• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] cockiness and xstps!

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I'll come right out and say it, based on the description, I'm quite cocky with some things I'm good at.

I'm well-known for being "cocky" about my skiing, talking about jumping off cliffs, and seeing how fast I can possibly go, when I'm having conversations about it.....then people are surprised that I wasn't making up shit when they're actually with me and they see me do it?

Millerm277 it was brash. But was it in the eye of the beholder? I got rid of it to keep the peace. Mostly bull - inebriated. Come from a different forum type. Wink.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Yeah, I'm usually very respective to criticism even if I pass it off at first. If he ignores your arguments, chances are he heard them and just needs time to think it over. Just before going to sleep is always good, I take forever to get to sleep most nights because I'm just thinking about all the important things that happened. One of the reasons that quiet days are nice some times.:shock:

Or naps.

Helpful. I'll try napping tomorrow - it's warm and I'm going biking.

Last edited:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Self-confidence is healthy. Cockiness is projecting that confidence outwardly to draw attention to it. To me, cockiness stems from a need/desire of others to realize your "self-confidence", but in actuality stems from a lack of self-confidence.

Self-confidence is knowing you're amazing without needing to have anyone tell you so.

I agree with this entire statement, especially the bolded part. Cockiness definitely has something to do with insecurity.

I've been labeled arrogant and lack humility. But I would not say I'm cocky. That's a negative trait.

And to answer the original question, no I don't think cockiness has anything to do with type.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love the xSTP cockiness! I would not have them any other way.

D

Dali

I agree with this entire statement, especially the bolded part. Cockiness definitely has something to do with insecurity.

I've been labeled arrogant and lack humility. But I would not say I'm cocky. That's a negative trait.

And to answer the original question, no I don't think cockiness has anything to do with type.

That counts as cocky in most people's books.

I have 3 STP brothers, an STP dad and and a former STP flatmate. They all ooze cocky. I veer between loving their cockiness and wanting to rip their heads off.

IMO, the STP brand of cockiness definitely does not spring from insecurity.

phoenity

Well I think I was originally looking at it from a different perspective. There is a huge difference between cockiness people consciously project (which could stem from insecurity) and cockiness that is perceived by other people.

Looking from the other side of the fence, and being an STP, I know there are some things that I do all the time and enjoy being damn good at. I can see how my skill-mastery (more importantly how that mastery makes me feel) can be perceived as showy, cocky, arrogant, etc. But if people misunderstand me well that's just too bad :)

So certainly, cockiness perceived by others could just be a personality trait

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Self-confidence is healthy. Cockiness is projecting that confidence outwardly to draw attention to it. To me, cockiness stems from a need/desire of others to realize your "self-confidence", but in actuality stems from a lack of self-confidence.

I'd say cockiness is a trait of immature STPs. He'll learn - we all do.
You seem to be describing what Dave Kelly has coined as "Compensatory Narcissism", which as you may see is the personality disorder for his "Inventive" type, which as you will see he equates to being ENTP. However I cannot dismiss that I was cocky when you younger.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
No. He is fairly good at more or less everything. But only good. I'm better than him at a few things like maths, chemistry and stuff like that but he is good at mostly everything in life.
But he always has been but he hasn't always been cocky.

I think it's problem to you because many NT's value competence the most and you seem to want to compare him with your own skills. ;)

It's not necessarily that he is cocky, it might be just that he has strong personality and a good self esteem. So, his inner strenght can look like cockiness for people who aren't similar.

Well I think I was originally looking at it from a different perspective. There is a huge difference between cockiness people consciously project (which could stem from insecurity) and cockiness that is perceived by other people.

Excactly what I meant!

Last edited:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh...:shock:
What's the interest of goodness and victory if we can't be cocky about it?:D

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think it's problem to you because many NT's value competence the most and you seem to want to compare him with your own skills. ;)

It's not necessarily that he is cocky, it might be just that he has strong personality and a good self esteem. So, his inner strengt can look like cockiness for people who aren't similar.

Excactly what I meant!

Actually i wanted to deflate him for my (and his) best mates good who is ESFP and hates his cockiness as the ISTP keeps comparing how he is better to the ESFP and he hates it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually i wanted to deflate him for my (and his) best mates good who is ESFP and hates his cockiness as the ISTP keeps comparing how he is better to the ESFP and he hates it.

I can become very cocky around certain people. My cousin is very cocky so I naturally have to put him in his place. Im not sure if its an ISTP trait but I have an ability to make things look easy. I am very confident in my abilities and can see how it comes across as cocky. I do show off to show what I can do, but in no way mean to come across as better than someone else. Its not my fault im so good:newwink:

Hunter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Heh, I can get very cocky...Although, I generally don't get cocky unless I know I'm gonna prove myself right...meaning, if someone's gonna show me up and I know it, I keep my mouth shut.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Its not my fault im so good:newwink:

Hehe. Sounds very ISTP'ish for me.
I mean, Ive heard this quite many times over last 14 years...

Being cocky and being proud of it. Not so NF'ish. :smile:

The other thing what I've heard is that
I'm right and even if I'm wrong, I'm still right.

That makes me a bit amused. I mean, lol.