• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Creativity

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Pardon me for dragging this stuff in BUT

about 20 years ago I changed religions to Hinduism.

One day I discovered the Brahma Gayatri. Lemme explain. Brahma is the creator in Hinduism and the source of all creativity. A gayatri is a specific mantra which counts to 21 syllables, follows Gayatri Metre, and both describes and invokes the attributes of the deity addressed. So, in search of creativity, about 15 years ago, when I discovered this particular prayer, I have been chanting it as a mantra whenever I need creativity. For me, it works, and whether or not that is self-fulfilling prophecy, well, that is your take. For me, it works, I believe. Here it is:

Om Parameshwaraya Vidmahe
Parratatvaya Dheemahe
Tanno Brahma Prachodayat

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm often praised as being creative with interior decoration. I actually think I'm resourceful and hard-headed. I get an idea of how things should be and I just keep moving the pieces around, adding and subtracting, until it feels right, and I'll use whatever I have. Like, I made cafe curtains and valances from a set of napkins, by hand. I mentioned it to a friend at work who couldn't imagine it, but she came over and was like, "Oh, that works!" Or I can walk into a room and see immediately how if you just tweak a couple of things, it will fall into place, the colors will flow better, or a certain theme will be better articulated. I like to work with objects, though.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This came up somewhere else on the forum, so I thought I'd focus on it.

Is there anybody else here who knows and admits (has come to terms with) lacking creativity and originality? From personal experience, I know I'm horrible at coming up with new ideas, but love picking apart other people's ideas. If you want an optimistic note, I think of it as being the gardener who trims the hedges, as opposed to the one planting them.

So is it just me? :mellow:

No, I've admitted to not being imaginative or creative, and frankly I couldn't care less, because I've got other attributes that I'm proud of. I work more like a robot than a person.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's going to be okay.

T-Guy

MBTI Type
ESTJ

Is there anybody else here who knows and admits (has come to terms with) lacking creativity and originality? From personal experience, I know I'm horrible at coming up with new ideas, but love picking apart other people's ideas. If you want an optimistic note, I think of it as being the gardener who trims the hedges, as opposed to the one planting them.

Yes I admit I'm not very creative nor imaginative, but I do make other people's ideas better.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes I admit I'm not very creative nor imaginative, but I do make other people's ideas better.
Exactly, that's how people like us contribute. :headphne:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ

LOL! Then they get mad at you for getting credit for their idea! :cheese:

Anyways, yeah I'm so not creative.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find that I am not very creative or original. When it comes to art I only enjoy or can remotely complete art that is either randomly abstract (very rarely) and more often then not, landscape art. When it comes to creative solutions it's just what appears logical based off my resources and occurs to me at the time. I hate sometimes not being able to come up with an original idea, but I work at it. I write songs, so that's a start, funny thing is most songs involve some passion on the part of the writer, good luck with that coming from me. :D

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Exactly, that's how people like us contribute. :headphne:
Exactly, I find that I can't create a ingenious idea on my own, but I can vastly improve another persons idea. So, maybe we all just need to use ourselves as focusing lenses.

One question that occurred to me do to the fact that each member of human kind is creative in their own way is this:

Is that magnification of others work a type of creativity in and of itself?

It can't just appear out of mid air. Not everything we do to improve others ideas and work is entirely logical.

Finally, can't we SJ's be creative in other ways? I mean, we might not be able to be inventive when it comes to pieces of art or poetic works, but we can be inventive when it comes to arguments and logic. We can come up with many different ways of arguing any one point. Sometime we just create random ones that throw others for a loop. Sometimes we just construct our ideas using a logical framework. Might this be considered creativity? Or might it not?

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
How odd.
:hi: I'm imaginative! In the sense of imagining narratives and scenarios... Until life took over I used to write many a short story and play - I actually got one of them performed in a school assembly! I've been too busy studying for the past 7 years of my life to engage in much creativity; it all comes out when I sleep though, in my vivid dreams and nightmares. I love them all. A new story every night :)

Having said that, I can do art but it's not something I'd make time to do at the moment, and I'm hopeless with creating or playing music. Love listening to it, which picks up on what people have said about appreciating others' creativity and possibly adapting it.

Does being analytical count as being creative?? It's creative use of thought, surely? I've always been told I'm analytical, but again, it's the whole idea of thinking of many scenarios...

warm8

MBTI Type
ESFP
hrm, well I make music and am majoring in studio art. :blush:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Warm8, Shadow, that's pretty cool. :D

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I love creative activities like dancing, playing instruments, theater, etc. However, I have no creativity whatsoever. I may have had some when I was little, but not any more.

Spectre of the spam

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Dude. You're describing me to a 'T'. I can see the faults in mine and other's ideas. An admittedly useful skill, but I suck at coming up with something original. I need an instruction manual to tell me what to do. For that reason and the fact I have little confidence in my own decisions without external approval. That got a little off topic, but I hope it helped.

EDIT: Seeing the post at the top of the screen made me want to clarify. I have a good imagination, maybe even a fantastic one, but that doesn't translate to real life useful skills unfortunately.