• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Teach me how to be an S.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
ThatGirl: I think it's a good thing that you are getting in touch with your shadow tpyes, because if you strengthen them all up, you will be golden.

MBTI Type
INxJ
This is not a sarcastic thread. I would like to get more in touch with my sensory capabilities. How would one beging to maintain focus over such things? Is it a nmeasure of mental strength?

You seem to be on the road of becoming more well rounded.

Unique

I actually zone out and get kinda N when I (am forced) play sport or anything else that disinterests me.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Go to the more hypothetical or abstract threads, scratch your head and then press back on your browser.

(maybe raise your eyebrow upon reading the thread too)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is the main reason I hate tether ball, seriously how long does it take for the ball to make its circle, I zone out and never see it comming, but it happens, every time.

These are great suggestions everyone.

well, if it makes you feel any better, i'd stay focused waiting to see you get hit in the face.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not sure how it works for everyone, but it helped me to get involved in a physical activity that requires N and S. That was dance for me. When I'm down, I dance till my mind goes blank.

It is emptying the mind of all the Ne and Ti in a way - forgetting all past and future, and taking the present moment. As NTs it is tough to live in the present.

If you write for e.g. Write a story which does not use metaphors or similes.

If you go for a walk, try remember things about the people you pass. Colour of their clothes, what they are doing etc.

Before you sleep, as you breathe, count each breath. You'd be surprised how hard it is to hit a hundred before you get distracted.

If you play an instrument, feel the instrument, not just the music.

If you're kissing someone, heighten your awareness of their heartbeat, the way their hair falls, how they feel against you. Vs. just how they make you feel.

Overall, I've found that it made each experience more intense. A double input of sorts, not sure if that makes sense.

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
Focus on something in particular, and notice the physical aspects of it. I know when I’m waiting at this particular place near my house, I tend to zone out in a sensor way, I guess. I’m not really thinking of anything deep when I do this. I’ll casually notice the shape of a leaf or a branch, or the pattern of the bark or a rock, compare colours. I’ll notice faces or pictures in rocks/trees/shadows/wood grain. Or I’ll just follow the movement of one particular cloud.

It’s next to this empty block, with a large pile of rocks and a whole bunch of skinks live in there. I’ll just watch, moving my eyes slowly, if at all, so as not to miss any quick movements until something does move. Once I’ve found the lizards I follow them until I can no longer see them. I’ve found lots of things the same way. I’ve been the only one to see fish or squirrels among a group of friends by doing this.

I imagine trying to find shapes in clouds would be good as well. Try and make sure you focus on the shapes, though, and not let your mind wander off on tangents.

And with sports... maybe try table tennis. Hurts a lot less if you get hit in the face.

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
This is not a sarcastic thread. I would like to get more in touch with my sensory capabilities. How would one beging to maintain focus over such things? Is it a nmeasure of mental strength?

Try cleaning windows.

That bugs all the NF's I know.

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I thought she asked about how to develop the sensing function.

Most NF's I know don't even see windows.

rofl.gif

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
My advice would be to take up contour drawing. That'll really teach you how to slow down and pay attention to the present moment.

Blind Contour Drawing Lesson

And Wolfy, thanks for the links -- I had no idea the Se chapter of that book was available online. Cool!

Sarah

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
We did upside-down blind contour portraits one day in middle school art. Had a great teacher.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
And was it fun? :happy2:
A little. More importantly, I eventually became really good at drawing. She taught us that when you're drawing a still life, or portrait, you draw exactly what you see, not what you think you should see. With contour, and other methods, such as looking "through" the object to get a better idea of value (light/dark) and proportion.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
A little. More importantly, I eventually became really good at drawing. She taught us that when you're drawing a still life, or portrait, you draw exactly what you see, not what you think you should see.

Yes! This is why I think it's the perfect exercise for someone who wants to develop their Se. Really forces you to tune in to minute details of what you're experiencing in the present moment.

Sarah

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes! This is why I think it's the perfect exercise for someone who wants to develop their Se. Really forces you to tune in to minute details of what you're experiencing in the present moment.

Sarah
I would imagine my youth as a relatively serious aspiring artist has something to do with people perceiving "S" attributes in me.

T

ThatGirl

Oddly enough I always have this picture run through my min of a man standing there with his hands slightly lifted to the sides. He looks forward, sighs very quietly before taking a deep breath, and closes his eyes. His head drops reluctantly in unison as a surge of power much like the outer layer of an atom bomb emits from him pushing everything away with it in one swoop.

I always wondered how that would look on paper but I have zero artistic talent.