• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] An SP in a house full of Ns.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oooh! I do have a small fuzzy hound and he does hate her (but not nearly as much as he hates the ISTP).

Score! :D

Hilariously enough, they almost broke up today and as it turns out, the ISTP is super controlling, going so far as to basically picking out her clothes for her, insisting that she wear makeup at all times and complaining when she doesn't shave her legs (Winter, in Brooklyn! She's allowed to not shave her legs once in a while!).

Is this an incredibly unhealthy example of some kind of ISTP behaviour or is this guy just a dick to his girlfriend? Do ISTPs find themselves being controlling (though I doubt any of you express it in ways as douchey as this!) to their SOs?

(I'm not accusing, I'm just curious!)

That sounds so strange. My experience with ISTPs, even when being jackasses, rarely give a darn about make-up or clothes. And as to shaving her legs, boyfriend needs to be forced to try it sometime. Outside. In a snowpile.

When an ISTP goes bad, it's mostly a mental/cerebral thing - like everyone becomes "stupid" or intolerable. Ti goes into overdrive, takes on superiority.

Um, he's just an ass. We (or at least me), are some of the least controlling people around generally. I give others the freedom to do as they want, and expect the same in return....that's really it.

Seriously. Sometimes, it's just a jerk, not a type.

Not to aim hateration at ISTJs, but could he possibly be an unhealthy ISTJ? This-that, black-white, on-off, etc sounds pretty J to me.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
My roomate has recently moved her ISTP boyfriend into the house. She's not in great standing in the house and we've never particularly liked her boyfriend but he lives here now and I feel I should make an effort. As an ENFP, though I can be too exuberant and overbearing. I really want to make friends with this ISTP but I'm worried that he thinks I'm flaky and stupid. Everyone in this house is a sci-fi/comic book nerd and he has shown nothing but disdain for our interests and our goals. I have no idea how to show him that we are competent, good natured people. He cuts short every conversation I have with him and frequently criticises me and the other roomates about our life choices.

What is the best way to make my new ISTP roomate comfortable? How do I befriend him without scaring him off with my NF excitement? I've never actually had any S type friends so I really don't know how to relate to him.

ISTPs, how do you make friends? Am I maybe misinterpreting his actions as judgemental or standoffish when he really has other intentions?

I just want to say that I was so happy to find an ENFP in my new house - you're highly talented in this area. He may not know how to react to you, he may not feel like he needs more friends than the girlfriend (and thus wants you to leave him alone) or he may be an ass...GL! Oh and say something back when he criticises you - preferably something sarcastic. :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK, I'm not going to play expert, but here's a random comment from an ESTP that's new to this board.

Me personally, I have had difficulty relating to some introverts in the past, regardless of their Ixyz, simply because I am loud, animated, talk fast, and hyper. (But I am VERY good natured and friendly despite all this!). Once it becomes apparent that I am not a psycho asshole, things usually go fine, but some "I" folks just don't relate to someone as polar opposite as them real well, which is fine, no harm no foul.

On the other hand, despite relating to extroverts fairly easily all around, there are times when I have accidentally pissed one off (all friends of mine) quite unintentionally, and I can't help but think that here's where the eXYZ business supersedes extroversion in general.

Bottom line, is you seem to be good natured in your efforts and are trying and that alone is commendable. If you don't make ground with someone after a sincere effort like that then just defer to common courteousy and see what happens. So long as everyone minds their manners all will be OK, right?

Good luck! :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you don't make ground with someone after a sincere effort like that then just defer to common courteousy and see what happens. So long as everyone minds their manners all will be OK, right?

Good luck! :)

Indeed!

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Maybe he is an ISTJ! He tested as an ISTP and I always just took his word for it but the test ain't often accurate.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe he is an ISTJ! He tested as an ISTP and I always just took his word for it but the test ain't often accurate.

Maybe so. From my limited experience in MBTI delvings, I have experienced some pretty heinous conflicts at the hand of "J's" that they got real worked up over and I was baffled and tried real hard not to get irritated.

