• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Ever resent being an SP?

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Ever sat down and wondered, how life would have been?, without the impulses, impatience, and generally null traits inherit in the SP tempraments?.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Ever sat down and wondered, how life would have been?, without the impulses, impatience, and generally null traits inherit in the SP tempraments?.

Wow, no, I don't think I've ever done that. I'm usually completely sold on my impulses -- they always strike me as being the most obvious thing to do under the present-moment cirucmstances. What I wonder more about is how people of the other three temperaments can function without having impulses and/or taking advantage of them. Heh!

Impatience? I've seen evidence of that in all the temperaments. I don't think any one temprament is really more mature than the rest of 'em. I used to kind of idealize the NF temperament when I first read about type, but I can't really say the ones I know personally have fewer problems than I do. Just diferent ones. ;)

What I also wonder about is how I might have developed if I weren't dominant introverted feeling, with a need to sort out my values constantly, and align my behavior with my values all the time. In particular, I wonder what would it have been like to be dominant extraverted sensing instead -- would I have been more adventurous? Would I be making more money off of my creative talents? What would it feel like to walk into a room and be able to charge it full of energy? What would it be like to feel comfortable initiating and sustaining conversations with strangers?

Sarah
ISFP

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

Not for one second. Mainly because I've never been a "what if" kind of guy, but I am also pretty content with my personality, null traits included.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Actually I have pondered on how my life would be different if I were a bit more impatient and impulsive in getting things done.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not that impulsive. In fact, my rare impulses are a welcome rescue from my usual over-thinking-ness. They are quite awesome. I would like to have more.

Perhaps because all us answering are ISxPs, we can't really relate?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I don't relate, but I'm not unreasonably impulsive (I think), so it rarely gets me into trouble.

Skyline

Never thought about "How life would've been".
I love being SP. And proud of it. Meheh. :D
Though I do resent my impatience and impulsivity sometimes, yeah...
In particular; the emotional impatience and impulsivity.
Now that you've mentioned it...
Oh well... Keeps me going, doesn't it.
I think it's also got to do with hormones or something,dunno
I'm growing, Growing! =)

Rebel Nun

MBTI Type
ISTP
Honestly, if I was anyone else but me, I wouldn't like myself as much. :) Others have much more stressful lives.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Like Sarah, I've thought more about what life would've been like if I had been more extroverted.

And also like Penguin, I'm not a "what if" guy, so I really haven't spent much time thinking about it. Although maybe a little more recently since I've been reading all this personality stuff.

While reading "Please Understand Me", I have had momentary wonderings of what it would feel like to be one of the other temperaments, because I think it's fun to imagine myself as playing other characters. I used to do it on the internet a lot.

But I don't go much beyond that, because spending too much time trying to think about impossible hypotheticals because it makes my eyes water and my head hurt.

Usehername

On a mission
Like Sarah, I've thought more about what life would've been like if I had been more extroverted.

And also like Penguin, I'm not a "what if" guy, so I really haven't spent much time thinking about it. Although maybe a little more recently since I've been reading all this personality stuff.

While reading "Please Understand Me", I have had momentary wonderings of what it would feel like to be one of the other temperaments, because I think it's fun to imagine myself as playing other characters. I used to do it on the internet a lot.

But I don't go much beyond that, because spending too much time trying to think about impossible hypotheticals because it makes my eyes water and my head hurt.

I can't imagine functioning without trying to get inside people's heads and see life the way they do--it's my natural modus operandi. I have to strategize to understand.

I've been trying to live more in the moment--the "be here now" mentality--but it's really (really) hard. :(

IMO, focusing on the present (with enough learned in hindsight to keep one healthy, and enough pattern recognition to not get caught by surprise and kicked off your feet all the time) is a very healthy way to approach life and I want to achieve this better than I currently do.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I can't imagine functioning without trying to get inside people's heads and see life the way they do--it's my natural modus operandi. I have to strategize to understand.

I've been trying to live more in the moment--the "be here now" mentality--but it's really (really) hard. :(

IMO, focusing on the present (with enough learned in hindsight to keep one healthy, and enough pattern recognition to not get caught by surprise and kicked off your feet all the time) is a very healthy way to approach life and I want to achieve this better than I currently do.

i hear that. over thinking has become my signature, and though i've tried toning it down, it's really hard :D.

i'm glad all the SP's are happy with who they are. a little pride goes a long way.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
i'm glad all the SP's are happy with who they are. a little pride goes a long way.

There have definitely been times that I'm not happy with who I am.

wolfy

awsm
There have definitely been times that I'm not happy with who I am.

There are times when I've been down on myself for stuff. But I've always put it down to general incompetence not type.

You know I never thought of blaming stuff on my type that might come in handy. :devil:
Good for the ego to have a scapegoat. :yes:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are times when I've been down on myself for stuff. But I've always put it down to general incompetence not type.

You know I never thought of blaming stuff on my type that might come in handy. :devil:
Good for the ego to have a scapegoat. :yes:

Yeah, it's actually helped me not judge myself as harshly, I'm like "that's just how you are."

alicia91

Nope - I've never wondered. I'm pretty happy with you I am.

I'm not impatient nor impulsive. Talk to my ENTJ husband about impatience, and ENFP daughter about impulsivity.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, it's actually helped me not judge myself as harshly, I'm like "that's just how you are."

Studying type has helped in that way also. More looking back on childhood though.
I think I've developed Se over the years so I can kind of relate to the OP but more in that I would have liked to have better control of my impulses and need to entertain and be skillful. So I don't wish for less of the traits of SP. I want the skills to fully utilise them.
That's not too much to ask for is it? :nono:

D

Dali

Yes, a little more J would take me a long way.

Though I'd rather be anything but ISFJ... even INTJ or something. Nothing personal.

But, the yearning only crops up once in a while. For instance; now, when I realise my 50-page dissertation is due in a 3 days and I'm yet to put pen to paper.

I had a whole year to complete it.