• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's under stress

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
Hah ummm *checks* nope, definitely not your sister.

I can absolutely relate to all of that, sure it might not be healthy but it often feels like if I bother anyone else with my problems they (the problems) are going to feel 10 times worse because I'm affecting others and that's the last thing I want.

Me too. :yes:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Yes for sure, ESTPs are often accidently looked upon as introverted. Here's a quote from keirsey "Promoters understand well the maxim, "He who travels fastest, travels alone," although they are not likely to be lonely for long, since their boldness and sense of adventure tends to make them highly attractive to many other people."

Back in the early years of high school when I was going through a hard time I could of been seen as an introvert. There is no way the ISTP descriptions would of ever fit me at any time in my life though.
The bolded statement reminds me of something Lenore Thomson says in her book regarding E/I mistypes. She says that male introverts are more inclined to mistype as extraverts because of social expecations. I do not have her book any longer but she referenced to two to three questions from her assessment where if you answered "yes" you may be subjecting to yourself due to this principle. I am curious as to hear your reasons for being adamant (outside of the typical stereotypes of ISTPs).

Unique

The bolded statement reminds me of something Lenore Thomson says in her book regarding E/I mistypes. She says that male introverts are more inclined to mistype as extraverts because of social expecations. I do not have her book any longer but she referenced to two to three questions from her assessment where if you answered "yes" you may be subjecting to yourself due to this principle. I am curious as to hear your reasons for being adamant (outside of the typical stereotypes of ISTPs).

If you knew me in real life you wouldn't question my E :newwink: and I don't doubt my type as an ESTP in the slightest. If anything I'm closer to an ENTP than an ISTP as I have a fairly high N... for an S but then again most ENTPs I don't get along with! (Past the first interactions.)

Why am I an E you ask? I bounce ideas off others, I'm socially inclined, I'm usually the center of attention (or another E is), I'm interested in others, I work well in groups, I love "salesman" jobs where I get to talk and use my communication skills, I love having company with me, I go out every weekend, I party a lot, I'm very outward in my expressions etc etc the list goes on...

About the only introverted thing I do is spend a lot of time on my computer, but thats where I work and the internet is pretty social imo.

Do I care for being an E just cause its more socially accepted? Hell no its just who I am. Heck I have many introverted friends that are great company! Love them to bits... its just different to how we interact.

I'm not sure what Lenore is trying to get at, you are the one type and that never changes you cant BECOME another type just cause of social expectations. Sure you can act like another type but its not going to be comfortable. I know an INFP in fact thats trying very hard to become more extraverted but she is still using I over E. I doubt she will get over her need for personal space etc

While I know I'm an ESTP I'm curious as to why you are questioning your type. Does ISTP not fit?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Must...stop...staring...at....your.....avatar.

Same here. You can tell alot by looking at someones eyes when they smile. Her smile just seems so genuine and true. Her eyes lead to her heart and shows a very kind compassionate person.

Aww you guys are sweet, thank-you. Its nice to read compliments after a bad day :)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was thinking....would you guys (SPs) say that you tend to run away from bad situations, rather than becoming more controlling? The over-control as a way to "handle" bad situations sounds like maybe an SJ thing. It was just a thought.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Aww you guys are sweet, thank-you. Its nice to read compliments after a bad day :)

:D <3

I deal with a few ESFPs a week. One of them is in my English class. She has a smile that makes me want to melt, but once she starts talking, I want to strangle things.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking....would you guys (SPs) say that you tend to run away from bad situations, rather than becoming more controlling? The over-control as a way to "handle" bad situations sounds like maybe an SJ thing. It was just a thought.

Yes, absolutely. Sometimes I get stressed about dumb little things. And I ignore them. And I wait till those dumb little things turn into giant unavoidable problems that consume my life.

