• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] How does tertiary Ni affect us SPs?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
What is tertiary Ni?

Put it clear and concisely.
If you can.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
That's the problem :blush:

I guess since it supports Se for ISPs and Fi/Ti for ESPs, it might act as a trampoline for reactions for S. Makes a person harder to predict since Ni would be the stronger Ni is, since a person could interpret something much different than normal.

I admit my knowledge on how functions work is spotty, that's why I started this thread. :D

zark

MBTI Type
istp
Good topic. My idea about this is that tertiary Ni is how you perceive information when you are alone already. Well, at least for ISTPs, Ni is tertiary and introverted according to the MBTI. So that's how I see it, external Se when gathering information outside, and when you see it in a different way again when you're alone, the tertiary Ni works. Do you think it make sense? :)

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
Tertiary Ni may be the reason why I've noticed some SPs are attracted to things like astrology, New Age, conspiracy theories, reading fantasy fiction, etc. These things are interests/hobbies to them but don't usually reflect their conscious, everyday way of looking at life. At least not when they're healthy.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
That's the problem :blush:

I guess since it supports Se for ISPs and Fi/Ti for ESPs, it might act as a trampoline for reactions for S. Makes a person harder to predict since Ni would be the stronger Ni is, since a person could interpret something much different than normal.

I admit my knowledge on how functions work is spotty, that's why I started this thread. :D

Yeah, I like what you said about it acting "as a trampoline", because I believe extraverted Sensing and introverted Intuition work in tandem nicely with each other. :)

On the positive side:
I use iNi to give me good ideas of what things could be like in the near future, if I put my mind towards making these changes. Those changes are mostly about very practical, tangible things or situations, because my temperament is still SP regardless of what functions I'm using. I like to envision desirable changes in my mind, and then go about trying to see if I can make them a reality. An example would be envisioning a new kind of program for kids where I work, or envisioning how a room could look with repainted walls a little shifting around of furniture, or refurbishing something ugly so that it's usable and beautiful again.

I've heard Ni referred to as "scenario thinking" by someone who is domNi, and I really like that explanation, because I can see that at work in myself. Sometimes ideas come in bits and pieces, and I work with what I get whenever it comes to me. Sometimes the idea comes packaged as a whole -- often with regards to an art project in which I've been trying all sorts of ways to say something visually and nothing's working. I find if I leave it alone for a bit, sometimes, all of a sudden (and when I'm not even conscious of thinking of it) a fully-formed finished image will pop into my mind of what I want it to look like, and I use that for inspiration.

It shows up negatively in situations where I'm unsure of how to make any positive changes or bring about a good outcome. I can obsessively dwell on negative scenarios that play out in my mind of how things will play out in the near future. Sometimes my imagination runs away with me and I start envisioning these totally unrealistic scenarios that I'd never actually run up against but which seem very real to me at the time I'm thinking of them, and that can affect my mood for almost the entire day. Sometimes I find myself starting to treat people as though they've already acted in real life like they did in the scenario I've been toying with in my mind. That can be a problem.

Sarah

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In theory, I think Ni is what helps an SP be more spontaneous, as opposed to the NJ, who more likely plans the actions of their tertiary/inferior functions.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Tertiary Temptation
For introverts
"When introverts run into a situation that their Dominant Function can't handle, they need to adapt by negotiating, going along with the limitations of low-bandwidth social interaction, or otherwise doing something that does not involve total control or understanding of the situation. The Tertiary Function provides justification for maintaining an Introverted approach directly opposite to the worldly expansiveness that the person is ready for."

"Tertiary Ni: "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man. I'd just be serving his interests and not my own. I'm not gonna be suckered by all this self-serving bull. No way, man, I gotta go my own way." Or "Why should I imitate the cool people? Despite their shiny clothes and social connections, they are still as vulnerable as anyone else.""

Introverted Intuition
"...tertiary Ni can give ISFPs the will to hold to a belief even when others don't agree with it..."

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
In theory, I think Ni is what helps an SP be more spontaneous, as opposed to the NJ, who more likely plans the actions of their tertiary/inferior functions.

Actually, I find Se the function related to spontaneity, not Ni. When I'm envisioning how something could be, I'm not interacting with what's happening at the moment. I'm purposely mentally detaching myself. Or maybe I misunderstood you -- you're saying we use it in tandem with Se in the present moment to change something about real life, right here and now? I can see how it could work that way as long as it works together with Se, and Se is the more dominant function.

Sarah

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
KnightsWhoSayNi.jpg

We are the Knights who Say "Ni."

wolfy

awsm
"Tertiary Ni: "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man. I'd just be serving his interests and not my own. I'm not gonna be suckered by all this self-serving bull. No way, man, I gotta go my own way." Or "Why should I imitate the cool people? Despite their shiny clothes and social connections, they are still as vulnerable as anyone else.""

"...tertiary Ni can give ISFPs the will to hold to a belief even when others don't agree with it..."

Been reading my mind?

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I find if I leave it alone for a bit, sometimes, all of a sudden (and when I'm not even conscious of thinking of it) a fully-formed finished image will pop into my mind of what I want it to look like, and I use that for inspiration.

Totally! If I cant think of how to do something at that moment I just ignore it (...or get pissed off, one or the other :cheese:) and then come back and think "EUREKA!"

We are the Knights who Say "Ni."

Dont even get me started on that movie. :D
Actually, I find Se the function related to spontaneity, not Ni. When I'm envisioning how something could be, I'm not interacting with what's happening at the moment. I'm purposely mentally detaching myself. Or maybe I misunderstood you -- you're saying we use it in tandem with Se in the present moment to change something about real life, right here and now? I can see how it could work that way as long as it works together with Se, and Se is the more dominant function.

I find that 99% of my humor comes from weird ideas that pop in my head from what happened now, leading to a LOT of one-liners. I don't think I can really use Ni without Se. Well, my planning is pretty quick 'Okay the TV wont fit, so lets flip stuff around' - I don't usually find the most efficient way the first time (Or second).

Another with tertiary Ni, since its more spontaneous since it supports Se, it leads to sudden insight (Like when I play Halo 3 with friends, I suddenly learn to step back and shoot the Assault Rifle instead of try and hit them again. And it works!). Its a short-range planning, more shotgun than tripmine (Where you need to use strategy to lay down)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
no 'cause it's not real.
srrynub.

Please extrapolate on that statement.

Dost thou mean that things in the head are imaginary? Well of course they are!

Why you had to add srrnub, I must guess it was a form of elitist behavior associated with Highschool jocks, Lawyers, ESTPs ;) and my little brother.

Now do you want to associate with people like my little brother!? :shock:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
If your brother doesn't believe that tertiary functions exist, then I'd love to meet him.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think he knows what MBTI is. So I guess he does not believe Tertiary functions exist... OR he just doesn't care and thus that is all void.

You still need to extrapolate.

( Thus the topic derails and the passengers scream as the cars of the train crumple into each other like forcibly stacked cardboard boxes )

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
well..if this is relavant to this thread, I'd like to add that my best friend is an ESFP and even though he isn't formiliar with the MBTI, he always tells me that I bring out the true nature of him, and that he's always himself around me..which I have sort of taken as dominant SP showing..if you know at all what I'm talking about.