• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] How does an ESFP keep a schedule and stick to routines?

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
This is not my strong point, to stay organized.
i love to START things - projects, mainly of artistic nature.
But many things in life beg for structure, as my NTJ parents stress time and time again. I see their point, and at times i do feel at ease when i have been doing something consistently (working out, etc) but eventually i forget, or lose interest.

How do i stick to something?? How do you SP's handle routine?
Even simple things like brushing your teeth twice a day or working out -

I'd like to know.

wolfy

awsm
The best thing to use is the GTD Getting Thing Done system. It's flexible and you don't feel tied down to a piece of paper.
Worked for me anyway.

There's heaps of resources online about it. Just google Getting Things Done.
Here's wikipedia to get you started.

Last edited:

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Funny you mention working out. My roommate of a few weeks ago, also an ESFP, was a workout fiend. While that may be an interesting coincidence, I have some advice which may help, using him as an example so read on. He wasn't all that organized when it came to a lot of things (laundry for one), but he always managed to stick to his workout plans. I'm talking supplements, sets, reps, specific lifts, long term weight and diet changes, the whole nine yards.

To stick to his goals he:
- was really passionate about his goals.
I suspect that passion will motivate all types, but with SPs (I'm also one - ISTP) I think we have to have the goal, whatever it is, somehow right in front of us. Not abstract. You mentioned that you forgot or lost interest...why? Was the goal no longer in front of you/on your mind? To get really motivated, I think SPs need to immerse themselves in whatever it is.

Using my roomie and as an example, sure enough, he immersed himself in working out. He's a nutrition/health major for one, so exercise was likely never far from his mind. Also, in his spare time he'd be spending time on the bodybuilding forums. Not all of this was time spent doing serious research, just time looking around at stuff related to the topic. While you're not doing the activity, find jokes, stories or whatever keeps your mind thinking about the goal at hand.

He also saturated the area where he spent a lot of time - his desk, with notes, reminders, and calendars. None of this was really all that organized, just a jumble of hand written notes. But every time he looked up from playing video games or whatever, there were his goals. Little doubt that having that right in front of him was useful to keep him on track.

So to summarize: immerse and saturate. Alter your physical environment so it's not possible for you to forget your goals.

Sorry kinda long. Maybe that helps?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wait for some Te to develop.

But yea. I used to have the same problem. (I guess I still do, in a way, but work around it better.) I do have a dayplanner which I try to follow. I find writing things down makes me feel more in control of my life, and if they don't get done at the right time, its okay, as long as I can be reminded that they need to get done eventually.
The biggest thing is that I don't beat myself up anymore if I don't stick exactly to schedule like the people around me, since I know that this kind of thing will really make me tired in the end. Instead I do the best I can, and try to get the most work possible done during energy spurts/ or times when I'm feeling more serious. If that means 2 in the morning, then that's what it means. The world around you still isn't going to accept it very well, since people like predictability. But who cares really as long as things are getting done.
And as far as micromanaging your schedule, (trying to work out at the same time, brush your teeth twice a day, take your multivitamin every day, drink 8 glasses of water), well. I try to keep them in mind. But it becomes very frustrating after a while if I try to stick strictly to things. So, again. Just kind of keep them in mind but don't beat yourself up if things don't go exactly the way you want them to. Its more fun this way anyways. :)

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Yeah, routine sucks.
Not even working out helps. I had a bright, wonderful plan to start working out so that I look better. I did regularly work out... for about 3 days. It was much better to actually pay for it, since I felt like wasting money if not going. But I ended up abandoning it, because most of the times I was not in the mood I didn't go.

This is just a mere example of how routine stuff cannot work for me.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know any ESFPs, but what works for me (sometimes, if I really want it to) is picking one habit, nothing huge or anything, but let's say brushing your teeth every morning, and then doing it every morning for a few weeks, even if I don't feel like it and try to make excuses. then IF you manage to get through that it's pretty easy to keep doing it.

Can't say it works well, but a lot better than anything else I've tried. Oh yeah, if it's something not too personal you can tell your roommates/friends so they can harass you if you get lazy. That might help too.

Oh and for working out, I signed up for a kung fu class, so I pay for 10 classes whether or not I go...tends to make me more likely to go.

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Thanks for the help, guys.

As for having friends remind me? I only get offended and frustrated when reminded, even though they're only telling me what i've asked of them.

Yeah, gotta start small...

More advice would be appreciated.

Unique

why do you need a routine? just do things whenever is the best time to do them

it saves a lot of time too cause Ps often get to knock out 2 birds with 1 stone

sif try to turn J and do things the slow way ;)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I only adhere to routines out of necessity (job schedule) but push the boundaries of the bubble whenever I can, and usually end up creating a working arrangement for all.

I do all that I HAVE TO DO with vigor so I can get it over with and move on to the things I WANT TO DO. Is that helpful at all?

Regarding working out, I absolutely love it. I am thankful for any chance I get to go the gym and go nuts. Its one of the only pure physical releases that is available in this world that is risk free of prosecution.

Here's my "Mighty Thor" costume from this past Hallwoeen:

Thor_01.jpg

If a routine is forced onto us (SP) that is not of our choosing OR not of our liking then we will get ultimately pissed at some point and wheel and deal our way out of it.

