• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Which sense is your strongest?

Which sense is your strongest?

• Definitely sight

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Definitely hearing

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Balanced between hearing and sight

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Really good sense of smell

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Really good sense of touch

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Really good sense of taste

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, I can't see worth jack. Even my correction is like -7.5 dia. And I have astigmatism.

I can't smell things well either.

My sense of touch is okay, I guess. Never really thought about it before.

My sense of taste is okay, but not anything to throw a party about.

Hearing is probably my best sense, but only when it's really quiet. Then I can hear a pin drop. I have super-duper problems hearing when there is a lot of background noise (e.g.: party, club, etc.) Then it's like I'm deaf.

All in all, I'm really not in touch with my senses, I don't think. Maybe that's why I'm an N - as a coping mechanism? I might be talking out my ass, but it's just a random thought that popped into my head.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Touch, followed by hearing. Hearing probably used to be #1, but over 20 years of blasting my music loud has reduced that one a little.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Kind of a weird question, but I'm curious. Usually, it seems either Sight or Hearing is the strongest of a person's 5 senses. I guess we could give the honorable mention to unexpectedly strong Touch, Smell, or Taste, though.

My main reason for this thread: I have good Sight memory. If I see a word or a name once, I'll probably remember from there on out exactly how to spell it. Meanwhile, I have horrible Hearing memory. If I'm listening to someone talk and I'm not in closely-engaged conversation, I'm going to miss all the details, and almost always start drifting off. When I picture what that person is saying as written words, I automatically catch more of the content. Obviously, it helps the most when I write it down, so I can directly look at it. (I have college lectures in mind, specifically.)
Edit: I just remembered, I can keep a lot of details with me if I'm listening to someone intently--usually a good friend. But in everyday observation, it doesn't stick with me.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? Maybe it's the same for you, but with Hearing instead of Sight?

Taste isn't often experienced without smell. You can only taste 5, debate on 6, things. The rest of the flavor is down to smell. So it is unlikely that a person would have a really good sense of taste without smell. As being able to detect the flavor of something incorporates both.

Balance would have been a good one, or maybe awareness of pain.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
My sense of smell, I'm no bloodhound but I get more out of my sense of smell, or at least can remember times in which it triggered a wave of longing and rememberence just by smelling a particular smell.

I'm also the one on the bus holding a scarf over her nose because some passenger has just farted and I feel over powered yet everyone else is still breathing like nothing happened. :shock:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha! This thread has become hilarious. Last time I saw this was on post # 3 :yim_rolling_on_the_
Lithium said:
Taste isn't often experienced without smell. You can only taste 5, debate on 6, things. The rest of the flavor is down to smell. So it is unlikely that a person would have a really good sense of taste without smell. As being able to detect the flavor of something incorporates both.
Good point. I probably should have combined smell and taste.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
touch (which leads me to compulsively touch almost EVERYTHING :doh:) and taste- which I kinna have to have.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If anyone feels like tackling it, what did you think of the 2nd half of my OP? This thing:
OP said:
My main reason for this thread: I have good Sight memory. If I see a word or a name once, I'll probably remember from there on out exactly how to spell it. Meanwhile, I have horrible Hearing memory. If I'm listening to someone talk and I'm not in closely-engaged conversation, I'm going to miss all the details, and almost always start drifting off. When I picture what that person is saying as written words, I automatically catch more of the content. Obviously, it helps the most when I write it down, so I can directly look at it. (I have college lectures in mind, specifically.)
Edit: I just remembered, I can keep a lot of details with me if I'm listening to someone intently--usually a good friend. But in everyday observation, it doesn't stick with me.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? Maybe it's the same for you, but with Hearing instead of Sight?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
to make an extremely vague generalization:

SJ = occipital lobe = has something to do with eyesight

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Kind of a weird question, but I'm curious. Usually, it seems either Sight or Hearing is the strongest of a person's 5 senses. I guess we could give the honorable mention to unexpectedly strong Touch, Smell, or Taste, though.

I usually rely on hearing mostly, but I also have a good sight memory -
at least short term - it's even somewhat photographic.
I don't need (or want) to touch things.
My sense of smell is also pretty keen.
I can smell things my other family members don't.

lastrailway

I had never given too much thought to this, but, by seeing this poll, I realised that all of my senses function very well.