:D <3

I deal with a few ESFPs a week. One of them is in my English class. She has a smile that makes me want to melt, but once she starts talking, I want to strangle things.

oh, geez.
hope people don't have that reaction to me.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Yes, absolutely. Sometimes I get stressed about dumb little things. And I ignore them. And I wait till those dumb little things turn into giant unavoidable problems that consume my life.

oh, geez.
hope people don't have that reaction to me.

From what I can tell, you're one of the good ones. I think you're well aware that the stereotypical girl is a loud and stupid esfp. :p

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

I think I tend to run away from bad situations unless I've created those situtations or they're unavoidable. In which case I run for help. (meaning, I panic for a bit, and then find sympathetic and helpful friends to talk to).

Sarah

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I can tell, you're one of the good ones. I think you're well aware that the stereotypical girl is a loud and stupid esfp. :p

yea, I know them. :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
If you knew me in real life you wouldn't question my E :newwink: and I don't doubt my type as an ESTP in the slightest. If anything I'm closer to an ENTP than an ISTP as I have a fairly high N... for an S but then again most ENTPs I don't get along with! (Past the first interactions.)

Why am I an E you ask? I bounce ideas off others, I'm socially inclined, I'm usually the center of attention (or another E is), I'm interested in others, I work well in groups, I love "salesman" jobs where I get to talk and use my communication skills, I love having company with me, I go out every weekend, I party a lot, I'm very outward in my expressions etc etc the list goes on...
Thanks Lukepd. That whole second paragraph definitely resembles ENTP and other ”Get Things Going” types that I have read about. I believed that I was ENTP for a while, but when reading the aforementioned interaction style, I knew that I was not. The salesmanship you allude to does fit many ENTPs as well.
About the only introverted thing I do is spend a lot of time on my computer, but thats where I work and the internet is pretty social imo.

Do I care for being an E just cause its more socially accepted? Hell no its just who I am. Heck I have many introverted friends that are great company! Love them to bits... its just different to how we interact.

I'm not sure what Lenore is trying to get at, you are the one type and that never changes you cant BECOME another type just cause of social expectations. Sure you can act like another type but its not going to be comfortable. I know an INFP in fact thats trying very hard to become more extraverted but she is still using I over E. I doubt she will get over her need for personal space etc

While I know I'm an ESTP I'm curious as to why you are questioning your type. Does ISTP not fit?
I think you hit the nail on the head in we are what we are. In regards to Lenore Thomson, her comment was geared toward introverted males who may be forced to come out of their shells based on social expectations. Thanks again for your insights.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

For the most part if I dont know the fix I tend to avoid until I can figure out how to fix it. I tried that with my bank account one time and holy crap that was a mistake. My wife I believe is an ENFJ and she tends to micro manage a bad situation. When things arent going as planned she is a control freak.

Winz

MBTI Type
ISTP
it's been a while since i felt depressed but from what i remember, i tend to sleep a lot more and avoid responsibilities

^ That = yes for me. I also get really impatient/irritable and rude with people.

I remember once during the most stressful time in my life, I actually got an axe out and hacked up an old couch we had sitting in the back yard. Otherwise though, I'm generally pretty laid-back.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I remember once during the most stressful time in my life, I actually got an axe out and hacked up an old couch we had sitting in the back yard. Otherwise though, I'm generally pretty laid-back.

I always go target shooting when I'm stressed or angry. Works great for stress relief. When I was younger, it was paintball and .22 pellet guns.....after one of the most stressful times in my life, I remember sitting outside, and shooting a target from 1 in the afternoon until it got too dark for me to see the target. My aim also improves from "pretty good" to "god-like" when I'm really stressed, interestingly enough. Now I have real ones, but I tend to still shoot the pellet gun for stress relief, because discharging a firearm on my property is very illegal since I don't have a big enough distance from the property line...

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
... not to mention startling for the neighbors...
:shock:

Nah. I have nice neighbors, and they would all probably be fine as long as they got to shoot it on occasion. Actually, our police are nice as well (And they owe me for not reporting them sleeping in the patrol car at the end of my street while "on duty".) However....it still isn't worth risk, considering the jail time/fines if I were to get caught.