• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Understanding Male ISTJ Minds

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
All right, since so many have spilled their guts, I'll share something of my own. Also I'm very bored tonight.

I may have a small crush on a girl in my class. Maybe, I'm not sure. I don't spend time agonizing over it or anything. Strangely for her, she's the only girl in our very small class.

We were all working on group projects one day, and I ended up in a group with her. The teacher came around to check on our tasks, and that girl asked the teacher about where to get certain supplies. He said, "Did you try asking your partners? Cimarron, do you have that thing?" And I said yes, because I did. The teacher likes to joke around with (almost playfully pick on) us students; he's a student-teacher himself, so he pointed it out to her, "You see? Cimarron had it all along! Your partner is standing around waiting for you, wondering when you're going to ask him..." She started laughing, since he was just joking around with her, and I tried to laugh about it too and just brush it off: "Oh come on!" This was what I had in mind earlier in this thread or other threads when I mentioned "trying to distance myself from the idea of me liking her, hoping nobody notices it" but also "keeping in mind what she might think of me, and not sounding too harsh in my cover-up" since that would completely defeat the purpose. I know, it even sounds too complicated to me. Chalk the whole process up to shyness.

To kind of even everything out, when we were the last two people in class the next day, as she left I said goodbye, which I'd never bothered doing before. The next time, we were the last two out again, and as I was leaving she said goodbye to me! Cool. So I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's something I think about, a little bit.

I'm resisting the urge to "awww" at you. You probably wouldn't appreciate that. However, that (bolded part) does sound complicated. Do you think she's interested in you?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The only way anyone would even know I liked her would be if I've been too obvious already. That last paragraph there has me thinking that she at least knows who I am now...which is nice enough. It was nice to hear her say goodbye in a friendly voice. I don't think I'm up for pursuing a relationship right now, so its enough.

Oh yeah, and it does feel stupid to me to make it complicated like that. But I just don't like other people talking about or thinking about who I like, when I don't even know it myself yet.

Last edited:

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
So, I have another question. I was reading through this thread again, and thinking about my ISTJ friend and I noticed a common theme which we kind of talked about before, but not really (that was not a run-on sentence).

Most ISTJs on here have agreed that you kind of "let things play out" when it comes to romantic interests. But, I've noticed that you all seem to know exactly what you want when it comes to accomplishing/obtaining things. And, you're willing to work really hard to get it. So, why the passivity when it comes to relationships/dating? Especially if you are interested in a particular one.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't know about that one, sorry. For me, it's because that kind of thing is so hard to control that I wouldn't even bother trying. I guess that's what it is.

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Cimarron, I think you've nailed it here about ISTJ's and romance:

"trying to distance myself from the idea of me liking her, hoping nobody notices it"

That's exactly how we do it.

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't know. *sigh*
After ignoring/avoiding me after copying his words back to him, he completely disappeared for 10 days....to only show up today, swoop in and defend my work in writing against another male who basically made it sound as if I were a silly girl...and was gone before I saw him.

Guys, is this a game? :(

Doncha know what loyalty is?

Maybe he's got other priorities at the moment, but you are on his loyalty list forever, baby, and don't forget it.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cimarron, I think you've nailed it here about ISTJ's and romance:

"trying to distance myself from the idea of me liking her, hoping nobody notices it"

That's exactly how we do it.
I have the feeling that introverts in general do that. But maybe this is more specific, who knows?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is the most frustrating thing about an ISTJ... My mother is dating one and after a while she just got fed up because he wouldn't commit.. not because he didn't want to, but because he always had some excuse.. (busy, not enough money, etc. etc.)

My ISTJ friends do it, too. They end up sabotaging relationships without even trying to, and they need a lot of encouragement to move forward..
They can be that way with friendships too, and they keep calling to show that they care about you, but sometimes when it comes down to actually doing something, they always have work to do, studying, busy busy busy... I have trouble believing that they are seriously too busy all the time to get lunch or have relationships!!!

anyway, thats the end of my rant.

