• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Teach me how to be an S.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is not a sarcastic thread. I would like to get more in touch with my sensory capabilities. How would one beging to maintain focus over such things? Is it a nmeasure of mental strength?

HOW ABOUT INSTEAD...

You use your awesome ENTP brain to design a mind control ray gun and I use my S tactical skills to build it and then together we TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm gonna go make a salad now.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I wonder if by learning to use your S more farts with somehow be smellier. If not, maybe you'll be able to distinguish them by texture and what-not, kind of like a wine taster. :) :p

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
This is not a sarcastic thread. I would like to get more in touch with my sensory capabilities. How would one beging to maintain focus over such things? Is it a nmeasure of mental strength?
I would be interested in what you may consider sensing capabilities since Jung says that dominant Ne types, when describing themselves usually described Se traits. Based on Lenore Thomson and Linda Berens, the Se/Ne functions have the most in common.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
sensory_stimulation_kit.jpg

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Clean. Cleaning is good.

Especally cleaning with no-toxic, eco-friendly cleaning products you made yourself out of vinegar, baking soda, castile soap, essential oils, etc. The essential oils make it fun. :)

T

ThatGirl

I would be interested in what you may consider sensing capabilities since Jung says that dominant Ne types, when describing themselves usually described Se traits. Based on Lenore Thomson and Linda Berens, the Se/Ne functions have the most in common.

Well, i would usually see sensing capabilities as things most often discribed on tests to rule out preferences for N vs S. Mostly though, it is the living in the now factor. The being aware now. I think that while Ne takes in a lot of information, it needs time to process it properly. At the same time, via my observation, Se takes in the same info and process it faster, less complex, but still along the same path. So i think what is the time waisted in being an N. Does it make that much of a difference in understanding and accuracy?

mbeerti

MBTI Type
INTP
Listen/read/process information more literally. Take up wood-working, auto mechanics, knitting, Dancing with the Stars, other such 'sensing' hobbies...

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

Well, i would usually see sensing capabilities as things most often discribed on tests to rule out preferences for N vs S. Mostly though, it is the living in the now factor. The being aware now. I think that while Ne takes in a lot of information, it needs time to process it properly. At the same time, via my observation, Se takes in the same info and process it faster, less complex, but still along the same path. So i think what is the time waisted in being an N. Does it make that much of a difference in understanding and accuracy?

If people who believe they're _N_Ps describe Ne as basically being the same as Se, then wouldn't that point to their being mistyped, and their better fit one of the _S_P types? From what I understand, you can't possibly do both well, because they're opposites. Ne is about interpreting what's in front of you -- making abstract connections between what's there and what isn't there at the moment, and Se is about making quick, accurate observations and acting effectively on them. Kind of hard to act on present-moment reality AND make all sorts of abstract connections. I'm sure you've all seen this article by now:

How to tell iNtuiting from extraverted Sensing

the article's example of noticing forests or trees:

Extraverted Sensing - Notices the rich detail in the whole forest - the trees, their color and texture, their sounds, their smells, the pattern of light and dark...

Extraverted iNtuiting - Thinks of the fractal patterns, the wide range of possibilities in the forest, how this forest is part of the ecosystem and is affected by polllution from the city...

That said, it's apparently extremely common for SPs to score as N_Ps on type tests:

"Over the last four years, in the MBTI® Qualifying Programs, advanced programs and elsewhere, we found a disproportionate number of people who had reported preferences for the iNtuiting process while their behaviors seemed to resemble the Artisan-SP temperament pattern..."

So the definitions of Ne have gotten very muddied up with Se-related material.

(FWIW, I score as an N_P on type tests, because most tests, including the MBTI, are all written so to make N sound much more relatable to many SPs than the choices you're supposed to select to indicate a preference for S.)

Mallow

MBTI Type
ISFP

Intuition seems to be more time oriented, more interested in what it can extrapolate from sensory input than the direct impression of the input itself.

How did this come to be and what will it turn into?

To me as a sensor this seems like constantly running on an internal treadmill when you could be just enjoying things for what they are with no, or very little, regard for what they were or might become.
Studying the past or planning for the future are, to me, housekeeping chores -- something that needs to be done sometimes for practical purposes and then let go of so you can go back to enjoying right now.

