• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP Advice

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFPs, those of you that have lived awhile, what advice would you give to us younger ISFPs?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You should to travel to Texas and go out with me. :happy:

wolfy

awsm
Be aware that you have something valuable to offer.
Figure out where your passions lie.
Some kind of skill. A way in which to express yourself.
Master the way you have chosen and then express yourself fully.

That and save 10% of your income.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
ISFPs, those of you that have lived awhile, what advice would you give to us younger ISFPs?

Does being 37 qualify as old enough? ;) I'm still figuring out what's real and what's not, but some things I've learned over the past five years are:

1. Just because I feel something to be true doesn't necessarily mean it's true all of the time, for all people. My feelings right here and now are not always the best indicator of what's fact and what's not. Often what I know to be true in my mind doesn't match what I feel might be true. Very few circumstances merit the words "always" or "never".
  2. Beating myself up for my failures never helps me get beyond them. Sometimes it's fine to just exist. I don't need to actually produce lots of "wow" experiences for others in order to have a positive impact. I've been told by people whom I believe are being sincere and honest that my just being who I am has had a positive impact on them, and I need to work on accepting that this is true rather than doubting it. Racking up all sorts of tangible achievements isn't the same thing as having a positive impact on others. Someday I hope to fully believe that with my heart, not just with my mind.
  3. Just because someone says an opinion or an idea is true (or "fact") doesn't mean it actually is. Many times, people's statements of fact simply reflect what they want to believe is true.
  4. It's worthwhile to pick my battles, and not allow myself to feel I need to fight everybody who says something that offends my sense of what's right and wrong. I sometimes manage to get my point across, but the next moment, someone could come along and undo (or simply choose not to value) everything I've tried to accomplish. Sometimes I just need to be my myself to determine whether this is a battle that needs to be fought or not.
  5. It's worthwhile to take some time to envision what I ultimately want to achieve before I plunge ahead with a project. Having a vision in mind keeps me focused on results rather than getting sidetracked. ANd self-discipline is something that doesn't come naturally to a lot of people, including me, but is worth cultivating even if I never really feel I measure up to what I think I could be.

These are a few off the top of my head... I'm sure I'll think of more during the day. :)

Sarah
ISFP

wolfy

awsm
But... I'd prefer to go backpacking for 5 months now and not when I'm 60.

p.s. Thanks for sharing, guys. :)

Yeah I went hitchhiking around for years when I was in my early 20's. It's good to travel before you have kids.

Save when you have money coming in. Keep hold of the base money. Don't use it all. At least that's what I never did. ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
What about career wise? Are you guys career minded people or is it something you struggle with like me? When I am interviewed for jobs I know they want me to be this super ambitious career driven person but I'm just not. All I really want is financial security for myself and to start a family, along with a bit of flexibility. Almost all of my ambitions lie outside of work. I feel I have made a lot of poor decisions in the past when it comes to career/work.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^My brother had no interest in work or pursuing education for getting into a career. He likes knowledge and wisdom but is very focused and driven towards things that are of no relation to material stability.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
^My brother had no interest in work or pursuing education for getting into a career. He likes knowledge and wisdom but is very focused and driven towards things that are of no relation to material stability.

Yep, sounds exactly like me! Or at least, I was that way until I finished college and wondered "now what"? All of a sudden it hit me that nobody was going to take care of me and I had to get a job that gave me enough to live on. I had majored in fine art in college, which isn't exactly the most practical thing, but at the time, all I cared about was drawing and printmaking. So I bit the bullet enrolled in grad school to get a degree in library science, so I could have a day job that brought me an actual salary. ;)

I still do my art (I just don't make a living off of it), and I've found ways to love my job as a children's librarian. So it's good. I have no doubt your brother will eventually find a practical job that he can find ways of making fun, and he can always keep learning whatever he feels like in his free time. :)

Sarah
ISFP

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I was that way until I finished college and wondered "now what"? All of a sudden it hit me that nobody was going to take care of me and I had to get a job that gave me enough to live on.

I am at that stage right now, I wonder how common it is for educated ISFPs, do you suppose it might be a result of a lack of planning and foresight, simply going with the flow?

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I am at that stage right now, I wonder how common it is for educated ISFPs, do you suppose it might be a result of a lack of planning and foresight, simply going with the flow?

It certainly was for me. I had no interest in planning for the future at that time -- all I really cared about was doing what I felt like doing for the 4 years I was in college. My two main interests at the time were art and boyfriends. Everything else was trivial. ;) Up until the time I graduated, I seriously never considered my future at all. So with no aim in mind, I got a dumb retail job that I hated just so I could be working, and within a couple of months, I was looking into applying for grad school to get a practical degree.

Sarah
ISFP

wolfy

awsm

I am like this too. I didn't go to university just wasted the first 10 years on odd jobs. It wasn't till I found a passion for training and coaching that I really focused on my career.
It really is true about ISFPs needing to find something they have a passion for.
Something that fits with their values.
My regret is not looking at myself and working out what was important to me and developing the skills in the right direction earlier.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow.

I'm the odd duck.

I already know what I want to do with my life and I'm working towards it.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Wow.

I'm the odd duck.

I already know what I want to do with my life and I'm working towards it.

Woohoo! Seriously, that's wonderful! You're way ahead of the game, then. :)

Sarah