Now on to the possibly helpful part.
If you really want to date this ISTJ, just be prepared to deal with him being "busy", a lot. And if you're willing to handle it, then let him know, and then (hopefully), he'll date you.

(not helpful, I guess. but thats all I got.)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I don't know if any other ISTJ's are like this. Two things just happened to me in succession that completely threw me off balance.

First, I was waiting for my English class to start, and this girl that I've started talking to a lot was in the class that was ending next to it. We started chatting as usual, and then the teacher came out that knows I'm into Myers-Briggs. As she passed by, I stopped her to confirm my guess of her type, and I was right that she was an ENFJ. The girl I was talking to just made a weird face and looked like she thought I was getting too into MBTI. I then told her a little bit about it, and I felt like I lost her in that moment. I know she's an INTJ since she took it. But, just the feeling I got when I saw her look while I was talking about it hit me hard. I then started worrying about how her opinion of me just changed in that instant.

Then, my sister called me after my class, and told me she was looking at buying a computer at a thrift store. I took on the task of trying to fix her computer, bought new parts with her money but was still stumped on it. I was getting bogged down with school and work, so I lost touch with it. When she told me she was looking at buying those computers, the sinking feeling inside of me just plummeted. I wanted to cry. I felt like I had failed her in my promise.

And all of this is pretty much dealt with myself. I personally feel if I have to seek help with a personal issue, then I have failed at life. If you see me asking for someone's advice on something personal, then you know it's REALLY bad, I mean I'm falling apart. That's why I can't stand going to a therapist. Seeking advice from one means I'm admitting to myself that I can't hold my own counsel. That's a no-no.

I don't know if any other ISTJ's are like that, but the ISTJ sense of duty is at the center of everything for me, regardless of how tough I try to act. It's always a nagging feeling. Those two experiences right after each other made me suddenly become very pessimistic. I think it's Si just going into overdrive.

As for being passive in pursuing someone, I think it's because we, at least I, feel if we do something out of character, then the outcome of it is going to be something not in line with what we normally would expect. I mean, I'm normally a calm, predictable, analytical person. If I do something that makes me look reckless, for instance, but lands me a date, I wouldn't feel right about it. It happened in a way that wasn't natural to me. And yet, this passive-ness is what keeps us out of relationships. We're patient, but a lot of others aren't, so we try to keep up with the others, and in doing so, lose sight of who we really are. At least, that's how I've viewed it.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
So, I have another question. I was reading through this thread again, and thinking about my ISTJ friend and I noticed a common theme which we kind of talked about before, but not really (that was not a run-on sentence).

Most ISTJs on here have agreed that you kind of "let things play out" when it comes to romantic interests. But, I've noticed that you all seem to know exactly what you want when it comes to accomplishing/obtaining things. And, you're willing to work really hard to get it. So, why the passivity when it comes to relationships/dating? Especially if you are interested in a particular one.

A lot of this thread seems to still revolve around the idea that while they can control their own habits and accomplishments like the project they are working on, they go for it because they can rely on themselves without a doubt. The problem seems to come from having to calculate the other person into their equation. My two ISTJ co-workers explained it like this - Other people are unpredictable and they can't control the other person in a romantic situation, so they can't make anything happen.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't like to start what I can't finish. Sometimes that's why I end up stalling for so long...

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
A lot of this thread seems to still revolve around the idea that while they can control their own habits and accomplishments like the project they are working on, they go for it because they can rely on themselves without a doubt. The problem seems to come from having to calculate the other person into their equation. My two ISTJ co-workers explained it like this - Other people are unpredictable and they can't control the other person in a romantic situation, so they can't make anything happen.

oh, well that answers my question.

moonbaby

Doncha know what loyalty is?

Maybe he's got other priorities at the moment, but you are on his loyalty list forever, baby, and don't forget it.

?? I am so confused by this man! Please tell me what would bring you to your conclusion so perhaps I can better understand please. Thank you in advance. :)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I think I'm starting to understand this ENFJ duality thing. ENFJ's seem to have this ability get through my defenses. I think the problem that keeps us, or at least me, from ENFJ's is the very thing that attracts us to them. We're desperately in search of someone who has patience for a person that is rigid, critical, and non-conforming. ENFJ's seem to be free of society's grasp, and are able to understand us, so when we run into someone who has the patience for us, we are scared off by it. It's too good to be true.