It is true that the only "time" you will ever be alive in is this moment.
Every other temporal space might have been or may be, but is not.

The Aesops fable about the ant and the grasshopper is intended to praise the ant's industriousness and deride the grasshopper's blithe disregard for the future in favor of enjoying the now.
But the grasshopper was always my hero.
He enjoyed the summer while it lasted and passed on when it did.
What could be more perfect than that?

Is it better to survive a long time and only live a little or to survive for only a season an live a lot?

I guess it's a matter of taste and a preference that divides sensors from intuitives.

ENTJ-girl

If I am understand this correctly, Se tend to live in the moment more than iN by focusing on the external environment. Am I getting this correctly?

I want to live on the NOW.

Sarah

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Don't ask a bunch of Sensors to summarize their data-gathering function in terms of over-arching theory?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Intuition seems to be more time oriented, more interested in what it can extrapolate from sensory input than the direct impression of the input itself.

How did this come to be and what will it turn into?

To me as a sensor this seems like constantly running on an internal treadmill when you could be just enjoying things for what they are with no, or very little, regard for what they were or might become.
Studying the past or planning for the future are, to me, housekeeping chores -- something that needs to be done sometimes for practical purposes and then let go of so you can go back to enjoying right now.

It is true that the only "time" you will ever be alive in is this moment.
Every other temporal space might have been or may be, but is not.

The Aesops fable about the ant and the grasshopper is intended to praise the ant's industriousness and deride the grasshopper's blithe disregard for the future in favor of enjoying the now.
But the grasshopper was always my hero.
He enjoyed the summer while it lasted and passed on when it did.
What could be more perfect than that?

Is it better to survive a long time and only live a little or to survive for only a season an live a lot?

I guess it's a matter of taste and a preference that divides sensors from intuitives.

I think much of what you describe here is very SP, and not so much just S on its own. The grasshopper is definitely an SP hero, but the SJ would be the one deriding the grasshopper for his poor planning/bad J function. It doesn't really have nearly as much to do with his S function.

And for Sarah, Plain and ENTJ:

Write down the trivial details. Focus on stopping to study the particulars of something instead of skimming it, forming a general conceptual model to represent it and then moving on to associating with other such conceptual models.

Basically, we Ns are really good at recognizing the relationships between organisms that form a complex system called a forest--but damn, we can't seem to remember what any of the trees themselves looked like.

Another good example is...riding in the car. When I'm in the car I'm almost always busy thinking about what I will do when I get there, where this trip is leading. An S would be more likely to take note of the specific physical attributes of the car's interior and the visible natural scenery outside it.

Mallow

MBTI Type
ISFP
Don't ask a bunch of Sensors to summarize their data-gathering function in terms of over-arching theory?

Sensors can do this in the same way that Intuitives can just be aware of their surroundings without associating them with some conceptual model.

Intuitives are appalled at Sensors' apparent inability to see the "big picture".

Sensors are amused by Intuitives' immersion in the "big picture" to the extent that they tend to walk into brick walls right in front of them.

Maturity should open the world of conceptual possibility to sensors as it brings intuitives enough into the present moment that they begin to experience things as they are without a conceptual overlay.

Enlightening for both, I would say.

ENTJ-girl

Another good example is...riding in the car. When I'm in the car I'm almost always busy thinking about what I will do when I get there, where this trip is leading. An S would be more likely to take note of the specific physical attributes of the car's interior and the visible natural scenery outside it.

I hope nobody take this the wrong way, but, I have to understand What goes inside the mind of an S while observing the detail of the street/other cars/car's interior?

Because I am an N, naturally, will think about my destinate/what I am going to say/do, and if I decided to act as an S by observe physical details while traveling to let's say a stressful meeting. I would say to myself "well, I'm just so stressed about going to this meeting and I feel like having a panick attack, maybe I should just focus on anything else to take my mind off the meeting".

What goes inside the mind of an S while going to a stressful meeting.

Apologize if my english suck!

Sarah