I have a famously good sight, I can spot things in very long distance and people usually ask me to check for, for instance, bus numbers, road signs, etc. I can't think of many people who have stronger sight than me.
My hearing is pretty good too, though I've never cared too much about it. I have a very strong sense of both smell and taste, especially smell might be my most sensitive sense and the one that can annoy me the most.

I think if I were a bit more observant, I could perceive an overly large number of information, by simply allowing my senses to function as they always do, and without the least additional effort of my part.

EDIT: Touch?! Sure, it's a sense, but how can it vary from one person to another? You have skin, you have touch. Except of course if we mean whether you prefer to use it as a mean to collect information, which in my case, I don't find extremely important the information touch can give me.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
  1. Vision: Not very good, but I depend on and focus on it by far the most.
  2. Touch: Probably average.
  3. Hearing: Not that good. It's sensitive enough, but I have difficulty distinguishing between sounds (music lyrics are often a complete no-go, for instance). Things tend to fade into the background, amplifying my already annoying tendency to space out and not notice stuff :D.
  4. Taste/Smell: Probably my worst. I tend not to notice a lot of smells, and although there are a lot of things that taste good, they're not particularly subtle - chocolate ice cream, etc.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I'm a great deal better at detection than discrimination. Memory is a different issue though. I think it ought to belong in a separate category. Noticing something is not the same as recalling it later. That said, my memory is pretty lousy unless I force myself to remember. I can't believe I completely forgotten I had a class Thursday morning... *smacks head*

Ummm breakdown...
Vision: Probably my dominant. I'm a visual learner. I'm good at tracking movement, bad at spotting details especially when there's too much flashing lights etc.
Hearing: Same as vision, I'm sensitive to sounds so long as I don't get overloaded. I can pinpoint them and distinguish between tones. It's usually easier for me to recall from images than sounds though.
Smell/Taste: Average I suppose. These two are the most difficult to describe with words so I can't exactly compare them with other people's.
Touch: Probably average. I depend on it much less than vision and hearing.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If anyone feels like tackling it, what did you think of the 2nd half of my OP? This thing:

I understand you entirely. My memory is flawed to begin with, but if someone says something that I don't already know, I nearly always make them write/spell it out so that I can understand what they're saying exactly. My ears blurr P's, B's, D's etc. so its easy for me to lose meaning. On top of that, my mind starts to wander WHILE I'm in conversation, even if I REALLY want to hear what they have to say. Meanwhile, when reading, I'm capable of going at my own pace and let things settle in. The words don't fade, and there's a sense of security in that for me.

I'm very good at things like lining things up, memorizing colors, and other things that come with good sight memory.

Nearly always though if I smell or taste something, that memory of it is with me. I can remember the way things tasted years and years later.. One year, when I was still like 12 or something, we had this guy set up at the flea market selling homemade root beer. It was the best soda I ever had in my life, and I still remember the significant difference which makes me, to this day, refrain from the generic sodas in the stores that taste disgusting in comparison.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ

You're a visual learner as opposed to an aural learner. I am the same. Any information that comes in through your weaker learning sense isn't retained as well. That's my attempt :D

Nearly always though if I smell or taste something, that memory of it is with me. I can remember the way things tasted years and years later.. One year, when I was still like 12 or something, we had this guy set up at the flea market selling homemade root beer. It was the best soda I ever had in my life, and I still remember the significant difference which makes me, to this day, refrain from the generic sodas in the stores that taste disgusting in comparison.

My sense of smell is great. There are certain smells that have stayed very embedded in my memory and can affect mood as well. For me a few are the smell of new books, the antique smell of say a 40+ yr. old rusted Baritone Saxophone (the antique smell covers more than just the sax, but it was my first run-in with it; another would be my grandfather's nutcracker collection) and this certain perfume/cologne/lotion/etc. that I love smelling..even though I have no idea what it is.

Last edited:

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
INTj here. I have really good senses of touch and hearing (though apparently my hands are utterly insensitive to heat). I have almost no sense of smell and my sense of taste is slightly below average. I tell people apart by the sound of their voices, not by faces.

I also have no depth perception and almost no peripheral vision, so I've learned not to rely on my sight... unlike most people.