• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs: Help me understand you by describing yourselves?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been into MBTI for six months or so and I've read quite a bit about it and spent a lot of time doing personal research on it.

As an ENTP I keep solid mental databases and always look for new connections between things, and I know at least a couple people of every type...except ISFP.

I have misdiagnosed several people (including ISFJs, INFPs, and even an INFJ) as ISFP, but it seems that without a basis for comparison I fundamentally misunderstand much of what really defines the ISFP.

ISFPs--if you have friends in similar types (ISFJ, INFP, ISTP, etc.), which of your qualities do you notice that separates you from them?

Not being able to complete analysis of this logical system is really rather irksome to this curious ENTP. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
uhhh..we smell nicer than they do?

wolfy

awsm
ISFPs--if you have friends in similar types (ISFJ, INFP, ISTP, etc.), which of your qualities do you notice that separates you from them?

Not being able to complete analysis of this logical system is really rather irksome to this curious ENTP. ;)

Here is a link comparing IFPs.

IFP comparisons

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
uhhh..we smell nicer than they do?

Jeffster, don't forget, we're also flirtier than they are. See the polls re introverts and flirtation. ;)

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/relationships/10508-introvert-type-can-flirt-best.html

I've been into MBTI for six months or so and I've read quite a bit about it and spent a lot of time doing personal research on it.
As an ENTP I keep solid mental databases and always look for new connections between things, and I know at least a couple people of every type...except ISFP.
I have misdiagnosed several people (including ISFJs, INFPs, and even an INFJ) as ISFP, but it seems that without a basis for comparison I fundamentally misunderstand much of what really defines the ISFP.

Well, I can understand how difficult it is for you. Accurately typing people is not a piece of cake. It took me years to accurately identify people in my own family, let alone everyone I know. ISFPs can be a challenge to correctly type because we are very flexible and can appear to be whatever we think we need to be in the present moment. I would say that you'd have to find out WHY we do the things we do in order to figure out what core values and needs we are trying to meet.

I think all ISFPs seek freedom to make our own choices, but some of us can get stuck feeling like there are a few speical people we need to measure up to or please. So you may not always be noticing "freedom" in our behavior choices. ISFPs, like all SPS, like to know that what they're doing is making an immediate positive impact on others. But exactly what we do for impact is person-specific. A lot of people like to think of ISFPs as artistic or musically talented, but that's not true for all of us. Most of us end up finding some talent we're good at and then exploit it in a good way.

I could tell you how I differ from people I know of the other three types, but I don't know how much that would help, since these traits may just be them and not relevant for everyone of those types:

ISTJ sister -- much more into planning for the future than me, extremely responsible, very organized, not playful with anyone outside her family/circle of close friends, likes to know what to expect before she goes into any new situation, very much into finding out how to maximize the benefit she gets out of activities she enjoys and minimize the frustration and guess-work involved.

[me in contrast -- I'm not all that interested in future planning unless we're planning something fun and I can start working on it immediately. I'm not all that organized, I'm very playful with anyone who's friendly, I like spontaneity, and I definitely think improvising in the present moment is fun rather than a stressor.]

ISFJ dad -- very much a caretaker of the feelings of everyone in our family, holds himself responsible for way more than he needs to, takes on volunteer projects that take up most of his time in an effort to be of service to others, likes to know what to expect before he goes into new situations, never enjoys being in the spotlight.

[me: I'm easily able to say "no" to anything that's going to consume a lot of my time unless I feel passionately about that particular project. I do not feel responsible for others' feelings the way he does. Plus, I enjoy being in the spotlight on occasion, especially if it's becase people want to celebrate something I've done that I'm proud of.]

INFP friend -- doesn't pay too much attention to physical surroundings unless things are pointed out to her, not very appearance-conscious, very heavily interested in spirituality to the point where everything becomes a spiritual discipline, can accurately assess what people are really trying to tell her and share with them what they need to hear rather than what they think they need or are asking for.

[me: Like her, I'm very in-tune with being able to read other people's feelings, but I'm not very good at telling them what they need most to hear -- I often just address what I'm looking at, at the moment, rather than noticing what's going on underneath the surface. I'm also a lot better at the physical, aesthetic stuff.]

Like I said, other individuals of those types may or may not relate to what I wrote, so I'm just using them as comparisons for my personality. :)

Sarah
ISFP

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, thanks Sarah! That was really helpful. According to socionics.com (I'm not sure how credible it is...) the ISFP is my "relationship of duality", or basically the most perfect match for me in a romantic context. Figures it'd be the ONLY type I haven't met anyone from, doesn't it?

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, thanks Sarah! That was really helpful. According to socionics.com (I'm not sure how credible it is...) the ISFP is my "relationship of duality", or basically the most perfect match for me in a romantic context. Figures it'd be the ONLY type I haven't met anyone from, doesn't it?

Are you really from ATL? There's a socionics community in ATL, Georgia.

I dunno about that dualty...I've studied socionics for almost a year now and I have doubts...I find that as an ISFp I often mesh the best with ENTps on a mental level but not so much on other levels. There could be other factors involved of course though.