't an Intuitive just as easily dismiss these concerns? Likewise, wouldn't a Sensor display concern for these problems?

I just hate the way Intuitives are viewed in selfless light, and Sensors, while often not being described as selfish, are described in more neutral light.

Also, Personality Page says about the ISTJ in the Personal Growth section that their dominant Si function leads them to have selfish, uncaring look-after-oneself tendencies, but none of the Intuitive types are described that way. Doesn't anyone think that Intuitive types can be just as selfish?

Yeah, all the descriptions for Ns are based on a best possible scenario where the S types are described as average slobs.

INTP: brilliant physicist, mathematician, theoretical something or other with a rich mental world.

ISTP: grease monkey who drives too fast.

Type descriptions are bullshit.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, all the descriptions for Ns are based on a best possible scenario where the S types are described as average slobs.

INTP: brilliant physicist, mathematician, theoretical something or other with a rich mental world.

ISTP: grease monkey who drives too fast.

Type descriptions are bullshit.

Consequently, I think it's an SJ who most likely has concern for the world -- such as global warming. Such viewpoints do seem to correspond to the Melancholic temperament. Concern for morality also seems more SJ than anything.

And I think the ISTP would probably make a better biologist than the INTP, since biology relies more on detailed observation. Mathematics, I think, are also the sole domain of Thinking and not Intuition, since math is about logical predictions -- what comes next in the pattern is Ti. Mathematics also involves detail work, which is Sensory oriented.

Precision in thought and language is primarily Ti, but I suspect it's also more Sensory-oriented, because precision, of course, involves attention to detail -- and that's exactly what the Intuitive, theoretically, is not good at.

That "grease monkey who drives too fast" analogy you made seems to correspond purely to Se -- the ISTP, I would imagine, would use better judgment than that.

EDIT: I do, however, tend to agree with Personality Page's description of Kid's Types.

sassafrassquatch

Consequently, I think it's an SJ who most likely has concern for the world -- such as global warming. Such viewpoints do seem to correspond to the Melancholic temperament. Concern for morality also seems more SJ than anything.

And I think the ISTP would probably make a better biologist than the INTP, since biology relies more on detailed observation. Mathematics, I think, are also the sole domain of Thinking and not Intuition, since math is about logical predictions -- what comes next in the pattern is Ti. Mathematics also involves detail work, which is Sensory oriented.

Precision in thought and language is primarily Ti, but I suspect it's also more Sensory-oriented, because precision, of course, involves attention to detail -- and that's exactly what the Intuitive, theoretically, is not good at.

That "grease monkey who drives too fast" analogy you made seems to correspond purely to Se -- the ISTP, I would imagine, would use better judgment than that.

EDIT: I do, however, tend to agree with Personality Page's description of Kid's Types.

I was just giving my impression of how type descriptions are unflattering towards S types.

How about this one? (Or has it been mentioned yet?)

No. Keirsey is a dumbass.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:banana: Never heard that one before, but it makes sense.

How about this one? (Or has it been mentioned yet?)
I don't like that one actually...it's short, overly vague, and doesn't really ring true with me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:banana: Never heard that one before, but it makes sense.

ISTP would probably make a better chemist as well, since that's more often sensory experiments. They'd probably also make better computer programmers; that's more detail work than anything.

As for Keirsey's ISTP description, the problem is that it only describes the Extraverted Sensation process. And this is true of all in the Artisan temperament. His original descriptions were good, though.

The best thing that Keirsey has done was his character sorter (not temperament sorter), which you can take at Advisor Team. I guess it's quite reliable in determining your type. And it's free, too.

When I turn to type descriptions, I turn to Berens -- they're eerily accurate.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it depends on how far the said Sensor is willing to delve into this. If they genuinely want to know their type, then I would give the same links I would give anyone:

Cracking the Personality Type Code

Take the MBTI Instrument - CAPT.org

Function Attitude

The DDLI Page

International Association for Analytical Psychology - Abstracts : Vol 6 : Psychological Types

For the typical person who just wants a quick overview and test, I'd suggest:

Free Jung Personality Test

Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

What do you think of those suggestions?

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, it depends on how far the said Sensor is willing to delve into this. If they genuinely want to know their type, then I would give the same links I would give anyone:

Oh, we figured out his type when we talked. :yes: There's no question he's an ISTP; neither of us doubted a single dimension. He mentioned he needs to learn about the typology in order to understand some people in his life better (he didn't go into details).

What do you think of those suggestions?

Too many links! Seeing so many, I don't think he would even click on one of them.

I've now mailed him the murraystate link that Randomnity recommended in post #2 and hinted that I'd appreciate feedback. I'll keep you posted. :)