• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] How does tertiary Ni affect us SPs?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tertiary Temptation
For introverts
"When introverts run into a situation that their Dominant Function can't handle, they need to adapt by negotiating, going along with the limitations of low-bandwidth social interaction, or otherwise doing something that does not involve total control or understanding of the situation. The Tertiary Function provides justification for maintaining an Introverted approach directly opposite to the worldly expansiveness that the person is ready for."

"Tertiary Ni: "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man. I'd just be serving his interests and not my own. I'm not gonna be suckered by all this self-serving bull. No way, man, I gotta go my own way." Or "Why should I imitate the cool people? Despite their shiny clothes and social connections, they are still as vulnerable as anyone else.""

Introverted Intuition
"...tertiary Ni can give ISFPs the will to hold to a belief even when others don't agree with it..."

Ni is not all negative as a tertiary function though. You need to learn to use Ni and balance it with your Se. S like facts and detail, where N likes possibilities. S can shoot N down and N can shoot S down. If I am stuck and need help I turn to Ni. Whatever Ni comes up with I try and use Se to verify or prove it. Its like an N arguing with a S. We can shoot down there theories and possibilities with fact. They can shoot down something we believe to be fact with theory or the how and why. When in N mode I get these thoughts and immediatley have to use my Se and verify if they are true. With an Ne they can branch out without actually having data to support, To me Ni seems to need data or else it goes the wrong way. I get alot of data for Ni by learning why and how things work. Being introverted I read alot. I like theory that contains alot of data and facts that are known to be true. If I let my Ni take over though it makes me think that what my Ni comes up with as fact(become stubborn with what I think is fact). So to stay healthy as an Se and not let Ni take over we need to question our Ni and verify what it comes up with before we act on it.

To give an example. I see alot of N and S in my son(he is almost 5). He becomes very stubborn because he takes his N as fact. He will argue "I know you did this because of..." Using something Se as a reason. He is using N supported by S and believes what N decides to be a fact and becomes very stubborn and hard headed even when I prove him wrong with Se and his Fe comes out with a grunt. Eventually his hard headed ness goes away and out comes the sad/mad face, he knows he was wrong but doesnt want to admit defeat. Holy crap that was one of those "ah-ha" moments, tying together something I my Ni came up with and actual Se data.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To give an example. I see alot of N and S in my son(he is almost 5). He becomes very stubborn because he takes his N as fact. He will argue "I know you did this because of..." Using something Se as a reason. He is using N supported by S and believes what N decides to be a fact and becomes very stubborn and hard headed even when I prove him wrong with Se and his Fe comes out with a grunt. Eventually his hard headed ness goes away and out comes the sad/mad face, he knows he was wrong but doesnt want to admit defeat. Holy crap that was one of those "ah-ha" moments, tying together something I my Ni came up with and actual Se data.

To summarize, to strengthen our tertiary Ni function we need lots of Se data and to stay healthy we must never believe that what our Ni comes up with as fact or truth. We need to stay open and flexible with what we come up with.

Hopefully I am not way off.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Sarah referred me to Dario Nardi’s book "8 Keys to Self Leadership: from Awareness to Action" which says:
We can get powerful results using extraverted Sensing in tandem with introverted Intuiting. We can be very tuned in to the surrounding environment, with anticipation of what’s coming next. We may constantly read our industry’s current news to be sure to catch the next wave of innovations. Or we can engage people in fun activities, drawing them out and helping them transform themselves. We might pull a shy person onto the dance floor, convinced that there is an inner dancer waiting to be released; that person experiences his or her potential firsthand. Or we might shape the current context to what we envision it can be, like a sculptor who can “see” the final statue within a chunk of marble and sculpts everything else away to get to it.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Do estp lose things too ? (cough)
I'm trying to bond here

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tertiary is imaginary.

Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities.

Would you say your Si is stronger than your Ne, and has it always been that strong or only become stronger with time?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

How do you know?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wrote: "Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities."
Would you say your Si is stronger than your Ne, and has it always been that strong or only become stronger with time?
How do you know?

According to the JCF tests I've taken, my Si is not stronger than my Ne. But they conflict nevertheless. So for [MENTION=4358]Jeffster[/MENTION], the answer to how I know is when a type of conflict presents itself in my mind. Ne despises control; Si despises chaos. The type of control that Ne despises is that which stifles its need for creativity and limits possibilities. Ne needs to experience change; Si needs to experience sameness and routine.

My work demands Si sameness and routine. Most work does. It took me many years to get used to the idea. Many times in the past, Ne invoked Shadow Ni in order to create a depressing view of my future as one of dull sameness. I know it was Ni because of its method of relating the past into the future via the present. It was a bad habit of thinking that was undercutting any idea of hope for the future, and so it needed to be stopped. Exercising Si by focusing on the moment in terms of rules that I set for myself (Si is rules-oriented), and then on short-term positive goals, helped keep my mind grounded and killed most of Ni's shadowy aspects.

Later, there came the terror of having to take phone calls at a new job. These were/are tech support calls and not sales-related or collection agency work (thank god). I focused my energies on helping people with their computer problems and learning more useful techniques for fixing computer software, as well as obeying the rules of a company whereas previously I had created my own rules. After almost five years of that I now feel Si strong enough to take on sales or collection agency work involving grouchy people if I have to. The Ne need for spontaneity can come later, during breaks or after work, and of course there are the weekends to look forward to.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wrote: "Si-tertiary has been a compelling force in my psyche for maybe 25 years. The problem with TiNe is its correlation with living in one's head and neglecting real-life necessities."

According to the JCF tests I've taken, my Si is not stronger than my Ne. But they conflict nevertheless. So for [MENTION=4358]Jeffster[/MENTION], the answer to how I know is when a type of conflict presents itself in my mind. Ne despises control; Si despises chaos. The type of control that Ne despises is that which stifles its need for creativity and limits possibilities. Ne needs to experience change; Si needs to experience sameness and routine.

My work demands Si sameness and routine. Most work does. It took me many years to get used to the idea. Many times in the past, Ne invoked Shadow Ni in order to create a depressing view of my future as one of dull sameness. I know it was Ni because of its method of relating the past into the future via the present. It was a bad habit of thinking that was undercutting any idea of hope for the future, and so it needed to be stopped. Exercising Si by focusing on the moment in terms of rules that I set for myself (Si is rules-oriented), and then on short-term positive goals, helped keep my mind grounded and killed most of Ni's shadowy aspects.

Later, there came the terror of having to take phone calls at a new job. These were/are tech support calls and not sales-related or collection agency work (thank god). I focused my energies on helping people with their computer problems and learning more useful techniques for fixing computer software, as well as obeying the rules of a company whereas previously I had created my own rules. After almost five years of that I now feel Si strong enough to take on sales or collection agency work involving grouchy people if I have to. The Ne need for spontaneity can come later, during breaks or after work, and of course there are the weekends to look forward to.

No, I mean how do you know any of that is "Si" or "Ni" or whatever?