• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] Changing into an ESTP?

R

Riva

OK lets say you were an INTP.

As an introvert why would you be so bothered by having few friends?

As an intuitive why would your daydreaming bother you at all?

What is more likely is you were a ESTP and it was your extraversion and Se that made you want to develop better social skills and awareness.

+100. :nice:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
wanna bet?

I'd rather race.

I think I could have some success forcing myself into ENFP... but I'm far too weak in the Se area to ever maintain a state of ESTP-ness.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was a kid, I talked alot and remember someone telling me once that I ask to many questions. I think for an ISTP when we are a kid we are forced to ask questions because we cant read and we dont see how things relate since we are S instead of N. For an ISTP we are very outgoing until we learn how to figure things out for ourselves and eventually our I really starts to show. ESTP may be the opposite and be very quite at first becoming more extrovert as they get older.

I dont think you were an INTP. I believe my niece is an INTP. She is not so big into asking questions. She seems to be able to see how things relate. She has taught herself how to read which sounds plausible since Ns notice how things relate they will pick up the relationship between sounds and letters. Ns can pickup theories on there own because theories is just how things relate and that is what Ne is. Ss on the other hand will end up asking how things relate instead of figuring it out on there own, but once they have an understanding of how things relate(Ni) they will be able to pick up the subtle differences in life and apply what they have learned to each situation. Its a give and take. Everything starts with theory or understanding, so an Ne has the upperhand at a younger age, but they will slow down when it comes to applying it where as an S will really take off once they get the theory down.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
As a kid before the age of of 13-14 I was defiantly not an ESTP. I used to avoid people and day dream! Yes thats right I was an INTP :yes:

I'd like to challenge those who think your MBTI type cannot change over time. I decided I didn't like who I was back then at all. I remember having very few friends...
You made a conscious effort to change your cognitive processes, ergo it’s not who you are naturally but what you have trained yourself to be. A person preferring a feeling function can learn to be more objective, a thinking type can learn to consider the human factor in matters, extraverts routinely realize the need to tone it down and introverts realize they must become more open in certain circumstances and so on.

The majority of us have a natural preference for particular functions no different than preferring right/left hand. However we can train ourselves to be ambidextrous and as Jung states up front there are no rare types, referring to someone preferring any single function 100% so being able to develop your other functions is expected per Myers-Briggs.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Everyone has weaknesses and strengths, people are going to develop and change how they interact with the world.

Why would being an INTP be unacceptable?

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Of course tyoes can change, though I think I have always been an ESTP.

Even from childhood, I mean, I my parents have told me how I always insisted getting my own way, and generally I did get my own way. I remember one story in which I deeply desired a hat and I simply refused to move from near the store and I put myself on the ground and started to yell, and finally they had to get it. Which is pretty much what I do these days, besides the yelling.

Maybe I was a little bit more introverted when smaller... I wasn't exactly popular, but still, I had a lot of acquaintances. As far as I can remember, besides mentally "growing up" there haven't been many changes in my personality.

I have had moments when I told myself I have to make some changes in my personality, however I think I simply refined the way I use functions, not changing my preferences. I don't know how to explain better, but even if I decided I didn't like who I was, eh, well I did like who I was, but not how others saw me and that was what had to be changed, not who I was. So saying that you have changed your personality... it might be true, but it could also be simply adjusting it to fit into the society, which is not exactly changing it.

Heh, I don't know if you understood what I was trying to say. Anyway, the point is that probably, deep at heart you probably never change :)), only at the outside, because that's how you want to be not how you are.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
"Introverted guy caught naked in the public." "In an interview to the police he claimed to be doing it all for his girlfriend, but as a professional psychologist of the police stated: the girlfriend does only exist in his mind"

I dont know, if I am extrovert or introvert. But I am most definitly pervert in my mind :D

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
As a kid before the age of of 13-14 I was defiantly not an ESTP. I used to avoid people and day dream! Yes thats right I was an INTP :yes:

I'd like to challenge those who think your MBTI type cannot change over time. I decided I didn't like who I was back then at all. I remember having very few friends...

So I stopped being that daydreamer that was constantly thinking of all sorts of random ideas, started living in the now, became more aware of my surroundings and finally started interacting more with people... and you know what.

ITS GREAT

Heres to being ESTP!
Luke

| E 60% | S 60% | T 90% | P 95% |

Well... maybe you were just an ESTP 'in hiding'

I once thought I was an ISFP :D

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Why would anyone want to change from INTP??
TiNe = intellectual superiority :D

besides.. just because I'm an introvert doesn't mean I don't have friends.
I was never popular or anything, but I've always had my circle of very good friends, and I don't have problems meeting people.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

I was never popular or anything, but I've always had my circle of very good friends, and I don't have problems meeting people.

Its the girls, its always the girls :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Because whats the point of learning if you cant figure out how to apply it. Kinda seems pointless to be intellectual and not know how to use it.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Because whats the point of learning if you cant figure out how to apply it. Kinda seems pointless to be intellectual and not know how to use it.