Is there something to J's being control freaks? If so it can be a real pain in the ass. I'm really into the whole "SP" free spirit thing.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Um, he's just an ass. We (or at least me), are some of the least controlling people around generally. I give others the freedom to do as they want, and expect the same in return....that's really it.

That's what I've observed of ISTPs as well.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I tried to understand the WoW thing because I play D and D but he thinks all D and D players are incredibly lame and should upgrade to WoW. Then the conversation is over.

LOL.

I can really believe you are a house of comic fans but why wouldn't this kid fit in? I feel like it's a showdown at a sci-fi convention between star trek fans and star wars fans. And Battlestar Galactica (classic and new) would be in there somewhere, too.

Tiny Army, just curious, but do you really feel you are overbearing? Why do you want so much to befriend him or get on his good side?

I am cool with most folks IRL, however, I do not go out of my way to be cool with people I am not drawn to or personally interested in. This includes roommates, coworkers, etc. I'm cordial and even friendly, but I don't try to befriend people if I don't feel a natural inclination. I only do it if I am genuinely interested in them. Otherwise, I feel fake and don't even want to bother. And if I don't like you, I may try to be cordial, but I think it's fine to dislike people. You can still dislike people and function well together in a group.

The only exception where I would go out of my way to make someone feel welcome is a friend's relative or significant other, which I have done even as recently as last week. And even then I would only go so far and stay contextually appropriate. Or perhaps if I felt was in a bad spot and needed a friend, if only for that moment.

It sounds like you've already done your job and nothing further is really necessary. In fact, you'd be well within reason to take your efforts down a notch, or three. He may actually warm up to you once you stop approaching him so so much.

I guess I'm just interested to understand more of where you're coming from on this.

PS I know your av is Big Barda. Do I win points? :)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

Oh man, why didn't you say so?

ISTJs are really hard to live with, btw. But not for the reaons you stated. They are not necessarily unfriendly or asocial.

From what I've read and gleaned from this board, ISTJ's and ISTPs are verrrrry different.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Although I doubt Batman could save us from aliens.

It's called OMAC/ReMAC, people. Come on

I suppose befriending her boyfriend was my bizarro way of proving to myself that she wasn't all bad. I had blamed him for my relationship with the ENTJ gf going sour for a long time, but ever since we've gotten to know each other better I have come to a conclusion that the charismatic and spunky girl I made friends with almost four years ago was just a well cultivated cover for the bully I live with now.

I honestly think you did what you always do...you saw the fact that you couldn't be friends with him not as an excuse, but as a challenge.

As someone who talks with this dude every day, I can definitely weigh in on the ISTJ/ISTP thing, not necessarily by functions (although that seems to be proof in oh so much pudding) but I mean additionally, observations indicate that:

a.) he defines his affections for people by figuring out material things/goods that people like or need, and then providing those for them. Tiny might be failing to mention this potentially, but the way he kind of "announced" his arrival at our house was by bringing all kinds of things that he had observed us talking about having, but not having, like some extra silverware, some different types of food and stuff that he knew we had liked from talking to us, and I think some like, pots and pans too. All incredibly practical shit.

b.) he strives for efficiency on the level of our household. I've had a conversation with him like 8 times on the issue of our trash and how to make it cleaner and more efficient. I often find myself at the same point with him, trying to waylay his fears about any given current mess or inefficiency with promises of plans and solutions to come....once I have the money. Also when you talk to him, he is a virtual encyclopedia of medical facts about the body and how to keep it healthy. He can tell you basically everything in your kitchen that can potentially give you cancer, and exactly how.

I'm N-type enough that when someone does that much for me for no reason, I tend to take it automatically as "Oh, so you're insinuating that I am inefficient eh? Well fuck you!" so at first, I didn't really get along with him either. Plus his sexist ideas and theories like, can really mess with my head in terms of being annoying like a mosquito in a conversation.

Now I basically just leave him be and that kind of...works out.

LOL.

I can really believe you are a house of comic fans but why wouldn't this kid fit in? I feel like it's a showdown at a sci-fi convention between star trek fans and star wars fans. And Battlestar Galactica (classic and new) would be in there somewhere, too.

