• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs Can Be Successful In Any Career:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
It never fails that I read something where a SP has turned to Myers-Briggs to help them in some immediate dire need. Generally it’s a question of what direction they may consider career-wise based on being one of the SP types. I don’t know whether this helps, but I am listing some qualities that many may already know of themselves or have read in other places. When we lock ourselves into trying to match up with particular jobs, I think it results in the one thing that SP types fear most in having their freedom hindered. So I think it necessary to reverse the order and look at our skills set that most will have in common in being ESTP, ESFP, ISTP or ISFP:
ESTP Personality Outgoing, Straight-Shooting Doers!

ESTP personalitythe ultimate realist! Enthusiastic and excitable, you are "doers" who live in the world of action. Blunt, straight-forward risk-takers, you are willing to plunge right into things and get their hands dirty. You live in the here-and-now, and place little importance on introspection or theory. You look at the facts of a situation, quickly decide what should be done, execute the action, and move on to the next thing. These are a few of the ESTP factors making up your list of personality traits you can use to find a career fit that is a natural!!

Extraverted with Sensing, Thinking and Perception your career personality profile would include the following natural tendencies among others:

• Breadth of interests
• Reliance upon facts
• Use of logic and analysis
• Adaptability
• Grounding in realism
• Natural active curiosity
• Friendliness
• Flexibility and tolerance

There are more natural traits making up your self personality profile but those above indicate a natural ability for careers that may have some interpersonal conflict, objective and analytical problem solving, and skilled negotiating. In addition careers requiring ongoing practical adaptation to changing environment/circumstances attract because your type are natural trouble-shooters. Your analytical skills are used on the facts of a situation; therefore you are very good at making use of available resources.

The ESTP personality type will move naturally towards careers allowing you to meet and interact spontaneously with many people; offering something different every day, and is fun. Careers that let you use your ability to search for solutions to problems, using first-hand experience and then critically analyzing these solutions to find the best ones. Also, careers that let you respond to unplanned situations, using unconventional approaches, where you can skillfully negotiate satisfactory solutions, you are a natural for; also, careers that involve real people and things, not theories or ideas; where your efforts are directed to producing a tangible product or service, you will enjoy!
ESFP Personality Fun-Loving and Enthusiastic!

ESFP personality you thrive in the world of people possibilities. You love people and new experiences; lively and fun-loving, you enjoy being the center of attention. You live in the here-and-now, and relish excitement and drama in your life. You have very strong inter-personal skills, and may find yourself in the role of the peacemaker often. Since you make decisions by using your personal values, you are usually very sympathetic and concerned for other people's well-being. You are usually quite generous and warm, and are very observant about other people, and seem to sense what is wrong with someone before others might, responding warmly with a solution to a practical need. You may not be the best advice-givers in the world, because you dislike theory and future-planning, but you are great for giving practical care. These are just some of the ESFP factors that make up your list of personality traits you can use to find a career that is a natural fit!

Extraverted with Sensing, Feeling and Perception your career personality profile would include the following natural tendencies among others:

• Reliance upon facts
• Breadth of interests
• Warmth and sympathy (emphasis on relationships)
• Adaptability
• Enthusiasm
• Attention to detail
• Grounding in realism
• Active curiosity

There are more natural traits making up ESFP self personality profile but those above indicate a natural ability for careers calling upon your very strong inter-personal skills, uncommon sympathy for others, natural peacemaking ability, powers of observation and cooperation. ESFP is often drawn to any career that requires you to meet, work with, or entertain people. You may also have an attraction to careers requiring a flair for the aesthetic and you can be skilled at jobs that involve designing, molding or shaping things in a hands-on way.

The ESFP personality type will move naturally towards careers that allow you to get personally involved in the tasks at hand, working directly with clients or customers, out in the field rather than away from the action. Also, you will be a natural for careers requiring the skillful handling of people and conflicts, the ability to ease tensions to help groups work more cooperatively, and the ability to motivate others. In addition, work that lets you interact throughout the workday with other easygoing and social people who share your enthusiasm, energy, and realistic point of view you will probably find naturally rewarding!
ISTP Personality the Adventuresome, Analytical Problem Solvers!

ISTP personality is fiercely independent and must have the space to make their decisions about what comes next. Loyal to causes and beliefs they are firm believers that people should be treated with equity and fairness. Action oriented, spontaneous, adaptable, they avoid making judgments based upon personal values, these are some of the ISTP factors that comprise your list of personality traits you can use to find a career that is a natural fit.