I know at least two of the girls I work with are ENFJ's. One of them works in a department across the store, but I think tonight showed a lot to me. I went over to her department to talk to her while we waited to close. I was messing around with ladies clothes, tried on a christmas vest, and she couldn't stop laughing. Before I found out about MBTI, I knew there was something about her I liked. She's married, though. Near the end of the night when we were all in the break room waiting to clock out, she was standing REALLY close to me. She'd move to let others by her, but then she'd move back next to me and put her face closer to mine. She even stayed near me when we left the building. I mean I liked it, but it was weird.

Where can I find more of these ENFJ's that are actually available? I like them. I like them a lot.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
?? I am so confused by this man! Please tell me what would bring you to your conclusion so perhaps I can better understand please. Thank you in advance. :)
Remember that our advice/interpretations all depend on what his true feelings are for you, which is something we can't know.

Raz, maybe check out the NF Forum and ask them?

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Loyalty figures very, very high in the values table of ISTJ and ISFJ types.

Their word is their bond.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Loyalty figures very, very high in the values table of ISTJ and ISFJ types.

Their word is their bond.

ISTJs are very sincere in their loyalty, that is one of their defining characteristics, it is admirable.

moonbaby

Thank you...you guys put a different spin on the same words....how they are processed in my mind.

*yes....I appreciate his respect...but the yo-yo feels like a game to me because I am direct and blunt. I do not avoid. If I am engaging with you at any level of your life it is very clear...if not, you will know.

**he has told be before that he will always be there...no matter what. Forever. Though his other actions dictate not......if that makes sense.

Hugs to my favorite robots!

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
the yo-yo feels like a game to me because I am direct and blunt. I do not avoid. If I am engaging with you at any level of your life it is very clear...if not, you will know.

You need to take MBTI and what it offers you for self understanding, and understanding the other, and use it to yours and his benefit. 'Tis not a matter of saying 'This is the way I was in the beginning, am now and ever shall be, world without end'... that locks you down to type, when in fact, typology should open you up to self-understanding and hand you the strategies towards building bridges with others.

Being direct and blunt is confrontational and type or no type, people don't always respond to confrontation positively. And above all, if you want a relationship, then you need to make efforts into creating the ambience for a relationship to flourish.

The Chinese have a word, cultivate. I like it, for it gives me the freedom to cultivate my own understanding of typology, and cultivate my understanding of others. If I do that, then I can build ways into relating with them in a way that is appreciated by them.

MBTI hands you the skills, the data. Use it. But remember, don't hurt people.

moonbaby

You need to take MBTI and what it offers you for self understanding, and understanding the other, and use it to yours and his benefit. 'Tis not a matter of saying 'This is the way I was in the beginning, am now and ever shall be, world without end'... that locks you down to type, when in fact, typology should open you up to self-understanding and hand you the strategies towards building bridges with others.

Being direct and blunt is confrontational and type or no type, people don't always respond to confrontation positively. And above all, if you want a relationship, then you need to make efforts into creating the ambience for a relationship to flourish.

The Chinese have a word, cultivate. I like it, for it gives me the freedom to cultivate my own understanding of typology, and cultivate my understanding of others. If I do that, then I can build ways into relating with them in a way that is appreciated by them.

MBTI hands you the skills, the data. Use it. But remember, don't hurt people.

I think there is a communication error here. Direct and blunt does not mean without emotion or consideration. I am saying, you will know where you stand with me. There will be no confusion. My words and actions will match. With him, who I adore/admire/respect I get words that do not match his actions. If you take note...in these threads, there is a lot of confusion by those who care for istj's because of the signs/words/actions...or lack of them. I relate on a lot of levels, however you will never wonder if I care about you or not. ISTJ's seem to veil that, leaving a lot of confusion.
That makes it very difficult to build a bridge...no matter how badly I desire to do so.