• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Teach me how to be an S.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually don't think art is the best way to learn how to become more S but it's probably the most comfortable and appealing for an N. There's too much room for imagination in art and therefore the risk of drifting off into N-land for someone who already has a tendency to do that. There are plenty of other activities that involve the senses that don't require as much imagination.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmm, in my family, xSxx suck at art, while xNxx live for it practically.
I can't see the relevance.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

*looks around* You talking to me?

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

I guess our family's the opposite of yours -- except for my husband who likes to do woodworking, the Ns suck at art and don't ever do anything artistic, and the Ss like different forms of it and enjoy playing around with color and shape, etc.. I see an awful lot of relevance in my suggestion. Perhaps each family is different.

I wasn't talking about abstract art, by the way. Have you actually tried DOING blind contour drawing? It demands you tune out intuition and pay attention closely to what you're sensing.

Sarah

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What about landscape drawings? I've had a desire to do one of those for a while...

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
What about landscape drawings? I've had a desire to do one of those for a while...

I have a good friend whom I believe is an ISFJ who does beautiful watercolors of landscapes. Instead of taking his camera when he goes on vacations, he takes his paints and records the beauty around him that way. I love his work. :)

Sarah

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I should say that I've never done something like it before. But it sounds fun to try. :yes:

Anyway...

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm.. if contour drawing involves observing a subject and trying to draw exactly what you see, I'm not sure if there's much room for N, there.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I can't do landscapes. I rush them and they end up looking like Pollock drew them.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe for Ns, we should work on something smaller? (smaller than a whole landscape) Doing something similar with a person instead was a good idea. It's just that humans seem like a harder subject to draw.

Last edited:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All the things you guys suggested are related to meditation exercises
I suck at meditation and now I understand why. I've noticed I can only go into 'sensing' mode, and fully enjoy the things you described if I'm completely relaxed, have no other dying needs to fulfill, nor any other things I should take care of. And then it can feel incredibly relaxing. Otherwise it irritates, annoys and generally stresses me to have to do those things. But when I am able to enjoy them, it gives a sense of oneness. I admire you guys for being able to do this, seriously :)

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
hmm.. if contour drawing involves observing a subject and trying to draw exactly what you see, I'm not sure if there's much room for N, there.

Yes, you have to totally concentrate on the object, and slooooooowwwwwly allow your eye to trace the contours of it at the same time you're moving your pencil. Your pencil can not go ahead of where you're looking (or vice versa) and speeding up isn't going to help you any. The idea is not to assume anything about what you're looking at - you must draw exactly what you see, even if that feels weird to you, and not what you think you should see, or how you interpret what you see. :)

Basically, it trains your brain to notice minute details and record what's actually there instead of making assumptions. This is so you can draw something that looks like the thing in front of you, and it helps you gain a sense of proportion and perspective. Of course, this is just an exercise. Most artists want to incorporate some idealization or interpretation in their art, but it's a very handy exercise for training yourself to draw realistically, and with confidence and dexterity.

Sarah

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Yes, you have to totally concentrate on the object, and slooooooowwwwwly allow your eye to trace the contours of it at the same time you're moving your pencil. Your pencil can not go ahead of where you're looking (or vice versa) and speeding up isn't going to help you any. The idea is not to assume anything about what you're looking at - you must draw exactly what you see, even if that feels weird to you, and not what you think you should see, or how you interpret what you see. :)

Basically, it trains your brain to notice minute details and record what's actually there instead of making assumptions. This is so you can draw something that looks like the thing in front of you, and it helps you gain a sense of proportion and perspective. Of course, this is just an exercise. Most artists want to incorporate some idealization or interpretation in their art, but it's a very handy exercise for training yourself to draw realistically, and with confidence and dexterity.

Sarah

Hmmm interesting. Thanks for the idea Sarah. :) I'll try sometimes (eventually)... :doh:

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I guess our family's the opposite of yours -- except for my husband who likes to do woodworking, the Ns suck at art and don't ever do anything artistic, and the Ss like different forms of it and enjoy playing around with color and shape, etc.. I see an awful lot of relevance in my suggestion. Perhaps each family is different.

I wasn't talking about abstract art, by the way. Have you actually tried DOING blind contour drawing? It demands you tune out intuition and pay attention closely to what you're sensing.

Sarah

Contour drawing ? That sounds boring.

I'm into more creative work.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can't/Won't.

:(

What if you just pm me something? I'll show you my art if you show me yours. It will give you an ego boost cuz my art sucks. lol.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
BTW there are a lot of really good N artists. And anyone who says being an S type or N type gets in the way of doing whatever kind of art is 100% wrong. I would know. I've taken a lot of art classes. You'd be surprised at what kinds of things N types will create. You'd be surprised at what kinds of things S types will create.

And drawing/painting/etc. isn't some kind of magical talent either. It's a learnable teachable skill. Like writing or reading. Anyone can do any type of art if they set their mind to it.

EDIT: I'm going to leave and go to a thread where I'm actually on topic.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Ahah, my ego needs no boost.

But it's been a while since I last painted, and now they all seem to suck; cause I have new ideas.

So I can't show 'em to anybody, that's the alternative for destroying them.