Introverted with Sensing, Thinking and Perception your career personality profile would include the following natural tendencies:

• Depth of concentration
• Natural reliance upon facts
• Use of logic and analysis
• Great adaptability
• Willingness to critically analyze facts
• Pragmatic approach to problem solving
• Keen powers of observation
• Love of adventure

There are more natural traits making up your self personality profile but those above indicate a natural ability for careers that demand a tough minded analytical and realistic approach. Many are related to building and production, while others involve providing direct delivery of technically oriented services.

The ISTP personality type will move naturally towards careers that let you apply your understanding and technical knowledge of the world around you and see the logical principles underlying your work; lets you engage in troubleshooting and problem solving. Work that is fun and active and lets you work independently with frequent opportunities to get out of your workspace and be outdoors. Work that lets you work independently, with a minimum of supervision, and where you are not required to closely supervise others; to name just a few.
ISFP Personality the Natural Artists!

ISFP personality has an extremely well-developed ability to appreciate aesthetic qualities. You have passionate and intense feelings. You are very quick-witted and spatial in your thinking. You are probably more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with your soul than others. Also you are usually good listeners who genuinely want to hear about someone's problems, and genuinely want to help them. These are just some of the ISFP factors that comprise your list of personality traits you can use to find a career that is a natural fit.

Introverted with Sensing, Feeling and Perception your career personality profile would include the following natural tendencies:

• Warmth and sympathy (emphasis on interpersonal values)
• Adaptability
• Realistic grounding
• Great depth of feeling
• Very personal approach to life
• Idealism
• Sense of aesthetics
• Keen sense of detail

There are more natural traits making up your self personality profile but those above indicate a natural ability for careers where you help others in a very pragmatic way. You naturally communicate kindness in a ways that make you exceptional candidates for working with people in need, children or animals. Your idealism and deep feeling make you particularly sensitive to the suffering of others.

The ISFP personality type will move naturally towards careers that let you be consistent with your strong, inner values, and is something you care deeply about and want to contribute your energy and talents to; work that is done with others in a supportive and affirming climate where you are a loyal and cooperative member of a team. In addition, work that gives you freedom to work independently but nearby other compatible and courteous people, and where you don’t feel restricted by excessive rules, structure, or inflexible operating procedures, you will gravitate towards.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
I don't think that type should tell anyone what career to follow. I think it's more importantto follow your heart. And besides, there are only 16 types. All the careers in the world cannot be divided just between 16 types.

Basically, I believe that you can be successful in any career, no matter your type.

I don't know if my post is of any relevance to this topic, however that's what I had to say.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think that type should tell anyone what career to follow.

disagree, I work in the tech industry, and used to be a huge MBTI skeptic, thought it was psychobabble bs, but over a time came to see that type is better predictor of job fit than IQ, school attended, or any other measure

for example, my type - entp - make terrible tax accountants even with good grades, good schooling, etc, similarly I've seen many estjs struggle in strategic positions where we don't provide much structure while the entps do best there, estps dominate sales engineering, they also tend to be high achievers, while entps often underachieve

always make sure we see individual strengths, because there are always a few people who don't conform to type, but without any push from the company NTs own product marketing, strategy, and the exec office suite, STPs sales engineering, SJs accounting, Is engineering, and Fs sales, hr, and pr

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
Also should point out how smart people of any type learn to complement each other. We had an ESFP woman who was fun, friendly, and popular with her employees, who was promoted to a high-level mktg position that required a lot of product knowledge, which she really didn't have. Smartly, she pulled in a tech curious ENTP as her right hand man who taught her all she needed to know about technology and strategy, and she was very effective in a position traditionally held by NTs. Was a sad day when she left the company.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm. that could be a good thread idea.
does your mbti type match your current career.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
disagree, I work in the tech industry, and used to be a huge MBTI skeptic, thought it was psychobabble bs, but over a time came to see that type is better predictor of job fit than IQ, school attended, or any other measure

for example, my type - entp - make terrible tax accountants even with good grades, good schooling, etc, similarly I've seen many estjs struggle in strategic positions where we don't provide much structure while the entps do best there, estps dominate sales engineering, they also tend to be high achievers, while entps often underachieve

always make sure we see individual strengths, because there are always a few people who don't conform to type, but without any push from the company NTs own product marketing, strategy, and the exec office suite, STPs sales engineering, SJs accounting, Is engineering, and Fs sales, hr, and pr

Yeah, that's a good point there. But why would entps be underachievers? That, I don't get.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
hmm. that could be a good thread idea.
does your mbti type match your current career.

