• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs - Do you have the hermit/non-conformist/wonderer/philosopher tendencies?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This is what my brother is like and he's ISFP. Really interesting, funny and a good guy.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
This is what my brother is like and he's ISFP. Really interesting, funny and a good guy.

I'm certainly very introspective, and I wonder about stuff that interests me. I don't really care whether or not any of my choices are popular or not (I do what I want to do, and I couldn't care less what's considered "in" or cool), so I guess that qualifies as being non-conformist. I'm not a hermit, though -- I can be by myself for a day or two, but then I get lonely. :)

Sarah
ISFP

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
My brother can shut himself away for a day or two at a time as well (which is more than I think I'm comfortable with) although he does have a side to him that really enjoys the company and fellowship with others but I could easily see him being able to just leave every thing and be ok on his own if he felt he needed it for some sort of introspective enlightenment.

Have you ever seen the movie or read the book "Into The Wild"? Can you identify with it much? My brother reminds me of that guy (just my brother isn't as much of a prick as Chris McCandless comes across as).

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Hermit: yes, I have a very small social circle and am completely happy doing things by myself.

Non-conformist: I suppose so, yes. I often like ideas or am drawn to things because they are unpopular or unnoticed by others. If things make sense to me I will tend to do them, regardless of what others may be doing, I like doing things my own way and am certainly not afraid to be a spoilsport when it comes to peer presure and all that crap.

Wonderer: YES! I am fascinated by the world around me and I often just sit back and admire the beauty and wonder of the natural world. I often contemplate how amazing it is that we actually exist and that I myself exist.

Philospher: I suppose, though I don't tend to verbalise my musings.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
My brother can shut himself away for a day or two at a time as well (which is more than I think I'm comfortable with) although he does have a side to him that really enjoys the company and fellowship with others but I could easily see him being able to just leave every thing and be ok on his own if he felt he needed it for some sort of introspective enlightenment.

Have you ever seen the movie or read the book "Into The Wild"? Can you identify with it much? My brother reminds me of that guy (just my brother isn't as much of a prick as Chris McCandless comes across as).

Hahahaha! I read the book and saw the movie and wondered also if McCandless wasn't a total ISFP! Sure, he was sort of pseudo-philosophical, but it was all kind of related to DOING stuff that he felt somehow made a difference, at least to him. He was TOTAL Fi +Se -- oh my god! :laugh:

I can't say I really had any desire to go hitchhiking around the country, much less hiking in Alaska by myself (I'm too addicted to my creature comforts... I love warmth, good food, etc.) But I do relate highly to his wanting to live his life on his OWN terms, and his efforts to divorce himself from other people's expectations, particularly his familys' hopes that he would choose a college and career based on social status. I can also relate to his struggle to accept people in his family whom he believed had behaved in ways that were inexcusable according to his own personal code of ethics - not that my family had big problems, but I think if I had been a member of his family, I'd have felt the same way.

Sarah
ISFP

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Awesome! It seems I made a valid comparison! I usually suck at stuff like that.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
hermit - no
non-conformist - yes
wonderer - what?
philosopher - no

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hermit: yes, I have a very small social circle and am completely happy doing things by myself.

Non-conformist: I suppose so, yes. I often like ideas or am drawn to things because they are unpopular or unnoticed by others. If things make sense to me I will tend to do them, regardless of what others may be doing, I like doing things my own way and am certainly not afraid to be a spoilsport when it comes to peer presure and all that crap.

Wonderer: YES! I am fascinated by the world around me and I often just sit back and admire the beauty and wonder of the natural world. I often contemplate how amazing it is that we actually exist and that I myself exist.

Philospher: I suppose, though I don't tend to verbalise my musings.

!!! :)

wolfy

awsm
Hermit: Yes and No. With a slight lean to the yes

Non-conformist: I'm aware of social convention and will flout them if necessary. I try not to be as reactionary these days though.

Wonderer: I'm very curious.

Philospher: Yes! To the eternal amusement of others.

