• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ and Relationship Conflicts

romivas

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFJ female in a long distance relationship with an ISTJ male. It's been almost 9 months now and things are great, but we still have trouble quickly resolving our conflicts. While the actual root of the issue eventually gets addressed, we end up arguing about the steps that it took to get there.

For example: I had done something to clearly upset him. When I asked him what I had done/why he was angry, he would keep responding with "nothing", "I'm fine", things of that sort. A whole day later, he finally tells me very passive aggressively ("I really enjoy it when you.....") and I apologized, hoping we could talk it through and resolve it then and there. He ignored me for another day and later said that he regretted saying anything in the first place because it was something that shouldn't have been a big deal and he just needed time to get over it.
I try to be straightforward about the things that upset me and what it is that I expect from him and our relationship. I've asked him in the past not to ignore me (and expressed how much I HATE it) and that if he needs space, to just let me know and I'll gladly give it to him. Almost all of our fights have been aggravated due to poor communication.
I finally got him on the phone to talk. To try to put it in perspective, I asked him if he'd be angry if I repeatedly did something that he specifically asked me not to do (referring to ignoring me rather than telling me he needs space), and he agreed that he would and didn't speak the rest of the night.

Is he handling this how a typical ISTJ would? What would you guys prefer your partner to do given you were in this situation?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
romivas said:
He ignored me for another day and later said that he regretted saying anything in the first place because it was something that shouldn't have been a big deal and he just needed time to get over it.

Maybe other ISTJs can weigh in but for me, a day isn't that great a period of time. Perhaps you should tell him that so he knows.

Almost all of our fights have been aggravated due to poor communication.

Yep, nailed it. Just tell him what your needs are; I doubt he knows. We can be very clueless.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Oh wait nm i THINK i misread

... either way your post needs to be more concrete, i have virtually zero info to go with and just a very vague perspective that's practically useless in evaluating the situation.

obsidianpanther

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't know why I'm exactly like that to be honest, when people ask me if I'm fine, I always tell them I am even if I'm really pissed or sad, for some reason I just expect them to know, which may be what it's happening to him. He is acting like an ISTJ, or at least exactly how I would do things. Like [MENTION=20113]Tellenbach[/MENTION] said, tell him as we can be clueless.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm an ISTJ and my wife is INFJ. It's not uncommon to have similar challenges between us. She's very intense when it comes to problem. She wants to have them settled right away. They are like personal challenges for her. She can't leave the room/situation without having solved the issues. I on the other hand can be very relaxed about solving issues. I don't have to solve them right away, I can just push them aside and do something else. She keeps pushing on the issue and sometimes that irrates me to a point in which I tell "FINE!! It bothers me, let's solve the issue!". Having to resolve issues in a way that's not natural me, I can get tempered.

I don't know about you, but knowing what sets me off (and my wife) can help solving these issues.