:) Well, let's see here:

ISFP personality has an extremely well-developed ability to appreciate aesthetic qualities. You have passionate and intense feelings. You are very quick-witted and spatial in your thinking. You are probably more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with your soul than others. Also you are usually good listeners who genuinely want to hear about someone's problems, and genuinely want to help them. These are just some of the ISFP factors that comprise your list of personality traits you can use to find a career that is a natural fit.

I'd MAJORLY agree with all of that.

• Warmth and sympathy (emphasis on interpersonal values)
• Adaptability
• Realistic grounding
• Great depth of feeling
• Very personal approach to life
• Idealism
• Sense of aesthetics
• Keen sense of detail

Yes to adaptability, realistic grounding, personal approach to life, and (sometimes) idealism. Major yes to great depth of feeling and sense of aesthetics. Sometimes I have a keen sense of detail, but only when I'm interested in the project.

There are more natural traits making up your self personality profile but those above indicate a natural ability for careers where you help others in a very pragmatic way. You naturally communicate kindness in a ways that make you exceptional candidates for working with people in need, children or animals. Your idealism and deep feeling make you particularly sensitive to the suffering of others.

I'm a youth services librarian, and I work with kids. I'm told I communicate kindness, and I'm sensitive to others' feelings. The "working with kids" part is very stereotypical of ISFPs, but maybe not so much the "librarian" part. :D

The ISFP personality type will move naturally towards careers that let you be consistent with your strong, inner values, and is something you care deeply about and want to contribute your energy and talents to; work that is done with others in a supportive and affirming climate where you are a loyal and cooperative member of a team. In addition, work that gives you freedom to work independently but nearby other compatible and courteous people, and where you don’t feel restricted by excessive rules, structure, or inflexible operating procedures, you will gravitate towards.

MAJOR yes to a career that lets me be consistent with my values -- I wouldn't be promoting library services if I didn't wholeheartedly believe in their value. I also have to work in a supportive, affirming environment, and have made it a point to work only at certain library branches, and for certain managers. I also prize the fact that my job gives me a lot of personal and creative freedom, in that I don't work for micromanagers, and the people above me trust me to do a good job, and also trust that I will get my work done without needing to hover over my shoulder. Years ago I left a library job that I thought had too many excessive rules and too much structure for the job I have now, and I'm much happier.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Here is the ENTP:
ENTP Personality Ingenious Visionary!

The ENTP personality is driven to understand, constantly absorbing ideas and new concepts around them. You have a natural ability to understand others intuitively, and you have natural ability at almost anything that interests you. As the idea people you have a natural interest and ability to conceive of and get things going more than finishing them, others can do that. You are mentally quick, enjoy verbal sparring and debate sometimes you like to argue. These are just a few of the ENTP factors that make up you list of personality traits you can use to find a career that is a natural fit.

Extraverted with Intuition Thinking and Perception your career personality profile would include the following natural tendencies among others:

Breadth of interests
Grasp of possibilities
Use of logic and analysis
Naturally comfortable with the abstract
Nonconformity
Creativity
Problem solving abilities
Improvise

There are more natural traits making up your ENTP self personality profile but those above indicate a natural ability for careers requiring inventiveness and an analytical mind. You would also be a natural fit for careers in science, communications, and technology. Also fields offering a chance for variety, autonomy and excitement in the workplace would be naturals for you.

The ENTP personality type will move naturally towards a career that gives you opportunities to engage in creative problem solving and/or generating new and innovative approaches to problems. Lets you experience a variety of situations filled with fun, action, and excitement; a career that follows a logical order and is based upon objective and fair standards, rather than the likes or dislikes of one individual; a career that lets you increase your professional and personal power and interact frequently with other powerful people.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, that's a good point there. But why would entps be underachievers? That, I don't get.

Environment.

ENTPs underachieve because they often try to squeeze into work or school environments that are poorly suited for them.

If you look at great ENTP achievers, from DaVinci to Churchill to Thomas Edison, they all worked odd hours and did their best when they organized what they had to around their energy levels, not the clock.

ENTPs must have change to succeed. If they can't create it in their current jobs, they have to find a new one, which is why we're always job hopping if we're not entrepreneurs. If they force the issue and try to stay in one place too long in order to look better on a resume, they'll massively underachieve, because their innovative skills will go into hibernation, and will be replaced with whatever organization skills are left, which are usually pretty thin.

ESTPs must feel important to succeed. So if you promote them enough, and don't force them to make future commitments (they hate those), they'll stay at one company forever. And they're usually very successful. While our C-level execs are mostly NTs, many of our VPs are ESTPs, who have leapfrogged over Harvard and Stanford-educated engineers who don't have their communication skills.