I am also a really interesting, funny and a good guy. If I do say so myself.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Do you have the....

hermit...Yep. Or I prefer to have large blocks of time alone. I find personal interaction with others taxing, even when it is pleasant. This seems to contradict my drive to "help" people...friends in need, students, strangers..I feel the drive to help but when that is done, I don't want to be compensated or praised just leave me alone now...

non-conformist...to most societal expectations, yes. I seem to have an inverted sense of what is important to my comtemporaries...well most of them anyway. To the point that I cannot comprehend what motivates (or seems to) the public. Hence my troubles as an entrepeneur....

wonderer...I am regularly distracted and intrigued by all sorts of phenomena...and curious about the why and wherefore...it is sort of like a drug that takes me away from thinking about immediate problems...but does refresh me...

philosopher tendencies...Yep. It is a self indulgence that I find hard to control.

D

Dali

Hermit - Semi-hermit. I can spend a week in my flat reading novels and with little interpersonal contact. I can easily live a month in a cabin by myself.
Non-conformist - YES
Wonderer - I suppose. I can spend 5 hours on wikipedia reading about seemingly irrelevant stuff. Has happened A LOT. You know, where you start off reading about Organisational Behaviour and several hours later, you're reading about the mating habits of Lyrebirds.
Philosopher - To some extent.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Wonderer - I suppose. I can spend 5 hours on wikipedia reading about seemingly irrelevant stuff. Has happened A LOT. You know, where you start off reading about Organisational Behaviour and several hours later, you're reading about the mating habits of Lyrebirds.

hahahahaha! I do that too! :laugh: I'm such an addict when it comes to useless information that just simply fascinates me at the time. And then I wonder later why I just spent several hours reading about something that never up until now interested me.

Sarah
ISFP

D

Dali

hahahahaha! I do that too! :laugh: I'm such an addict when it comes to useless information that just simply fascinates me at the time. And then I wonder later why I just spent several hours reading about something that never up until now interested me.

Sarah
ISFP

I know! And the funny thing is I don't store the facts like an Si would and eventually forget half of what I read. It's just for the enjoyment derived at the time from finding out that, for instance, shrews are the only rodents with a venomous bite or, the capacity of a Boeing Dreamliner in standard and all-economy configuration.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I know! And the funny thing is I don't store the facts like an Si would and eventually forget half of what I read. It's just for the enjoyment derived at the time from finding out that, for instance, shrews are the only rodents with a venomous bite or, the capacity of a Boeing Dreamliner in standard and all-economy configuration.

Yeah, exactly, only I find I forget bits and pieces of it but retain other bits (usually the really bizarre bits), so years later when something reminds me of a thing I've read, when I try to talk about it, I sound completely idiotic.

I didn't know shrews had a venemous bite! Thank you, now I'm going to imagine what a shrew attack looks and feels like all morning! :happy2:

Sarah
ISFP

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yes I sometimes envy that Si recall of facts and details, I will read something and usually retain the general "gist" of what I'm reading but nothing very specific, although like Sarah said the really bizarre things I discover tend to pop into my head every now and then, other people are like "How the heck do you know that?" and I have no idea I just know I read it somewhere.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Hermit - Only about once a month. I am a social butterfly for the most part. I think my E is well defined.

Non-conformist - I think I conform just enough to get by. Most of the time I am trying to gauge how far I can push boundaries, and then I push them exactly that far all the time.

Wonderer - If you mean daydreaming and the like, not really. I tend to wonder about what I am going to have for dinner, or what kind of beer I want to drink tonight, or how the hell I ended up with two different colored socks today.

Philosopher - Nah, I leave philosophy to the pros. I don't ever think about why I am, I just am. Usually if I want to know how something works, I take it apart, and since I can't do that to people (legally), I don't pay attention to it.

snusmumrik

MBTI Type
ISFP
hermit:
I need my own space, but at the same time, I love being around people, as long as the athmosphere is relaxed and free. I don't see myself as a hermit, but when I'm with people, I am not so interested in getting to know them as I am in having fun and connecting on a practical level. But that's very important for me. If I spend too much time alone I get depressed.

non-conformist:
I don't know. In a way I conform, but I'm probably more relaxed about it than some SJ-types :)

wonderer:
No, When I was younger I thought that I was a wonderer, but I have realized that I am not. I'm more interested in the experience.

philosopher:
Well, people THINK that I am a philosopher, but really, I'm not. Sometimes I can say smart things, but that is a result of feeling.