You'd think this, but remember the WoW and Halo act as transcendent icons in gaming culture. They are to games what myspace was to the internet, in that they have developed a culture to allow people who have no nerd-like qualities to compete and win in a nerd's world (video games, the internet). Our IST-whatever is in THIS cross section of WoW gamers, i.e. body builders who think Lord of the Rings is for wussies, and posit that "it's all in the arena" or somesuch thing. I'm willing to bet if you quizzed him on either Alliance or the Horde plotlines and story development, he would honestly not be able to tell you key points of the story.

hope the information helps!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm willing to bet if you quizzed him on either Alliance or the Horde plotlines and story development, he would honestly not be able to tell you key points of the story.

hope the information helps!

a and b sound like me.

There was a point to halo other than KILL? Next your gonna tell me gears of war had a story also and that GTA had a point other than a free roaming town to do whatever you want.

phoenity

I'm willing to bet if you quizzed him on either Alliance or the Horde plotlines and story development, he would honestly not be able to tell you key points of the story.

Even if I took the time to understand the storyline, the gameplay would still be monotonous and unchallenging, and that's the biggest point.

Not surprisingly, 100% agreement with Poki :)

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
LOL

the most distressing part of it for an N type isn't your responses, but realizing that GTA actually doesn't have a plot that is anything more than just running around and shooting

I suppose I would've surmised that the need or drive to create efficiency is evidence of a J, but I haven't done an amazing amount of thought on it.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is this an incredibly unhealthy example of some kind of ISTP behaviour or is this guy just a dick to his girlfriend? Do ISTPs find themselves being controlling (though I doubt any of you express it in ways as douchey as this!) to their SOs?

(I'm not accusing, I'm just curious!)

I'd say the controlling aspect isn't healthy ISTP behavior, but the preference is within spec.

ISTP boyfriend of an INFJ friend was kind of the same way. He liked Asian girls that wore skirts, makeup, and dyed their hair. While my friend as Asian, she didn't do any of the other things. However, she was very intelligent and successful, so he gave her a shot anyway.

He did harass her about it, but also never tried to force her to be anything she wasn't. He eventually admitted that 'it fit her personality', and while it was still sometimes an issue last time I talked, it was better.

However, another ISTP friend couldn't care less. He sometimes wishes his wife didn't put as much effort into being 'artificially' pretty, as he likes her the way she is.

Based on what you said about this ENTJ, seems likely she's got someone that she deserves.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL

the most distressing part of it for an N type isn't your responses, but realizing that GTA actually doesn't have a plot that is anything more than just running around and shooting

I suppose I would've surmised that the need or drive to create efficiency is evidence of a J, but I haven't done an amazing amount of thought on it.

GTA has missions, I play it just to see what jumps I can take, how many cops I can get after me, how long I can last in a locked city evading the swat team. Just shooting people is boring. I mean there all just sitting there walking down the street. We like challenges.

We do strive for efficiency on things we dont like doing or are not good at. I try to be efficient to save time, not to try and lessen my work. The more efficient the more time I have to do whatever I want which may be nothing.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No offense, but who cares if he doesn't like the same things you do? You all have to live with him, not share your inner souls using a similar emotional/thematic vocabulary.

As a total fangirl myself, it *is* easier to speak to someone who communicates in that same manner, but it doesn't necessarily speak to one's value or meaning or essense as a person.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I have an archetypal ISTP friend who tests out ISTJ. I think it has everything to do with his well-honed decision making abilities - that seems J on the surface, but isn't.

Brouhaha

MBTI Type
ISTP

For serious? That's really lame! I'd never played any of the subsequent Warcraft games until I played WoW, but the history was important. I mean, just to know. That way when I'm doing a quest or I'm in an area I just know. You know? Your ISTP is lame. You can tell him I said so.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'd say the controlling aspect isn't healthy ISTP behavior, but the preference is within spec.

It is...? I can't think of a type that is less controlling, as a whole. Except in some reversal of being controlled, because we are also the type that probably hates being controlled the most.