While I've seen many ENTPs underachieve, only time I've seen ESTPs underachieve is when they try to be entrepreneurs. Just as 9-5 is the wrong environment for ENTPs, a startup with a limited operating history is the wrong environment for ESTPs. While ESTPs are just as good as ENTPs at understanding technology, they never come up with the wildly creative product or marketing ideas that really get a small company going. They also hate applying an unconventional marketing idea if they don't feel it's been validated by someone else's experience. But this is exactly what most successful startups do.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I don't think that type should tell anyone what career to follow. I think it's more importantto follow your heart. And besides, there are only 16 types. All the careers in the world cannot be divided just between 16 types.

Basically, I believe that you can be successful in any career, no matter your type.

I don't know if my post is of any relevance to this topic, however that's what I had to say.
I agree as long as you are not implying that these descriptions do that. If so, you may want to read them again. However you are right, type should not predict alot of things that it does, like being intelligent, being emotional, being mechanical, being the best fit for another type. I could go on and on.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have worked since the age of 8 (raking leaves in neighborhood, washing cars, mowing lawns) and since the age of 15 for employers; I am now 35.
In that time I have worked at a :

(1) Domino's Pizza
(2) Steakhouse as a cashier
(3) Pet store as a clerk
(4) Optical shop as a sales person and optician
(5) Valet
(6) Personal Trainer at a Gym
(7) IT trainer/instructor
(8) Junior Applications Developer
(9) Systems Engineer
(10) Software Sales Representative
(11) Project Engineer for a Real Estate Developer
(12) IT Business Analyst
(13) Project Manager
(14) Senior Database Analyst (Public Health Care Rate Calculations / Contract Manager)

I see truth to the OP with regard to the fact that the only jobs I have ENJOYED were those that I had an opportunity to work with and through people to make my living while accomplishing their objectives.

Anytime I have been forced to sit and not be creative and be isolated from figuring out what's going on and solving problems that I know nothing about via implementing my people skills and on the fly analytical abilty I have been MISERABLE and left.

I am not on a schedule. I'm supposed to be 9-5 but my hours vary from 6-2 through 11-7 (THANK GOD) because of grad school, kids, and all other mandates that I am accountable to.

I would LOVE to get into sales again knowing what I know about ME in addition to knowing what I know about business, technology, and health care.

Do not limit me, do not tell me how to do what you wish me to do, do not constrain me to a meaningless list of recurring duties; I WILL LEAVE.

There is much truth to what I have read, but as all other humans, I have had to sacrifice my innate desires in order to maintain the obligations/duties of my life that are just as important if not more than my own self actualization in an occupational capacity at any given point in time.

;)

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP

I agree with that. My mom is an ISFJ and one of the careers stated for her personality type is being a nurse. However, my mom likes chemical engineering(even though she's a headnurse right now and really doing great at her job in all aspects)and would recount her engineering days with a lilt in her voice and with glowing eyes. But the reason why she became a nurse was because she can no longer stand her mom(my grandmother)belittling her ability in chemical engineering(though my mom did good to pass and was enjoying her engineering course). Right now, she's 40 and preparing to migrate to the US to work..but she confessed to me that she was apprehensive about it because it was so tiring and blah3x but I think the real reason is she doesn't have enough heart to continue being a nurse, however NOBLE it is.

I feel sorry for my mom, and would want her to continue her engineering studies(she may have to start again from 1st year because that was more than 20 yrs. ago and much has changed since in engineering like the incorporation of technology). However, I think our family(except me, of course)would object if ever my mom would decide to go back to school and get her chemical engineering degree for the reason that being a nurse in the US has a higher salary than being a chemical engineer in the Philippines.

sculpting

I have to say no on this one. I work with a bunch of estps-who are awesome at sales, customer interactions, contract negotiations and tactical marketing-much better that I could ever be at this stuff. Where everything falls apart is that they dont have N to see into the future and so dont do well when placed in positions that require strategic, very long term thinking. They freeze up and request more and more data but cant make a decision, as they cant see the implications in a year from now.

They also are not so good at unerstanding the audiance we market to and becoming adaptable to that marketplace-as my market is almost all NTs.

Some days they make me drink.