Blasphemer!

xx00oo00xx

MBTI Type
Ixxx

So I stopped being that daydreamer that was constantly thinking of all sorts of random ideas, started living in the now, became more aware of my surroundings and finally started interacting more with people... and you know what.

I think it is possible that all that daydreaming was your Ti function getting away on you, perhaps because it was developing faster than say, your Fe. Because you weren't satisfied with just thinking about things (being an ESTP), maybe your natural next step was to develop your Fe more and in doing so you ended up toning down the Ti and became more balanced (and happy). What do you think?

To be clear, I side with the idea that type is unchanging, that you were most likely always an ESTP, just that you developed in a way that put you in an INTP-like phase for a time.

But, maybe you really are an INTP and due to strong social pressure (perceived or real), you chose to work your Fe and Ne just to have fun doing more "normal" things. Or, maybe you aren't either of the types!

But anyways, it's good to know you're enjoying yourself.

P.S. Somebody let me know if this post is too long or wasn't appropriate -- sorry if it was.

Unique

I think it is possible that all that daydreaming was your Ti function getting away on you, perhaps because it was developing faster than say, your Fe. Because you weren't satisfied with just thinking about things (being an ESTP), maybe your natural next step was to develop your Fe more and in doing so you ended up toning down the Ti and became more balanced (and happy). What do you think?

To be clear, I side with the idea that type is unchanging, that you were most likely always an ESTP, just that you developed in a way that put you in an INTP-like phase for a time.

But, maybe you really are an INTP and due to strong social pressure (perceived or real), you chose to work your Fe and Ne just to have fun doing more "normal" things. Or, maybe you aren't either of the types!

But anyways, it's good to know you're enjoying yourself.

P.S. Somebody let me know if this post is too long or wasn't appropriate -- sorry if it was.

Well I wouldn't be quoting you if I didn't think this was a good post. In fact probably the best so far and I think you are defiantly on to something. However rather than Fe (tests show i have close to zero) I believe it was Se that was developed.

I now can see that my Ti was overdeveloped and Se underdeveloped at a younger age and that doesn't mean my type was different from ESTP.

Which makes sense because my percentages of S and E are much lower than that of my T

It goes to show that not everyone on the internet is stubborn ;) I've changed my mind on this and don't think I've changed from ESTP

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
I believe ya. I don't think dominant cognitive function stays constant for everyone.

I used to be an ISFJ for first 16 years of my life (yucks!), then ESFP for almost 2 years (awesome time!), then ENFP til now (up and down)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I wouldn't be quoting you if I didn't think this was a good post. In fact probably the best so far and I think you are defiantly on to something. However rather than Fe (tests show i have close to zero) I believe it was Se that was developed.

I now can see that my Ti was overdeveloped and Se underdeveloped at a younger age and that doesn't mean my type was different from ESTP.

Which makes sense because my percentages of S and E are much lower than that of my T

It goes to show that not everyone on the internet is stubborn ;) I've changed my mind on this and don't think I've changed from ESTP

This makes sense. My son I believe is ISTP, but he acts very ESTP right now. I think to feed our dominant we must first feed out auxilary. In order for an ISTP to understand how things work they must first experience alot of things. For an ESTP to experience they must first understand how things work. As an ESTP understand more they become more active while as an ISTP experiences more we become more introverted. Thats why I when I am at a new job I start out all gung ho and once I figure everything out just get bored and become introverted. Its like whats the point of experience when I can already do it.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

But then this makes you Ti, not Se dominant, doesn't it? We develop our lesser functions. Our dominant function comes naturally, ergo no real need to develop. We develop our auxilary and other functions to create balance.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Two questions, can you daydream with Ti since for all purposes it is a present oriented function? Si and Ni go into the past or future. And if you are daydreaming would that not mean you're somewhere other than the present? Otherwise you really not daydreaming at all, but in deep thought. Also, if you tone down your auxilary then I would think that you create greater imbalance. I am not even sure that I can tone down my dominant function Ti instead would my Se for balance. Even if I could tone down my dominant function an ESTP would then tone down Se and develop Ti and an ISTP would tone down the Ti and and develops the Se. Otherwise you are describing ISTP from what I am reading.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Two questions, can you daydream with Ti since for all purposes it is a present oriented function? Si and Ni go into the past or future. And if you are daydreaming would that not mean you're somewhere other than the present? Otherwise you really not daydreaming at all, but in deep thought. Also, if you tone down your auxilary then I would think that you create greater imbalance. I am not even sure that I can tone down my dominant function Ti instead would my Se for balance. Even if I could tone down my dominant function an ESTP would then tone down Se and develop Ti and an ISTP would tone down the Ti and and develops the Se. Otherwise you are describing ISTP from what I am reading.

Ti isn't a present oriented function. At least not for me. Its atemporal. Probably for STPs it can seem present oriented because its getting information from Se, while for NTPs it wouldn't be.