The worst routine I ever had forced on me was Sunday School as a kid: BLECH!

;)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That Thor costume is awesome.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow! Thanks for the kudos!
It was alot of fun to put that costume together.

It's all actually hodgepodged together, but the Marvel Comics replica Thor helmet and hammer give the rest authenticity.

The boots are Thor motor cross boots, (They were hard as hell to walk in!)
The belt is actually Batman's,
The cape is a cheap red vampire cape,
The chest plate is actually a Roman centurion bit of kit,
And I got the leather wrist bands from a bondage vendor on eBAY, no kidding!
And the, uh, tights, are, ummm, a Speedo.

:doh:

When you are dressed like a barbarian on Halloween you can get away with all kinds of misbehavior, Hah!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
sigh. well there goes my seeking advice idea.

Aww how cute. :hug:

I don't know really know any solid advice to tell you, but do you take your mobile phone everywhere with you and are you on the computer a lot? If so, then maybe you could get one of those PDA phones. I've used one for years now and I'm completely dependent on it. It's like breathing air to me now. It started out slow with it but now I put everything in there (like for this hour it says "Post on Typologyc"... kidding!) Anyways I'm totally lost without it and it alarms when I have something to do.

As for keeping interest/motivation, that's a tough one. I'm lost on that one. Maybe you should seriously date an xSTJ and they'll help motivate you into a routine.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK, inadvertant hijack on my part, please excuse my recklessness.

Advice on how to stick to a routine. Let's borrow from top down analysis and design.
Any large project can be broken down into smaller subcomponents as long as the relative importance and inter-relation of each is maintained and understood.

For instance, we have a calendar year. There are certain one day events (Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc.) that are dispersed throughout but adhered to by all.

Really, the most relative units of time are the MONTH and WEEK, IMHO.

Each month we have four weeks, and hence four weekends. Weeks are for work, weekends for fun, more or less.

Then you have work week tasks (e.g. employment related, school, shopping, cooking, cleaning house, working out, etc.) AND then weekend tasks (Chill out by pool, drink beer, play pool, jam music, travel, etc.)

SO, if you can master a single week, then a month is sure to follow upon 4 consecutive executions of the week. Now, it's hard (for me anyway) to run twelve consecutive months) as a product of succesfful weeks, so I go by QUARTERS. Jan - Mar; Apr - Jun, Jul -Sep, Oct -Dec. This way I know in a snapshot what events other than weekly grind are on the horizon and must be planned for in some capacity.

Also, I put EVERYTHING in my MS Outlook calendar, personal, work, school, etc., and can refer to it whenever, and I get a little pop-up reminder for each task to remind me to quit being ADHD and surfing the Internet while eating a snack and doing my homework... ;)

I hope this is helpful in some way!

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Aww how cute. :hug:

As for keeping interest/motivation, that's a tough one. I'm lost on that one. Maybe you should seriously date an xSTJ and they'll help motivate you into a routine.

i AM dating an ISTJ. he's motivation enough, as all boyfriends are at one point or another.

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
OK, inadvertant hijack on my part, please excuse my recklessness.

Advice on how to stick to a routine. Let's borrow from top down analysis and design.
Any large project can be broken down into smaller subcomponents as long as the relative importance and inter-relation of each is maintained and understood.

For instance, we have a calendar year. There are certain one day events (Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc.) that are dispersed throughout but adhered to by all.

Really, the most relative units of time are the MONTH and WEEK, IMHO.

Each month we have four weeks, and hence four weekends. Weeks are for work, weekends for fun, more or less.

Then you have work week tasks (e.g. employment related, school, shopping, cooking, cleaning house, working out, etc.) AND then weekend tasks (Chill out by pool, drink beer, play pool, jam music, travel, etc.)

SO, if you can master a single week, then a month is sure to follow upon 4 consecutive executions of the week. Now, it's hard (for me anyway) to run twelve consecutive months) as a product of succesfful weeks, so I go by QUARTERS. Jan - Mar; Apr - Jun, Jul -Sep, Oct -Dec. This way I know in a snapshot what events other than weekly grind are on the horizon and must be planned for in some capacity.

Also, I put EVERYTHING in my MS Outlook calendar, personal, work, school, etc., and can refer to it whenever, and I get a little pop-up reminder for each task to remind me to quit being ADHD and surfing the Internet while eating a snack and doing my homework... ;)

I hope this is helpful in some way!

helpful, and seems relatively OCD... crazy. i'd have to try it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
helpful, and seems relatively OCD... crazy. i'd have to try it.

Hey! Glad you maybe got something out of that.
Remember, OCD is a disposition, its not always a disorder.
The benefit of being OCD about organization is that you create a PROCESS.

Once you create your own organizational process, and use it for a few weeks, you will begin to reap its benefits as you will naturally be stuffing your reality into a logical ordered reference kit. You just do it, you don't have to think about it.

Now I am mega over-organized. I made a MS Excel worksheet that has all my contacts, their cell phones, and their addresses/e-mail info. When my cell phone dies, no problem, I have a paper back up. It's come in handy a number of times.

For me organization is a tool to assist me in overcoming being scatter brained by default.

:)