Kimchitasi

MBTI Type
N
Enneagram
This is very ignorant. Every type has its strengths and within that each person of each type has her/her indvidual strengths. I do not think certain types are good at more job opportunities then others.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is very ignorant.

i'm never gonna go the route of prescribing jobs based on type, but there's no denying there are correlations in terms of what people of certain types and temperaments gravitate to.

most INFPs will agree that they would prefer not to be military officials; most ESTJs will agree they would rather not be poets. of course there are exceptions, though, and there is no reason either of them cannot enter those professions. they may actually end up being very successful because of their unconventional thinking.
:shrug:

i also think there is a significant difference between successful and happy.

i am sure most SPs could be successful at anything they put their mind to. i am more curious, would they be happy?

though that may end up having to do more with personal values and experiences than type.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Environment.

ENTPs underachieve because they often try to squeeze into work or school environments that are poorly suited for them.

ESTPs do this too sometimes, belive me, it's true.
I am an ESTP 7w8, and one of my best friends ever is an ENTP 8w7.
Together we are hell on wheels, and can unite in purpose and mow over any numbe of people needed to get what we need done.
But, both of us have quirks/inconsistencies that at times get in the way of our full potential...but not too frequently!

If you look at great ENTP achievers, from DaVinci to Churchill to Thomas Edison, they all worked odd hours and did their best when they organized what they had to around their energy levels, not the clock.

A busy techie or analyst of ANY MBTI type can do this.

ENTPs must have change to succeed. If they can't create it in their current jobs, they have to find a new one, which is why we're always job hopping if we're not entrepreneurs. If they force the issue and try to stay in one place too long in order to look better on a resume, they'll massively underachieve, because their innovative skills will go into hibernation, and will be replaced with whatever organization skills are left, which are usually pretty thin.

I agree with this somewhat, based on the few ENTPs I know first hand, IRL. But, they are damn good at formulating the high-level stuff.
The one thing I've noticed about ENTPs I know is that they are able to weave bullshit out of buzzwords, but when it comes time to knit it all together, they need help.

ESTPs must feel important to succeed. So if you promote them enough, and don't force them to make future commitments (they hate those), they'll stay at one company forever.

Not true. We like things to be awarded by merit, and political ass-kissing is not a act of merritt.
We feel important EVERYDAY because we love ourselves, and quite frankly, don't give a damn what others think. :newwink:
Future commitments are fine with us, if we are given the liberty to accompliosh them as we wish.
Just don't micromanage us, we'll tell you to go jump in a lake. :laugh:

And they're usually very successful. While our C-level execs are mostly NTs, many of our VPs are ESTPs, who have leapfrogged over Harvard and Stanford-educated engineers who don't have their communication skills.

We talk the talk, and walk the walk, yes, this is true.
ENTPs can make it to the top too if they just focus.

While I've seen many ENTPs underachieve, only time I've seen ESTPs underachieve is when they try to be entrepreneurs.

Overgeneralization with no basis in fact. Denied.

Just as 9-5 is the wrong environment for ENTPs, a startup with a limited operating history is the wrong environment for ESTPs. While ESTPs are just as good as ENTPs at understanding technology, they never come up with the wildly creative product or marketing ideas that really get a small company going. They also hate applying an unconventional marketing idea if they don't feel it's been validated by someone else's experience. But this is exactly what most successful startups do.

Again, I disagree. I am the #1 "Idea Man" in my Agency, and have been so very regularly in my past 3 jobs.
I get shit done.

Give us some free time and you will see. :)

-Alex

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
While I've seen many ENTPs underachieve, only time I've seen ESTPs underachieve is when they try to be entrepreneurs. Just as 9-5 is the wrong environment for ENTPs, a startup with a limited operating history is the wrong environment for ESTPs. While ESTPs are just as good as ENTPs at understanding technology, they never come up with the wildly creative product or marketing ideas that really get a small company going. They also hate applying an unconventional marketing idea if they don't feel it's been validated by someone else's experience. But this is exactly what most successful startups do.

Never say never.

I'm an ESTP who has a startup that results in a near-six figure income. And I'm a 21 year old college student. :)

Se has creativity - and moreover, I have the drive to follow through.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i also think there is a significant difference between successful and happy.

i am sure most SPs could be successful at anything they put their mind to. i am more curious, would they be happy?

True. I also thought of "success" and what that means. Each person's definition of success is different.

I think I define success by achieving a place where I am using all of my talents effectively, there is growth, I am financially stable, and I am happy. If one of these is missing, I'm not successful. Therefore, I suppose I can't be successful in any career, and certainly not in any environment.

LoL... I've seen ESTP's underachieve....... it happens with all types, unfortunately.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Not wanting to be micromanaged, wanting to figure things out on your own, be creative, improvise, work various hours, not liking routine, enjoying change, etc: These are all "P" things. P's don't like structure.